* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What does everything think about the Buycks at PG situation...  (Read 10031 times)

SalsaMan

• Starter
Re: What does everything think about the Buycks at PG situation...
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 09:58:37 AM »
Come January it will be Cadougan.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 11:05:15 AM »
does it really matter who is the "PG" any way, the way we run our offense, players are all interchangable.  Buycks will see a lot of minutes this year regardless of spot he is at.  I think many people get to wrapped up in defining positions anymore.  Buzz has said he wants basketball players, who can shoot, pass and dribble and be a threat
I have been arguing that. Cadougan is clearly the best point guard, but he is not the best guard. Buzz's offense does not rely on a point guard. Buzz's defense relies on guards applying pressure so that we do not get dominated in the paint. As far as defense Cadougan is thrid behind Buyckes and Smith.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »
My gut feeling is that by Big East play...Junior and Reggie will be splitting minutes pretty evenly.  They'll both be able to play like junk yard dogs, as neither will have to go 35 minutes per game..but instead a comfy 15-20 each.  They both bring different things to the table, and think both will have value to the team this year.  Think the job will be for Buzz to figure out who plays best with Junior..and who plays best with Reggie..certainly could be some overlap there..but there very well may be a distinction..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 06:13:30 AM »
The guy who should be groomed for PG is Blue-----has a John Wall style especially in space.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 08:21:53 AM »
The guy who should be groomed for PG is Blue-----has a John Wall style especially in space.
Murf you are in a long line of people that are overrating Blue.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 06:05:32 PM »
bilsu----not really overrating Blue. I agree he will underachieve expectations at wing or #2 guard, but believe he would overachieve after some training and experience at PG-----he's got John Wall expertise right now on transition----needs to play PG----he's a lot better when he can dribble the ball into the half court----not as good when he has to receive the ball in the half court.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 06:15:43 PM »
I think Blue simply needs time. There's no doubt that he is an immensely talented player. Possibly the best raw talent we've seen since Wade, definitely since the Three Amigos. But the problem there is that he's still raw. I really hope that he can be a defensive stopper because that will get him time on the court. The rest of his game can develop from there. Could he be a great point guard? Possibly. John Wall level? That may be a stretch, let's not forget Wall was a consensus top-2 high school player and the top pick in the NBA draft. But either way, he will need to develop, as I don't really think anyone outside of pundits who haven't watched this team over the summer and fall believe he's ready to start now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 06:25:15 PM »
Blue performed at an extremely high level for the U-18 national team.    As a third guard/defender/glue guy.   And according to Buzz, his attitude has been great.   But he is our 4th best point guard at this point.   That is what is best for the team.    And that is what matters.   It could change at some future time, but right now he is best suited for the wing. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 06:40:08 PM »
Pwer to the Tower!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010, 06:42:45 PM »
Blue starts by BE season.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 06:52:04 PM »
Blue starts by BE season.

To me..if this happened it would mean Buycks and or Cadougan/Smith really haven't played well.  While I love Vander...I think he is definitely a year away from contributing offensively...and will be a great defensive stopper/lock down defender type that Buzz goes to as he sees fit/needed if we are getting lit up by someone.

Reggie Smith to me..will emerge as the guy who will command half if not 75% of minutes allocated to a true "point guard," and Buzz very well may not choose to play a traditional point guard at times.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2010, 06:56:18 PM »
I don't see Blue starting much at all this season. I really think Cadougan is the best game manager at the point, and Smith is the best option as a change of pace. DJO's going nowhere, neither is Butler. And it seems that the rest of the starting spots will be frontcourt positions for Fulce, Crowder, and Otule to battle over.

If Blue gets a starting position this season, I have to think it will be at either the 2 or the 3, and it will mean one of our two best players are injured, which I really don't like to think about.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 06:42:42 AM »
Don't forget Buzz's mantra that he wants to recruit a 1 every year.

And now we have many lobbying for Blue to be the Point.

Think about the above. By the time JC is a senior, with Blue also playing Point and recruiting a Point each year, we will have 5, count them 5, points on the roster.

Sounds ridiculous to me.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 07:35:02 AM »
Our best lineup....  Junior or Smith, DJO, Blue, Butler, Crowder

We are not over hyping Vander.  I like to think I have somewhat of an eye for talent, with that being said he is going to be a stud.  This is just my opinion though.  Let's wait and see what happens.  When I review the box score from the Washington game ( + others) last year and look at the minutes played and who played them my expectations for this year go up and up.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 07:59:02 AM »
Reggie Smith to me..will emerge as the guy who will command half if not 75% of minutes allocated to a true "point guard," and Buzz very well may not choose to play a traditional point guard at times.

Reggie isn't a "true point guard" either.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 08:08:55 AM »
Don't forget Buzz's mantra that he wants to recruit a 1 every year.

"Mantra?" 

You guys are way overblowing what was basically an off-handed comment.  He wants to recruit guards capable of playing the point every year.  That means we are going to get some pure point guards (like Junior), but a bunch of combo guards (like Buycks, Reggie, Blue and DWil)

Yet again, you are making the mistake of trying to pigeon hole players by specific positions, when Buzz doesn't seem to see it that way.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 08:25:49 AM »

"Mantra?" 

You guys are way overblowing what was basically an off-handed comment.  He wants to recruit guards capable of playing the point every year.  That means we are going to get some pure point guards (like Junior), but a bunch of combo guards (like Buycks, Reggie, Blue and DWil)

Yet again, you are making the mistake of trying to pigeon hole players by specific positions, when Buzz doesn't seem to see it that way.
I have no problems with some players being "wing" type to play multiple positions, but some players must be "pigeon holed" as you say in order to compete in BEast. Otule and Gardner are definitely post/power players, and we need to have more than two for Conference play. Ending up with 5 points limits your abilityy to play big. We are not going to win BEast titles and advance into NCAA without some reliable power players. The philosophy of playing a 6'5" Hayward or 6'7" Butler (not their true positions) in the post may be OK for the Prairie Views but won't get the job done in big time games.

So yes, you do need to pigeon hole some players as Point and Post and not get 6 wings, 4 points and 1 or 2 tweeners for post.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 08:28:03 AM »
Our best lineup....  Junior or Smith, DJO, Blue, Butler, Crowder

We are not over hyping Vander.  I like to think I have somewhat of an eye for talent, with that being said he is going to be a stud.  This is just my opinion though.  Let's wait and see what happens.  When I review the box score from the Washington game ( + others) last year and look at the minutes played and who played them my expectations for this year go up and up.
I do not disagree that this is best line-up, except in games with big matchups, you have to give Otule/Gardner/Fulce 30 minutes per game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »
I have no problems with some players being "wing" type to play multiple positions, but some players must be "pigeon holed" as you say in order to compete in BEast. Otule and Gardner are definitely post/power players, and we need to have more than two for Conference play. Ending up with 5 points limits your abilityy to play big. We are not going to win BEast titles and advance into NCAA without some reliable power players. The philosophy of playing a 6'5" Hayward or 6'7" Butler (not their true positions) in the post may be OK for the Prairie Views but won't get the job done in big time games.

So yes, you do need to pigeon hole some players as Point and Post and not get 6 wings, 4 points and 1 or 2 tweeners for post.

My point is that you bring up playing time and saying we will have five points on the roster.  The fact is that with many of these guys, Buzz can mix and match line ups depending on the opposition.  So by the time he is a senior, Junior might be on the floor with Reggie and DWil at the same time.  Now one of them may be the primary point, but that doesn't mean that the others have no role to play.

I think it is more accurate to say that Buzz wants guards who can play point in every class.

feedback