* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Elonsmusk
[Today at 08:19:42 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Just put in erik williams  (Read 19269 times)

KipsBayEagle

Just put in erik williams
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:23:04 AM »
We have a 7 man rotation, we continually get into foul trouble, our players are tired at the end of the game, fulce hasn't done anything yet, erik williams has looked good when he has been in.  Just put him in the game!  Seriously, how bad does Buzz think this kid is?  He really can't play 1 minute?  Just to give our other players a rest?  If he can't play 1 minute, then either he is the biggest bust in college basketball or Buzz has some type of grudge against him.  I'm sorry, but people have defended this for way, saying he is a defensive liability.  Nothing from when he has played (granted it is a small time to look at) has lead me to believe such is true.  In fact, when he has been in the game, he has looked aggressive and confident.  I would be extremely pissed off if I was him, and would consider transferring if things don't pick up for him.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
Re: Just put in erik williams
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:38:20 AM »
The two positions in sports that receive unyielding support and unending optimism.

1. Backup NFL QB
2. High Profile Recruit in College Hoops

The grass is always greener with these folks.  Maybe, just maybe, the coaches who see and judge performance on a regular basis have some sort of rationale behind their decisions.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 09:38:47 AM »
I actually thought Fulce looked much better, and was being more aggressive against NC State.  Hopefully we continue to see improvement from him.

But I also agree, I'd like to see E Williams at least get a couple minutes.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 10:02:25 AM »
The two positions in sports that receive unyielding support and unending optimism.

1. Backup NFL QB
2. High Profile Recruit in College Hoops

The grass is always greener with these folks.  Maybe, just maybe, the coaches who see and judge performance on a regular basis have some sort of rationale behind their decisions.

From how he has performed so far in games, I see no reason why Erik Williams couldn't play at least a few minutes each game.  Combine that with the fact that we have to give more people minutes to prevent our starters from burning out, and u have a pretty strong case for putting him in.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:07:17 AM »
Fulce did look a lot better.  He took some mid-range shots and was scrapping ala Jimmy-B under the hoop.  He had one sequence in the second half ripping away a rebound and putting it back in that should have been the rallying point for MU early in the 2nd half.  That got the crowd going and the team perked up a bit, until the turnover next possession (if I remember).  

He brings a ton of energy when he's in.  Unfortunately we weren't able to do anything with it.

Fulce is, in every way possible, a season ahead of Williams.  Fitting in, confidence, knowing his teammates, etc.  

Agreed though, I would like to see Williams get out there.  If Buzz thinks he's not ready, he's not ready.  He sees these guys everyday.  He knows a lot more than we could ever speculate.  
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 10:09:59 AM »
From the standpoint of just having bodies, the kid needs to play....especially against bad teams. 

Boone

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:30:45 AM »
It really should be a no-brainer. You can't get away with playing just 7 guys in the shot clock age. Are we to believe that all of the 7 who allowed 52 points in the 2nd half vs. NCST played the kind of D that warranted their playing time?! I highly doubt Erik could have done worse than any of the others that half.   

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 10:33:38 AM »
It really should be a no-brainer. You can't get away with playing just 7 guys in the shot clock age. Are we to believe that all of the 7 who allowed 52 points in the 2nd half vs. NCST played the kind of D that warranted their playing time?! I highly doubt Erik could have done worse than any of the others that half.   
+ 10

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 11:59:24 AM »
From the standpoint of just having bodies, the kid needs to play....especially against bad teams. 
Hopefully Erik will get a real opportunity against Presbyterian and North florida in the upcoming weeks.  Extra practice between semesters should help as well.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 12:06:28 PM »
There isn't a single reason why Williams shouldn't play.  Even if his practices suck he has to play.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 12:17:46 PM »
There isn't a single reason why Williams shouldn't play.  Even if his practices suck he has to play.

That might be the dumbest thing ever posted on MUScoop.com.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 12:18:46 PM »
Wow, that was a silly post.... :o

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 12:20:37 PM »
I just laughed at work for a solid 15 seconds after reading this and what it responded too

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 12:24:21 PM »
I happen to agree with what seems like many here that Williams should be getting some minutes.

The really big question is, why isn't he, when the logic and our last two games performance--players getting tired--dictates it?

Perhaps there needs to be more scrutiny and discourse on the quality of Buzz's coaching decisions.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »
This is just getting so old.

-Nobody really knows how Williams is doing in practice. Buzz says he is, but none of us know it for a fact.

-Just because the kid is Top 100, does not mean he is ready to contribute 8 games into his Freshman  year. Buzz said as much on his show the other day, regarding Williams and Mbao..."They are just not yet ready to help us win games" (something to that extent).

-It has been understood, pretty much since he committed, that Williams would have some development to do before he contributed in the Big East. He played inside in high school at 6'7", 200 lbs, in the middle of a 2-3 zone. He put up some nasty numbers in that role, but that doesnt mean he is ready for D1 basketball.

-With Maymon healthy, we have an 8 man rotation. We beat bigger teams in Michigan and Xavier with that 8 man rotation, and we were 1 point short of beating an even bigger team in Florida State.  We can, and will win games with that rotation.

-I hope like hell that Williams can improve, and contribute this year, it would really help us out. I am not ruling it out either. It is possible that he can keep improving and get 5-10 minutes per game. At the same time, I dont want Buzz to send him, or Mbao,  out there, just for t he sake of making it a 9 or 10 man rotation.  Those that say "he needs to play NO MATTER WHAT" just dont get it.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 01:24:02 PM »
with how coveted they are, id expect a top 100 kid to be able to contribute 8 games into the season

Boone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 01:27:13 PM »
Right. I don't think that's too much to expect.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 01:27:32 PM »
I'd like to see him get a few minutes, but as a documented in an analysis a month ago, 4-star freshman typically produce a win or two by the end of their freshman season, but 3-star freshman typically don't account for any years their freshman year in Big East play.

Of course, that is an oversimplification, because Maymon is actually among the top 4-stars and Williams is among the lower 4-stars, so closer to a 3-star.  In short, I am completely confident Maymon will produce a couple of wins at least this year, but Williams is more of a borderline.  Both should be excellent  their sophomore seasons, and potentially dominance their junior year.

That's why for me it all points to a decent year this year in which an NCAA bid would be a huge victory but an NIT is more likely.  However, with those two improving as sophomores, and the backcourt upgrading with Vander and Junior, we will be right back as a 4 or 5 seed and have a real shot at the Sweet 16.  However, unless Vander is so good that he is a one-and-done, I believer Maymon, Williams, Blue, Junior and hopefully one new big man will be part of a Final Four team in 2012.  Let's not talk about how Williams should transfer, when he could be part of such a special team by his senior season.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »
This is just getting so old.

-Nobody really knows how Williams is doing in practice. Buzz says he is, but none of us know it for a fact.

-Just because the kid is Top 100, does not mean he is ready to contribute 8 games into his Freshman  year. Buzz said as much on his show the other day, regarding Williams and Mbao..."They are just not yet ready to help us win games" (something to that extent).

-It has been understood, pretty much since he committed, that Williams would have some development to do before he contributed in the Big East. He played inside in high school at 6'7", 200 lbs, in the middle of a 2-3 zone. He put up some nasty numbers in that role, but that doesnt mean he is ready for D1 basketball.

-With Maymon healthy, we have an 8 man rotation. We beat bigger teams in Michigan and Xavier with that 8 man rotation, and we were 1 point short of beating an even bigger team in Florida State.  We can, and will win games with that rotation.

-I hope like hell that Williams can improve, and contribute this year, it would really help us out. I am not ruling it out either. It is possible that he can keep improving and get 5-10 minutes per game. At the same time, I dont want Buzz to send him, or Mbao,  out there, just for t he sake of making it a 9 or 10 man rotation.  Those that say "he needs to play NO MATTER WHAT" just dont get it.

