* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 19 years and counting...  (Read 19296 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

GGGG

• All American
Re: 19 years and counting...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 08:30:53 AM »
Whenever someone brings up that article, I always get mad...but then the warm smile of Royce Dam comforts me.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 08:31:36 AM »
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=P51QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AxMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5023%2C2849265

That is all.

Do you think Royce Dam is still tying a fly everyday?

Do you think he cleaned off his cluttered basement work table?

So many unanswered questions.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 08:32:29 AM »
A day that will live in infamy.  Sigh...
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 08:34:45 AM »
Do you think Royce Dam is still tying a fly everyday?

Do you think he cleaned off his cluttered basement work table?

So many unanswered questions.

Ask him yourself.

http://www.roycedam.com/

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 08:41:59 AM »
Another few years and there will be more living alumni that experienced MU as a Golden Eagle rather than as a Warrior.  While I would not have made the change, at some point a court ruling becomes 'established law'.  I for one have long since moved on.

Our modern day brothers and sisters (or our kids) are just as passionate about MU athletics as we were.  Let's get fired up as one family for tonight and our beatdown of tOSU and the rest in just a few short weeks.  We Are Marquette.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=P51QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AxMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5023%2C2849265

That is all.
Thanks for enraging me.

The whole thing would have generated a fraction of the controversy is they did something that made even a little sense...Hilltoppers...instead of going with the absolutely HORRENDOUS name we have now. It continues to baffle the mind. Seriously. Golden Eagles? What?

It's like the longest running and most embarrassing joke ever.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 08:47:59 AM »
Another few years and there will be more living alumni that experienced MU as a Golden Eagle rather than as a Warrior.  While I would not have made the change, at some point a court ruling becomes 'established law'.  I for one have long since moved on.

Our modern day brothers and sisters (or our kids) are just as passionate about MU athletics as we were.  Let's get fired up as one family for tonight and our beatdown of tOSU and the rest in just a few short weeks.  We Are Marquette.

But when Mike Hunt reports from the Ponderosa that it is the "Warriors" then the legal precedent will be reestablished.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 08:52:44 AM »
But when Mike Hunt reports from the Ponderosa that it is the "Warriors" then the legal precedent will be reestablished.

Excellent point.  Expect that error in his next story.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »
Do a dare say this ....

Gold would have been a better nickname than Golden Eagles.

What schools have colors as their name?

Syracuse Orange
Stanford Cardinal (color, not bird)
Harvard Crimson
Cornell Big Red
Dartmouth Big Green

I would rather be associated with these schools than Tennessee Tech and South Mississippi (both are nicknamed Golden Eagles).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 09:00:09 AM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 09:10:15 AM »
As National Nightmares go .. hell .. even Watergate had wrapped up in 2 years.

19 years and counting.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 09:12:04 AM »

It's not that it (the nickname change) went down, it's not how it went down, it's why it went down.  Yes, change is inevitable, but it's a lot easier to get stakeholders to eventually agree upon something - in retrospect, if need be - when there's an honest and clear explanation as to why the change was necessary, not the boilerplate "we're doing this proactively so people don't get offended" excuse that MU gave.  Please.... my 3 year old can BS better than that.  If the school would have just been honest by coming out in the beginning and said, "hey, we're doing it for the money," this issue would have died long ago.

If I told my parents that I was changing my last name because someone was paying me $10 million, they would probably be insulted at first, but they would soon get over it once they saw that I had used the money to improve my family member's lives.  But if I wanted to soften the blow and made something up like I was doing it because people couldn't pronounce it correctly, they wouldn't be insulted; however, the disappointment of a watered-down excuse is something they would carry to their grave.

Moral of the story: the sour taste of a lie lingers long after its candy-coating excuse has melted away.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 09:16:49 AM »
The whole thing would have generated a fraction of the controversy is they did something that made even a little sense...Hilltoppers...

YES!!!

I'm still confused on that one.

Once they decided to make a change, didn't ANYBODY with marketing or brand experience say:

"Let's tell everybody we are going back to our original nickname, and we can launch a new logo. Done." (1994 was pre-retro, so nobody would have said let's reintroduce the old logo).

