[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA to allow NIL?  (Read 29322 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: NCAA to allow NIL?
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2019, 09:21:38 AM »
The advisement of one of the largest sports media agencies in the USA and their COO telling me exactly that yesterday...they would be fools to not say it for pure recruiting advantages alone.  The same reason why other states suddenly submitted copy cat bills because they were worried their state would be at a recruiting disadvantage.  It is easy for the coaches to do and keep their distance from the athletic dept stance, which will be to work within the college model.
I highly doubt other states submitted bills due to a recruiting disadvantage. My opinion they submitted bills because 1. a majority of their constituency thinks its the right thing, and  to a lesser extent 2. tax dollars that can be created

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2019, 09:31:21 AM »
I highly doubt other states submitted bills due to a recruiting disadvantage. My opinion they submitted bills because 1. a majority of their constituency thinks its the right thing, and  to a lesser extent 2. tax dollars that can be created

It was literally one of the reasons given by lawmakers in Florida, Illinois, etc...they didn’t want to put their schools at a disadvantage.  I am absolutely in agreement that revenue is a key to it and a major reason.

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20191028/pritzker-backs-bill-allowing-college-athletes-to-collect-endorsement-deals

Add Georgia as well

“Georgia state Rep. Billy Mitchell, who is sponsoring the Georgia measure, worries that moves in California and Florida would put Georgia schools at a disadvantage in recruiting athletes.”
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:56:24 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2019, 09:42:01 AM »
The advisement of one of the largest sports media agencies in the USA and their COO telling me exactly that yesterday...they would be fools to not say it for pure recruiting advantages alone.  The same reason why other states suddenly submitted copy cat bills because they were worried their state would be at a recruiting disadvantage.  It is easy for the coaches to do and keep their distance from the athletic dept stance, which will be to work within the college model.

So no coaches just vested people who want to keep costs down. Thanks.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2019, 09:51:17 AM »
So no coaches just vested people who want to keep costs down. Thanks.

Sigh.  Uhm, schools aren’t paying NIL...remember?   
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2019, 11:39:22 AM »
Sigh.  Uhm, schools aren’t paying NIL...remember?

Now that the NCAA has made their initial vote known, most coaches in America have no choice but to say how much they support it even if 48 hours earlier they didn’t.  Purely a recruiting position now.  Note I said most

Sigh. You make this statement about coaches and then quote agents and sports executives as the source. And then sigh when I play your source back to you.

Your goal post shifting makes you a great Bears placekicking fit. Applications are open.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2019, 02:46:00 PM »
Marquette making it clear where they stand:

https://twitter.com/muwiresports/status/1189612728639524864?s=21

Doing the math...25 years too late...Wojo wishes it had been there in 1994. Hmm...who was a freshman at Duke in 1994, Coach? 😆
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »

Doing the math...25 years too late...Wojo wishes it had been there in 1994. Hmm...who was a freshman at Duke in 1994, Coach? 😆
Not afraid, hey?
Goal is National Championship

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2019, 03:38:52 PM »
Sigh. You make this statement about coaches and then quote agents and sports executives as the source. And then sigh when I play your source back to you.

Your goal post shifting makes you a great Bears placekicking fit. Applications are open.

I did not quote agents...I said agency.  Sigh

The firm I was talking about are experts in the sports media and sports business space.  I think you may wish to reread what I said.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2019, 03:44:15 PM »

Letter to Coach Wojo: Markus is getting more endorsement money than the rest of us combined. How the hell do you expect us to make any cash when Markus is hogging the ball and getting on Sportscenter every night. I think the rest of us will just play keep away when Markus is on the court.

Good Luck Coach

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2019, 03:50:46 PM »
I did not quote agents...I said agency.  Sigh

The firm I was talking about are experts in the sports media and sports business space.  I think you may wish to reread what I said.

My insurance agent works for an insurance agency.  In no way is a sports agency a coach, which you quoted in your attribution.

Maybe you should stop making stuff up.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2019, 04:04:23 PM »
Guys, this is a very interesting subject. This thread could get long over the next year as things develop. I think the fine print shows that the NCAA is trying to control things rather than open them up. Time will tell - which is why this could become lengthy.

In the meantime, pLease don’t let the same old troll completely sidetrack it.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2019, 04:07:22 PM »
who the troll though

MU82

• All American
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2019, 04:34:09 PM »
Just saw an interesting interview of Jay Bilas, a strong proponent of college athletes' rights. He thinks this "move" by the NCAA is a delay tactic, and thinks they eventually will come out with an extremely weak plan, filled with restrictions, that will do little to satisfy those who want legitimate change.

"What they really said is, 'We're gonna allow WiFi, but only in Amish areas.'"

Great line.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2019, 04:41:33 PM »
Just saw an interesting interview of Jay Bilas, a strong proponent of college athletes' rights. He thinks this "move" by the NCAA is a delay tactic, and thinks they eventually will come out with an extremely weak plan, filled with restrictions, that will do little to satisfy those who want legitimate change.

"What they really said is, 'We're gonna allow WiFi, but only in Amish areas.'"

Great line.
Yeah the problem with NIL is that it doesn't address the athlete's real value which is to the program they play for. If NIL was unrestricted then it could be a workable solution to that issue, but if they're going to prohibit people giving them money to come play for their favorite team, then we're still stuck with that problem and have a whole new set of regulations for the NCAA to enforce.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2019, 06:10:06 PM »
Guys, this is a very interesting subject. This thread could get long over the next year as things develop.
Or, and hear me out here, this could be the first of 13 similar threads, each created in succession after the previous one is closed.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2019, 06:56:18 PM »
Or, and hear me out here, this could be the first of 13 similar threads, each created in succession after the previous one is closed.

