* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Elonsmusk
[Today at 08:19:42 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who did MU choke more against?

Missouri
Washington
They didn't choke in either of those games

Author Topic: NCAA Tourney  (Read 10033 times)

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
NCAA Tourney
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:38:07 AM »
Missouri:  Game tied and we foul and send tiller to the line.  He's injured so english comes in and makes them both for a 2 point lead. then lazar turnover from stepping on the line.  the rest is history....

Washington:  gave up big lead in second half and didn't make a field goal the last 4:33 of play.  Nerves go the better of DJO when he couldn't handle a pass that went out of bounds, and lack of D fense and post presense to stop a drive for the win.

GGGG

• All American
Re: NCAA Tourney
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 11:49:57 AM »
This is a pretty silly question.

Against Mizzou, we came back from way back to even make it a game.  Against UW, it was clear that their style was going to give us fits no matter how many times we played the game.

Neither was a choke.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 11:56:35 AM »
We overperformed last year, and a team that many people wrote off made it to the tourney as a 5th seed. Against Mizzou we had a great team. Dominic maybe should have sat that one out, but I think that with the team we had that year Mizzou was a bigger choke

reinko

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
Missouri:  Game tied and we foul and send tiller to the line.  He's injured so english comes in and makes them both for a 2 point lead. then lazar turnover from stepping on the line.  the rest is history....

Washington:  gave up big lead in second half and didn't make a field goal the last 4:33 of play.  Nerves go the better of DJO when he couldn't handle a pass that went out of bounds, and lack of D fense and post presense to stop a drive for the win.

Question been brewing for the past 7 months...and you woke up today and was like "yeah, today is the day.  Friday the 13th of August is the day.  I'm going for it.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:37:34 PM »

FYP

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 12:42:41 PM »
If any game was to be labeled a "choke" it would have to be the Washington game.  Simply due to the fact that we led by double digits in the second half.  personally i dont think either game was a choke though...both games were against more talented and more importantly deeper teams.  the source of that problem now resides in Bloomington.

Going forward, if and when we choke it can truly be labeled a choke versus a team the last two years that was fighting and clawing against a deeper more talented and  taller team.

LON

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 01:11:49 PM »
Players may not have stepped up when called upon, but your (bigdawgdude) statement in the other thread was:

"mustache bro, are you saying that buzz is a good coach if he doesn't get big guys?  A good coach needs to make a team, and not a bunch of summer league "ballers" that choke under pressure.  MU has had final four guard play, but a team is built from the ground up not guards all the way to more guards.  Buzz hasn't given his players an ounce of confidence.  Example: every NCAA tourney choke he has coached in."

So who is doing the choking in your scenarios?  Buzz?  The players?  Both?

Question been brewing for the past 7 months...and you woke up today and was like "yeah, today is the day.  Friday the 13th of August is the day.  I'm going for it.

+1

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 01:29:46 PM »
Buzz's lack of preparation for big moments and attitude that winning one game in big east play is like winning the super bowl.  example: Louisville

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 01:39:24 PM »
5'8 (maybe), 6'0 (maybe)  6'2, 6'2, 6'6 (maybe) 6'6, 6'7 (maybe).    There are many high schools in the country that have rotations taller and deeper than that.    You hate blowing big leads, but sometimes a lack of bench causes a team to hit a wall.   It happened early in the year against FSU, it happened in the BEast tourney against G-town.     Short with no bench leaves no room for error.   Buzz' teams play with an abundance of confidence.    The prior year, the team was a broken bone in DJ's foot from being able to make a E8 run.   
     Finally, the tourney is a crapshoot.   Buzz has been a D1 coach for 3 years.    I really hate to borrow from Chico, but why don't we give the guy a few more years to learn/grow/develop his own game before we say his teams choke.      Troll.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 01:44:56 PM »
Amen, Tower

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »
butler got burned 1 on 1 with pondexter.  a guy who is 6' 6"....no difference in height, just no help D or even mindset to stop him.  DJ never got better as a player from the day he walked into marquette, and a team that does that 2 years in a row is no fluke.