Seems shockingly simple.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:24:06 AM by Guns n Ammo »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 10:17:22 AM »

"Another few years" might be pushing it a little much... still awhile to go. I have not moved on and I will not. I've gotten more understanding of young kids that just weren't around then and have only known the geagles, but I'll be damned if I am referring to them as the bird or buying merch with the chicken or the name on it.  (Have a couple things received as gifts though. I said, "thanks, but I'm disappointed you got me this".)

I forget this every year... probably because I was too busy puking at Pizza Joe's, runnin the floor at the Rec Plex, and throwing back 40s from Avenue Liquors, but... I remember voting for Hilltoppers.  I think it was an early ballot thing.  Because the final 'real' decision we had to make was between the geagles or the .. lightning was it?  I don't remember how lightning made it... over Hilltoppers.  Was that by vote?!?! Or The Man picked it? 

At least the final season of the Warriors ended well.  The run/jog from 16th to the lake was the most enjoyable workout of my life.  (tied w/one I had with your mom.)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »
Still voting for Jumpin' Jesuits.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 10:37:18 AM »
"Another few years" might be pushing it a little much... still awhile to go. I have not moved on and I will not. I've gotten more understanding of young kids that just weren't around then and have only known the geagles, but I'll be damned if I am referring to them as the bird or buying merch with the chicken or the name on it.  (Have a couple things received as gifts though. I said, "thanks, but I'm disappointed you got me this".)

I forget this every year... probably because I was too busy puking at Pizza Joe's, runnin the floor at the Rec Plex, and throwing back 40s from Avenue Liquors, but... I remember voting for Hilltoppers.  I think it was an early ballot thing.  Because the final 'real' decision we had to make was between the geagles or the .. lightning was it?  I don't remember how lightning made it... over Hilltoppers.  Was that by vote?!?! Or The Man picked it? 

At least the final season of the Warriors ended well.  The run/jog from 16th to the lake was the most enjoyable workout of my life.  (tied w/one I had with your mom.)

Agreed, and remember that only 4 or 5 years ago they ripped the scab off with the whole gold debacle and the sham vote afterwards.  So it's really only the last 2 or 3 classes that haven't been pissed off at MU for the nickname issue for one reason or another.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »
Agreed, and remember that only 4 or 5 years ago they ripped the scab off with the whole gold debacle and the sham vote afterwards.  So it's really only the last 2 or 3 classes that haven't been pissed off at MU for the nickname issue for one reason or another.

Marquette Gold was definitely in 2005.  The current graduating class probably wasn't even thinking about coming to MU then.

Balrogs

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 10:55:31 AM »
As a guy that's always been a Golden Eagle but Warrior at heart, and grew up in a household that never subscribed to a newspaper,
three things struck me:

1) The give-a-away in the article that this was going to be ham-handed was "the decision - which Cords attributed to unspecified university officials".  No ownership is a dead give-away of a decision that has no support.

2)  I don't think I've seen a newspaper with that much actual, substantive content.

3)  Craigslist really destroyed the classified section.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »

Or as Hunt calls them, the Dumpin' Jesuits

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »
Marquette Gold was definitely in 2005.  The current graduating class probably wasn't even thinking about coming to MU then.

Yeah but it's not like MU graduates 12,000 students a year.  Just by shear math assuming an average graduating class pre-2009(last year a student wasn't at MU for the gold) of 2,000 students from 1974-2009 would be 70,000 alumni.  Lets say 2500 average students since would be 7500.  That means assuming MU doesn't screw this up again it will be 20 years or so before more alumni are pro-GE than anti-GE.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »

Amen, brother. Amen.

I also would gladly accept Hilltoppers and even "Gold" as mentioned above over our current nickname.

The Golden Eagles lacks originality, does a disservice to the uniqueness of such colorful characters as Al McGuire, and overall just blows.

I would rather be any of the following names:

Marquette Hilltoppers
Marquette Avalanche
Marquette Jumpin Jesuits
Marquette Gold
Marquette Bricks
Marquette Bizarros
Marquette Marquetters
Marquette Farquettes

and the list goes on and on.

Golden Eagles is awful, embarrasing and a complete travesty and joke. It made a terrible decision beyond repairable.

I wish we would have stuck with Gold when we tried the name change a few years back; anything would beat our current moniker.

EDIT: PS. Seriously, I have no idea what a Farquette is, but it is growing on me.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:17:17 AM by MUCam »

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
Amen, brother. Amen.

I also would gladly accept Hilltoppers and even "Gold" as mentioned above over our current nickname.

