'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Call me crazy but......  (Read 2540 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Call me crazy but......
« on: December 11, 2023, 07:15:12 PM »
We're not quite there yet....meaning playing F4/net cutting hoops.  We went medieval the first few minutes against Notre Lame but remember that's a Q5 or whatever opponent.   Our 3pt percentage is like #180.  We can kick that up significantly. Our rebounding vs Wisky was a dumpster fire, that just can't happen.  We at times over pressure and get caught on skates with the opponents dribble drive.  I understand forcing turns is part of our repertoire but against elite competition this could cost us.

Now I know full well I'm nitpicking and have anxiety issues.  In a perfect world we would obliterate every team and they would be introduced  to darkness within 5 mins of clock time.  Sadly this isn't realistic,  at least not this year.  That said where do you experts see areas we can improve?

My belief is we are at our best when Oso is involved early.  I would also say that the production and consistency of Jop, Chase, Ben, and JTY are the ultimate X factors against the UCONNS, ZONAS, etc.  The good news is we haven't played anywhere near our A game in my judgment.  Anyhow, and again I'm nitpicking, how do we go from really good to the medieval level in your estimation?  Is there anything you would tweak?  Ty. 

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
Re: Call me crazy but......
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 07:25:30 PM »
Good thoughts.
The truth is MU is crazy scary good  ;D...but not all the time  :-\. Can we put that together for the 6 games in a row when we need it the most? We have a whole season to see...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 07:27:28 PM »
We’ve played 40 minutes of bad basketball this year. Were top 10 in offensive and defensive efficiency at KenPom (or at least did very recently). Just enjoy the ride. No team in the history of college or NBA basketball has or will ever put games away in the first 5 minutes of every game. That’s absurd.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 07:28:40 PM »
Crazy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 07:29:04 PM »
See Pudner's article.   Keep the rebounding  close, win the turnover battle, shoot 3's at a reasonable clip.    Do those three things and MU is very difficult to beat.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 07:29:53 PM »
We’ve played 40 minutes of bad basketball this year. Were top 10 in offensive and defensive efficiency at KenPom (or at least did very recently). Just enjoy the ride. No team in the history of college or NBA basketball has or will ever put games away in the first 5 minutes of every game. That’s absurd.

We did Saturday.  I said in a perfect world.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 07:31:53 PM »

That would be an incredibly boring world.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 07:50:38 PM »

But an exciting season!

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 07:55:25 PM »
Said it in another thread. Thought the team played well the first half! the one glaring concern for me is this...

OSO - 28 mins, 3 rebounds
Jop - 22 mins, 1 rebound
Gold - 17 mins, 2 rebounds

Chase (a guard) our rebounded the combined three forwards by himself - 28 mins, 8 rebounds. As did Tyler, 27 mins, 7 rebounds.

5' 10" Sean FREAKIN Jones had 2 rebounds in 17 mins.

We will not reach our full potential until this is addressed.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 08:00:52 PM »
Said it in another thread. Thought the team played well the first half! the one glaring concern for me is this...

OSO - 28 mins, 3 rebounds
Jop - 22 mins, 1 rebound
Gold - 17 mins, 2 rebounds

Chase (a guard) our rebounded the combined three forwards by himself - 28 mins, 8 rebounds. As did Tyler, 27 mins, 7 rebounds.

5' 10" Sean FREAKIN Jones had 2 rebounds in 17 mins.

We will not reach our full potential until this is addressed.
I believe the important thing as that WE get the rebound….not who.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 08:02:18 PM »

How would this be boring?  What's wrong with you?

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 08:16:09 PM »
I believe the important thing as that WE get the rebound….not who.

It’s ok to assign responsibility and hold team members accountable. No reason Chase should EVER bring in more rebounds then those three guys combined.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 08:20:14 PM by goldeneagle91114 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 08:20:35 PM »

We did Saturday because we played a bad basketball team. If we're going to go to the Final Four or win a national championship, we will have to play good basketball teams.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2023, 08:24:59 PM »
We did Saturday because we played a bad basketball team. If we're going to go to the Final Four or win a national championship, we will have to play good basketball teams.

