[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UNLV's Derrick Jones ACT "canceled" ruled ineligible  (Read 12093 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
UNLV's Derrick Jones ACT "canceled" ruled ineligible
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:08:39 PM »
He's from Philly and I seem to remember Buzz making a run or two after him.  Nova and Uconn did offer him.

He also played AAU with Traci Carter

-------
side note ... Derrick Rose and now Derrick Jones.  Guys named Derrick seems to have real problems with the ACT.

-------

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/14886154/unlv-derrick-jones-shocked-loss-eligibility

After 30 games this season, the NCAA has declared UNLV freshman Derrick Jones ineligible after his test score was canceled by the ACT.

jsglow

• All American
Re: UNLV's Derrick Jones ACT "canceled" ruled ineligible
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:30:47 AM »
Reading the story is disturbing.  There's no allegation of any kind of malfeasance.  It's called a statistical anomaly.  Look, I'm all for close scrutiny on this kind of thing but in the absence of any evidence, at least not described in the article.....

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 08:46:31 AM »
The Rebel fans here are going nuts - and rightfully so.  They don't have many bodies left to fill a team. Here's a local writer's take on the Rebels season of upheaval:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/ed-graney/derrick-jones-ouster-another-insult-unlv-season-injury
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 08:56:16 AM »
I have no doubt the test is a bad one for reasons that the article stated.  However the NCAA should get out of the business of determining what students are academically eligible.  That should be left up to the schools.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 09:05:44 AM »
Reading the story is disturbing.  There's no allegation of any kind of malfeasance.  It's called a statistical anomaly.  Look, I'm all for close scrutiny on this kind of thing but in the absence of any evidence, at least not described in the article.....

That was my take after reading the ESPN story, as well.  The second story posted by VegasWarrior showed what made it suspicious, which was the location where he took the test.  It doesn't seem likely that he would travel that far to take the ACT, especially at a location which had had tests invalidated for this reason in the past. 
When I was in high school, I was offered money to go 50 or 60 miles away to take the SAT for another basketball player looking for a scholarship.  He told me not to do too good and that he needed around 1000 and I told him to find someone who actually got around 1000 to take the test, because I wouldn't have any idea how many to get right and how many to get wrong to end up around 1000. 

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 09:32:48 AM »
I have no doubt the test is a bad one for reasons that the article stated.  However the NCAA should get out of the business of determining what students are academically eligible.  That should be left up to the schools.

You're putting a lot of faith in human nature.  The NCAA got into it because the competitive nature of Division I football and basketball put too much pressure on schools for a few of them to resist cheating.  Heck, look what happened at North Carolina with fake classes to keep basketball players eligible.  Can we really count on Kentucky to keep Calipari in check if the NCAA threat is removed?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 09:39:15 AM »
That was my take after reading the ESPN story, as well.  The second story posted by VegasWarrior showed what made it suspicious, which was the location where he took the test.  It doesn't seem likely that he would travel that far to take the ACT, especially at a location which had had tests invalidated for this reason in the past. 
When I was in high school, I was offered money to go 50 or 60 miles away to take the SAT for another basketball player looking for a scholarship.  He told me not to do too good and that he needed around 1000 and I told him to find someone who actually got around 1000 to take the test, because I wouldn't have any idea how many to get right and how many to get wrong to end up around 1000.

Not smart enough to get 1000 on the SAT, but smart enough to know not to have a substitute taking the test for him do too well.  Sounds like someone coached him on how to qualify.  The NCAA has got it tough to catch this type of cheating.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
You're putting a lot of faith in human nature.  The NCAA got into it because the competitive nature of Division I football and basketball put too much pressure on schools for a few of them to resist cheating.  Heck, look what happened at North Carolina with fake classes to keep basketball players eligible.  Can we really count on Kentucky to keep Calipari in check if the NCAA threat is removed?

My position is that schools can admit who they want under whatever standards they have in place.  If a school wants to let in a bunch of students that are great at basketball, but can't read otherwise, that is up to them.  They are the ones that have to live with the results of that, especially if you keep the APR standards in place.

Because right now you have a system that is rife with abuse anyway and likely doesn't really accomplish what it set out to accomplish in the first place.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 09:58:05 AM »

My position is that schools can admit who they want under whatever standards they have in place.  If a school wants to let in a bunch of students that are great at basketball, but can't read otherwise, that is up to them.  They are the ones that have to live with the results of that, especially if you keep the APR standards in place.

Because right now you have a system that is rife with abuse anyway and likely doesn't really accomplish what it set out to accomplish in the first place.

