[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton Officiating  (Read 17309 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Creighton Officiating
« on: February 19, 2014, 11:05:59 PM »
Just got back from the game. 

So many fouls were off the ball that I did not see them.  The scoreboard rarely shows replays.

I know a total of 52 fouls were called.

My question, was it "tightly called" or was it "poorly called."

Tightly means they were borderline fouls but still fouls.

Poorly means they were calling fouls where none was committed..

River rat

• Team Captain
Re: Creighton Officiating
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:16:30 PM »
I thught it was poorly called against MU,  if mu breathed on creighton it was a foil.  Meanwhile in yhe first half especially devante was hacked 3-4 times, jamil at least twice and jake a few times n no whistle.  And who were those clowns? Did not recognize them, guy with the buzz cut was brutal against mu

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 11:19:24 PM »
Poorly called. Very inconsistent. It seemed like one team would have 4 or 5 more, then the refs would even it up the other way. No one on either team knew what a foul was in the second half. That's bad.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:19:50 PM »
I thught it was poorly called against MU,  if mu breathed on creighton it was a foil.  Meanwhile in yhe first half especially devante was hacked 3-4 times, jamil at least twice and jake a few times n no whistle.  And who were those clowns? Did not recognize them, guy with the buzz cut was brutal against mu

It was just an inconsistently called game.  At some points people were getting hacked underneath and nothing was being called. Then in the second half the refs decided to "clean it up" and ended up going too far--tilting things in favor of Creighton and hence the nonstop booing from the BC crowd.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:27:26 PM »
Never heard that level of boo for that long of a period before.

crapty both ways. Several fouls called on jump shots MU took were not fouls.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 11:32:28 PM »
Never heard that level of boo for that long of a period before.

crapty both ways. Several fouls called on jump shots MU took were not fouls.

We were booing because when Creighton was bringing the ball up the court you knew they would just call a foul for something 30 feet from the ball.  It wasn't basketball and it was frustrating to watch.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 11:34:15 PM »
We did not lose because of the officiating. Blaming the officials is a losing proposition. The calls are the calls and we just have to play through them.  The officials did not cause the numerous uncontested layups that Creighton made. Our lousy defense did.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 11:35:33 PM »
Poorly called. Very inconsistent. It seemed like one team would have 4 or 5 more, then the refs would even it up the other way. No one on either team knew what a foul was in the second half. That's bad.

This.  Seemed like there were a record number of ghost calls and make-ups .. both ways.  Bad crew.  

Didn't change the outcome of the game, Creighton would have beaten us like a drum with good refs.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 11:56:52 PM »
Too Macy
This.  Seemed like there were a record number of ghost calls and make-ups .. both ways.  Bad crew. 

Didn't change the outcome of the game, Creighton would have beaten us like a drum with good refs.

Turds, but this.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 12:10:21 AM »
This.  Seemed like there were a record number of ghost calls and make-ups .. both ways.  Bad crew.  

Disagree.  Did not even let the kids compete.  Don't know what kind of game it would have been if the refs let them play a basketball game.  Fine.  Creighton wins a shooting contest every time.  Whoop-dee-doo.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 12:17:53 AM »
Disagree.  Did not even let the kids compete.  Don't know what kind of game it would have been if the refs let them play a basketball game.  Fine.  Creighton wins a shooting contest every time.  Whoop-dee-doo.

It would have been the same game. They would have murdered us from 3 point range in either scenario. Creighton beats MU 9 out of 10 times.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 12:24:43 AM »
Let's face it, the New Big East got the dregs of the NCAA officiating ranks... let's hope it gets addressed for next season. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 12:42:54 AM »
Bad officiating, but I'd argue the 15+ missed free throws need to be addressed before we discuss tonight's calls............
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 01:48:17 AM »
Do you think the Creighton fans on their board are saying MU fans are whining about the officiating like we blamed them of possibly doing the other day?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 06:07:19 AM »
Do you think the Creighton fans on their board are saying MU fans are whining about the officiating like we blamed them of possibly doing the other day?

Maybe, but pretty much every person has said they would have beaten us either way, so what's your point?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 06:17:57 AM »

I have to admit that I thought the exact same thing as I read through these comments. We were poking fun at Creighton fans for whining in advance and now we deserve a little fun poked at us for whining in the aftermath.

It's not easy to make an objective case that we were jobbed when far more fouls were called on Creighton, we shot far more free throws, our PG went 2-for-7 from the line and our supposed offensive catalyst went 3-for-7.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 06:24:27 AM »
Very poorly officiated. Sucked the life right out of the game. I complained about as many fouls against Creighton that simply didn't need to be called, as i did against marquette. Just makes for a bad, boring basketball game. Two coaches box warnings? C'mon.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 06:30:03 AM »
Not the reason we lost, but unbelievably poor officiating. Just awful, in the second half especially.

I came away with two distinct thoughts after the game:

(1) Creighton is a much better team than us.

(2) That was the worst officiating job I have seen in a long time.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 06:44:03 AM »

Creighton' coach got a warning for complaining about the officiating so he wasn't happy either.

I'm not saying the officials lost the game for us, they did not.  I'm saying the 52 fouls called made it a bad product to watch.  And I would guess if you asked Creighton fans was the officiating bad and did that make it less enjoyable they would agree.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 07:43:34 AM »
The officiating was the worst I've seen at an MU game all year.

Creighton is still better than us by a long shot, but a game with a lot of fouls called easily favors the better shooting team... which we haven't been in years.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 08:19:25 AM »
Maybe, but pretty much every person has said they would have beaten us either way, so what's your point?

I guess I find it interesting that we start a thread before a game even is played that Creighton fans are whining about the officiating leading to their defeat.  Then the actual game is played and we have a lot of our fans doing the exact same thing.  I know the original thread was just a tease, don't get me wrong.

I just hate the blame the officiating stuff, even when caveated with "they were the better team and would have won anyway".   How about simply, they were the better team.  It was a home game, everyone knew how important it was to us, fans in full throat, and they came in and beat us and other than a very short burst, they did it to us rather emphatically all game long.  Takes the refs out of it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 08:23:23 AM »
I guess I find it interesting that we start a thread before a game even is played that Creighton fans are whining about the officiating leading to their defeat.  Then the actual game is played and we have a lot of our fans doing the exact same thing.  I know the original thread was just a tease, don't get me wrong.

I just hate the blame the officiating stuff, even when caveated with "they were the better team and would have won anyway".   How about simply, they were the better team.  It was a home game, everyone knew how important it was to us, fans in full throat, and they came in and beat us and other than a very short burst, they did it to us rather emphatically all game long.  Takes the refs out of it.

Because officiating affects games.  Its just that simple.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 08:24:47 AM »

I started this thread and was not trying to use it as an excuse for the loss.  

As I noted before the crowd booed most of the second half.  That was the officiating.  They made the game unwatchable ... unwatchable for the neutral fan and frustrating for the MU fan.  I'm sure the Creighton fan tolerated it because they were winning.  But that's what they did ... tolerated it.

15,600 fans wanted a basketball game.  Many thousands more watching TV wanted a basketball game.  Instead three refs blow a whistle every 12 seconds (which was exactly the pace to start the second half) ruined it for everyone.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 08:27:54 AM »

Did you actually read people's comments (in either thread really)? It was a poorly officiated game that made it a pretty low quality product. What's wrong with pointing that out?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 08:31:28 AM »

Get over it. It was in good fun. Jeez.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

feedback