Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Wade commercial...  (Read 5259 times)

spartan3186

• All American
New Wade commercial...
« on: November 28, 2007, 07:35:28 PM »
Wade's new Converse commercial just aired on ESPN. It's the same one that debuted at Marquette Madness. Im not sure when it first started airing on network TV but this is the first time Ive seen it.

🏀

• All American
Re: New Wade commercial...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 07:46:30 PM »
You don't watch much, if any, ESPN do you?

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:41:30 PM »
ha i saw the commercial for the first time today too.  i usually tivo games that way i dont have to watch the boring commercials.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 08:55:31 PM »
For anyone else who hasn't seen it, a 6'-4" guard, from Robbins, Illinois.  Dwyane WAAAAADDDDEEEEEE!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mXxIw7UDtt8

A simple commerical yet amazing.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 09:23:59 PM »
actually i watch a ton of espn, pretty much non-stop when games are on.. but on commercials I do other things

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 09:47:45 PM »
anybody else get chills watching that?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 09:49:41 PM »
Hell no.

It's a LAME commercial.

A bad shot at being simplistic...
SS Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 10:26:35 PM »
Haha yeah I do actually.  For anybody who doesn't know it represents his first year in college.  The fact that he isn't using a ball and is in the arena alone represents him being academically ineligible for his freshman year and when he introduces himself it's supposed to be exactly how they first introduced him for the first game he played at Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 11:01:16 PM »
Haha yeah I do actually.  For anybody who doesn't know it represents his first year in college.  The fact that he isn't using a ball and is in the arena alone represents him being academically ineligible for his freshman year and when he introduces himself it's supposed to be exactly how they first introduced him for the first game he played at Marquette.

Did you think that was effective?
That's not the idear I got from it at all.
I just thought he liked to hear himself say his name over the PA system.
SS Marquette

MUshrooms

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 11:05:58 PM »
I'm not too crazy about the commercial.  I think to the average viewer it's just Dwyane Wade announcing himself to an empty arena...really nothing special.  Think, if it were anyone else (say Carmelo Anthony) would you still think it's a great commercial? 

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 11:12:59 PM »
I agree I am not a fan of the commercial... and as for the fact of him "referencing MU" it pretty much means nothing to anybody outside of MU fans because nobody is going to think that much into a Commercial and think "oh he must be using some sort of symbolism by not having a ball and being in an empty gym... he must be refering to Marquette University" I think the commercial could have been better especially if he was looking to include MU
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 11:18:10 PM »
Initially I didn't really like it but I think it's trying to get the point across that he's reached his dreams by being in the NBA.  When I see it, it looks like he feels like he's reached his dreams....which I'm guessing is what they were trying to get across with the sitting out and then finally getting his chance.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »
Yeah I understand that people who don't know the story would think it's kind of a plain commercial, but since I do know the story I think it's awesome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 01:06:29 AM »
I'm not too crazy about the commercial.  I think to the average viewer it's just Dwyane Wade announcing himself to an empty arena...really nothing special.  Think, if it were anyone else (say Carmelo Anthony) would you still think it's a great commercial? 

No. It's cool because it's Wade, and because I'm a Marquette fan. I figured since most (all?) of us fall into that category, most (all?) of us would appreciate it.

On the other hand, my roommate, a Loyola Chicago alum and die hard Big Televen fan, also loves the commercial.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 05:39:56 AM »

Really?
Well, I guess that makes sense because I wasn't sure why he was in Miami's arena announcing himself "outta of his high school" and not his college...

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 10:38:44 AM »

Where exactly did you get this information from?  it sounds like something someone made up.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 10:39:56 AM »
This commercial actually recreates his first introduction incorrectly ... for Wade's first season at Marquette, he was always introduced as being "from Oak Lawn, Illinois," which is where Richards HS is located. It wasn't until his second season that he was introduced as being "from Robbins, Illinois." I remember this because I was dating a girl from Oak Lawn at the time, and so it jumped out at us when they made the switch.

Very very minor detail, I realize.

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 10:48:26 AM »

Where exactly did you get this information from?  it sounds like something someone made up.

I remember reading an article (the source currently escapes me) that stated something along these lines.

EDIT: It wasn't too hard, here's the muscoop thread http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=4177.0

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 10:59:13 AM »
Here's another take on the commercial theme that I haven't seen before:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/arash_markazi/10/27/dwyane.wade/index.html

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 11:15:05 AM »

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 02:24:37 PM »
He also recently gave out shirts that said "From Robbins, IL" to everyone attending a Heat game.  The commercial is trying to stress where he came from.

mufan924

• Starter
  • we are marquette
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 02:58:59 PM »
Dwyane is gettin close to Sam Cassell status with crying to the officials for foul calls.

But he's still awesome.
"it's over...it's been over" -George Carlin

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 12:27:08 AM »
This commercial actually recreates his first introduction incorrectly ... for Wade's first season at Marquette, he was always introduced as being "from Oak Lawn, Illinois," which is where Richards HS is located. It wasn't until his second season that he was introduced as being "from Robbins, Illinois." I remember this because I was dating a girl from Oak Lawn at the time, and so it jumped out at us when they made the switch.

Very very minor detail, I realize.

Yup. It's corroborated by the article:

As Wade reminisces about the game and how he had to remind the announcer he was from Robbins, Ill. and not Oak Lawn, Ill., he is reminded that he went nearly a month without hearing his name called in the starting lineup last season for Miami when he dislocated his left shoulder. Even when he returned, he was never fully healthy and the Heat were swept out of the playoffs by the Bulls less than a year after Wade had won the NBA Finals MVP.
SS Marquette

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
Here is the extended version of the commercial... it makes much more sense now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mBUxLxbjvI&

MUshrooms

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 02:13:05 AM »
Ahh....very cool.  That version was very cool.  Just wish they didn't have to cut off so much of it to air it.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 07:08:56 AM »
Now that is a sweet version... thanks for sharing.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 08:21:22 AM »
Woah good find!  I wish they would have showed that version at Marquette Madness.