I agree that the system is rife with abuse, and I actually have sympathy for the lack of options for kids who project as basketball players but not as students who have to deal with the fact that the NCAA has largely taken away their options for developing their games post high school.  Still, if there are going to be standards, and - even if only for face savings reasons - the schools want standards, then I think that the NCAA policing - ineffective as it can be at times - still works to keep the most egregious abuses in check.  Even if it only keeps most cases of cheating undiscovered, arguably the threat of NCAA sanctions do the PR job of keeping schools from looking compromised.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 10:10:43 AM »

True, there was no "we know how you did it" type of accusation, except maybe the reputation of the test center involved in conjunction with a result that must have been quite an anomaly.  And, he was offered the option to take the test again which he refused.  Whatever the evidence of an out of wack score was, it must have been persuasive since it convinced the ACT people to take a look even though they were not obligated to.   As the story states: "It is important to note that the inquiry does not ask the testing agency to investigate a particular student's test score," the spokeswoman said. "The testing agency has sole authority and discretion to initiate a formal score review."  And it was the ACT that cancelled Jones' test score.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 02:27:47 PM »
You must be a North Carolina fan.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 02:31:23 PM »
He's being replaced by Dawson Jones?

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »
Why didn't NCAA do this earlier? But Don't the know facts. But if this was Duke or North Carolina
this would not have been overlooked by NCAA. Still can't figure out Grayson Allen not getting suspended for at least 3 games for tripping.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 04:29:17 PM »
Take out the word "not". Blew it. Would have been overlooked.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 06:22:18 PM »
Why didn't NCAA do this earlier? But Don't the know facts. But if this was Duke or North Carolina
this would have been overlooked by NCAA. Still can't figure out Grayson Allen not getting suspended for at least 3 games for tripping.

We're still waiting for NC to get penalized... (crickets)...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 05:11:05 AM »

Whoa....nothing could go wrong there....fox guarding the hen house.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 05:12:43 AM »
this would not have been overlooked by NCAA. Still can't figure out Grayson Allen not getting suspended for at least 3 games for tripping.

North Carolina is about to be hammered.  They have had the charges levied against them, they are in the responding phase right now, but rest assured UNC is going to get clobbered.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 07:34:59 AM »
I agree with Sultan, NCAA should enforce graduation/academic standards while enrolled at a university and maintain the APR metrics. They should get out of determining standards for athletes to get into a school.

The schools are absorbing all of the risk if they admit a kid that cheated in high school or on examines if s/he can't hack it in college. It creates unnecessary burdens, complications, expense and hierarchy.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 08:12:08 AM »
North Carolina is about to be hammered.  They have had the charges levied against them, they are in the responding phase right now, but rest assured UNC is going to get clobbered.

I hope so. What happened there was just disgraceful. I've wondered if the NCAA has been waiting for Roy Williams to retire. That shouldn't be a factor but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 08:18:49 AM »
I agree with Sultan, NCAA should enforce graduation/academic standards while enrolled at a university and maintain the APR metrics. They should get out of determining standards for athletes to get into a school.

The schools are absorbing all of the risk if they admit a kid that cheated in high school or on examines if s/he can't hack it in college. It creates unnecessary burdens, complications, expense and hierarchy.

I understand the argument, but I don't agree. Schools have too much motivation to cheat and without a third party to hold them accountable they could easily make scandals disappear. You say they absorb all the risk for admitting a kid who can't hack it in college. What risk is there? They would be in charge of holding themselves accountable. Just give themselves a slap on the wrist and say its taken care of. Without the NCAA, there is zero risk for universities to admit whoever they want.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 08:40:13 AM »
Whoa....nothing could go wrong there....fox guarding the hen house.

If a school wants to enroll a bunch of kids that can't read and put them in jerseys to play a sport, go ahead.  If they want to sacrifice their mission for athletic success, that's their problem. 

But I'm kind of an anarchist on these issues anyway.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 09:27:56 AM »

If a school wants to enroll a bunch of kids that can't read and put them in jerseys to play a sport, go ahead.  If they want to sacrifice their mission for athletic success, that's their problem. 

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 11:56:55 AM »

That school can join the NAIA, or be an independent outside of the NCAA then

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 12:01:49 PM »
That school can join the NAIA, or be an independent outside of the NCAA then

OK.

It is simply my opinion that the NCAA should get out of the business of academically qualifying athletes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 12:06:48 PM »
I hope so. What happened there was just disgraceful. I've wondered if the NCAA has been waiting for Roy Williams to retire. That shouldn't be a factor but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

They were served up notice of allegations in a 60 page report including 5 major NCAA infractions, all Level One infractions...the worst kind.

People want swift "justice" on this stuff, but it doesn't work that way for a myriad of reasons.  People can't wait to put tin foil hats on (not you) to say it's because it is UNC and it will cost millions....that's nonsense.  NCAA, the networks, etc, the dollars are coming in based on contracts whether UNC is in the tournament or not.

http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2016-02-10/north-carolinas-ncaa-academic-case-stuck-in-holding-pattern

feedback