[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why Matt Heldt Will Be Great!  (Read 6450 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Why Matt Heldt Will Be Great!
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 08:52:11 AM »
If this is your point then why is the thread titled "Why Matt Heldt Will Be Great"? If this is the point you were trying to make a more appropriate title would be "Why Matt Heldt isn't necessarily bad" or "Why Matt Heldt could get better" or even "Why Matt Heldt could be great". I think this is where the issue lies

Heisenberg does this all the time.  He makes declarative statements, that I don't even think he believes sometimes, simply to stir things up.  He is right that it is too early to tell but you are correct that this is not what the subject line said.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 08:54:33 AM »

Heisenberg does this all the time.  He makes declarative statements, that I don't even think he believes sometimes, simply to stir things up. He is right that it is too early to tell but you are correct that this is not what the subject line said.

Correct!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 08:56:38 AM »
Well then you can't really bitch at people for "just wanting to fight" when you don't really believe what you are saying anyways.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 08:58:22 AM »
Well then you can't really bitch at people for "just wanting to fight" when you don't really believe what you are saying anyways.

Then did not read what I said, only reacted to the headline

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »
He has good hands, which is what gives him the ability to become a very good player. He does need to learn to relax when he comes in a game. That comes with playing time. Unless he can develop the skills to play the 4, he will never make the pros like Kaminsky has. He is small for a college center, because he is not a leaper.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
Then did not read what I said, only reacted to the headline

But you wrote said headline, and if your intent was to say "We just don't know and no one can make any projections about him for at least a year" which was also in your OP, you didn't just bury the lead, you completely misrepresented it.

Kind of disingenuous to get upset at people for reading the title, which by definition should be a brief synopsis of the text that will follow, and responding in a negative way when you don't even believe the title in the first place and are making a statement you have no intention of supporting.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2015, 12:27:40 PM »
Wow you guys really just want to fight. Not read and contribute, just fight.

Ok here are the cliff notes version for the reading impaired ...

We have a three-star center that started slow.  And I read this ...

So I pointed out another tall three-star center that started slow the first six games, who played 38 minutes, his Freshman year.  That experienced told you nothing about what he became.  He did improve a lot over the net 3 1/2 years.  Actually he did something never seen before in college basketball history.

So instead of fighting with me, how about taking comments like those above to task.

That is too hard.  It is far easier to ANALYZE what I wrote to death with the expressed purpose of starting a fight.  Because that is what we do here, disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2015, 02:17:22 PM »
He has good hands, which is what gives him the ability to become a very good player. He does need to learn to relax when he comes in a game. That comes with playing time. Unless he can develop the skills to play the 4, he will never make the pros like Kaminsky has. He is small for a college center, because he is not a leaper.
Yes, he does have good hands and he can shoot the face up shot (though we have yet to see it).  Right now he does not relax because he is thinking way too much as you can literally see him looking to where he should go.  Yes, height will be his drawback in terms of the NBA.  But, he can be a very nice collegiate center with experience.  Too bad MU is not really in a situation for him to have red-shirted this season.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »
If Heldt turns out to be Chris Grimm 2.0 I'll be ok with that. I know he has some potential, but I also know not everyone realizes that potential.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

GOO

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 04:51:38 PM »
Yes, he does have good hands and he can shoot the face up shot (though we have yet to see it).  Right now he does not relax because he is thinking way too much as you can literally see him looking to where he should go.  Yes, height will be his drawback in terms of the NBA.  But, he can be a very nice collegiate center with experience.  Too bad MU is not really in a situation for him to have red-shirted this season.
We should always have a project big on the roster.  Maybe two spaced two years apart.  How many times have we faced mid-majors with solid big men who are juniors and seniors who could have helped us...?  Gone should be the days of starting 6'6" guys at center who can't even shoot a jumper.  Or 6'9" guys who can't shoot outside of 3 feet and who's defenders clog the lane.   You can't teach big as we all know.

For big men, the first question I have is about the Hands. You can't teach soft hands. Heldt has soft hands.  The next question is how they move their feet.  Not technique as that is teachable  Heldt is mid grade here and a bit of a concern.  But he can improve.  If nothing else, he will be able to draw an opposing big outside the paint on offense, and he will be able to defend and bang underneath.  He will be a large man by junior year.. he has the build for it and he has a great big man coach in Wojo.  He will contribute at MU as long as he sticks it out for a couple of years. 

He is the perfect type of guy to have on the roster, a real big with hands and can shoot it.  He will probably take two years, but will help this team in the future.  He has good hands and he can actually shoot the ball, which until Wojo came was pretty much unheard of for MU bigs in recent times.
So having a real big even one who is a bit of a project is perfect by me. Keep them coming every couple of years.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »
Wow you guys really just want to fight. Not read and contribute, just fight.

Ok here are the cliff notes version for the reading impaired ...

We have a three-star center that started slow.  And I read this ...

So I pointed out another tall three-star center that started slow the first six games, who played 38 minutes, his Freshman year.  That experienced told you nothing about what he became.  He did improve a lot over the net 3 1/2 years.  Actually he did something never seen before in college basketball history.

So instead of fighting with me, how about taking comments like those above to task.

That is too hard.  It is far easier to ANALYZE what I wrote to death with the expressed purpose of starting a fight.  Because that is what we do here, disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

You have fallen victim to literal reading disease.  I understood what you meant fine and agree with you.  Often we use declarative statements for emphasis not meant to be taken literally (as you did); I understand this and read it as meant.  I've learned though that often people will take things absolutely literally and the response is to generally ridicule on message boards (no idea why or if the people doing it even mean any hostility).

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2015, 06:53:24 PM »
You have fallen victim to literal reading disease.  I understood what you meant fine and agree with you.  Often we use declarative statements for emphasis not meant to be taken literally (as you did); I understand this and read it as meant.  I've learned though that often people will take things absolutely literally and the response is to generally ridicule on message boards (no idea why or if the people doing it even mean any hostility).

This.  People can't seem to grasp that the title of this thread was tongue in cheek.  I have a feeling whether or not you read the politics board may impact your ability to see a thread by Heisenberg and see it as tongue in cheek and not crazy talk.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »
I think we were in the situation to redshirt him. I do not think this year that he will be the diffenece between us winning or losing a game. You could always pull the redshirt, if Fischer or Ellenson got hurt.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:18:15 PM by bilsu »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2015, 07:13:56 PM »
This.  People can't seem to grasp that the title of this thread was tongue in cheek.  I have a feeling whether or not you read the politics board may impact your ability to see a thread by Heisenberg and see it as tongue in cheek and not crazy talk.

I think those that are regulars on the politics board can compartmentalize.  What opinions offered there stay there.  The basketball opinions here are taking based on the BASKETBALL opinion of the poster, not the POLITICAL opinion of the poster.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2015, 10:47:11 AM »
I think his perceived success will be a result of how well our young guards develop. If Traci and Cheatham are tearing things up then it will be a different game for Matt.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2015, 11:23:02 AM »
I think his perceived success will be a result of how well our young guards develop. If Traci and Cheatham are tearing things up then it will be a different game for Matt.
But it is a lot easier for guards to tear it up if they have a big that can draw out a defender, and have someone with decent hands to dump it off to or kick it out to.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2015, 11:26:45 AM »
I think we were in the situation to redshirt him. I do not think this year that he will be the diffenece between us winning or losing a game. You could always pull the redshirt, if Fischer or Ellenson got hurt.
Disagree.  MU would have a short roster without him and no help if Luke and Henry are in foul trouble or hurt in game.