* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:12:15 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: new recruit?  (Read 19282 times)

kmwtrucks

• All American
Re: new recruit?
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »
I don't think you would ever want to bank 2, and that is how many extra we have.  If he has grown 2 inch's in the last year maybe he has got a little more left?  Even 6-8 would make him probably the 2nd tallest player on the team.  I also like player's that are left handed?  They seem a little harder to defend.
Also having a 6-7 player that is a good 3 point shooter is a plus, It spreads the floor.  

I don't think rankings are meaningless, some people can be slightly overranked or underranked but in general they are a very good gauge.  This is a gamble, if it was not, why doesnt he have lots of HM interest?  MU has the only good staff in the country looking for talent?  Roseboro was not highly rated? how did that turn out?

That is assuming he ends up at MU.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:20:15 AM by kmwtrucks »

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2011, 11:20:27 AM »
This is the *exact* type of recruit you want with your last scholarship.  He sounds like a late boomer and a late grower.  I mean a 6'7" shooting guard??? 
There is also an interview with him from December that had him listed at 200 lbs.  6'7" and 200 some lbs is a lot different than the espn evaluation of 6'5" and 180.  It has also been noted that he is young for his class.  With Jimmy fresh on Buzz's mind,  he may be thinking of  some late bloomer opportunity...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2011, 11:25:03 AM »
Ratings aren't meaningless...but they are a series of snapshots...they don't really project a prospect's potential all that well.  Compare and contrast JFB to EWill to show what the problems with rankings might be.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2011, 11:27:21 AM »
i figured there'd be way more outcry over this. this seems to me to be a waste of a scholarship.

Perhaps because it's hard to generate any real outrage over an unconfirmed report of a signing by a kid I would guess few or none of us ever heard of before yesterday, much less know enough to form an informed opinion. Declaring a signing a "waste of a scholarship" having never seen or even heard of a kid seems silly.

Also because Buzz has shown an ability to get quality players whom previously were unheard of around here (i.e. DJO) or vastly underrated (i.e. Jimmy Butler).

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2011, 11:29:09 AM »
Ratings aren't meaningless...but they are a series of snapshots...they don't really project a prospect's potential all that well.  Compare and contrast JFB to EWill to show what the problems with rankings might be.
Maybe I should have been more specific.  For kids that are not in the upper echelon of recruits for a given year and are rarely seen and/or evaluated by the various services, they are pretty close to meaningless.  Kids at that age can change a lot in a very brief period of time.  

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2011, 11:48:48 AM »
I will say that kids that stop growing early a more likely to be overrated and kids that grow well into college tend to be underrated, for a few reasons. 1)more height is almost always better in basketball. 2)Until you stop growing its much harder for your body to fill out and gain weight. 3)It seems like its easier to improve your skills when you are not growing 2-3 inch's per year.  You tend to be a little clumsy during those periods. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2011, 11:54:54 AM »
i figured there'd be way more outcry over this. this seems to me to be a waste of a scholarship.

I figure Buzz knows more about this stuff than I do.  So while I will question why he is doing something, I would never outcry over it.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »
Untill Todd Rosiak or MU puts it out, I'll take it with a grain of salt.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2011, 02:46:25 PM »
Is  Lindsay the best we can do? Then we are sure slipping in recruiting. We must get a player we can count on. Bank the other schollie if we have two schollies.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2011, 03:03:15 PM »
Is  Lindsay the best we can do? Then we are sure slipping in recruiting. We must get a player we can count on. Bank the other schollie if we have two schollies.

Banking a schollie won't help the team this year.  There's no reason not to give a young man with a high ceiling a chance.  I mean, BCG was on the guy and now Buzz supposedly is?  He can't be all bad.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2011, 03:06:22 PM »

Oh you must have seen him play.  What are YOUR thoughts?  Is this a second screen name for Willie???

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2011, 03:16:19 PM »
Banking a schollie won't help the team this year.  There's no reason not to give a young man with a high ceiling a chance.  I mean, BCG was on the guy and now Buzz supposedly is?  He can't be all bad.

Agree completely.  Buzz's job is always to win this year, not keep talking about our next year's recruiting class.  How does banking a scholarship help us win this year?  This kid has clearly shown something excellent to have legitimate schools offering him.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »
For a guy who doesn't pay a ton of attention to recruiting, just read a little bit about Mitch McGarry. MU any shot yet on him, or has he gotten too big?
GO WARRIORS!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »
For a guy who doesn't pay a ton of attention to recruiting, just read a little bit about Mitch McGarry. MU any shot yet on him, or has he gotten too big?

Probably the latter, but MU was one of the first in the picture. That should keep them in it for awhile, I would think.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2011, 04:43:31 PM »
Lindsay is decent 2 year project, he is not that good, but would rather go after Bryant because of the upside since Faust went back to Maryland. WENT NEED A POWER FORWARD.
6-8 225. Think we are out of luck

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2011, 05:12:46 PM »
Agree completely.  Buzz's job is always to win this year, not keep talking about our next year's recruiting class. 

The only place on college basketball landscape where talking about next year's recruiting class trumps winning this year? Bloomington, and it's been that way for three years now.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
The only place on college basketball landscape where talking about next year's recruiting class trumps winning this year? Bloomington, and it's been that way for three years now.

Can we ever move on from this obsession?  God, it is old and tired.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »

I know someone who has spoken with McGary - she said that his three favorites are Texas, Duke, and UNC. Texas is his dream school, but if any of those three offer to him they will likely have a big advantage (not that that's all that different from most recruits).

As of right now, none of those schools have offered, although they have seen him play.

Marquette was also one of the first schools that he visited and he seemed to like it.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2011, 09:42:32 PM »
Thanks gentlemen.
GO WARRIORS!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2011, 10:27:09 PM »
One of those schools is sure to offer now that he has blown up to 5 star status.

MUcookie30

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 11:03:03 PM »
Anyone have any updates on the merv situation?

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2011, 12:18:48 AM »
Anyone have any updates on the merv situation?

This was posted recently:
http://lubbockonline.com/interact/blog-post/courtney-linehan/2011-05-18/lindsay-not-committed-texas-tech

Doesn't mention MU, but it seems more and more likely that he won't be playing for Texas Tech...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2011, 12:22:45 AM »

I think you meant <insert 3 point shooter here>--- he had his career night against MU i

Fixed it   ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2011, 12:23:54 AM »
Can we ever move on from this obsession?  God, it is old and tired.
No, he cannot.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »