* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Elonsmusk
[Today at 08:19:42 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 19 years and counting...  (Read 19295 times)

humanlung

• Team Captain
Re: 19 years and counting...
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 12:26:30 PM »
After 19 years I still don't understand how the word "Warrior" can ONLY be associated with Native American imagery.  Can someone, anyone, explain this to me?

Then again (speaking of the admin and BOT), any group that can cough up the twin turds of "Gold" and "Golden Eagles" probably isn't capable of seeing outside that particular box anyway.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 12:31:15 PM »
Do a dare say this ....

Gold would have been a better nickname than Golden Eagles.

What schools have colors as their name?

Syracuse Orange
Stanford Cardinal (color, not bird)
Harvard Crimson
Cornell Big Red
Dartmouth Big Green

I would rather be associated with these schools than Tennessee Tech and South Mississippi (both are nicknamed Golden Eagles).

Does Crimson Tide count?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »
Amen, brother. Amen.

I also would gladly accept Hilltoppers and even "Gold" as mentioned above over our current nickname.

The Golden Eagles lacks originality, does a disservice to the uniqueness of such colorful characters as Al McGuire, and overall just blows.

I would rather be any of the following names:

Marquette Hilltoppers
Marquette Avalanche
Marquette Jumpin Jesuits
Marquette Gold
Marquette Bricks
Marquette Bizarros
Marquette Marquetters
Marquette Farquettes

and the list goes on and on.

Golden Eagles is awful, embarrasing and a complete travesty and joke. It made a terrible decision beyond repairable.

I wish we would have stuck with Gold when we tried the name change a few years back; anything would beat our current moniker.

EDIT: PS. Seriously, I have no idea what a Farquette is, but it is growing on me.

I'd favor the Marquette Dukiets.  The mascot could be a piano player shaking a fist.  Duke it out with the Dukiets!!!!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
Does Crimson Tide count?

Not really. The color is a modifer there, just as it is in Golden Eagles, Red Raiders, Green Wave, Red Storm, etc.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 12:49:41 PM »
After 19 years I still don't understand how the word "Warrior" can ONLY be associated with Native American imagery.  Can someone, anyone, explain this to me?

Then again (speaking of the admin and BOT), any group that can cough up the twin turds of "Gold" and "Golden Eagles" probably isn't capable of seeing outside that particular box anyway.

I agree, a Warrior can be associated with ANY nationality, race, etc, just change the mascot.  Hell, we could have changed it to a Roman, Greek, or Irish warrior. Still in disbelief bout the whole thing. But i guess that would have ticked off those nationalities, etc. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 01:00:13 PM »
I say just drop the mascot. Everyone just calls us "Marquette" anyway, why not just be Marquette? Everything we do now, Ring Out Ahoya, Hail Alma Mater, We Are Marquette...it all works no matter the mascot name, so just drop the mascot name.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »

Syracuse Orange
Harvard Crimson
Cornell Big Red
Dartmouth Big Green

John Carroll Blue Streaks (I guess "blue" could be considered a modifier, but only if you consider a "streak" something that stands alone).

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »
Dare I say it?

You fellas know I am all about The Warriors.  Hell, look at my screen name.  But last summer, I purchased what is considered to be the definitive biography of Father Marquette: Jacques Marquette, S.J. 1637-1675 by Joseph P. Donnelly S.J.  (not the Father Donnelly that taught at Marquette, by the way; but quite a coincidence). After reading this scholarly 400-page book cover-to-cover (including the copious footnotes), I reached the obvious conclusion:

Father Marquette would have never wanted our team to be called The Warriors, at least not in reference to the indigenous people of  New France.

Jacques Marquette was given the mission of converting the "savages" to Christianity, an assignment he had dreamed of since his early seminary days in France.  One of the ways he went about this was by acting as a protector of peace-loving people.  He tried to negotiate with the leaders of agressive bands of Native Americans, and when that didn't work, he helped relocate his followers to areas where they would be safe.  There is no doubt that Pere Marquette would find it tremendously ironic that his enemy would end up as the mascot for a school named in his honor.

That being said, I am sure that the extremely scholarly Father Marquette would have no issue of us being named for any warriors that, in a historical or mythical context, fought for their own rights and freedoms.
Have some patience, FFS.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 02:04:03 PM »
Dare I say it?

You fellas know I am all about The Warriors.  Hell, look at my screen name.  But last summer, I purchased what is considered to be the definitive biography of Father Marquette: Jacques Marquette, S.J. 1637-1675 by Joseph P. Donnelly S.J.  (not the Father Donnelly that taught at Marquette, by the way; but quite a coincidence). After reading this scholarly 400-page book cover-to-cover (including the copious footnotes), I reached the obvious conclusion:

Father Marquette would have never wanted our team to be called The Warriors, at least not in reference to the indigenous people of  New France.