The Golden Eagles lacks originality, does a disservice to the uniqueness of such colorful characters as Al McGuire, and overall just blows.

Marquette Hilltoppers
Marquette Avalanche
Marquette Jumpin Jesuits
Marquette Gold
Marquette Bricks
Marquette Bizarros
Marquette Marquetters
Marquette Farquettes

Golden Eagles is awful, embarrasing and a complete travesty and joke. It made a terrible decision beyond repairable.

I wish we would have stuck with Gold when we tried the name change a few years back; anything would beat our current moniker.

EDIT: PS. Seriously, I have no idea what a Farquette is, but it is growing on me.

Marquette Bleuteaux's?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »
I prefer Golden Eagles over just Gold but MU will always be the Warriors to me

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 12:25:21 PM »

Would it make any sense if I said that I believe the decision was made to change the nickname to Golden Eagles before the decision was made to abandon Warriors?  In other words, every "vote," discussion, debate, conversation, etc. on potential nicknames is, was and forever will be a complete farce... there were limited options for the new nickname, but amongst these, only the Golden Eagle made it onto the ballot; all other options served no purpose other than to create an illusion of choice.

The complete list of acceptable nicknames for MU can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potawatomi#Clans

However, having seen what happens when you leave it to the students to choose a nickname (UC-Santa Cruz), it's probably better that we weren't given the choice of the Marquette Crabs.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 12:26:30 PM »
After 19 years I still don't understand how the word "Warrior" can ONLY be associated with Native American imagery.  Can someone, anyone, explain this to me?

Then again (speaking of the admin and BOT), any group that can cough up the twin turds of "Gold" and "Golden Eagles" probably isn't capable of seeing outside that particular box anyway.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 12:31:15 PM »
Do a dare say this ....

Syracuse Orange
Harvard Crimson
Cornell Big Red
Dartmouth Big Green

I would rather be associated with these schools than Tennessee Tech and South Mississippi (both are nicknamed Golden Eagles).

Does Crimson Tide count?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »
Amen, brother. Amen.

Marquette Hilltoppers
Marquette Avalanche
Marquette Jumpin Jesuits
Marquette Gold
Marquette Bricks
Marquette Bizarros
Marquette Marquetters
Marquette Farquettes

I'd favor the Marquette Dukiets.  The mascot could be a piano player shaking a fist.  Duke it out with the Dukiets!!!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
Does Crimson Tide count?

Not really. The color is a modifer there, just as it is in Golden Eagles, Red Raiders, Green Wave, Red Storm, etc.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 12:49:41 PM »
After 19 years I still don't understand how the word "Warrior" can ONLY be associated with Native American imagery.  Can someone, anyone, explain this to me?

Then again (speaking of the admin and BOT), any group that can cough up the twin turds of "Gold" and "Golden Eagles" probably isn't capable of seeing outside that particular box anyway.

I agree, a Warrior can be associated with ANY nationality, race, etc, just change the mascot.  Hell, we could have changed it to a Roman, Greek, or Irish warrior. Still in disbelief bout the whole thing. But i guess that would have ticked off those nationalities, etc. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 01:00:13 PM »
I say just drop the mascot. Everyone just calls us "Marquette" anyway, why not just be Marquette? Everything we do now, Ring Out Ahoya, Hail Alma Mater, We Are Marquette...it all works no matter the mascot name, so just drop the mascot name.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »

Syracuse Orange
Harvard Crimson
Cornell Big Red
Dartmouth Big Green

John Carroll Blue Streaks (I guess "blue" could be considered a modifier, but only if you consider a "streak" something that stands alone).

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »
Dare I say it?

You fellas know I am all about The Warriors.  Hell, look at my screen name.  But last summer, I purchased what is considered to be the definitive biography of Father Marquette: Jacques Marquette, S.J. 1637-1675 by Joseph P. Donnelly S.J.  (not the Father Donnelly that taught at Marquette, by the way; but quite a coincidence). After reading this scholarly 400-page book cover-to-cover (including the copious footnotes), I reached the obvious conclusion:

Father Marquette would have never wanted our team to be called The Warriors, at least not in reference to the indigenous people of  New France.

