* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Calvin Godfrey - eligible NOW  (Read 19366 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Calvin Godfrey - eligible NOW
« on: August 02, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »
You can search him and see past commentary.. we did play against him last year (opener vs. Southern). He fouled out and didn't have a great game, but did collect 11 rebounds (5 off) in 26 minutes.

@JBBauer612
Milwaukee kid Calvin Godfrey eligible to play this season - would #mubb consider? This is one I think you may want to.
Godfrey finished HS in Minn; played with ISU, Howard (Jae C), almost LSU & Southern. 6'9 defender, rebounder, MEAN! #mubb

His attitude and demeanor was always... rough... in high school. Then he had his share of issues once off to college. 1) Is Milwaukee not a good place for him to be? 2) Has he matured and ready to lead on the court?

Wojo.. my sense is he may want to pass on an opportunity like this, but I hope he strongly considers Godfrey. 6'9", a big, mean defensive presence who can rebound on both sides, block shots... inside game is there, draws fouls.

Was a big part of the poor Southern U offense last year, but was good (110 ORtg, 24% usage, 54.2% eFG [shot only 2FG's - he's an inside guy], got to the line a ton (67% when there).. 6.5% blk, 11.6 OR%, 23.5% DR%, to rate of only 15%.

18 & 9 (5 off) vs. Arizona last season.

As a frosh at Iowa State, 12% & 17% OR & DR, respectively.. 4.6%, 2.8% blk & stl.. 113 ORtg on 13% usage.

What he brings on the court would be ever so helpful. One year left to play. Risk? Certainly. Reward? Uh huh.

[PS - consider keeping overly-negative commentary off the board... if your opinion is you'd pass due to his past, fine... no need to expound on that stuff here]
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jsglow

• All American
Re: Calvin Godfrey - eligible NOW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »
Jay,

What circumstances make Godfrey available now with eligibility this year?  Not going to comment on his history.  I'll let Wojo and the Marquette administration figure that part out.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:03:16 AM »
Would his cousin Gilbert lead the We Are Marquette chant?

The horror!
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:16:33 AM »
Jay,

What circumstances make Godfrey available now with eligibility this year?  Not going to comment on his history.  I'll let Wojo and the Marquette administration figure that part out.

He should* be able to be brought into grad school and apply for a waiver. Not as straightforward for him because he's transferred in the past. It's possible there could be complications so not a #donedeal until you see him fully cleared.

To add a little more color BRIEFLY:
Lockett - "Graduate transfer exception" situation
Godfrey - No go on the exception, but "graduate transfer waiver" is possible (solid likelihood)
Carlino - more similar to Godfrey
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:24:08 PM by Jay Bee »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »
He should* be able to be brought into grad school and apply for a waiver. Not as straightforward for him because he's transferred in the past. It's possible there could be complications so not a #donedeal until you see him fully cleared.

Carlino - "Graduate transfer exception" situation
Godfrey - No go on the exception, but "graduate transfer waiver" is possible (solid likelihood)

Okay thanks.  Didn't know there were subtle differences.  Still sounds like a 'Russell Wilson' answer.  Good enough for me.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 11:19:59 AM »
I have no idea what his 'issues' might be but if he can grab double digit rebounds and give five fouls we should take him.

Death on call

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 11:20:07 AM »

Carlino - "Graduate transfer exception" situation

A 6'9" kid who has played at this level eligible to compete this season.  Sounds great to me.

Admittedly not knowing a thing about his academic situation, do you really think there's a snowball's chance in hell he's done enough academically based on his checkered past to warrant the NCAA doing anything but laughing at a graduate transfer or waiver on him?!  I would say it's pretty likely he's done nothing but blow off classes and done just enough to stay eligible.  

