collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Credit Card  (Read 3092 times)

Zar Zar Binks

• Walk-On
MU Credit Card
« on: January 11, 2011, 11:41:39 AM »
I received an application for the MU Bank of America Credit Card and was considering applying. If anyone out there has one would you be kind enough to offer up your opinion? I know all the specifics of the card so you don't need to go into that. I was basically looking for review of sorts. Also, you wouldn't know how it specifically "supports Marquette University" would you? Thanks in advance for all the info

KipsBayEagle

Re: MU Credit Card
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »
have not heard of this at all, would be interested though

Zar Zar Binks

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »
Yeah here's a link from the MU website filed under "General Alumni Discounts"

http://www.marquette.edu/alumni/about-ben1.php

Obviously I was intrigued too but wanted to hear some feedback

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »
they could have made that card look a lot cooler

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:50:55 PM »
Affinity credit cards generally pay a percentage of total sales back to the University plus bonuses for new accounts.  Generally around 0.5% plus $75 for a new account...something like that.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »
I have an MU card through BoA.  good interest rate, big monogram on the front.  the few times we've had an issue (late by a day, disputing champagne room charges in Windsor) they've been good about it.

don't know what the school gets out of it.

I like using it in Madison...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
I received an application for the MU Bank of America Credit Card and was considering applying. If anyone out there has one would you be kind enough to offer up your opinion? I know all the specifics of the card so you don't need to go into that. I was basically looking for review of sorts. Also, you wouldn't know how it specifically "supports Marquette University" would you? Thanks in advance for all the info

I've had one for almost nine years now. Not much difference than any other credit card, though it isn't my primary card so I haven't really had a chance to use any concierge or have customer service issues resolved. I have it mostly set for recurring monthly charges but every now and then its cool to bring it out at the store and have a conversation about MU.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »
"According to the terms of the agreement, Marquette earns $1 for every credit card account opened as a result of mailings Bank of America sends out to alumni, provided the account is actually used and remains open for at least 90 days.
The university also earns $1 when the card’s annual fee is paid, as well as half a percent of the purchases made on the card."

http://marquettetribune.org/2010/09/21/carousel/credit-cards-knh1-kw2-dac3/

The article is from last year but its interesting nonetheless.

Zar Zar Binks

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 04:02:46 PM »
Wow, that article answered all of my questions. What a great find, thanks Pux90Mex! Also thanks for the info Golden Avalance I probably would use it in exactly the same manner (i.e. fixed monthly charges, a good conversation starter/way to show my MU pride). Thanks again!

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 04:35:47 PM »
Wow, that article answered all of my questions. What a great find, thanks Pux90Mex! Also thanks for the info Golden Avalance I probably would use it in exactly the same manner (i.e. fixed monthly charges, a good conversation starter/way to show my MU pride). Thanks again!

Glad I could be of assistance

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 05:22:24 PM »
We don't have an annual fee on our card.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 09:44:30 PM »
Its an okay card -- it was my emergency card when i was younger, and one time the bill was paid slightly late and they had a big fit over it, but I suppose if you pay on time there shouldn't be a problem. Frankly, though, I'm not a fan of points rewards systems, i'd much rather have the cold hard $$$.

OTOH, love to flash around the MU logo any chance i get :)

feedback