Jacques Marquette was given the mission of converting the "savages" to Christianity, an assignment he had dreamed of since his early seminary days in France.  One of the ways he went about this was by acting as a protector of peace-loving people.  He tried to negotiate with the leaders of agressive bands of Native Americans, and when that didn't work, he helped relocate his followers to areas where they would be safe.  There is no doubt that Pere Marquette would find it tremendously ironic that his enemy would end up as the mascot for a school named in his honor.

That being said, I am sure that the extremely scholarly Father Marquette would have no issue of us being named for any warriors that, in a historical or mythical context, fought for their own rights and freedoms.
Have some patience, FFS.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 02:04:03 PM »
Dare I say it?

You fellas know I am all about The Warriors.  Hell, look at my screen name.  But last summer, I purchased what is considered to be the definitive biography of Father Marquette: Jacques Marquette, S.J. 1637-1675 by Joseph P. Donnelly S.J.  (not the Father Donnelly that taught at Marquette, by the way; but quite a coincidence). After reading this scholarly 400-page book cover-to-cover (including the copious footnotes), I reached the obvious conclusion:

Father Marquette would have never wanted our team to be called The Warriors, at least not in reference to the indigenous people of  New France.

Jacques Marquette was given the mission of converting the "savages" to Christianity, an assignment he had dreamed of since his early seminary days in France.  One of the ways he went about this was by acting as a protector of peace-loving people.  He tried to negotiate with the leaders of agressive bands of Native Americans, and when that didn't work, he helped relocate his followers to areas where they would be safe.  There is no doubt that Pere Marquette would find it tremendously ironic that his enemy would end up as the mascot for a school named in his honor.

That being said, I am sure that the extremely scholarly Father Marquette would have no issue of us being named for any warriors that, in a historical or mythical context, fought for their own rights and freedoms.

I think the point is that going back to the name will only conjure up images of the offensive rhetoric that once was.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 02:29:54 PM »
I was a Warrior at heart as well. I know deep down Warriorchick is right -- he was a peace loving dude otherwise he would have come as Cortez and Pizzaro did, with a big legion of soldiers and wasted the natives. But we WERE Warriors, especially when Al was head coach!!!

That said, I'm still waiting for a response to my recommended changes:

1) The Marquette Inquisition -- For that wonderful time in European history brought to us by the Jesuits and the Vatican (any thoughts as to what we could do at halftime with this one???)

2) The Marquette Flames -- After Joan of Arc Chapel. I think this one is self-explanatory.

Well, Father DiUllio, why not????

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »
I was a Warrior at heart as well. I know deep down Warriorchick is right -- he was a peace loving dude otherwise he would have come as Cortez and Pizzaro did, with a big legion of soldiers and wasted the natives. But we WERE Warriors, especially when Al was head coach!!!

That said, I'm still waiting for a response to my recommended changes:

1) The Marquette Inquisition -- For that wonderful time in European history brought to us by the Jesuits and the Vatican (any thoughts as to what we could do at halftime with this one???)

2) The Marquette Flames -- After Joan of Arc Chapel. I think this one is self-explanatory.

Well, Father DiUllio, why not????

If we are the Inquisition, we'll need to add Yeshiva to our non-conference schedule....

As for the halftime show, that's a no-brainer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9DbK7IIjFQ
Have some patience, FFS.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »

Would have been happy with Hill toppers or Jumping Jesuits.

But gee, going with JJs would have made for SUCH a kick-a$$ mascot!   ;D
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 06:43:14 PM »
Dare I say it?

Why didn't ya just buy the Cliff Notes?

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

j_mauck3

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 05:13:11 AM »
If we had to change, I always like the idea of going with the Marquette Explorers...

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
Perhaps a JJ logo like this (the Padre Serra tournament logo...):

http://www.thepadreserra.org/

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »
Watch the planet earth series that aired on discovery channel back in 2006 and tell me you don' garner a little respect for the golden eagle - not to mention surviving just about everywhere, they hunt almost anything and even fly over mount everest. 

I did like the hilltopper name with the ram logo from what I've seen though

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 05:16:24 PM »
Whaat's wrong with  Banana Slugs?

They're cool looking and unique

boyonthedock

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 02:20:59 AM »
Banana slugs is wpnderful, because the other guy isn't called that. going by this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potawatomi#Clans that was linked earlier I would be fine with: crows, loons, frogs, turkeys, elk, turtle, sturgeon, crab, rabbit, and fox.  I would have preferred elk, but fox is a nice second. Seriously, just literally anything that another school isn't already named.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2012, 07:31:47 AM »
What has it been? Chicos dropped from Scoop, 2 years and counting.

