[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Adios 1212 Building...  (Read 13739 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Adios 1212 Building...
« on: November 27, 2007, 03:57:53 PM »
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2007/11/26/story5.html

I knew this was rumored for some time, glad to see it happening.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Adios 1212 Building...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 04:13:17 PM »
Marquette University has issued $55 million in bonds through the Wisconsin Health and Educational Facilities Authority to fund building purchases and renovations, including $25 million for a new administration building.

The Brookfield-based authority, which helps educational and health care institutions gain access to low-cost private capital financing and bonds exempt from federal taxes, issued the bonds in late October, said Larry Nines, WHEFA executive director.

The university plans to use the bulk of the proceeds for the administration building. The project includes demolishing a building at 1212 W. Wisconsin Ave. and building a new structure to house administrative departments, which are spread around the campus.

Marquette president Father Robert Wild's office also will be in the new building. University officials expect construction to begin in spring or summer 2008.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:13:58 PM »
Thank god.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 04:18:51 PM »
The building on 19th street across from Miss Katie's was bought by MU this summer or sometime relatively recent for the Advance team to work out of until the new bureaucracy building is built.

Guess what it's called?

"The 500 building".

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 05:00:11 PM »
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2007/11/26/story5.html

I knew this was rumored for some time, glad to see it happening.

Bummer, that was my office for 5 years.  I'll miss the old lady.  It was a dump, however.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 05:03:32 PM »
Ironically, when they came up with the name "1212 building" they were more creative than when they saddled us with our lame nickname.

ilovefreeway

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 06:30:28 PM »
Ironically, when they came up with the name "1212 building" they were more creative than when they saddled us with our lame nickname.

And the award for the "best adding a personal gripe to a totally unrelated topic" goes to......

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 07:01:14 PM »

And the award for the "best adding a personal gripe to a totally unrelated topic" goes to......

it's still true though

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 07:21:23 PM »
What's really sad is I think I'm in the last class that remembers the ATHLETIC OFFICE being in there. Crean's office with its blue and gold venetian blinds. TAAA-CKY.

I remember picking up my Fanatic tickets freshman year (02-03) in a hallway that was probably as wide as I was, with maybe a foot on each side, and I wasn't that fat a kid....well, at least BEFORE my freshman year...
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 07:35:08 PM »
Most creative building name has to go to the 707 Building by far.  I mean the 1212 Building is off of 12th St.  That's way too easy.  The 707 Building is off of 11th.  Now that's creativity at it's finest!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 07:37:37 PM »
Most creative building name has to go to the 707 Building by far.  I mean the 1212 Building is off of 12th St.  That's way too easy.  The 707 Building is off of 11th.  Now that's creativity at it's finest!

Uhh... the address of the 707 Building is 707 N. 11th St.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 07:39:10 PM »
Still!   Still!    Touche.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 08:13:50 PM »
What's really sad is I think I'm in the last class that remembers the ATHLETIC OFFICE being in there. Crean's office with its blue and gold venetian blinds. TAAA-CKY.

I remember picking up my Fanatic tickets freshman year (02-03) in a hallway that was probably as wide as I was, with maybe a foot on each side, and I wasn't that fat a kid....well, at least BEFORE my freshman year...

They moved the offices during my freshman year, I remember picking up fanatic tickets, as well as buying my ticket to the MU-USM game in Green Bay. That was a great roadtrip... ::)

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 08:38:45 PM »
One of my first MU memories was riding up the elevator with Coach Stephens and some recruit when I was turning in my Fanatic ticket money with my dad during Preview.  That was the summer of '00.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 09:27:58 PM »
at MUSG, we have been told about big changes coming to campus.  first the new 1212 building in additional to the new engineering building and the new law school are the big projects to focus on.  they also bought the marquette apartments on n 17th streets, above sweeneys, it is becoming a sophomore dorm in 2009

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 09:34:30 PM »
Speaking of the new engineering building, rumor around the biology department has it that once the engineers get their new building they are going to attempt to convert the current engineering building into the new bio building... it needs it bad.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 09:39:21 PM »
Speaking of the new engineering building, rumor around the biology department has it that once the engineers get their new building they are going to attempt to convert the current engineering building into the new bio building... it needs it bad.

That would be an incorrect rumor. The new engineering building is going to be mostly labs which are in the worst shape on campus.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 09:55:39 PM »

i heard offices.  alot of teachers and TAs are scattered across campus and in offices that have two or more professors.  the old engineering building would allow professors to have their own offices

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 09:58:59 PM »

i heard offices.  alot of teachers and TAs are scattered across campus and in offices that have two or more professors.  the old engineering building would allow professors to have their own offices

Did I just go un-noticed? The engineering buildings are staying engineering buildings. As civil engineers, this has been widely discussed in our classes.

The Discovery Learning Center is just that, a Discovery Learning Center. Comprised of mostly laboratories and teaching laboratories.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 10:11:43 PM »
I heard ya. I guess they don't pay attention to the engineering students that would know what's going on in the college more than others...

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 10:19:06 PM »
Did I just go un-noticed? The engineering buildings are staying engineering buildings. As civil engineers, this has been widely discussed in our classes.

The Discovery Learning Center is just that, a Discovery Learning Center. Comprised of mostly laboratories and teaching laboratories.
A couple points of contention
1. You posted that after I posted my comment so no you did not go unnoticed.

2. the administration is telling the bio department that turning it into a bio building is the plan. I was told by a professor and confirmed it with the department chair. So either the University is lying or I don't really know how to explain that.

3. I have been in the engineering labs... they are not anywhere close to the worst shape in campus. Wander down to the bio labs and take a look... they are pitiful. After looking at the undergrad labs walk down to the basement of WLS and take a look at some of the labs they are giving to the Bio professors, they are beyond pitiful. Long story short, your labs are not as bad as you are making them out to be.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 10:36:28 PM »
The building on 19th street across from Miss Katie's was bought by MU this summer or sometime relatively recent for the Advance team to work out of until the new bureaucracy building is built.

Guess what it's called?

"The 500 building".

unrelated,  but at the mention of miss katie's i have to mention the fact that i slept through a final last spring and took my final sitting at the bar of miss katie's and got an "A"!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 11:04:13 PM »

A couple points of contention
1. You posted that after I posted my comment so no you did not go unnoticed.

2. the administration is telling the bio department that turning it into a bio building is the plan. I was told by a professor and confirmed it with the department chair. So either the University is lying or I don't really know how to explain that.

3. I have been in the engineering labs... they are not anywhere close to the worst shape in campus. Wander down to the bio labs and take a look... they are pitiful. After looking at the undergrad labs walk down to the basement of WLS and take a look at some of the labs they are giving to the Bio professors, they are beyond pitiful. Long story short, your labs are not as bad as you are making them out to be.

I wasn't referring to you Spartan. I could possibly seeing Olin being turned into something for Bio, as I have heard nothing on it's fate (however, it holds our only lecture hall, and two engineering offices.) I do know Heggarty is staying engineering without a doubt.

While your labs may be bad, our Civil Materials lab has been shoved down into a retrofitted Heggarty basement. Full classes cannot fit down there, and no emphasis has been put into Materials, despite it being one of the forefronts for CE today.

We have Geotechincal Engineering Lab taught in a regular classroom now because the labs are in such terrible shape. As you can imagine, it's not like learning for an actual lab when everything is simulated.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 07:47:12 AM »

We have a biology program?

;)

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 07:54:33 AM »
The 1212 building is Johnston Hall, correct?