[Today at 06:46:43 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL head coach GOAT  (Read 1925 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: NFL head coach GOAT
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2024, 01:56:44 PM »
Yes. My bad as I remembered Johnson's defenses and conservative games. That said, the RPO has been transformational

Agree. 

In an alternate universe, he gets the Packers job after Holmgren.  Ron Wolf alludes to as much in his book about his time in Green Bay but he wanted a coach with experience.

Given Reid’s relationship with the Dongslinging Welfare Bandit, I wonder if he would have held him responsible instead of what happened which was Rhodes and Sherman not holding him responsible at all while head coach.  They might have gotten a second title instead of the Welfare Bandit “gunslinging” it to the opponent like political bribes in the post-season
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2024, 02:07:48 PM »
Honestly I think that's Wolf protecting his legacy a bit - as he is want to do. The Rhodes hire was a terrible one that everyone knew would be terrible.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2024, 02:19:03 PM »
Honestly I think that's Wolf protecting his legacy a bit - as he is want to do. The Rhodes hire was a terrible one that everyone knew would be terrible.

He admitted it was a terrible hire and that he screwed the pooch not giving more consideration to Reid
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2024, 04:31:10 PM »
He had a very good DC in Philly.  Jim Johnson was one of the best.

Johnson's sickness and untimely passing is what actually predicated the end of Reid in Philly, IMO.  McDermott stepped in and did not do well.  And Reid, in one of the most bizarre personnel moves in ages, essentially replaced Jim Johnson with Juan Castillo...the OL coach...on a team 2 years removed from the NFCC and who had just won 11 games in back to back years.  One of my roommates at the time was a huge Eagles fan and was actually speechless.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2024, 01:15:38 PM »
Lombardi was the best ever.

His downfall was he wasn’t a great personnel guy. Look up Jack Vainisi to see who the hero was in that regard.

Lombardi’s style would never work today.

Brother Semantics:

Right on! Jack Vainisi built that team, top to bottom. Lombardi worked to get people like Willie Wood, Willie Davis, Henry Jordan and Fuzzy Thurston, but the core of the team came through Vainisi and high draft choices brought about by the Packers general suckiness in the 1950s. Worth reading "When Pride Still Mattered" to see Vainisi's role.

The key on-the-field component was Bart Starr and he was a Lombardi creation. Starr was a 17th round draft choice. He was smart and tougher than nails. Lombardi made him among the best ever. In my view, Tom Brady and Bart Starr were the two best, ever. Starr was an incredibly decent human being to boot.

My choices for best coach ever.

Coach Lombardi
Don Shula
Bill Belichick
Tom Landry
Chuck Noll
Bill Walsh
Joe Gibbs
Bud Grant
Hank Stram
Jim Lee Howell

(spaces are deliberate)

George Halas
Mike Ditka

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2024, 01:56:42 PM »
Brother Semantics:

Right on! Jack Vainisi built that team, top to bottom. Lombardi worked to get people like Willie Wood, Willie Davis, Henry Jordan and Fuzzy Thurston, but the core of the team came through Vainisi and high draft choices brought about by the Packers general suckiness in the 1950s. Worth reading "When Pride Still Mattered" to see Vainisi's role.

The key on-the-field component was Bart Starr and he was a Lombardi creation. Starr was a 17th round draft choice. He was smart and tougher than nails. Lombardi made him among the best ever. In my view, Tom Brady and Bart Starr were the two best, ever. Starr was an incredibly decent human being to boot.

Coach Lombardi
Don Shula
Bill Belichick
Tom Landry
Chuck Noll
Bill Walsh
Joe Gibbs
Bud Grant
Hank Stram
Jim Lee Howell

The Vainisi Brothers had quite the legacy. Bud Grant in the Top 8?Good lord.

(space left to replicate the air between your ears)

I like this list.
https://athlonsports.com/nfl/25-greatest-head-coaches-nfl-history

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2024, 02:25:46 PM »
Brother Semantics:

Coach Lombardi
Don Shula
Bill Belichick
Tom Landry
Chuck Noll
Bill Walsh
Joe Gibbs
Bud Grant
Hank Stram
Jim Lee Howell

(spaces are deliberate)

George Halas
Mike Ditka

Parcells, Reed, and John Harbaugh need to replace the last three on the list.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2024, 02:26:59 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2024, 02:42:19 PM »
Agreed. Good list. I often forget how good Madden was.

Always a jolt to be reminded that Madden was just 42 when he retired from coaching.