That's fair Brew. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2023, 08:38:07 PM »
Right now, we are playing at a great level 80% of the time and at an elite level 60% of the time per the T-Rank game scores. It's on par with the elite programs of the past decade and the elite programs this year. I think this is one of the most wide open years in a long time. Arizona, UConn, Purdue, Creighton, Baylor, Kansas, Houston, and yes, Marquette all look capable of winning six games in the Tournament. It's no guarantee one of them will, but if you gave me those eight against the field, I would take them without hesitation.

The only reason we aren't there yet is because the calendar hasn't turned to March yet. If this team continues to play at the level they are at with modest in-season improvement, there's no reason they can't cut nets on Shaka's birthday. None whatsoever.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 08:43:20 PM »
Right now, we are playing at a great level 80% of the time and at an elite level 60% of the time per the T-Rank game scores. It's on par with the elite programs of the past decade and the elite programs this year. I think this is one of the most wide open years in a long time. Arizona, UConn, Purdue, Creighton, Baylor, Kansas, Houston, and yes, Marquette all look capable of winning six games in the Tournament. It's no guarantee one of them will, but if you gave me those eight against the field, I would take them without hesitation.

The only reason we aren't there yet is because the calendar hasn't turned to March yet. If this team continues to play at the level they are at with modest in-season improvement, there's no reason they can't cut nets on Shaka's birthday. None whatsoever.

Well, that is 8 of the 12 teams that could win a title this year. Add Zags, Unc, OU and Tennessee(ironically I dont see it for any of these 4).

Its happy week 6 of the polls. One of the top 12 this week of the polls has won the tournament every year since 2004
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2023, 08:54:46 PM »
We had one bad game so far my guy.

I don't know why shaka stops the pressure against a team like the badgers, it confuses me.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2023, 08:58:43 PM »
Shaka shiits the bed against the Badgers...

I don't know why shaka stops the pressure against a team like the badgers, it confuses me.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2023, 09:22:24 PM »
How would this be boring?  What's wrong with you?
LOL
Goal is National Championship

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2023, 09:31:13 PM »
Well, that is 8 of the 12 teams that could win a title this year. Add Zags, Unc, OU and Tennessee(ironically I dont see it for any of these 4).

Its happy week 6 of the polls. One of the top 12 this week of the polls has won the tournament every year since 2004

Yeah, I left those four out for a reason  ;)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2023, 09:06:54 AM »
We're not quite there yet....meaning playing F4/net cutting hoops.  We went medieval the first few minutes against Notre Lame but remember that's a Q5 or whatever opponent.   Our 3pt percentage is like #180.  We can kick that up significantly. Our rebounding vs Wisky was a dumpster fire, that just can't happen.  We at times over pressure and get caught on skates with the opponents dribble drive.  I understand forcing turns is part of our repertoire but against elite competition this could cost us.

Now I know full well I'm nitpicking and have anxiety issues.  In a perfect world we would obliterate every team and they would be introduced  to darkness within 5 mins of clock time.  Sadly this isn't realistic,  at least not this year.  That said where do you experts see areas we can improve?

My belief is we are at our best when Oso is involved early.  I would also say that the production and consistency of Jop, Chase, Ben, and JTY are the ultimate X factors against the UCONNS, ZONAS, etc.  The good news is we haven't played anywhere near our A game in my judgment.  Anyhow, and again I'm nitpicking, how do we go from really good to the medieval level in your estimation?  Is there anything you would tweak?  Ty.

Our game against Kansas passed the A game eye test for me.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2023, 09:13:53 AM »

Madison is his home town.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2023, 09:25:41 AM »
Our game against Kansas passed the A game eye test for me.

A- game for me. Coulda hit the 3 better. Texas was an A+ though, I'd say.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2023, 09:37:56 AM »
Its December. Even with a bunch of veterans, there's always kinks to work out in the beginning of the season. We will get there.

We are fine. This is a top 5 team. We had a bad game against the Badgers. It happens. The Purdue game on a neutral court was nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm expecting 15-5 or better in the Big East. Think we drop on the road at UConn, on the road at Creighton, 1 random unexpected game at home and maybe a couple road duds. 17-3 is not out of the question though.

We should be 25-7 (at absolute worst) rolling into the postseason, and in the mix for a 1-2 seed, depending on performance in the BET.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 09:39:43 AM by Coleman »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2023, 09:39:12 AM »
Agreed.  If Wisconsin turns out to be the bad loss, MU will be just fine.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback