[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz on the Florida game with Homer and Mac  (Read 4481 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Buzz on the Florida game with Homer and Mac
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:25:47 PM »
Worst loss in 179 college games for Buzz

Lowest number of FTs since he got to MU (4)

Florida is 126 and 9 at him in non-conference under Donovan.  Better than Bo Ryan at the Kohl Center

Vander was the only one that showed up

Told team in a calm voice in a calm voice that they did not respond.

12 assists and 14 TOs, that is awful.

While MU played poorly, part of it was Florida is that good.  Could win the NC

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Buzz on the Florida game with Homer and Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:29:14 PM »
Does 179 games equal modern history?  :o

Just having fun with you. ;D

Bottom line, tough night.  Let's see how buzz and co. respond.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:35:38 PM »
Does 179 games equal modern history?  :o

Just having fun with you. ;D

Bottom line, tough night.  Let's see how buzz and co. respond.

179 games was for Buzz and includes his time at New Orleans

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 10:37:27 PM »
Chalk it up to just a BAD night. Go back to Milwaukee and learn what you can from this.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:11:16 AM »
The weird thing is, at least in the first half, I thought we played pretty good defense.  They made a lot of tough shots.  In the second half we were just awful in all facets, and particularly our defense/defensive rebounding was abominal.

Florida basically matches our quickness and exceeds us in basketball talent.  We're a work in progress and they are firing on all cylinders.  We don't have a slow the game down and try to grind one out in our bag of tricks.  Put the game on the road and give them some hot shooters and you get what happened last night. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:01:50 AM »
This game IMO also exposed Buzz's continued weakness as a coach.  Lack of in-game adjustments are a problem.  Coming out of both halves with shot-clock violations are a problem.

He's still growing and I love the guy.  But I think he knows more than anyone that Donovan ran circles around him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Buzz is better at in-game adjustments than Crean was while at MU.    I did not realize that the Gators were better at home than the Badgers.    Just a crappy night. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 08:21:35 AM »
Buzz is better at in-game adjustments than Crean was while at MU.   

Whatever...wasn't making a comparison.  Just stating a continued problem.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 08:37:01 AM »
This game IMO also exposed Buzz's continued weakness as a coach.  Lack of in-game adjustments are a problem.  Coming out of both halves with shot-clock violations are a problem.

He's still growing and I love the guy.  But I think he knows more than anyone that Donovan ran circles around him.

Yeah I pretty much stopped watching after I saw the first few possessions in the second half.  Clearly we were not gonig to respond. 

Buzz needs to turn this into a positive.  Character revealed on 12/8.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 08:38:54 AM »
Florida is a great team and quite frankly pretty fun to watch.  They play our style of basketball except and last night executed it better.  We still should have beat them last year if it wasn't for Brad Beal going off.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 08:40:18 AM »

Coaching wasn't the issue in my eyes, it was the motor of the guys on the court. Blue genuinely looked like the only one willing to rise to the occassion. Some were worried about Jake not taking shots... I was more worried about the lack of want and the desire to go at.contact by guys like Jamil. The latter seemed r fine with deferring to.others rather than trying to create a shot or opportunity by driving when the zone sagged off of him. Frustrating night. Now is the time the coaching needs to go a long way.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 08:56:52 AM »
Buzz is better at in-game adjustments than Crean was while at MU.    I did not realize that the Gators were better at home than the Badgers.    Just a crappy night. 
When a team loses this badly when nothing works, especially early in the season, it is a sign this team was not prepared. At this point in the season, Buzz focuses on getting his system and roles down. MU kept trying to run its offensive system that clearly wasn't working against the zone, forcing things that weren't there.  Meanwhile, Florida prepared for Marquette and its match ups. Buzz had no counters.  Really disappointed in the effort all the way around, from an experienced team and staff...but that has always been what Buzz does this time of season.

That said, this is a close team, the staff is new but hard working, this was the first away game not neutral court, and our players are not that bad.  Missing a shooter-scorer hurts badly.  But every season a team plays 2-3 games where they cannot be beaten...and 2-3 where they stink out the joint.  Let's see what is in between.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »

Hard to disagree.  The one thing Buzz has done is to allow the players to figure things out for themselves.  That did not work out so well this week against FL or UMBC. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 09:32:12 AM »

The lack of consistency against the zone is a little troubling.

MU wants to penetrate, get the defense moving, and shoot a lay-up, kick the ball out, or get fouled.  

A lot of MU's offense is based upon dibbling, but crisp passing, player spacing, and cuts defeat a zone... not dribble drives and off balance shots. Jamil had a ton of those. Makeable? Yes. Good shots? Eh, probably not.

I think we talked about this over the summer. Lot of upside to this team, but when they are backed into a corner, who is going to bail them out? No more DJO and Jae to simply force the action. The guys are going to have to work together. It's a learning curve for all of them.

I think this team will be significantly better in March than they are now.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 09:39:23 AM »

Maybe coaching, maybe the talent level is just not there. Jamil Wilson awol again not Buzz's fault. Other than Vander, who even wanted the ball in that game????

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 09:55:08 AM »

I'm not entirely convinced this is true. Last year he made some pretty good adjustments after getting down big early

1) Down 18-4 to Louisville, come back to win 74-63
2) Down 10 @Villanova at the half, come back to win 82-78
3) Down 16-4 to Cincinnati, come back to win 95-78
4) Down 11 @West Virgina at the half, come back to win 61-60 (yes, I realize this isn't the best example)

There are obviously many examples of blowing a lead/failing to make adjustments while losing at the half, but I think it just happens over the course of the season.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
I'm not entirely convinced this is true. Last year he made some pretty good adjustments after getting down big early

4) Down 11 @West Virgina at the half, come back to win 61-60 (yes, I realize this isn't the best example)

There are obviously many examples of blowing a lead/failing to make adjustments while losing at the half, but I think it just happens over the course of the season.

I didn't say that he never made good in-game decisions, but I thought yesterday he was out coached...as well as the players being out played.  Blackheart pointed out the lack of any offensive game plan against the zone as an example.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »

I didn't say that he never made good in-game decisions, but I thought yesterday he was out coached...as well as the players being out played.  Blackheart pointed out the lack of any offensive game plan against the zone as an example.

If you would have said Donovan out coached Buzz last night I would agree, but to say that lack of in game adjustments is a "continued weakness" for for the guy who "adjusted" his way to more double digits comeback wins than anyone else in D1 last year is silly.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »
last night had little to do with coaching and everything to do with talent and ability. they had better players who played better. granted, our effort and focus seemed to be lacking at times, but i dont know how you coach your way out of something like that.

UW got blown out in similar fashion there last week, UK got blown out at ND last night, UNC got blown out at IU, Mich St lost at Miami by 15... these sorts of things happen early in the year, even to good coaches/teams.

the question is, how they respond with 3 tough non-con games left and headed into BEAST play?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 11:12:16 AM »
If you would have said Donovan out coached Buzz last night I would agree, but to say that lack of in game adjustments is a "continued weakness" for for the guy who "adjusted" his way to more double digits comeback wins than anyone else in D1 last year is silly.

No...it isn't silly.  It has happened before.  Just because he has adjusted in some doesn't mean it isn't a weakness.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »
last night had little to do with coaching and everything to do with talent and ability. they had better players who played better. granted, our effort and focus seemed to be lacking at times, but i dont know how you coach your way out of something like that.

UW got blown out in similar fashion there last week, UK got blown out at ND last night, UNC got blown out at IU, Mich St lost at Miami by 15... these sorts of things happen early in the year, even to good coaches/teams.

the question is, how they respond with 3 tough non-con games left and headed into BEAST play?

Completely agree here.  So little to do with in-game coaching/game film study.  This has more to do with talent level and MOST to do with an established team.  FL has returning stars and leaders.  We are still figuring it all out.  I think our talent level is comparable but our team has a serious lack of roles.  Now, some of that has to do with coaching because the coaches establish roles but I think roles work themselves out during the season as well.  
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »
Completely agree here.  So little to do with in-game coaching/game film study.  This has more to do with talent level and MOST to do with an established team.  FL has returning stars and leaders.  We are still figuring it all out.  I think our talent level is comparable but our team has a serious lack of roles.  Now, some of that has to do with coaching because the coaches establish roles but I think roles work themselves out during the season as well.  
Our talent level is not comparable.  Vander is the only guy on our current roster that MIGHT get minutes on Florida's team.  Nobody else.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 01:18:23 PM »
Our talent level is not comparable.  Vander is the only guy on our current roster that MIGHT get minutes on Florida's team.  Nobody else.

It is.  You might have thought that from looking at last night's game.  And if you were watching last night's game with no names or colors, you would have thought ND outclassed UK but I would bet you any amount of money that UK is going to the sweet sixteen this year and will look drastically different in March than they do now.

Are we UK as far as talent goes?  Heck no.  Are we UK as far as still understanding who fits where?  Absolutely.  I have faith Buzz will get this team established with the proper roles and we will field a team that look much better in March than it does now.  Will it be in time to make some noise in March... not sure yet.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »
It is.  You might have thought that from looking at last night's game.  And if you were watching last night's game with no names or colors, you would have thought ND outclassed UK but I would bet you any amount of money that UK is going to the sweet sixteen this year and will look drastically different in March than they do now.

Are we UK as far as talent goes?  Heck no.  Are we UK as far as still understanding who fits where?  Absolutely.  I have faith Buzz will get this team established with the proper roles and we will field a team that look much better in March than it does now.  Will it be in time to make some noise in March... not sure yet.
The talent on our team is absolutely not at the same level as Florida.  Sadly, not even close.  We were outclassed at every position. 

Will our guys continue to get better as the season progresses and figure out their roles and gel as a team?  I think yes.  That's a different subject though. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »

At the 10 minute mark of the first half, I started waiting for that switch to flip, where they started playing harder, started getting someone to the foul line against the zone, started making defensive stops.   It never came.    Last year's house is no more.     Building a new house this year.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.