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but guys that get grad waivers and exceptions don't bring this kind of baggage, not that I've ever heard of anyway.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:22:03 AM by HutchwasClutch »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 11:21:40 AM »
To say the guy has a checkered past is a bit of an understatement.  I think Wojo isn't going to want to bring in a guy with that background onto a younger team...which would also then limit him to one new scholarship for next year.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 11:26:39 AM »
To say the guy has a checkered past is a bit of an understatement.  I think Wojo isn't going to want to bring in a guy with that background onto a younger team...which would also then limit him to one new scholarship for next year.

In the fighter pilot world a checkered past is an expectation

Death on call

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 11:29:35 AM »
A 6'9" kid who has played at this level eligible to compete this season.  Sounds great to me.

Admittedly not knowing a thing about his academic situation, do you really think there's a snowball's chance in hell he's done enough academically based on his checkered past to warrant the NCAA doing anything but laughing at a graduate transfer or waiver on him?!  I would say it's pretty likely he's done nothing but blow off classes and done just enough to stay eligible.  

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but guys that get grad waivers and exceptions don't bring this kind of baggage, not that I've ever heard of anyway.

I did a Google search and the first story I read is how LSU didn't admit him in 2012. This after not doing enough academically at HOWARD University to gain eligiblity, and getting kicked off Iowa State as a freshman prior to his failed attempt at Howard.

This is clearly not happening, and that's not even taking into account there's no way I'd see Wojo wanting him.  The notion of him being a grad eligible/ grad waiver at MU is laughable.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:31:39 AM by HutchwasClutch »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 11:31:20 AM »
Slight correction.  Not Howard University, the acclaimed HBCU in DC, but Howard College, the JUCO in Texas.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »
Slight correction.  Not Howard University, the acclaimed HBCU in DC, but Howard College, the JUCO in Texas.

Wow, it just keeps getting better on this kids chances with the NCAA.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:34:08 AM by HutchwasClutch »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 11:37:27 AM »
Yeah, Howard College - yuck. Don't need another Jae Crowder, that's for sure!

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 11:41:09 AM »
Yeah, Howard College - yuck. Don't need another Jae Crowder, that's for sure!

I realize how wonderful it would be to add a guy at this point who is a big, and can play next season, but there's no reality to thinking the NCAA would look at this for two seconds before saying no, or laughing no.  And just because they both happened to attend Howard juco once upon a time, doesn't make him remotely comparable to Crowder.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 12:05:11 PM »
It would be the rough equivalent of getting Clayton Heuer from UWSP.  Except Heuer would still be academically eligible in the 2nd semester.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »
I realize how wonderful it would be to add a guy at this point who is a big, and can play next season, but there's no reality to thinking the NCAA would look at this for two seconds before saying no, or laughing no.

I don't mean this in the wrong way, but what I gather from your commentary is that you're not very familiar with the details of the NCAA Bylaws.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 12:25:51 PM »
I don't mean this in the wrong way, but what I gather from your commentary is that you're not very familiar with the details of the NCAA Bylaws.

No, I don't know the details of the NCAA bylaws.  But a previous post you mentioned about him being brought into GRAD school and applying for a waiver.  This guy getting into MU grad school?  Please stop trying to rationalize this nonsense.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »
I would be surprised if MU takes him given the apparent directional change of the school. I do not know his past but if it is "checked", as some suggest, I would hold out little hope. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. It may be a very long season.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 02:11:50 PM »
No, I don't know the details of the NCAA bylaws.  But a previous post you mentioned about him being brought into GRAD school and applying for a waiver.  This guy getting into MU grad school?  Please stop trying to rationalize this nonsense.

According to jeff Goodman he is eligible this year and there are high majors involved.  I think it might be worth to bring him in for one year. We could use the inside help especially first semester while Luke is out.

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 02:13:40 PM »
Is Wojo even looking for a extra body now that Mayo is gone?

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »
I would be surprised if MU takes him given the apparent directional change of the school. I do not know his past but if it is "checked", as some suggest, I would hold out little hope. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. It may be a very long season.

