[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul Stuns Georgetown, Hoyas Out Of The Big Dance?  (Read 6951 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
DePaul Stuns Georgetown, Hoyas Out Of The Big Dance?
« on: March 13, 2014, 12:04:50 AM »
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400544170

DePaul 60
GU      56

(note: this is Oliver Purnell's first BE tourney win)

Does this mean the hoyas will not be dancing?

If this kills off Georgetown, is this good for us (one less BE bubble team to compete with) or bad for us (makes the conference look bad).

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:06:28 AM by Heisenberg »

MUfan12

• All American
Re: DePaul Stuns Georgetown, Hoyas Out Of The Big Dance?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:07:36 AM »
One less bubble team to compete with? After the last week, MU is nowhere near the bubble.

It's bad. It's looking more and more like the BE is a three bid league. Gotta hope PC or SJU get hot.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 12:09:50 AM »
One less bubble team to compete with? After the last week, MU is nowhere near the bubble.

It's bad. It's looking more and more like the BE is a three bid league. Gotta hope PC or SJU get hot.

True

But will still have the opportunity/hope of playing our way in.  If we do (big if) Georgetown is no longer in our way.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 12:11:03 AM »
Bad, bad, bad. Very bad, in fact.

We stopped competing for a spot two games ago.

I was hoping that Gtown could knock-off CU for us.  I also think this may kill their tourney hopes, which is bad for the conference in terms of prestige, exposure, and tourney credits.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 12:12:32 AM »
1.  Nice to see DePaul pull off a good victory
2.  This proves anyone in the NBE can beat anyone
3.  Would be very happy to see them beat Douggie McBuckets next.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 12:14:35 AM »
But will still have the opportunity/hope of playing our way in.  If we do (big if) Georgetown is no longer in our way.

For an at-large? No way in hell.

For the auto bid, I'd much rather have Georgetown "in our way" than Creighton.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 12:20:47 AM »
Jerry Palm put the nail in Gtown's coffin.

Sucks for the Hoyas.

#MoreSadScott
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 12:22:55 AM »
No at large....period.

MU is in with a BET title...only.

Only thing tonight did was make it more likely Big East gets 3 bids unless PC or SJU somehow win the tournament, though SJU might just need to make the final.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 12:27:45 AM »
Hate to keep going back to it but the OSU and Bucky will not make the tournament should have been enough to prove you don't know a thing about the bubble.

But thinking we are still even near it takes the cake.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 01:57:38 AM »
GTWN losing can only be bad for the conference
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 05:42:07 AM »
Thoughts?  Do you live under a rock? 

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400544170

DePaul 60
GU      56

(note: this is Oliver Purnell's first BE tourney win)

Does this mean the hoyas will not be dancing?

If this kills off Georgetown, is this good for us (one less BE bubble team to compete with) or bad for us (makes the conference look bad).

Thoughts?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 06:10:08 AM »
This means we have to go through Creighton.  That team must give Buzz nightmares.

Spose, if we do beat x and Cu, that would be a ton of momentum, but I'm not counting on it.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 06:28:37 AM »
In the short run this is not a positive for the visibility of the BET with some of the lazier media who will keep focusing on what the Big East was versus what it is. In the longer term it is a positive for the conference to have a stronger DePaul team .  As to the tourney I think Georgetown was like MU, only going if they win the BET. 

Rudy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »
Bad, bad, bad. Very bad, in fact.

We stopped competing for a spot two games ago.

I was hoping that Gtown could knock-off CU for us.  I also think this may kill their tourney hopes, which is bad for the conference in terms of prestige, exposure, and tourney credits.

This was my thought too. We get thumped by Creighton once and beaten at home pretty well too...but Georgetown has beaten them. I don't think Depaul can do this for us...but who knows...maybe we do it for ourselves.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 07:18:23 AM »
DePaul seems to be playing better. Georgetown had a much better chance to beat Creighton, but Creighton might overlook DePaul. DePaul has a conference tournament game under their belt and has nothing to lose. Creighton might be over excited to play in first Big East tournament. If Creighton has a subpar three point shooting game they could be vunerable to anyone. Creighton would win this game 9 out of 10 times, but this might be the one game they do not. Big East still might be a two bid league. MU beating Xavier would make Xavier a questionable team. St. John's beating Providence makes Providence questionable. Villanova beating St. John's (on St. John's home court) probably elimates St. John's. Although it probably more likey that three teams are picked. Xavier and Providence win today than there are 4 teams.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 07:26:53 AM »
while trying to be realistic, the homer part of me always seems to float to the top.  review jimmy v-nc state 1983.  saw a 30-30 on that season and if your eyes don't water a little... jimmy v kept telling his players that they will win the ncaa championship so much they even practiced by cutting the nets down.   if buzz could give the motivational speech of his life?  believe in him, the system?  i don't know as i haven't been at their practices, meetings, huddles, etc.  was the jimmy v 1983 season a magical season?  big al's 1977 warriors were in a very similar situation.  depaul is feeling it right now.   it's just fun to dream and have some hope, but not so much as to get so angry if we don't go very far.  i am as guilty as anyone for having pretty high expectations this year  but, had to stop and realize that we may not be as good as advertized.  yet, there is nothing wrong with getting all geeked up and being a fan.  we are just going to have to get the best play of the year out of everyone including buzz for the next three games.  otherwise, i still believe we have a lot to look forward to  
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 07:33:15 AM »
DePaul seems to be playing better. Georgetown had a much better chance to beat Creighton, but Creighton might overlook DePaul. DePaul has a conference tournament game under their belt and has nothing to lose. Creighton might be over excited to play in first Big East tournament. If Creighton has a subpar three point shooting game they could be vunerable to anyone. Creighton would win this game 9 out of 10 times, but this might be the one game they do not. Big East still might be a two bid league. MU beating Xavier would make Xavier a questionable team. St. John's beating Providence makes Providence questionable. Villanova beating St. John's (on St. John's home court) probably elimates St. John's. Although it probably more likey that three teams are picked. Xavier and Providence win today than there are 4 teams.

