collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Basketball game  (Read 8855 times)

muphan

• Walk-On
Scoop Basketball game
« on: January 05, 2011, 11:23:37 AM »
I think that it would be fun for scoopers all around the country to organize a local pick up game/games. This would be a good way to see who is all talk and who actually has it. Also a fun way to meet alum and connect with other marquette fans. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Scoop Basketball game
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:32:34 AM »
I think that it would be fun for scoopers all around the country to organize a local pick up game/games. This would be a good way to see who is all talk and who actually has it. Also a fun way to meet alum and connect with other marquette fans. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Not sure this could gain much traction.  The site's most prolific poster is a tiny, tiny fella. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:43:25 AM »

I'll take all you young punks on.  I still play three days a week.  (And can hardly walk the other four.)

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:55:23 AM »
time and place

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:59:23 AM »
You really weren't supposed to call me out on that you know....   ;D

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »
I'm a 6', slow, fat, traditional player that likes to hoist 3s, cherry pick, and plays bad defense.

I'll be a captain.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »
time and place

Did you type slow on that post.  How can it show up on the board, but yet you still have 0 posts?

Personally, I play best when I have great help defense (meaning I can play great defense on the first step or two, but I need help after that) and the guy defending me is helping out guarding my teammates, leaving me wide open for the three.  With those limitations in addition to my current lung capacity...I'll stick to being the designated towel waver to rev up the huge crowds that will undoubtedly show up to watch these games.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 12:21:39 PM »
I do a really solid Buzz impression with a buzzed head and a powder blue sports coat when coaching a friend's team.

I call coach.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 12:29:52 PM »
Did you type slow on that post.  How can it show up on the board, but yet you still have 0 posts?

superbar posts don't count.  It's the ChicosBailBonds clause.   ;D

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »
I'm a 6', slow, fat, traditional player that likes to hoist 3s, cherry pick, and plays bad defense.

I'll be a captain.

I'm a 6'1", slow, gettting fat, traditional player that likes to hoist 3s, cherry pick, and plays bad defense.

I'll be the other captain, but I'll give you 1st pick based on my height advantage.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 12:42:12 PM »
I choose chren21.  You can still run right?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 12:44:53 PM »
The arthroscopic knee surgery I have coming up (apparently there IS an age when you should stop playing football with 9 year olds in the yard) says I will see you next year.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 12:44:59 PM »
I would f*ck all you all up.

You can not beat me.  2nd place Padre Sierra...beat Quemont Greer's team.  

I don't hold back for old men or kids either.   I'm talking elbows running back if some oldie starts making a few sky hooks.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 12:50:05 PM »
Teams should be lead by Chicos and Ners.

Ners dressed as Buzz...Chicos dressed as Crean.

Losing team has to post 1 nice thing about the other coach per day in the Superbar.

Whens the draft!?
The "average fan" is an idiot.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 12:52:27 PM »
I'll fit everyone for mouthguards. Heaven knows y'all are goin' ta need it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »
The arthroscopic knee surgery I have coming up (apparently there IS an age when you should stop playing football with 9 year olds in the yard) says I will see you next year.   

We'll make sure you get your medical redshirt.  You won't lose any eligibility.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »
I'll sit in the stands and criticize everything everyone else does.  Then I'll come on MUScoop and complain about everything -- no matter how the game turns out.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 01:32:24 PM »

Losing team has to post 1 nice thing about the other coach per day in the Superbar.

Whens the draft!?

IN - great idea...so long as the nice thing I have to post each day pertains to the Real Tom Crean - and not Chicos.   ;D  I'd also like to be a player/coach so I could insert myself into the game as needed to ensure that my team wins, and thus Chicos will have to post nice things about Buzz daily.  Wait, he does this already, but for whatever reason I construe them as being largely insincere.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

chren21

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 01:42:55 PM »
I choose chren21.  You can still run right?

Getting old....  But gracefully

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »
I'll fit everyone for mouthguards. Heaven knows y'all are goin' ta need it.

So you're a dentist, eh?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »
Nobody here could hold my jock strap
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »
dentists are crazy man.   like a post man but with biatches. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 02:06:49 PM »
dentists are crazy man.   like a post man but with biatches. 

Next thing you know you're saying they should have their own schools.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »

Whens the draft!?

During the Vietnam War soldiers would toss a grenade in their commanders sleeping quarters if they thought he wasn't fit to lead.

Just saying.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 02:19:17 PM »
So you're a dentist, eh?

no, BDSM supplier.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 02:24:38 PM »
no, BDSM supplier.

Oh, so he just uses the teeth marks off your old ball gags to form up mouth guards?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 03:16:49 PM »
So you're a dentist, eh?

Who wants to know? I don't know nothin', heard nothin', see nothin'.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »
A scoop summer time game in the AL would be ideal

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »
Who wants to know? I don't know nothin', heard nothin', see nothin'.

Got any toothpaste recommendations?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 04:40:09 PM »

4never is paid to be the 4th in 3 out of 4 dentists....

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »

Toothpaste is like deodorant. Let's you smell good for a while. But, if you stink, you stink.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 10:59:02 PM »
I would f*ck all you all up.

You can not beat me.  2nd place Padre Sierra...beat Quemont Greer's team.  

I don't hold back for old men or kids either.   I'm talking elbows running back if some oldie starts making a few sky hooks.

You got yourself a challenge... member of a 3rd Place Padre Sierra team... Still play regularly, also workout regularly... bring it on!

And you lied somewhere in your post... Quement Greer's team won it all in 1997, and he was the tournament MVP...

