[Today at 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: My son was just threatened with ejection from the game......  (Read 58315 times)

bma725

• All American
Re: My son was just threatened with ejection from the game......
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 02:36:35 PM »
Why would Native Americans find a headdress offensive? What a joke!!!

You can't understand why a sacred symbol reserved for the most revered people in a tribe is being worn by some kid at a basketball game would offend Native Americans?  Wow you really don't get it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 02:37:11 PM »
Who said they'd support a Joan of Arc image?

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 02:38:33 PM »

You can't understand why a sacred symbol reserved for the most revered people in a tribe is being worn by some kid at a basketball game would offend Native Americans?  Wow you really don't get it.

No, I don't get it. Maybe you can explain it to me.

Are you a native american or are you feigning your sense of outrage?

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 02:42:13 PM »
There is a simple solution here--pitz' son should dress up in a way to honor Joan of Arc.

actually - not a bad idea.. but I would not go with that image.. this one is definitely more appropriate and would go over better:
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 02:47:25 PM »
This is the first I've heard of this Joan of Arc thing.  I would definitely support such an idea with the warriors name attached to it.

'84, you are suggesting that a very wide spread and diverse group of alumni and students should all have the same thought and collectively change to Joan of Arc gear and burn the Native American gear????  What are we the borg??  The reason people expect the university to make that change is because they are the only ones that can organize such a sea change.  There is no way to prove it, but I am 100% that if we change to warriors with Joan of Arc as the symbol.....within 5 years there would be little in the way of Native American gear on display and would be almost unheard of within 10 years.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 02:49:36 PM »
I believe these are strong arm tactics.  Now I understand where Student Life is coming from but that doesn't make it right.  Just out of curiousity, when did freedom of speech become freedom to say or do anything as long as everyone is ok with it?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2007, 02:51:33 PM »
McMahon has ZERO jurisdiction over this, if this were a dorm then he would. Really the only MU official that would kick him out at the BC is Jim Nasiopoulous, who is more concerned about "derogatory" signs and fake laptops. The word would have to come down from Student Affairs, to Athletics, to the Bradley Center security. I don't think its gonna happen.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 02:57:03 PM by MUfan12 »

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2007, 02:54:46 PM »
Since college gameday is staged by ESPN, maybe they had something to do with it?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2007, 02:55:55 PM »

It's not just some hat people wore, it's something you had to earn.  The more feathers you had the more brave acts you had committed, the more revered of a person you were.  In many tribes only the chief was allowed to wear one, in some it was reserved for the chief and the spiritual leaders of the tribe.  The ordinary tribe members rarely got them except for a few religious ceremonies.  If a tribe member who hadn't earned it wore one, it was considered highly disrespectful.

I have Native American relatives, but I myself am not Native American.  but I'd be just as upset if it were something from any other group that had that type of significance being used in this way, regardless of what race or religion it was.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2007, 02:58:14 PM »
Is Jim McMahon the brother of Hugh Mcmahon who played for the Warriors from 1969-1971?

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2007, 03:00:32 PM »
Really the only MU official that would kick him out at the BC is Jim Nasiopoulous, who is more concerned about "derogatory" signs and fake laptops.

He's actually very good at his job. I don't think any of these lasted more than a minute.

“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2007, 03:01:16 PM »
...or related to Ed McMahon? If so, can you put in a good word for me for Publishers' Clearinghouse? I'm getting sick of work, and could really use winning that thing.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2007, 03:04:26 PM »

It's not just some hat people wore, it's something you had to earn.  The more feathers you had the more brave acts you had committed, the more revered of a person you were.  In many tribes only the chief was allowed to wear one, in some it was reserved for the chief and the spiritual leaders of the tribe.  The ordinary tribe members rarely got them except for a few religious ceremonies.  If a tribe member who hadn't earned it wore one, it was considered highly disrespectful.

I have Native American relatives, but I myself am not Native American.  but I'd be just as upset if it were something from any other group that had that type of significance being used in this way, regardless of what race or religion it was.

This is an absolute joke. We all know what headdresses were once used for. The fact is, wearing one to a basketball game is not meant to be disrespectful, nor should it be construed as being offensive. Does Marquette believe that if they continue to hide the fact we were once called "Warriors" and had Indian-themed logos that people will forget about it? The only way to get rid of old Warriors logos is to get a new one!! It's so obvious, it's PATHETIC!!!!!

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2007, 03:07:09 PM »
What, is Jim McMahon going to preemptively search the dorms of students tonight for Warriors gear before they leave for Gameday?

And if this is how they are going to approach any sort of expression of the Marquette Warriors, are they going to check the shirts of every fan they walk into the BC and eject any of them that have the word Warriors or Warrior-related imagery?  Or banish the students if they start a "Let's Go Warriors" chant?  Will they even use the word Warriors during halftime tomorrow night?

While I think wearing the headdress is in questionable taste and does more harm than good to the cause many of us Warrior supporters continue to champion, the kid certainly has the right to do it.  Obviously none of MU's PR people have learned a damn lesson over the years, and someone has got to tell McMahon to calm down.    
The General has taken on a new command.

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2007, 03:13:13 PM »
We could always start doing the tomahawk chop with chant....we did it at Notre Dame. I'm sure thats a ton worse than a logo and headdress. If they wanna see the native american imagery disappear, then change the name back. The only reason people, like myself, wear old warriors stuff is because it's the only logo associated with that nickname. Keep the new logo change the name and I(along with many others most likely) would wear that. They know they messed up twice now and think that if you get rid of it, that everyone forgets. I'm suprised they don't just get rid of anything(records,pictures etc.) relating to 1954-94. Kind of like the Family Guy episode with the Germans...where records for the years 1939-49 don't exist.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2007, 03:15:16 PM »

This is an absolute joke. We all know what headdresses were once used for. The fact is, wearing one to a basketball game is not meant to be disrespectful, nor should it be construed as being offensive. Does Marquette believe that if they continue to hide the fact we were once called "Warriors" and had Indian-themed logos that people will forget about it? The only way to get rid of old Warriors logos is to get a new one!! It's so obvious, it's PATHETIC!!!!!

And again you still don't get it.  It doesn't matter whether or not they mean to be disrespectful.  The simply fact that they're doing it is disrespectful to those involved.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2007, 03:20:09 PM »
And again you still don't get it.  It doesn't matter whether or not they mean to be disrespectful.  The simply fact that they're doing it is disrespectful to those involved.

According to whom? Please explain this to me. And please explain who "those involved" are.

YOU DON'T GET IT!!! 

MUfan12

• All American
UPDATE
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2007, 03:20:50 PM »
Here is what I found out after asking around a bit:

- Athletics spotted the headdress on tape, and sent it over to Student Affairs and Res Life to ID the student.
- Since Fr. Thon is out of town, McMahon is overseeing Student Affairs, which is why he was able to make such a threat.
-Why no one approached the student at any of the several games he wore this to really shows one thing:

University bureaucrats only care about displaying sensitivity to American Indians when it is in front of a national television audience.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2007, 03:24:53 PM »

According to whom? Please explain this to me. And please explain who "those involved" are.

YOU DON'T GET IT!!! 

Its offensive to Native American's that value and honor their heritage.  It would be like wearing a yarmulke when you aren't Jewish or military stars when you didn't earn them.  Because that's what a headdress is, that's what it signifies, it's a combination of a religious and military significance for that culture.  Wearing it when you aren't a part of that culture and haven't earned it is incredibly disrespectful.

If you don't care about offending Native Americans that's one thing, but to say it isn't offensive to them is ridiculous.

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2007, 03:26:41 PM »
PRN, I guess there will always be those who are overly sensitive about things that don't related directly to them.

WhereisGeraldPosey

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2007, 03:40:18 PM »
Who has a game ticket with them @ work?  I am curious as to the verbage use d on the back of the ticket identifying the University's power to eject a fan.  Will I get tossed if I wear a Samoan outfit to the game even though I'm not Samoan?  Where will this PC Madness end?  Maybe Pitz's son is 1/16th indian? will he still be removed from the BC because he is simply "expressing" his heritage.  Will a gay man or women be removed from the game because the Catholic Church forbides these types of relationships?  Where does it end!!!   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2007, 03:41:38 PM »

YOU DON'T GET IT!!! 

Its offensive to Native American's that value and honor their heritage.  It would be like wearing a yarmulke when you aren't Jewish or military stars when you didn't earn them.  Because that's what a headdress is, that's what it signifies, it's a combination of a religious and military significance for that culture.  Wearing it when you aren't a part of that culture and haven't earned it is incredibly disrespectful.

If you don't care about offending Native Americans that's one thing, but to say it isn't offensive to them is ridiculous.

Halloween must be shunned at your house.   ;D

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2007, 03:48:55 PM »

Why do you continue to speak for them? I would like to see the quotes, attributed to Native Americans, that object to Marquette returning to Warriors with a non-Native American logo.

I think you will have to look long and hard because such a quote does not exist.  We were given nothing but second hand objections from Fr. Wild, but not a damn thing from these real live "Native Americans" who are so offended by a nickname like "Warriors" that was ALWAYS meant to honor their bravery.

I don't get it? I think it's the Native Americans and people like bma725 and Marquette84 that don't get it!! You're so busy preaching to us from your high horse that you refuse to admit the origin of the name was a tribute!!

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2007, 03:50:53 PM »
There is a simple solution here--pitz' son should dress up in a way to honor Joan of Arc.

We keep hearing that MU fans support only the Warrior name and not the native American image.  We keep hearing that they would find a Joan of Arc image perfectly acceptable--if ONLY the administration would officially bless this move to the Joan of Arc mascot. 

Then, and only then could MU fans who want to honor the Warrior name could do so without an Indian as part of the image.

We've all heard the excuse--since MU won't provide an alternate to the Indian images, well, we'll just have to keep using the Indian. 

Are you all stupid?  You haven't yet figured out that nobody is stopping you from dressing up like Joan of Arc and honoring the Warrior image you all swear it your true intent?

Perhps if the administration saw the honor and dignity and support you show for the Joan of Arc Warrior, they might agree that it IS possible to keep the Warrior name. 

I say it's time for you to take the initiative.  Show the world you stand behind your the Joan of Arc imagery.  Why wait for the administration to bless your decision to switch en masse to Joan of Arc. 

You certainly don't accept the administration's blessing of the Golden Eagle name, so it is a bit confusing that you're holding off on this move until this same group gives you the thumbs up.

So this is your chance, Warrior supporters--dress up in your finest Joan of Arc regaila!!  You've been saying that is what you've wanted for years. 

Am I missing something here? Joan of Arc? Who exactly advocates a Joan of Arc-based mascot?

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2007, 04:22:32 PM »
I'm sure this guy only wears it to honor those times.

While I am pretty neutral on this whole nickname thing, I do enjoy the lengths people will go to make their points.  The above quote is my favorite for today.  Yeah, the kid is paying homage; I am sure it has nothing to do with trying to attract attention from the TV and/or Jumbotron cameras.  Just trying to honor history -- sure thing.  Isn't that a high priority with every college student, especially on this issue?  ::)

feedback