I don't disagree with most of what you've said, but the other problem is that we are severely limited in the bodies category right with a gauntlet of games coming up.....so whether he's getting it or not, I would be shocked if we can't find 2 to 3 minutes per half to spell some guys with him.  If MU was healthy and had more bodies, I would TOTALLY agree with you.  But that's not the case.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 02:21:27 PM »
I'm a Buzz fan, but I agree that EW should have gotten some minutes against NC St.  7 man rotation is too short.  (I also think Mbao needs WAY too much work to see meaningful PT & was happy to hear that Fulce made a positive contribution.)

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 02:50:34 PM »
He also missed 2/3's of his JR year and most of he summer AAU circuit his Senior year. 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 03:13:46 PM »
with how coveted they are, id expect a top 100 kid to be able to contribute 8 games into the season

And yet, many Top 100 kids don't contribute at all as freshman...or in some cases at all in their entire career.

A top 100 label is not a guarantee of immediate(or any) success.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 03:33:21 PM »
And yet, many Top 100 kids don't contribute at all as freshman...or in some cases at all in their entire career.

A top 100 label is not a guarantee of immediate(or any) success.

That can't be true.

I heard the MU will routinely compete for a big east crown and final 4's after these 2 recruiting classes. (the one that inculdes vander)

77champs

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 03:46:45 PM »
There is a big difference between Mbao and EW when u see them out on the court.  Mbao looks slow and confused and Ew takes the ball and puts it in the hoop.   Al used to say there were practice players and game players.   Some guys were great in practice but clammed up in games and some guys would not work in practice but came to play when the lights are on.

Buzz seems to be wanting to teach Eric a lesson that you have to work in practice to get playing time.   While that may be the case, he is missing an opportunity to put EW in to see if he can help and if in fact he may be a game player as I suspect.   He has a real spark in his eye when he is in and the team seems to feed on it.   Little harm in the last 2 minutes of the half or for a longer rest for a starter just before a TV timeout.    I would love to see if he is a gamer as I sense he might be and it just might help him mature (and practice) more quickly while squeaking out some close ones.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 04:03:50 PM »
I can't wait for everyone here to watch EW play and then piss and moan about how he is terrible on defense or 'looks lost out there'.

no, really, I can't wait.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 05:18:33 PM »
There is a big difference between Mbao and EW when u see them out on the court.  Mbao looks slow and confused and Ew takes the ball and puts it in the hoop.   Al used to say there were practice players and game players.   Some guys were great in practice but clammed up in games and some guys would not work in practice but came to play when the lights are on.

Buzz seems to be wanting to teach Eric a lesson that you have to work in practice to get playing time.   While that may be the case, he is missing an opportunity to put EW in to see if he can help and if in fact he may be a game player as I suspect.   He has a real spark in his eye when he is in and the team seems to feed on it.   Little harm in the last 2 minutes of the half or for a longer rest for a starter just before a TV timeout.    I would love to see if he is a gamer as I sense he might be and it just might help him mature (and practice) more quickly while squeaking out some close ones.

"We talkin bout practice... not a game... not a game... but practice."

i'm sorry, but i completely disagree with your statement.  while i do wish EW will get minutes, if he for some reason isn't working hard enough in practice, he shouldn't play.  Otherwise you are rewarding a kid for not helping to better his teammates.  If you aren't going to be a team player and hustle and improve competition in practice, why should you get minutes.

i hope that isn't the case, because EW seems like a good, genuine, loyal kid and i wouldn't want to think that he is taking his situation for granted.  He'll get minutes soon i have a feeling.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 05:32:29 PM »

Our guys are getting gassed in the 2nd half of everygame because we only play 7 guys.  The options are to a) continue to lose games because our guys are spent after 30 minutes or b) play a guy who has bad practices but looks decent in games.

I don't want to reward bad practices but when the other option is losing, call me stupid but I'll take the win.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »
Buzz said after the NC State loss that he wanted to get EW in there but it wasn't the kind of game that he thought he could experiment.  If he is trying to send EW a message his post game statements don't support that message.  I think Buzz, right or wrong, thinks it is too risky to put him in.  Its as simple as that. 

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »
I don't want to reward bad practices but when the other option is losing, call me stupid but I'll take the win.

That makes sense, all speculation on my end; but if Williams is slacking or not picking things up maybe he will be more willing to work after he tastes a little success or lack thereof on the court. I know a coach doesn't want to reward a lack of effort/performance but letting him play 6-8 minutes might help the other guys legs enough to hold onto these x2 digit leads

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009, 05:50:09 PM »
I think Al McGuire did that once - he benched a player for something, and the game was not going well.  He looked down the bench and siad have you learned your lesson yet?  Yes coach.  OK get in there.

So . . .

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 06:05:19 PM »
My personal opinion is that if Buzz was coaching North Carolina the Wear brothers would not have got off the bench yet, because they were not as good as the top 8 players. You need to develope your players or you will lose every game in the Big East.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 06:06:11 PM »
Buzz said after the NC State loss that he wanted to get EW in there but it wasn't the kind of game that he thought he could experiment.  If he is trying to send EW a message his post game statements don't support that message.  I think Buzz, right or wrong, thinks it is too risky to put him in.  Its as simple as that.  

But too risky compared to what?  If he knows which basket he should put the ball in and which one the ball shouldn't go in he's practically ahead of what's been out there lately.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:07:42 PM by chapman »

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 06:09:52 PM »
My personal opinion is that if Buzz was coaching North Carolina the Wear brothers would not have got off the bench yet, because they were not as good as the top 8 players. You need to develope your players or you will lose every game in the Big East.

What player in recent Marquette history has developed sufficiently riding the bench?
Do we have a better chance of winning Big East games with or without him, judging by the past few games I think a lot of our guys could use a little more "developing". This might be a good year for a little trial by fire.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2009, 08:04:35 PM »
I think Al McGuire did that once - he benched a player for something, and the game was not going well.  He looked down the bench and siad have you learned your lesson yet?  Yes coach.  OK get in there.

So . . .

Al started Bill Neary ahead of Bernard Toone the entire 1977 season even though Neary wasn't a top 500 player and Toone was top 20. Probably cost MU at least a few victories in our first 20 or so games. But in the final push to make the NCAAs and in the tournament itself Bernard logged big minutes off the bench and Bill was a starter "in name only". Al was stubborn, but not enough to let his last year go down in flames because of it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 08:21:34 PM »
Our guys are getting gassed in the 2nd half of everygame because we only play 7 guys.  The options are to a) continue to lose games because our guys are spent after 30 minutes or b) play a guy who has bad practices but looks decent in games.

I agree that we looked "gassed" the last 10 minutes against FSU. It was our fourth game in six days, we play at a frenetic pace and FSU had the size to wear us down physically.

But against NC State we were coming off a week's rest and totally collapsed at the BEGINNING of the second half. Fatigue wasn't the problem - effort, intensity and execution were. The only decent basketball played by MU in the 2nd half came in the final three minutes when we should have been most fatigued.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 09:00:41 PM »
Al started Bill Neary ahead of Bernard Toone the entire 1977 season even though Neary wasn't a top 500 player and Toone was top 20. Probably cost MU at least a few victories in our first 20 or so games. But in the final push to make the NCAAs and in the tournament itself Bernard logged big minutes off the bench and Bill was a starter "in name only". Al was stubborn, but not enough to let his last year go down in flames because of it.

Al started Neary because he had a policy to start seniors. Bernard played more minutes than bill in almost every game.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 09:01:56 PM »

3 minutes of game time where he gets his a** handed to him is not going to help develop EWill.  Practice time is where he is going to develop.  Buzz is putting his best players on the floor who give him the best chance of winning.  If that means 5 players play 40 minutes than that is what he will do.  This team is thin at the moment so only 7-8 players warrant playing time.  Buzz wants to win now and I don't see a problem with who he plays.  Everyone on this board has not seen a practice since Halloween.  Buzz has.   I think it is safe to say that he knows his team better than any of us.  If Buzz wants to pack it in, I am sure we will see Yous and EWill's minutes explode.  

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 09:05:53 PM »
I agree that we looked "gassed" the last 10 minutes against FSU. It was our fourth game in six days, we play at a frenetic pace and FSU had the size to wear us down physically.