DePaul is better than their record.  No, they're not that good, but they are better than their record. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 07:37:25 AM »
Xavier, Creighton, Nova...do you believe in miracles?

WadeJFB

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 07:37:32 AM »
DePaul is better than their record.  No, they're not that good, but they are better than their record. 

Is Oliver Purnell on the hot seat yet?

WadeJFB

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 07:40:22 AM »

I do. But man, this is tough.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 07:42:54 AM »
Jerry Palm put the nail in Gtown's coffin.

Sucks for the Hoyas.

#MoreSadScott

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 07:45:58 AM »

I think it'll end up being Xavier, Creighton, and St Johns....and in this case, no I do not.  I think MU wins tonight but can't get past Creighton.  I will say this though, I think DePaul will give Creighton a run tonight, CU wins but still.  There seems to be something about a lower seed team playing on their second night versus the higher seed playing their first game....like the lower seed is warmed up more or something.

Also Georgetown is way out...won't even be considered.  Unfortunately, unless STJ makes a run to the finals this is going to be a 3 bid conference with the possibility if MU wins tonight that X might be on the outside looking in.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 08:38:35 AM »
Speaking of DePaul, anybody see that Gordon Tech is changing their name to DePaul College Prep? I think it's a good move!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 09:10:39 AM »

Trap game?  No such thing as a trap game!!  Where's my pal Robbie River Rat?

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 09:12:22 AM »
This means we have to go through Creighton.  That team must give Buzz nightmares.

Spose, if we do beat x and Cu, that would be a ton of momentum, but I'm not counting on it.
Regardless of what happened last night, it was still highly likely that we would have to go through Creighton. I like how all of sudden we're doomed now since the percentage of playing Creighton increased from like 80% to 90%. If we should be so lucky to get to Friday, we can discuss what we need to do to get by Creighton. Yes, it's not an ideal match-up, but we hung tought with them at home, despite the Blue Jays shooting lights out--the last 8 minutes did us in, but I don't expect Creighton to go on a run like that again, and I expect us to play much better at the Garden. First things first, beat a tough X team.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
1.  Nice to see DePaul pull off a good victory
2.  This proves anyone in the NBE can beat anyone
3.  Would be very happy to see them beat Douggie McBuckets next.

The number 10 team beating the number 7 team proves that "anyone in the NBE can beat anyone", sorry but I gotta disagree with that one.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 09:38:29 AM »
In the short run this is not a positive for the visibility of the BET with some of the lazier media who will keep focusing on what the Big East was versus what it is. In the longer term it is a positive for the conference to have a stronger DePaul team .  As to the tourney I think Georgetown was like MU, only going if they win the BET. 

Until "what it is" gets better, the Big East will be known for "what it was". This is not good G-town is out.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
Until "what it is" gets better, the Big East will be known for "what it was". This is not good G-town is out.

It's one year. Trust me, people won't remember what happened in the first year of the revamped Big East next year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 09:47:52 AM »
No at large....period.

MU is in with a BET title...only.

Only thing tonight did was make it more likely Big East gets 3 bids unless PC or SJU somehow win the tournament, though SJU might just need to make the final.

The winner of today's PC vs. SJU game is in.  Not surprised you feel otherwise though.  4 bids is looking likely unless MU (or SH or DP, not gonna happen) win the tourney. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 10:04:41 AM »
Yep, we'll just have to beat Creighton ourselves ... if, of course, we can beat Xavier first!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »
The number 10 team beating the number 7 team proves that "anyone in the NBE can beat anyone", sorry but I gotta disagree with that one.

but, but, didn't that just happen last night?  or the part that anyone can beat anyone?  i think that was just proven last night though.  also, villanova, probably the best team in the be, lost to creighton twice, including getting waxed on their own floor.  st johnnie"s is a sleeper, especially in their yard
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 10:27:44 AM »
but, but, didn't that just happen last night?  or the part that anyone can beat anyone?  i think that was just proven last night though.  also, villanova, probably the best team in the be, lost to creighton twice, including getting waxed on their own floor.  st johnnie"s is a sleeper, especially in their yard

Say what?

Villanova and Creighton are together as the number one and two teams up apart from all the other teams.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 12:02:44 PM »
Not only is it bad for the conference, it puts another team with a better RPI than ours in the NIT.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:07:44 PM by Heavy Gear »
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »
Georgetown is OUT baby
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset