Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We shouldn't give up on Gonzaga  (Read 15557 times)

chapman

• All American
Re: We shouldn't give up on Gonzaga
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »
To me, this is the whole argument for keeping the conference smaller--divisions end up creating imbalance.  Keep it at 10, play a true round-robin, and you end up with a pretty nice schedule, with a mix of top schools to get marquee wins and a couple of bunnies in conference to pad the numbers.

Or just do what the current Big East, ACC, SEC, Pac 12, and Big Ten do with 12+ teams and don't have divisions.  Wouldn't even make a difference with Gonzaga.  What, twice a year they get to fly to Indianapolis instead of Philadelphia and Milwaukee instead of DC?  Not going to be what makes or breaks them wanting to join this conference.  If anything being locked out from ever having potential home-and-homes with Georgetown and St. John's on their schedule would be a deterrent to them.

Gonzaga isn't happening. They have a great program and I'd love for us to look at a home-and-home or maybe a neutral court series, one in Seattle and one in Chicago, but they won't be part of this league. There's a reason their name hasn't come up for the past couple months. Accept that there will be no Gonzaga and look at the best remaining options. It's just the reality of the situation.

Damn your realism!  ;)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2013, 12:33:51 PM »
Something tells me we would charter directly....now, if non basketball teams were involved because we had to take on their volleyball, tennis, golf, etc programs....nightmare travel.  Probably through SLC

Or they could just take a 90-minute or less bus ride to O'Hare.
The horror. The horror.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2013, 12:50:51 PM »
The horror. The horror.

A latter day Bataan Death March...

The Marquette Soccer Team en route O'Hare

Death on call

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »
I really believe you guys are dreaming.

You may say that I'm a dreamer... but I'm not the only one.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
The horror. The horror.

Yup.  It would suck, but they could do that.  Nothing better than flying several thousand miles, getting off a plane, waiting for luggage, then getting on a 90 minutes bus ride.  They are young, they can handle it, but it is a drag.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »
Yup.  It would suck, but they could do that.  Nothing better than flying several thousand miles, getting off a plane, waiting for luggage, then getting on a 90 minutes bus ride.  They are young, they can handle it, but it is a drag.

Meh .... if it's something you have to do frequently, it's a drag.
If it's something you have to do at most once a year, it's an adventure.

Though I ultimately agree that the Zags won't be a member,  I think the benefits absolutely outweigh the negatives.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2013, 02:07:47 PM »
Actually....

Gonzaga > Georgetown
MU > Nova
Butler > Xavier
Creighton > Richmond
St. Louis > Providence
DePaul = Seton Hall

This is better in almost every regard.

This is a weird hypothetical threat that will never happen (i.e., All of the The 7 need each other to get the auto-bid). But it's fun! Not sure how much I agree with. I think its pretty competitive. No St. John's though?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2013, 02:08:54 PM »
Meh .... if it's something you have to do frequently, it's a drag.
If it's something you have to do at most once a year, it's an adventure.

Though I ultimately agree that the Zags won't be a member,  I think the benefits absolutely outweigh the negatives.

Something tells me that - though not a member - Gonzaga will not escape all benefits of the C7.  Most likely we'll see Gonzaga show up in the non-con schedules of several C7 teams every year, perhaps on a purely coincidental but seemingly rotational basis.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I get the logistic nightmare of inviting Gonzaga.  Probably will not happen.  My heart says "make it so" and my mind says "probably no".

Regarding the actual travel itself... as someone who travels internationally quite frequently for work: My god do not have an ounce of sympathy for students making a once a year trip from Milwaukee to Spokane.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I get the logistic nightmare of inviting Gonzaga.  Probably will not happen.  My heart says "make it so" and my mind says "probably no".

Regarding the actual travel itself... as someone who travels internationally quite frequently for work: My god do not have an ounce of sympathy for students making a once a year trip from Milwaukee to Spokane.

Oh, I get you.  Usually my travels are to NYC and Denver, but I also make the circuit once a year to the call centers to make sure they are doing what needs to be done.  Going to Albuquerque, Boise and Salt Lake City, no problem.  Getting to fun places like Tulsa, McAllen TX, Pueblo CO, Chattanooga, Valdosta, Pocatello, etc, etc....not as much fun.   :) 

I agree with Pakuni, when I was out of college I lived on an airplane it seemed...three weeks of every month.  It was an adventure....I have to remember to put myself in those shoes of an 18 to 22 year old and not in today's world where making that trip would be a big drag.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »
Oh, I get you.  Usually my travels are to NYC and Denver, but I also make the circuit once a year to the call centers to make sure they are doing what needs to be done.  Going to Albuquerque, Boise and Salt Lake City, no problem.  Getting to fun places like Tulsa, McAllen TX, Pueblo CO, Chattanooga, Valdosta, Pocatello, etc, etc....not as much fun.   :) 

I agree with Pakuni, when I was out of college I lived on an airplane it seemed...three weeks of every month.  It was an adventure....I have to remember to put myself in those shoes of an 18 to 22 year old and not in today's world where making that trip would be a big drag.

I love Chattanooga!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »

Why didn't you check your bag?

I didn't want to risk it getting lost. These flights to Spokane are grueling...

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »

Milwaukee has joined the 90's. Southwest now flies outta here.

lol

More like the 2000s.

The Mil-SJ service WOULD'VE helped me in the 90s.
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2013, 06:09:31 PM »

It took me less than two years out of school before the airport started to look like a bus station.  That's when I knew the bloom was off the rose.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »

Yes but after we travel, connect flights, lose bags and get in late, we are not expected to get up the next morning and win a tennis match, or soccer game against an opponent of equal abilty.  Instead, we stumble through the day bleary eyed fueled by caffeine.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2013, 06:41:26 PM »
This.
Gonzaga is literally across the entire country for the east coast schools. It is NOT going to happen.

That said, I love the Zags and their program, not to mention their shared Jesuit tradition.
We Are Marquette

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2013, 07:09:27 PM »
We'd have 1 of those a year. Worth it.

Would you rather have a 10 pm start against a top 10 team or a 7 pm start against Dayton?

Easy choice.

But they would have a lot of 4pm starts.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2013, 07:17:47 PM »
Question, are the Zags even interested in joining?

Yes, the Zags are definitely interested. Still looking at ways to make it work. Adding GU would be a home run.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2013, 08:49:39 PM »
I love Chattanooga!

I do, too, it's just a pain in the rear to get there from So. Cal...multiple stops.

Montana Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2013, 08:56:38 PM »
I live in the midst of Zags country here in Montana.  Hundreds of GU alums here in Billings.  There is absolutely no talk amongst this crowd of joining a real cbb conference, especially one that is on the other side of the country.  Believe me, they love the role of playing Cinderella even if no one else believes it or cares anymore.  They love playing a grueling non-con schedule before the big boys get their acts together, winning a few of those, and then retreating back into their low major WCC, feasting on cupcakes and assuring another NCAA tourney berth.  Gonzo is a media darling of the highest order.  If I have to listen to Andy Katz salivate over them one more time I'm going to barf.  Look, the Zags have only played 3 ranked teams this year and they lost 2 of those games.  The Catholic 7 isn't looking to Spokane and the Zags aren't looking to leave their cushy gig called the WCC.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2013, 09:02:12 PM »
I live in the midst of Zags country here in Montana.  Hundreds of GU alums here in Billings.  There is absolutely no talk amongst this crowd of joining a real cbb conference, especially one that is on the other side of the country.  Believe me, they love the role of playing Cinderella even if no one else believes it or cares anymore.  They love playing a grueling non-con schedule before the big boys get their acts together, winning a few of those, and then retreating back into their low major WCC, feasting on cupcakes and assuring another NCAA tourney berth.  Gonzo is a media darling of the highest order.  If I have to listen to Andy Katz salivate over them one more time I'm going to barf.  Look, the Zags have only played 3 ranked teams this year and they lost 2 of those games.  The Catholic 7 isn't looking to Spokane and the Zags aren't looking to leave their cushy gig called the WCC.

A----F'ING---MEN

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2013, 10:15:09 PM »
The Catholic 7 isn't looking to Spokane and the Zags aren't looking to leave their cushy gig called the WCC.

I swear on a stack of Jesuit-blessed Bibles that I will donate $1000 to Al's Run if Gomzaga is in the C7+. It's so incredibly implausible.
A----F'ING---MEN

We Are Marquette

Montana Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2013, 10:41:06 PM »
Not so much to drag down the Zags but their media attention is more about the lack of relevance of west coast hoops than the strength of GU.  If the Zags play in a high major conference, mediocrity will come fast.  Big time talent is not headed to the backwater that is Spokane.  Their roster is full of Canadians and Euros for a reason.  We don't need Gonzaga.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2013, 10:51:23 PM »
Not so much to drag down the Zags but their media attention is more about the lack of relevance of west coast hoops than the strength of GU.  If the Zags play in a high major conference, mediocrity will come fast.  Big time talent is not headed to the backwater that is Spokane.  Their roster is full of Canadians and Euros for a reason.  We don't need Gonzaga.

That's also why the idea of them being a #1 seed just blows my mind.  They are a good team, capable of doing a lot, making the Final Four, but if they had to play in the Big East, ACC, Big Ten, etc, they would not be a two loss team.  Hell, they lost to the 6th place Big Ten team on their home court by double digits and a loss to the Atlantic 10's 3rd place team.   They would have 4 of 5 more losses in a top 5 conference.  Please please please have MU in Gonzaga's bracket if they get a #1 seed.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2013, 10:58:29 PM »

I live in the midst of Zags country here in Seattle. Tens of thousands of GU alums here in the Puget Sound. There is absolutely fevered talk amongst this crowd of joining a real cbb conference, especially one that features universities with similar traditions and missions. Believe me, they see GU as the national program it truly is and want the Zags to take their rightful place on a bigger stage. They are ashamed to  retreat back into the low major WCC, where they feast on cupcakes and earn NCAA tourney berths that are tarnished by the weakness of their schedule.  The days of GU being a media darling are numbered so long as they remain in the WCC. I listen to Andy Katz and know that he is far more connected than any poster on this board; if he is hearing the Zags are looking at the C7 then there is much more credibility in his insight than anyone at Scoop. The Catholic 7 is looking to Spokane and the Zags are seriously considering investigating leaving their current home in a low major conference which they have long since outgrown.

Death on call