I'd be very, very surprised if Marquette becomes involved and I say that without knowing anything.  I think Wojo is going to try to build the team differently and I don't see Godfrey fitting the rebuilding.  Of the players I've seen MU offering in 2015, every one sported a GPA over 3.0.

Without high expectations, I look forward to the year and think it will be fun seeing the evolution under the new coaching staff.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 02:26:39 PM »
Is Wojo even looking for a extra body now that Mayo is gone?

I'd hope he's "open to the idea of", but not "looking for"..

Quote from: TedBaxter
Of the players I've seen MU offering in 2015, every one sported a GPA over 3.0.

wat

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »

wat

?.  I don't understand what you are saying or asking?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 02:33:57 PM »
?.  I don't understand what you are saying or asking?

You have the grades of all the kids MU has offered? Or did you read what a couple of GPA's are said to be?

I'm saying the assertion that MU is interested only in offering kids with a GPA of 3.0 or better based on actual knowledge you have is wat-able. Also.. we are apparently talking about a college graduate here...

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »
Sorry.  Guess I'm not in your league. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »
Sorry.  Guess I'm not in your league. 

Doesn't have anything to do with me. Just asking for some context / basis for your suggestion that MU is only offering 3.0 GPA kids. "Of the players I've seen MU offering in 2015"... don't know what that means. Maybe it means Matt and one other player. Maybe it means 20+ kids.. don't know what you've seen or how you got their GPA.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »
Fair enough. 

Yes, the GPA's for Cheatham and about 4 of the guards I've seen them involved with have GPA's over 3.0.  Does that mean every recruit?  No.  Just the one's I've been able to find GPA's listed on the internet stories and could they be wrong?  Sure.

As I said before, I don't feel Godfrey is someone Wojo is going to go after and I'll admit I could be wrong.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 02:52:40 PM »
Doesn't have anything to do with me. Just asking for some context / basis for your suggestion that MU is only offering 3.0 GPA kids. "Of the players I've seen MU offering in 2015"... don't know what that means. Maybe it means Matt and one other player. Maybe it means 20+ kids.. don't know what you've seen or how you got their GPA.

I think you are wrong, BJ. I have it on good authority that the hiring of Wojo was orchestrated by a still very much involved Larry Williams as part of a plan to turn Marquette into Duke Light. Wojo is a Freemason and has links to the Trilateral Commission - as do Mike Brey, Coach K, and Kevin White. None of this is coincidence.

Death on call

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 02:55:49 PM »
Looks like Mr Calvin will be headed to Connecticut.  Yall sure we dont want him?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »
As I said before, I don't feel Godfrey is someone Wojo is going to go after and I'll admit I could be wrong.

On that we agree. That is, my feel is Wojo would pass. I'd just hope he'd consider for at least a minute or two. And I don't think he would pass because of an analysis of Godfrey's GPA (which may or may not be a cumulative 3.0).

Who knows.. it's only August 2... something else could happen in the next few weeks. If not, stay healthy Big Steve! Make your mark Young Juan!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »
Love the stat line, but am concerned about the red flags. Being associated with four different colleges up to this point is less than ideal.

As a fan, I hope Wojo will at least look at and talk to the kid. I would also hope that Wojo would pass if he didn't think this kid was right for our team.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:15:39 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »
Mark Miller is saying UCONN

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »
I already have in my mind that this season is really about preparing for next season. That is why it did not bother me that Mayo is not coming back. Now the time Mayo would of got most likely falls to Duane and JJJ. Getting another big would be nice, but I am happy were we are at right now and do not want any new problem players.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »

Well, if he signs with UCONN then we likely passed due to character issues

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 08:55:11 PM »

+1
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NYeagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2014, 08:56:59 PM »
Here's a question...

If Marquette has a rough beginning to the upcoming season, will it have an impact on the decision of Ellenson or Stone?

