[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Calvin Godfrey - eligible NOW  (Read 19367 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Calvin Godfrey - eligible NOW
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »
Sorry.  Guess I'm not in your league. 

Doesn't have anything to do with me. Just asking for some context / basis for your suggestion that MU is only offering 3.0 GPA kids. "Of the players I've seen MU offering in 2015"... don't know what that means. Maybe it means Matt and one other player. Maybe it means 20+ kids.. don't know what you've seen or how you got their GPA.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »
Fair enough. 

Yes, the GPA's for Cheatham and about 4 of the guards I've seen them involved with have GPA's over 3.0.  Does that mean every recruit?  No.  Just the one's I've been able to find GPA's listed on the internet stories and could they be wrong?  Sure.

As I said before, I don't feel Godfrey is someone Wojo is going to go after and I'll admit I could be wrong.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 02:52:40 PM »
Doesn't have anything to do with me. Just asking for some context / basis for your suggestion that MU is only offering 3.0 GPA kids. "Of the players I've seen MU offering in 2015"... don't know what that means. Maybe it means Matt and one other player. Maybe it means 20+ kids.. don't know what you've seen or how you got their GPA.

I think you are wrong, BJ. I have it on good authority that the hiring of Wojo was orchestrated by a still very much involved Larry Williams as part of a plan to turn Marquette into Duke Light. Wojo is a Freemason and has links to the Trilateral Commission - as do Mike Brey, Coach K, and Kevin White. None of this is coincidence.

Death on call

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 02:55:49 PM »
Looks like Mr Calvin will be headed to Connecticut.  Yall sure we dont want him?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »
As I said before, I don't feel Godfrey is someone Wojo is going to go after and I'll admit I could be wrong.

On that we agree. That is, my feel is Wojo would pass. I'd just hope he'd consider for at least a minute or two. And I don't think he would pass because of an analysis of Godfrey's GPA (which may or may not be a cumulative 3.0).

Who knows.. it's only August 2... something else could happen in the next few weeks. If not, stay healthy Big Steve! Make your mark Young Juan!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »
Love the stat line, but am concerned about the red flags. Being associated with four different colleges up to this point is less than ideal.

As a fan, I hope Wojo will at least look at and talk to the kid. I would also hope that Wojo would pass if he didn't think this kid was right for our team.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:15:39 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »
Mark Miller is saying UCONN

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »
I already have in my mind that this season is really about preparing for next season. That is why it did not bother me that Mayo is not coming back. Now the time Mayo would of got most likely falls to Duane and JJJ. Getting another big would be nice, but I am happy were we are at right now and do not want any new problem players.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »

Well, if he signs with UCONN then we likely passed due to character issues

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 08:55:11 PM »

+1
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NYeagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2014, 08:56:59 PM »
Here's a question...

If Marquette has a rough beginning to the upcoming season, will it have an impact on the decision of Ellenson or Stone?

Calvin Godfrey would unquestionably provide desperately needed rebounding and toughness on a team that has some pretty talented guards and wings. And if he can keep us competitive before the conference games begin, it may help with those players looking to make a decision in November. 17 year olds do get affected if the team they were considering is doing badly.

Additionally, Godfrey, Fischer, Taylor, and Anderson would be a fine front court for the tough conference schedule.

Lastly, I have no problem helping a local kid return to his roots if he is trying to make a serious change in his life. If Wojo sees that, then it's worth a shot.
Passt auf! Die NYeagle fliegt.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »
The expectations for next year's team are low, outside some more optimistic MU fans.   As long as the team competes and progresses, it shouldn't hurt the recrutiment of Ellenson or stone.   If Wojo simply doesn't have it, it will negatively affect recruiting. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2014, 10:07:44 PM »
Here's a question...

If Marquette has a rough beginning to the upcoming season, will it have an impact on the decision of Ellenson or Stone?

The most likely answer is, "no, it will have zero impact on their decision."

The early signing period begins before the official start of the season. Stone may try to keep things quiet until the first day of that signing period; I think we'll hear from Henry much earlier. Regardless, I find it very likely they will have both signed an NLI with a school by the time the NCAA regular season begins on November 14.

(PS - my expectations aren't low!)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 11:34:38 PM »

SS Marquette

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2014, 02:19:45 AM »
I find it ironic that a large majority of posters said, in essence  , " good riddance" to todd mayo leaving yet a majority of posters then post that we could use this guy.  

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »
Given that UConn has made this discussion moot, I will say that if he were still available I'd want Wojo to at least give Godfrey serious, serious consideration.

Aren't there detractors out there about Carlino, too?

It would be a one-year thing, just as it will be for Godfrey. Worst-case scenario: It ended up being a bad fit and a season that probably wasn't going to be glorious anyway goes down the tubes. Best-case scenario: Godfrey's troubles were overstated, he brings exactly the toughness and rebounding MU lacks, and the team has a surprisingly good season.

I'd have rolled the dice - or at least looked into the possibility of rolling the dice.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2014, 11:02:13 AM »
I find it ironic that a large majority of posters said, in essence  , " good riddance" to todd mayo leaving yet a majority of posters then post that we could use this guy.  

Plenty to guards, 1 front line player to start the season. Team is better off without mayo, going to be a rough season regardless, why waste minutes.

That said, Wojo won't be taking any character issue guys with his first class. 

LA

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »
Being associated with four different colleges up to this point is less than ideal.

You mean like Carlino?

I'm not saying their circumstances aren't different, frankly none of us really know; but if that concerns you then take a look at our potential starting PG.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »
You mean like Carlino?

I'm not saying their circumstances aren't different, frankly none of us really know; but if that concerns you then take a look at our potential starting PG.

Carlino decommitted from one, and voluntarily transferred from two others. Making us his fourth. That is very different from being kicked off one, failing to qualify for another, having academic issues at a juco, and voluntarily transferring from the fourth.

But as I said in an earlier post, I would hope that Wojo would at least check the kid out and even talk to him. If the kid was geniunly looking for another shot, and Wojo believed him, I would be happy with the pickup.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2014, 11:53:25 PM »
I would be happy with the pickup.

They're all beautiful at bar time and my clock says it's 0155...

Death on call

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2014, 08:50:59 AM »
Carlino decommitted from one, and voluntarily transferred from two others. Making us his fourth. That is very different from being kicked off one, failing to qualify for another, having academic issues at a juco, and voluntarily transferring from the fourth.

But as I said in an earlier post, I would hope that Wojo would at least check the kid out and even talk to him. If the kid was geniunly looking for another shot, and Wojo believed him, I would be happy with the pickup.
Does anyone else find it ironic that people on this board see Carlino decommiting from playing for Tom Crean as a negative?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 03:07:53 PM »
Memphis it is, apparently

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2014, 07:12:49 PM »

He be wrong.