Unless you were talking about 1996, when Greer was a 7th grader playing in an 8th grade league... then you would have played for St. John Vianney  ... and if that is correct, I am bred to hate you, as you guys were our rival 7-8th grade... Im a few years younger than you, and they were the only team that gave us any bit of trouble in our league schedule.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:04:23 PM by Mayor McCheese »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 11:11:03 PM »
You got yourself a challenge... member of a 3rd Place Padre Sierra team... Still play regularly, also workout regularly... bring it on!

And you lied somewhere in your post... Quement Greer's team won it all in 1997, and he was the tournament MVP...

Unless you were talking about 1996, when Greer was a 7th grader playing in an 8th grade league... then you would have played for St. John Vianney  ... and if that is correct, I am bred to hate you, as you guys were our rival 7-8th grade... Im a few years younger than you, and they were the only team that gave us any bit of trouble in our league schedule.

You guys are completely overrating the Padre Serra.  The Catholic school leagues around the area are not good.

I'd whoop you all up.  Got a good 6 years less of wear and tear on my joints.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 11:22:49 PM »
In all seriousness, our church holds pickup games every week on Monday nights. Any scoopers in the Green Bay area feel free to PM me if you're interested.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 08:38:24 AM »
You guys are completely overrating the Padre Serra.  The Catholic school leagues around the area are not good.

Catholic school ball in most areas is now pretty craptastic.  It used to be one of the only ways that kids could play ball outside of the YBA and on the playground, but with the advent of middle school "travel teams," the quality of coaching and play in the Catholic schools has declined rather rapidly. 

Here in Indiana, we had a Catholic school team that went 38-0 a few years ago, and only one of those kids (who are now sophomores or juniors) is playing in high school.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 09:02:06 AM »

Catholic school ball in most areas is now pretty craptastic.  It used to be one of the only ways that kids could play ball outside of the YBA and on the playground, but with the advent of middle school "travel teams," the quality of coaching and play in the Catholic schools has declined rather rapidly. 

For the most part I would agree with you. The club teams and aau teams have taken the best players away and the milwaukee archdiocese did not allow participation on any other team. But now out of necissity the archidiocese as of last year has allowed palyers to play both on a club team and a school team. They also allow parishioners who go to public school to participate. The quality of players has therefore slightly improved.

Having said that I coached a pretty good team and entered several tournaments with public schools also in the tournament. We always whipped up pretty good on the public school teams as did most decent catholic school teams.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 10:38:15 AM »
TJ Bray was Padre MVP in 2006, he's done OK.  But I think your right about travelling team influence.

My kids school was looking good for a run @ Padre championship, but one dad had the swell idea that the three best players needed better competition and started a traveling team.  We went to the quaterfinals with what we had left.  Funny thing, only one of the three played varsity basketball (they all could of).  2 of the three play D1 football, one plays d2 football.  One douche nozzle dad had to throw his weight around though.

Parents: the bain of every coaches existence (even at YMCA 2nd hoop level)

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 11:32:02 AM »
Can I pretend to be Maurice Acker? I'm 5 foot 4!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 12:33:50 PM »
Catholic league was serious ball man.

I didn't even go to St. John's Vianney.  I was a ringer, they brought in from a different district for tryouts.   

Played a mean wing on a soft 1-3-1 zone.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 12:37:51 PM »

St. Luke's?

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 11:51:26 PM »
bring it on, scoopers!  Grab your notebook & prepare to be schooled!

seriously, everyone except WW sounds like they have a serious case of the "oldies" so i may just have a chance  :D

caltruda

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 12:28:16 AM »
That's why I go to the Helfaer every year on my birthday to see the latest half-step I lost that is almost compensated by my court saavy in setting screens no 18-year-old can handle. I'll be there on the 18th before the DePaul game... with the Warriors logo tattoo on my right shoulder blade.  ;D

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 11:34:17 PM »
St. Luke's?

St. Alphonsus, my story sounds like your story.

Didn't go to St. Al's, was a CCD kid.

And to those hating the Padre Sierra... my team played in an AAU tournament around the area, we being the only "church" team... we did quite well for ourselves, losing in the championship game.

I still play weekly, especially after basketball season (play pickup games with my high school students after school... show them the ropes - usually 3-4 times a week)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:36:46 PM by Mayor McCheese »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 11:27:26 AM »
In all seriousness I would definitely be in to get a pickup game going consistently somewhere around Milwaukee, been looking for one for a while now.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2011, 11:29:16 AM »
St. Alphonsus, my story sounds like your story.

Didn't go to St. Al's, was a CCD kid.

And to those hating the Padre Sierra... my team played in an AAU tournament around the area, we being the only "church" team... we did quite well for ourselves, losing in the championship game.

I still play weekly, especially after basketball season (play pickup games with my high school students after school... show them the ropes - usually 3-4 times a week)

You from the Greendale, Greenfield, Franklin side of town going to St. Al's?  Went to Sacred Heart myself, became St. Martin of Tours after I left.  Our b-ball team sucked.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2011, 12:03:40 PM »
Jimbo and myself used to umpire little kids baseball games.  It's essentially the same thing so we will be the special guest referees!

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2011, 06:15:12 PM »
Oh, Notre Dame/Don Bosco ball is where it's at. Representing St. Dom's in Brookfield.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 12:16:02 AM »
I balled for St. John Vianney...in San Jose, CA!

This would be a cool idea for a fundraiser a la Bo Ellis's golf tourney.

Maybe in honor of Mo Lucas or Hank Raymonds?
SS Marquette

feedback