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »
"The Potawatomi doodems (clans) being:  Bené (Turkey), Gagagshi (Crow), Gnew (Golden Eagle), Jejakwé (Thunderer, i.e. Crane), Mag (Loon), Mekchi (Frog), Mek (Beaver), Mewi'a (Wolf), Mgezewa (Bald Eagle), Mkedésh-gékékwa (Black Hawk), Mko (Bear), Mshéwé (Elk), Mshike (Turtle), Nmé (Sturgeon), Nmébena (Carp), Shagéshi (Crab), Wabozo (Rabbit), Wakeshi (Fox)." 

So you're telling me that technically we're the Marquette Gnews? I could have actually lived with that name. Just think of the t-shirt possibilities:

"MU: Have you seen the Gnews?"
"Out with the old, in with the Gnews"
"Fast-breaking Gnews"
"Who Gnews?"
"Worldwide Gnews"

Although it would have been awesome to be the Marquette Runnin' Wabozos too...I'd have voted for that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »
"I read the Gnews today, oh boy."

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »
Do a dare say this ....

Tree not the color.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »
Tree not the color.

Mascot = tree. Nickname = Cardinal, copying Harvard (Crimson). Both exceedingly lame.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 11:55:49 AM »
Mascot = tree. Nickname = Cardinal, copying Harvard (Crimson). Both exceedingly lame.

Thanks.   Didn't know that. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2012, 02:11:49 PM »
This conversation reminds me of my all-time favorite sports trivia question.

No fair Googling - that would be cheating.

Name all the nicknames of D1-A football programs that don't have any of the following attributes:

Has a color in the name
Has an animal in the name
Ends with an "s"

Note, for example, "Golden Eagles" has all three of these attributes.  Who has none?

There are at least five.  The first two should be easy for anyone on this board.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:38:20 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2012, 02:16:37 PM »
Fight Irish comes to mind.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »
And Fighting Illini

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »
And N.D. Fighting Sioux for that matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2012, 02:37:03 PM »
And N.D. Fighting Sioux for that matter

I am not accepting that answer - they are 1-AA.  I will make the original post more specific.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:42:20 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2012, 02:42:34 PM »
The Rambling Wreck of Georgia Tech?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »
Thundering Herd (Marshall) and Midshipmen (Navy) come to mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2012, 02:57:23 PM »
The Rambling Wreck of Georgia Tech?

Good try, but their official nickname is the Yellowjackets.
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2012, 03:29:19 PM »
I am not accepting that answer - they are 1-AA.  I will make the original post more specific.
It's bad enough that my own Warriorchick does not accept my answers..,

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »
It's bad enough that my own Warriorchick does not accept my answers..,

Sounds to me that you just don't want to accept Mrs. Legs's answer......
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2012, 03:46:56 PM »
Too true!

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2012, 03:53:12 PM »
UMass Minutemen

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »
Yep, I think that's all of them.
Have some patience, FFS.

JerryWizig

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2012, 03:41:36 AM »
I grew up cheering for the Warriors and graduated with Golden Eagles. Frankly, I'm sick of the nickname crap. Like the title of this thread says, it's been 19 years. It's never coming back. And while a big part of the school's basketball tradition was established as the Warriors, let's not forget that the reason Marquette called itself the Warriors in the first place was to capitalize off the popularity of the Milwaukee Braves, who probably had one of the more offensive of the Indian logos.

Anyways, I remember the debate the first time around and was really pushing for Gold. I think I was the only one happy when they decided to change to the Gold in 2005. The Golden Eagles is ho-hum, but anyone who thinks it's still a joke needs to get better perspective. The only people who think its a joke are already Marquette fans. There are so many schools who went through what Marquette went through that I don't think anyone is laughing at MU.

I can't remember if it made the cut for voting after the Gold debacle, but I was in love with the Black Robes, which is what Canadian Indians called the Jesuit missionaries. How fitting would that be? It was unique, had historical relevance with the school and could make for some pretty sweet merchandise.

Golden Eagles, Gold, Hilltoppers, Black Robes, Gold Robes, Furry Robes, whatever. It's still Marquette, it's still my team and my school and I will always be proud of what it stands for.

Bocephys

• All American