[Today at 09:01:57 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Darius Paul (Brandon Paul's "Little" Brother) Is A MU 2012 Target  (Read 3071 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-0204-prep-bkb-spotlight-20110203,0,4556393.story

(Young, I'm in Chicago and read this in the Trib just now.  I also see its on the premium site too.  Does that make me a thief for posting here?)

Darius Paul rises above comparisons to brother, Illinois guard Brandon Paul

round every corner of the hallways of Warren and the gyms of the North suburbs, someone wants to talk to Darius Paul about his brother Brandon, the former Warren star now playing for the University of Illinois.

Wherever he goes, Darius is the little brother of Illinois' 2009 Mr. Basketball award winner, making the comparisons inevitable and the expectations obvious even when they go unspoken.

Darius Paul does not complain or lash out behind closed doors — not even occasionally. He admits it is tough on him at times, but does so with one-word answers that leave even his mother guessing.

"I really can't articulate what he could be going through," Lynda Paul said. "He sees his brother, and he does enjoy watching his games, but I'm still not sure what is going on inside his head. I don't know how he's feeling. He doesn't talk that much for a 16-year-old."

Chicago Shopping Overwhelming Offers: Always 50% off or more from your favorite brands >>

If Darius' body — and game — keep growing at the rate they have been recently, the issue will be moot.

Already several inches taller than Brandon, Darius measured in at 6-foot-6 in November and is now just a shade under 6-8, Lynda Paul reports.

And while Brandon is looking for his niche as either a shooting, point or combo guard, Darius has developed the kind of diverse skill set that could serve him well at either forward spot on the next level.

"I just think of him as more of a basketball player," Warren coach Chuck Ramsey said. "He can do a variety of things. Right now, he is at his best when he is inside rebounding. He is so long, and he's deceptively strong, stronger than you'd think at first appearance when you see a long kid.

"He has strong hands and wrists, and that helps him rebound and finish around the basket. He can also step out and shoot, and he's a good passer. He has good passing instincts. He has 58 assists and 34 turnovers, which is a good ratio. He has made real progress this season, and I think his best basketball is ahead of him."

The junior is the leading scorer (11.3 points per game) and rebounder (6.0) on an 18-3 team that is ranked No. 8 in Chicagoland by the Tribune.

In addition to his obvious physical gifts, Lynda Paul raves about his basketball IQ, and though she's clearly biased, she's no ordinary hoops mom.

As was the case with Brandon, Lynda Paul coached Darius and most of his Warren teammates for years on the Illinois HoopStars AAU program she used to run.

"I think his body is coming together," Lynda Paul said. "Prior to the season, he was just a little awkward growing into his body. Mentally, I'm not sure he knew how to handle the attention, but I think he is maturing."

Lynda Paul said colleges are waiting for more performances like the one Darius had last Saturday, when he had 19 points, 12 rebounds, three assists and two blocks in a 74-54 victory over Mundelein (21-4).

Marquette, Northwestern, Iowa and Nebraska have shown the most interest. None has offered yet, but the kid of few words acknowledged that his recent success has eased the burden of being Mr. Basketball's younger brother.

Said Darius: "It is easier to deal with, with the team doing better than when he was at Warren."

Darius Paul file

School: Warren.

Class: Junior.

Height: 6-7 1/2.

Position: F.

Stats: 11.3 points, 6 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 1.2 blocks per game.

College: Marquette, Iowa, Northwestern and Nebraska have shown the most interest. None has offered.

FYI: He's not the only promising Warren junior with a decorated older sibling. Longtime friend and teammate Nathan Boothe is the younger brother of former Warren star Sarah Boothe, who was Illinois Ms. Basketball in 2008 and is playing for Stanford.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:43:49 AM by AnotherMU84 »

SaveOD238

• All American
Re: Darius Paul (Brandon Paul's "Little" Brother) Is A MU 2012 Target
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 12:46:51 PM »
I went to Warren, and I saw him play in a game over winter break.  The kid can play.  I would definitely love to see him trade in Warren's royal and yellow for MU's navy and gold!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 07:07:23 AM »
Just bumping this thread.  We're still showing strong interest in Paul:

http://www.pjstar.com/bradleyhoops/x2111989726/Reynolds-Recruiting-news-from-the-Hilltop

Another is 6-8 Darius Paul, a senior-to-be at Gurnee Warren and the younger brother of Illinois guard Brandon Paul. Darius Paul is paying an unofficial visit to Bradley on Friday. He has gotten strong interest from Marquette, Northwestern, Iowa, Nebraska and Ball State.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 08:16:23 AM »
How can he be an MU target, if we have not offered him? Title should say we are showing interest in.