But against NC State we were coming off a week's rest and totally collapsed at the BEGINNING of the second half. Fatigue wasn't the problem - effort, intensity and execution were. The only decent basketball played by MU in the 2nd half came in the final three minutes when we should have been most fatigued.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Fatigue did not play a part in any game except FSU.  They play what, 40 minutes in a 2 hour time frame.  I would guess their practices are a lot more brutal.  These kids, in this day and age play hoops 24/7 every day of the year.  They don't tire easily.

Sloppy bad defense was our problem on Saturday and EWill was not going to help out on either front.  Here is hoping he gets some minutes against UWM where we have a very healthy lead and win.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 09:20:44 PM »
3 minutes of game time where he gets his a** handed to him is not going to help develop EWill.  Practice time is where he is going to develop.  Buzz is putting his best players on the floor who give him the best chance of winning.  If that means 5 players play 40 minutes than that is what he will do.  This team is thin at the moment so only 7-8 players warrant playing time.  Buzz wants to win now and I don't see a problem with who he plays.  Everyone on this board has not seen a practice since Halloween.  Buzz has.   I think it is safe to say that he knows his team better than any of us.  If Buzz wants to pack it in, I am sure we will see Yous and EWill's minutes explode.  

Your common sense, clear, & well-thought arguments have no place on this internet message board.  Be gone with you!

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2009, 09:23:17 PM »
In the garbage blow out games, the bench should get some decent minutes - at least they develop in a non-threatening part of the game.  But they are playing - they are on the floor.  Buzz wants to win periiod.  And in the NCST game, I can see him saying hwat he said - not a time to experiment.  But in SOME games, there is adequate time to experiment - I think that's all any of us awre saying.  A player will develop somewhat getting in and playing better than watching.

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 09:26:54 PM »
It's nice to hear Bernard Toone's name mentioned.  I had a Physics class with him and he was unintentionally hilarious.  Made a lot of good plays against UNC in the final.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Didn't know BT could spell physics.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2009, 09:44:13 PM »
Never in a million years would I have associated Bernard Toone with a physics class.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2009, 12:16:13 AM »
It was some basic freshman physics course - it may have been integrated science - taught by Dr. Lee.  BT was taking it (even though he was a sophomore) with some other BB players, I think Robert Byrd also.  I still remember Dr. Lee telling BT out loud in class one day (in his accented English), "You give me autographed basketball, I give you A!"  Cracked us up.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2009, 08:03:33 AM »
It was some basic freshman physics course - it may have been integrated science - taught by Dr. Lee.  BT was taking it (even though he was a sophomore) with some other BB players, I think Robert Byrd also.  I still remember Dr. Lee telling BT out loud in class one day (in his accented English), "You give me autographed basketball, I give you A!"  Cracked us up.

I think I took that class back in 82 or 83.  It was at the Varsity Theater and everyone called it "Basketball Physics" because it was a fairly easy class.  We were able to bring in a half sheet of notebook paper to the final with as much as you could possibly write down on both sides of the page.  Those were the days......
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2009, 08:56:57 AM »
So what's the "over / under" on how many minutes EW plays tonight?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2009, 09:18:23 AM »
So what's the "over / under" on how many minutes EW plays tonight?

5/12

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2009, 09:53:04 AM »

How do you know he will get his a** handed to him?  Secondly, in games where we have had 20, 30 point leads he hasn't played either....that's concerning...I don't think his a** would be handed to him in those games (and if so, is that 20 or 30 point lead going to be jeopardy?).   

Besides, even in a higher profile game, putting someone like Williams in for a few minutes is not going to expose the team.  It's not like the other coach goes...."hey, there's Erik Williams, we have no film on him and he hasn't played all year so now we're going to run everything at him since we know nothing about him."

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2009, 10:26:38 AM »

Strange. FSU was playing their fourth game in six days as well and yet, after a tepid first half, was able to look enthused, energized, and excellent in the second half.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2009, 11:13:22 AM »
Strange. FSU was playing their fourth game in six days as well and yet, after a tepid first half, was able to look enthused, energized, and excellent in the second half.

Since they're bigger, stronger and deeper than MU I don't find that strange at all.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »
Since they're bigger, stronger and deeper than MU I don't find that strange at all.

That's what she said.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »

Because those attributes wouldn't make their presence known in the first half?