Jacques Marquette was given the mission of converting the "savages" to Christianity, an assignment he had dreamed of since his early seminary days in France.  One of the ways he went about this was by acting as a protector of peace-loving people.  He tried to negotiate with the leaders of agressive bands of Native Americans, and when that didn't work, he helped relocate his followers to areas where they would be safe.  There is no doubt that Pere Marquette would find it tremendously ironic that his enemy would end up as the mascot for a school named in his honor.

That being said, I am sure that the extremely scholarly Father Marquette would have no issue of us being named for any warriors that, in a historical or mythical context, fought for their own rights and freedoms.

I think the point is that going back to the name will only conjure up images of the offensive rhetoric that once was.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 02:29:54 PM »
I was a Warrior at heart as well. I know deep down Warriorchick is right -- he was a peace loving dude otherwise he would have come as Cortez and Pizzaro did, with a big legion of soldiers and wasted the natives. But we WERE Warriors, especially when Al was head coach!!!

That said, I'm still waiting for a response to my recommended changes:

1) The Marquette Inquisition -- For that wonderful time in European history brought to us by the Jesuits and the Vatican (any thoughts as to what we could do at halftime with this one???)

2) The Marquette Flames -- After Joan of Arc Chapel. I think this one is self-explanatory.

Well, Father DiUllio, why not????

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »
I was a Warrior at heart as well. I know deep down Warriorchick is right -- he was a peace loving dude otherwise he would have come as Cortez and Pizzaro did, with a big legion of soldiers and wasted the natives. But we WERE Warriors, especially when Al was head coach!!!

That said, I'm still waiting for a response to my recommended changes:

1) The Marquette Inquisition -- For that wonderful time in European history brought to us by the Jesuits and the Vatican (any thoughts as to what we could do at halftime with this one???)

2) The Marquette Flames -- After Joan of Arc Chapel. I think this one is self-explanatory.

Well, Father DiUllio, why not????

If we are the Inquisition, we'll need to add Yeshiva to our non-conference schedule....

As for the halftime show, that's a no-brainer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9DbK7IIjFQ
Have some patience, FFS.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »
Still voting for Jumpin' Jesuits.

Would have been happy with Hill toppers or Jumping Jesuits.

But gee, going with JJs would have made for SUCH a kick-a$$ mascot!   ;D
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 06:43:14 PM »
Dare I say it?

Why didn't ya just buy the Cliff Notes?

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

j_mauck3

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 05:13:11 AM »
If we had to change, I always like the idea of going with the Marquette Explorers...

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
Perhaps a JJ logo like this (the Padre Serra tournament logo...):

http://www.thepadreserra.org/

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »
Watch the planet earth series that aired on discovery channel back in 2006 and tell me you don' garner a little respect for the golden eagle - not to mention surviving just about everywhere, they hunt almost anything and even fly over mount everest. 

I did like the hilltopper name with the ram logo from what I've seen though

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 05:16:24 PM »
Whaat's wrong with  Banana Slugs?

They're cool looking and unique

boyonthedock

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 02:20:59 AM »
Banana slugs is wpnderful, because the other guy isn't called that. going by this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potawatomi#Clans that was linked earlier I would be fine with: crows, loons, frogs, turkeys, elk, turtle, sturgeon, crab, rabbit, and fox.  I would have preferred elk, but fox is a nice second. Seriously, just literally anything that another school isn't already named.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2012, 07:31:47 AM »
What has it been? Chicos dropped from Scoop, 2 years and counting.

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »
"The Potawatomi doodems (clans) being:  Bené (Turkey), Gagagshi (Crow), Gnew (Golden Eagle), Jejakwé (Thunderer, i.e. Crane), Mag (Loon), Mekchi (Frog), Mek (Beaver), Mewi'a (Wolf), Mgezewa (Bald Eagle), Mkedésh-gékékwa (Black Hawk), Mko (Bear), Mshéwé (Elk), Mshike (Turtle), Nmé (Sturgeon), Nmébena (Carp), Shagéshi (Crab), Wabozo (Rabbit), Wakeshi (Fox)." 

So you're telling me that technically we're the Marquette Gnews? I could have actually lived with that name. Just think of the t-shirt possibilities:

"MU: Have you seen the Gnews?"
"Out with the old, in with the Gnews"
"Fast-breaking Gnews"
"Who Gnews?"
"Worldwide Gnews"

Although it would have been awesome to be the Marquette Runnin' Wabozos too...I'd have voted for that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »
"I read the Gnews today, oh boy."

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »
Do a dare say this ....

Gold would have been a better nickname than Golden Eagles.

Tree not the color.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »
Tree not the color.

Mascot = tree. Nickname = Cardinal, copying Harvard (Crimson). Both exceedingly lame.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 11:55:49 AM »
Mascot = tree. Nickname = Cardinal, copying Harvard (Crimson). Both exceedingly lame.

Thanks.   Didn't know that. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

feedback