Indeed, the Jayce Johnson injury thread has turned into an NIL thread already. As you say, plenty more to come over the next several years.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2019, 06:59:07 PM »
Indeed, the Jayce Johnson injury thread has turned into an NIL thread already.

Guilty (of contributing to that, though not starting it). In my defense, I didn’t realize what thread I was in. I couldn’t figure out why my post seemed to have disappeared from this thread.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2019, 07:07:46 PM »
Guilty (of contributing to that, though not starting it). In my defense, I didn’t realize what thread I was in. I couldn’t figure out why my post seemed to have disappeared from this thread.

Understood. Sometimes Scoop is like the Twilight Zone.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2019, 10:40:49 PM »
Now that the NCAA has made their initial vote known, most coaches in America have no choice but to say how much they support it even if 48 hours earlier they didn’t.  Purely a recruiting position now.  Note I said most

So those coaches who support it are either stupid or phonies. Really? Which are you calling ours?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2019, 05:11:20 PM »
Seth Greenberg
@SethOnHoops
The @NCAA
 generates money but  how many business models run 90 championships but only 5 generate revenue. A real business would probably shut down properties that continually lose large sums of money year after year.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »
Seth Greenberg
@SethOnHoops
The @NCAA
 generates money but  how many business models run 90 championships but only 5 generate revenue. A real business would probably shut down properties that continually lose large sums of money year after year.

5? Football and B-ball. I can see the Frozen four generating money but hockey overall no. What's the 5th?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2019, 07:51:07 PM »
5? Football and B-ball. I can see the Frozen four generating money but hockey overall no. What's the 5th?

CWS and Volleyball is my guess.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2019, 07:59:43 PM »
CWS and Volleyball is my guess.

Yeah I could see the CWS generating something I guess. Can't imagine volleyball. But I'm too removed to know
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2019, 08:05:50 PM »
The Big Ten Conference released a statement Thursday morning in reaction to recent NCAA information regarding compensation of student athletes and likeness policy. The NCAA revealed Tuesday a vote to permit athletes from profiting upon their likeness.

The Big Ten, as it transitions out of Jim Delany’s long-standing tenure as commissioner, issued a statement.

“The Big Ten Conference recognizes the NCAA Board of Governors and the NCAA Federal and State Legislative Working Group for their hard work in developing recommendations to the NCAA membership for consideration in developing new rules relating to opportunities for students who participate in intercollegiate athletics to benefit from their name, image and likeness in a manner that is consistent with the collegiate model and legal precedent.

The Big Ten Conference and its member institutions will review and discuss these recommendations over the next several months as we work together to determine what new rules should be proposed for approval. We believe that education is the foundation of the collegiate model, that it is our first priority and that it must continue to be so if the model is to be sustainable on our campuses. We believe that our students who participate in intercollegiate athletics are students, not employees. We also believe that our students who participate in intercollegiate athletics are not professional athletes, that they are not paid to play their sports and that any payment for name, image or likeness cannot be used as a substitute for compensation related to athletic performance or participation. We also believe that whatever rules are adopted in this area, in order to allow for a national system of recruiting, competition and fair play, must apply nationally. Our collegiate model cannot be sustained if the rules are applied on a state-by-state basis.

The Big Ten Conference thanks Michael Drake, President of The Ohio State University and chair of the NCAA Board of Governors, and Gene Smith, Director of Athletics at The Ohio State University and co-chair of the Working Group, for their leadership on this issue and looks forward to working with others to create a national framework that is consistent with the principles unanimously approved by the NCAA Board of Governors.”
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2019, 08:22:33 PM »
The Big Ten Conference released a statement Thursday morning in reaction to recent NCAA information regarding compensation of student athletes and likeness policy. The NCAA revealed Tuesday a vote to permit athletes from profiting upon their likeness.

The Big Ten, as it transitions out of Jim Delany’s long-standing tenure as commissioner, issued a statement.

“The Big Ten Conference recognizes the NCAA Board of Governors and the NCAA Federal and State Legislative Working Group for their hard work in developing recommendations to the NCAA membership for consideration in developing new rules relating to opportunities for students who participate in intercollegiate athletics to benefit from their name, image and likeness in a manner that is consistent with the collegiate model and legal precedent.

The Big Ten Conference and its member institutions will review and discuss these recommendations over the next several months as we work together to determine what new rules should be proposed for approval. We believe that education is the foundation of the collegiate model, that it is our first priority and that it must continue to be so if the model is to be sustainable on our campuses. We believe that our students who participate in intercollegiate athletics are students, not employees. We also believe that our students who participate in intercollegiate athletics are not professional athletes, that they are not paid to play their sports and that any payment for name, image or likeness cannot be used as a substitute for compensation related to athletic performance or participation. We also believe that whatever rules are adopted in this area, in order to allow for a national system of recruiting, competition and fair play, must apply nationally. Our collegiate model cannot be sustained if the rules are applied on a state-by-state basis.

The Big Ten Conference thanks Michael Drake, President of The Ohio State University and chair of the NCAA Board of Governors, and Gene Smith, Director of Athletics at The Ohio State University and co-chair of the Working Group, for their leadership on this issue and looks forward to working with others to create a national framework that is consistent with the principles unanimously approved by the NCAA Board of Governors.”

I really thought the Big 14 would adopt the Ivy League model like Diamond Jim Delany suggested a few years back
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.