It'll be a long year when we continue to take 11 or 12 point leads into halftime and then choke them away simply because these attributes have somehow morphed into the unbeatable despite leading the opponent to a double digit deficit.

Everyone is bigger. Have been for the last four years. I question the stronger given our training program. And FSU played one more guy then Marquette. Not like they rolled 12 at us.

Lot of reasons for the chokes but it comes down to focus. It needs to sharpen.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »
Yes, FSU played one more guy than MU.    What was most interesting there is that they went 4 guard, and were still bigger than us. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »
hopefully everyone can shut the hell up about this now.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2009, 07:16:35 PM »
especially since he looks a little clueless
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2009, 07:17:33 PM »
[pissandmoan] WOW, what the hell is EWill doing in there??? He looks lost out there on offense and I'm not sure he can play D at any sort of impressive level [/pissandmoan]

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2009, 08:30:13 PM »
How do you know he will get his a** handed to him?  Secondly, in games where we have had 20, 30 point leads he hasn't played either....that's concerning...I don't think his a** would be handed to him in those games (and if so, is that 20 or 30 point lead going to be jeopardy?).   

Besides, even in a higher profile game, putting someone like Williams in for a few minutes is not going to expose the team.  It's not like the other coach goes...."hey, there's Erik Williams, we have no film on him and he hasn't played all year so now we're going to run everything at him since we know nothing about him."

How do I know he is going to get his a** handed to him?  Because I listen to Buzz on his radio show.  Because I watch the Buzz Williams Show on tv.  The kid is not ready.  Buzz has stated numerous times that he will not put EWill or Yous in a game where they will not be successful.  He is mentioned numerous times that they will not play until they understand the scouting report.  Thats how I know that he is going to get his a** handed to him against good competition.

Yes he didn't play in a game early on against a patsy.  There were other reasons involved there.  EWill has played a few minutes here and there when we were playing mid tiered teams.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2009, 09:11:55 PM »
The biggest play of the game is when E Will healed all the sick by stepping on the court
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2009, 09:39:40 PM »
The biggest play of the game is when E Will healed all the sick by stepping on the court

You have to admit that was a classy move.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »
FSU also had 4 games in 6 days, same as us.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2009, 09:55:13 PM »
One offensive rebound against UW-Milwaukee.  Hopefully from now till Christmas E Williams learns what Buzz wants him to.  We do need E Williams to contribute on the floor.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:07:01 PM by NCMUFan »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2009, 09:57:36 PM »
How do I know he is going to get his a** handed to him?  Because I listen to Buzz on his radio show.  Because I watch the Buzz Williams Show on tv.  The kid is not ready.  Buzz has stated numerous times that he will not put EWill or Yous in a game where they will not be successful.  He is mentioned numerous times that they will not play until they understand the scouting report.  Thats how I know that he is going to get his a** handed to him against good competition.

Yes he didn't play in a game early on against a patsy.  There were other reasons involved there.  EWill has played a few minutes here and there when we were playing mid tiered teams.

I've watched his show as well each week.   I thought Williams did fine tonight.  He's a freshman, he needs to be out there due to the body shortage we have. 9 minutes, got a couple of boards, committed a few fouls, the team didn't suffer as a result.  That's all people are asking when we see other players make mistakes due to fatigue, etc.

Now, Mbao....wow, talk about lost.  That's going to take a bit more than just 25lbs to get him to Big East elite status

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2009, 09:58:48 PM »
I've watched his show as well each week.   I thought Williams did fine tonight.  He's a freshman, he needs to be out there due to the body shortage we have. 9 minutes, got a couple of boards, committed a few fouls, the team didn't suffer as a result.  That's all people are asking when we see other players make mistakes due to fatigue, etc.

Now, Mbao....wow, talk about lost.  That's going to take a bit more than just 25lbs to get him to Big East elite status

well this was UWM, not one of the OSC teams... so... yeah.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2009, 10:03:36 PM »
Thought E Will looked very serviceable out there tonight. Not going to put up big numbers at this stage but he does have energy in his legs, five fouls to give and can grab some rebounds. Really I'd rather see him out there getting time to develop than Joe Fulce. Nothing against Joe but I can really tell the difference between the two when they are out there so you might as well go with the Frosh.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2009, 10:11:24 PM »
I loved it when he kept an offensive rebound alive by tipping it off the backboard.  I thought he played pretty well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2009, 11:34:53 PM »
well this was UWM, not one of the OSC teams... so... yeah.