PS about the Troll thing....Winners don't make excuses they just do it bro

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 01:47:52 PM »
For some reason the Mizzou game still gives me nightmares, maybe it's because I live in KC and know many Tiger fans.  However, we did get them on our Final 4 run, so I guess we're even, maybe....

I really thought Washington played well in the second half.  We could not seem to match their intensity.  I'm giving all the credit to Washington for having a great second half as opposed to a MU choke.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 01:58:34 PM »
The prior year, the team was a broken bone in DJ's foot from being able to make a E8 run.   

Not disagreeing with you here but Ners would argue that it is purely the coach's responsibility to prepare/develop the backup talent to virtually pick up where the injured player left off. Personally, I think Ners is a complete moron...but that's just my opinion. He blamed Syracuse's Sweet 16 loss to the fact that Boeheim didnt develop their backup center to replace the production of Onuaku who was hurt right before the start of the NCAA tournament. Just stupid logic ::)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 02:07:37 PM »
butler got burned 1 on 1 with pondexter.  a guy who is 6' 6"....no difference in height, just no help D or even mindset to stop him.  DJ never got better as a player from the day he walked into marquette, and a team that does that 2 years in a row is no fluke.

Most players have trouble guarding someone their own size when the offensive player is going hard to the hole.   That is when the big guy coming over to play help defense is so important.    Butler was our big guy.   Last year's team got the max it could have out of its talent.   Failed to make a couple of big stops at important times, though.   It sucks, but only one team ends the year happy.    Trolls just go around throwing chum on the water because they fear life outside their parents basement.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LON

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 02:11:14 PM »

You still haven't answered my question, bro.

Who choked in the Mizzou and Washington games?

LON

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 02:15:41 PM »

Pondexter may be 6'6" but he was also a 1st round pick this year...

And Butler didn't have the mindset to stop him?  Please articulate that some more, I'm curious how you arrived at that opinion.

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
what about the help D.  Pondexter took it full court, it wasn't just a 1 on 1 situation, someone should have stopped ball, at least if buzz had taught them to in a situation like this.  They played it safe because they exceeded buzz's expectations.  They see a guy who gets pumped and dances like a degenerate when they beat Louisville by more than 10.  act like you've won a game before buzz, come on.  then in the big east tourney they gave up, because once again they exceeded buzz's expectations.  He and every other MU fan was happy with the win vs villanova.

don't say they were tired either.  a 40 minute game a day giving it your all when you play college ball should be nothing.  they get a break after every couple of minutes

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 02:21:29 PM »
lancesfavoritenutsucker:  in case you haven't been paying attention, I have stated buzz choked by not preparing a team for it all.  He prepared them to exceed expectations, not to win a national championship.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »
I'll admit it. Pondexter broke JB's ankles out there. Or he fell down, whatever. It was not a pretty sight. I say UW. The Mizzou game was more just we got screwed/unlucky.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 02:25:48 PM »
then why do teams sub at all?  

giving your all and not being tired are two completely different things...the guy crawling across the finish line of a triathalon is giving his all yet is tired.  

based on your few comments my guess is you are a drunk FFP'er who never played the game before.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 02:27:24 PM »
lancesfavoritenutsucker:  in case you haven't been paying attention, I have stated buzz choked by not preparing a team for it all.  He prepared them to exceed expectations, not to win a national championship.

Buzz sounds like that idiot Brad stevens down at Butler seeing how Stevens apparently made the same mistakes.

Boy are those two stupid!

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 02:31:15 PM »
don't say they were tired either.  a 40 minute game a day giving it your all when you play college ball should be nothing.  they get a break after every couple of minutes

notice how i said a 40 minute game giving it your all.  it means we had a small bench and the players needed to give more of themselves out there to make up for it.

What other reason would a college basketball player be tired in a game besides giving their all on D and O?

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »
based on your few comments my guess is you are a drunk FFP'er who never played the game before.

Good argument.....where did Buzz play again?

LON

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 02:39:45 PM »
So the players gave their all, but they should have given more?

You're a douche-canoe, I figured I'd come down to your level.  Maybe then I'll be able to comprehend the crap you're spraying all over this thread.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »
I blame Mbakwe for the new MU Scoop message board presence known as bigdawgdude. Only Mbakwe could be behind such asinine comments.