Calvin Godfrey would unquestionably provide desperately needed rebounding and toughness on a team that has some pretty talented guards and wings. And if he can keep us competitive before the conference games begin, it may help with those players looking to make a decision in November. 17 year olds do get affected if the team they were considering is doing badly.

Additionally, Godfrey, Fischer, Taylor, and Anderson would be a fine front court for the tough conference schedule.

Lastly, I have no problem helping a local kid return to his roots if he is trying to make a serious change in his life. If Wojo sees that, then it's worth a shot.
Passt auf! Die NYeagle fliegt.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »
The expectations for next year's team are low, outside some more optimistic MU fans.   As long as the team competes and progresses, it shouldn't hurt the recrutiment of Ellenson or stone.   If Wojo simply doesn't have it, it will negatively affect recruiting. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2014, 10:07:44 PM »
Here's a question...

If Marquette has a rough beginning to the upcoming season, will it have an impact on the decision of Ellenson or Stone?

The most likely answer is, "no, it will have zero impact on their decision."

The early signing period begins before the official start of the season. Stone may try to keep things quiet until the first day of that signing period; I think we'll hear from Henry much earlier. Regardless, I find it very likely they will have both signed an NLI with a school by the time the NCAA regular season begins on November 14.

(PS - my expectations aren't low!)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 11:34:38 PM »

SS Marquette

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2014, 02:19:45 AM »
I find it ironic that a large majority of posters said, in essence  , " good riddance" to todd mayo leaving yet a majority of posters then post that we could use this guy.  

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »
Given that UConn has made this discussion moot, I will say that if he were still available I'd want Wojo to at least give Godfrey serious, serious consideration.

Aren't there detractors out there about Carlino, too?

It would be a one-year thing, just as it will be for Godfrey. Worst-case scenario: It ended up being a bad fit and a season that probably wasn't going to be glorious anyway goes down the tubes. Best-case scenario: Godfrey's troubles were overstated, he brings exactly the toughness and rebounding MU lacks, and the team has a surprisingly good season.

I'd have rolled the dice - or at least looked into the possibility of rolling the dice.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2014, 11:02:13 AM »
I find it ironic that a large majority of posters said, in essence  , " good riddance" to todd mayo leaving yet a majority of posters then post that we could use this guy.  

Plenty to guards, 1 front line player to start the season. Team is better off without mayo, going to be a rough season regardless, why waste minutes.

That said, Wojo won't be taking any character issue guys with his first class. 

LA

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »
Being associated with four different colleges up to this point is less than ideal.

You mean like Carlino?

I'm not saying their circumstances aren't different, frankly none of us really know; but if that concerns you then take a look at our potential starting PG.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »
You mean like Carlino?

I'm not saying their circumstances aren't different, frankly none of us really know; but if that concerns you then take a look at our potential starting PG.

Carlino decommitted from one, and voluntarily transferred from two others. Making us his fourth. That is very different from being kicked off one, failing to qualify for another, having academic issues at a juco, and voluntarily transferring from the fourth.

But as I said in an earlier post, I would hope that Wojo would at least check the kid out and even talk to him. If the kid was geniunly looking for another shot, and Wojo believed him, I would be happy with the pickup.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2014, 11:53:25 PM »
I would be happy with the pickup.

They're all beautiful at bar time and my clock says it's 0155...

Death on call

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2014, 08:50:59 AM »
Carlino decommitted from one, and voluntarily transferred from two others. Making us his fourth. That is very different from being kicked off one, failing to qualify for another, having academic issues at a juco, and voluntarily transferring from the fourth.

But as I said in an earlier post, I would hope that Wojo would at least check the kid out and even talk to him. If the kid was geniunly looking for another shot, and Wojo believed him, I would be happy with the pickup.
Does anyone else find it ironic that people on this board see Carlino decommiting from playing for Tom Crean as a negative?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 03:07:53 PM »
Memphis it is, apparently

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2014, 07:12:49 PM »

He be wrong.