Agreed, but I was more alarmed at the fact he wasn't seeing a minute of play against Maryland Eastern Shore and only 2 minutes against Centennary.  Even against OSC teams, it would have been nice to get him in for 2 minutes a half.

At any rate, good to seem him play tonight.  Hopefully that continues in the upcoming games....I think it has to in order to give him some confidence and to allow some guys to take a breather.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2009, 12:41:37 AM »
I like how when maymon struggles he is developing, and when erik williams gets in and doesn't light it up he is clueless and not ready.

downtown85

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2009, 05:03:53 AM »

Chicos, this is about the 50th time you mentioned Mbao gaining 25lbs will make him a quality big in the Big East.  I am sorry but I missed the original reference.  Please elighten. 

downtown85

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2009, 05:06:40 AM »
I like how when maymon struggles he is developing, and when erik williams gets in and doesn't light it up he is clueless and not ready.

I watched Ewill closely for all 9 minutes he was in there.  He looked a little uncertain but not clueless.  He didn't make any real blunders, particularly on defense.  I thought he had a good game for the reasons others have mentioned, building confidence, etc. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2009, 05:11:38 AM »
Chicos, this is about the 50th time you mentioned Mbao gaining 25lbs will make him a quality big in the Big East.  I am sorry but I missed the original reference.  Please elighten. 

Mr Hayward made a previous post regarding Mbao and the fact that once he gains 25 pounds and experience, by his senior year he would be like all BE, NBA ready, first round pick, to that effect. 

downtown85

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2009, 07:13:27 AM »
Mr Hayward made a previous post regarding Mbao and the fact that once he gains 25 pounds and experience, by his senior year he would be like all BE, NBA ready, first round pick, to that effect. 

Thanks nyg.  I figured it was something like that.  I am not going to step in the middle of that argument especially on a thread about EWill.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2009, 07:19:45 AM »
I watched Ewill closely for all 9 minutes he was in there.  He looked a little uncertain but not clueless.  He didn't make any real blunders, particularly on defense.  I thought he had a good game for the reasons others have mentioned, building confidence, etc. 
I did likewise.  I thought he looked much like someone learning a new position at a higher level (pretty in depth there huh).  Seriously, after watching last night and reading the boards over the past few weeks, I think that Buzz is doing this about right.  EWill will be good but needs to mature at this level.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2009, 07:39:05 AM »
EW looks fine other than his defense.  He needs to back off a tad on his man when he is above the 3 pt line.  Just stay between your man and the basket.  He is going to pick up alot of useless fouls otherwise.

Anyone see that play with Fulce leading the break on that 2 on 1.  What the hell was he doing?  Hunched over, looking at Butler all the way down the floor, too close to the middle of the lane, passed to Butler way too early (who was fouled, but easily could have picked up a charge).  Looked like a high school JV play.  I must be missing something when I watch him play, considering he is a starter on this team.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2009, 07:55:11 AM »
Give Fulce some credit.  it was a hell of a steal by him.  I imagine he doesn't get that many break away steals as a guard would since he is in the front court primarily on defense.  He did a good job, the play could of ended much worst.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2009, 09:39:04 AM »
EW will be a contributer next year.

It is far easier for guards to adapt to D1 ball their first year than Fs and Cs, especially, if those kids are like EW and not yet grown into their bodies and learned how to physically use their body.  He has great athletic potential, but gets pushed around way to easily and I noticed on a play or two he let his man get the ball way to low and then compounded the error by fouling to create a +1.

Once he and his body has adapted to the rigors of D1 play, he will be fun to watch because he will be able to run the floor and still provide a shot-altering inside presence that will compliment Maymon's bulk inside presence.

Typically, the biggest improvement in a typical b-ball player is between the 1st and 2nd year.