EDITED to correct spelling errors and grammatical mis-steps attributable to Mbakwe.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:48:32 PM by MUCam »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »
bigdawgdude - What are your thoughts on the Newbill situation?

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »
wow...

I guess this board is for excuse makers.  It seems like everything someone posts bad or indifferent about Marquette is just hated on.  Do you not accept the fact that Marquette has not done S*** the last couple seasons?  Do you not see they are weak and sloppy with leads and when it matters most?  maybe you all are too busy making excuses and using defense mechanisms to realize that Marquette basketball is not OK under Buzz.  We will have good recruits but will choke and choke again.  that's how it works with a coach that gets WAY too excited when they are winning......you end up loosing the lead

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 02:54:28 PM »
So NateDogg makes his triumphant message board return...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 02:55:07 PM »
wow...

I guess this board is for excuse makers.  It seems like everything someone posts bad or indifferent about Marquette is just hated on.  Do you not accept the fact that Marquette has not done S*** the last couple seasons?  Do you not see they are weak and sloppy with leads and when it matters most?  maybe you all are too busy making excuses and using defense mechanisms to realize that Marquette basketball is not OK under Buzz.  We will have good recruits but will choke and choke again.  that's how it works with a coach that gets WAY too excited when they are winning......you end up loosing the lead

So, when did MU "loose" the lead in that Louisville game you like to reference?

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 02:55:48 PM »
newbill is a total

oh s*** why did we give average joe Newbill a schollie.....we are going to get it on this one

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2010, 02:56:56 PM »
its a metaphor for his coaching and seasons.  I meant season not lead my apologies

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
wow...

I guess this board is for excuse makers.  It seems like everything someone posts bad or indifferent about Marquette is just hated on.  Do you not accept the fact that Marquette has not done S*** the last couple seasons?  Do you not see they are weak and sloppy with leads and when it matters most?  maybe you all are too busy making excuses and using defense mechanisms to realize that Marquette basketball is not OK under Buzz.  We will have good recruits but will choke and choke again.  that's how it works with a coach that gets WAY too excited when they are winning......you end up loosing the lead

This totally because that ass wipe Crean left Buzz with abate cupboard.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:02:29 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 03:00:14 PM »
Like how buzz wet himself over the defeat of Louisville then MU got owned at the end of ND game,  it all has to do with keeping your mojo in a steady spot and not over or under doing it.

Ask Phil Jacksons incents he burns in the lakers locker room.....hes the zen master

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 03:01:07 PM »
To me the Stanford game was the toughest defeat as I believe that was our best opportunity to advance far(everyone healthy) in the tourney and we had the #2 seed down literally to the final second in their backyard.

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 03:04:06 PM »

yeah leaving him with dj, jerel, wes, and lazar and a top 15 recruiting class would be really hard to deal with wouldn't it.......thats final four talent, no bull about it

LON

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »
wow...

Says the guy calling me a "nutsucker"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 03:11:10 PM »

yeah leaving him with dj, jerel, wes, and lazar and a top 15 recruiting class would be really hard to deal with wouldn't it.......thats final four talent, no bull about it

Yep, hard to win with talent.that averages 6'2". FF tplayers, hardly.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »
started last season with 6' 10" co 6' 7" ewill 6' 7" fulce 6'7" butler 6'6" maymon 6'6" lazar and guards....i don't understand how buzz was left without height.

what Buzz did with those players was make it butler and lazar and barley fulce.

LON

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »
started last season with 6' 10" co 6' 7" ewill 6' 7" fulce 6'7" butler 6'6" maymon 6'6" lazar and guards....i don't understand how buzz was left without height.

what Buzz did with those players was make it butler and lazar and barley fulce.

So now it's Buzz' fault that CO got hurt and Fulce (still getting up to speed due to a previous injury) and Williams couldn't properly adjust on defense.  You know, the Erik Williams, that in HS, played a roving shot-blocker.

Just stop.  Your credibility can't go much lower.

EDIT:  You throw in Maymon and E. Williams but your original assertion was regarding McNeal, Matthews, and James' senior year they were FF talent...you're all over the place.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:21:25 PM by LancesOtherNut »

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »
well wes dj and jerels team didn't average 6'2" so......

bigdawgdude

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »
you don't think it's the coaches fault when multiple players get injured in practice?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2010, 03:31:55 PM »
So now it's Buzz' fault that CO got hurt and Fulce (still getting up to speed due to a previous injury) and Williams couldn't properly adjust on defense.  You know, the Erik Williams, that in HS, played a roving shot-blocker.

Just stop.  Your credibility can't go much lower.

I wouldn't try to argue. The ESPN messageboards have already spoken about Buzz.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2010, 03:52:55 PM »
then why do teams sub at all?  

giving your all and not being tired are two completely different things...the guy crawling across the finish line of a triathalon is giving his all yet is tired.  

When I find myself reading a Canadian Dimes response to a poster, and nodding my head in complete agreement, I know it is time to put said poster on ignore.

Welcome back NateDogg.  Your incoherence and lack of logic were not missed.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2010, 04:04:44 PM »
wow...

I hate it when we loose the lead.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 04:20:09 PM »
Another Newbil post and Im goin to loose it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »
Another Newbil post and Im goin to loose it.

You people need to losen up.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »
As a fully decorated grammar nazi this thread is gonna make me loose my mind :(

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2010, 04:48:27 PM »
You guys need to relax and burn some incents
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2010, 05:37:50 PM »
I'm laughing at this whole page.  Don't stop now - any of you.  (I must be punchy from watching the golf pros flailing away on that horsepucky piece of wasteland they call "Whistling Straits."  No straits, no whistling.  Pete Dye sure conned gazillionaire Kohler into building that piece of "Disneyland North." didn't he?"
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Sawsi

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2010, 07:34:42 PM »
You guys need to relax and burn some incents

Haha.  Incents is the best part of this thread.

Work that inner chi.  ::)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2010, 09:06:02 PM »
wow...

I'm not an excuse maker, but you have to come with more than silly cliches like "Buzz prepares his team to exceed expectations but not to win championships."  I mean, WTF does that even mean?  "Did we choke more against Mizzou or UW?"  I mean, can you even *define* what you mean by choke?  The two were completely different games played by vastly different MU teams against different opponents.  I guess since we lost, that means we choked in your book.

Do many people share concerns with Buzz?  Yeah...he's not exactly a proven coach.  But by and large I am satisfied with what I hae seen.  He recruits well and gets his guys to play hard.  He's not the best tactician in the world, but he's not been playing with a full deck as yet.  But please don't come around here talking a bunch of crappy cliches and  act like we are basketball novices

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2010, 11:00:08 PM »
MU should have beaten Washington.  We had a huge lead in the second half and let it go.  Missouri, we weren't supposed to beat them, trailed huge, came back but I wouldn't say that was a choke.

Not sure I would call the Washington game a choke, but a game we should have won.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2010, 11:05:35 PM »
MU should have beaten Washington.  We Marquette had a huge lead in the second half and let it go.  Missouri, we Marquette weren't  wasn't supposed to beat them, trailed huge, came back but I wouldn't say that was a choke.

Not sure I would call the Washington game a choke, but a game we Marquette should have won.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2010, 05:46:32 PM »
Jay Bee,

My apologies for using the term "we" when referencing my alma mater. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »
This will probably not be a popular statement here, but it was Hayward who choked in both games. Against Missouri Hayward has a great offensive rebound and basket to tie it up.  But then he went from hero to goat by stepping over the inbounds line. Against Washington with less than a minute to go Hayward takes a quick three that was not even a good three.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2010, 06:55:15 PM »
JayBoy is the LAST person that can call someone out for the use of "we"...

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2010, 09:06:29 PM »
And the point of this thread is what again?

Thank God it's only 60 days until Marquette Madness.
The General has taken on a new command.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »
And the point of this thread is what again?

Eye think sum people where talking about witch game was a bigger choke for Market... misery or you double you.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2010, 10:56:12 PM »
Thank God it's only 60 days until Marquette Madness.

who cars about madness what about the scrimage against virginia? if they choke and loose it could hurt seeding in march.