[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by wadesworld
[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rankings  (Read 7649 times)

Big Papi

• All American
Rankings
« on: March 27, 2007, 05:09:50 PM »
ESPN rankings, top 150.  Good to see Mbakwe in at 73 and Christopherson at 144.

Anyone an ESPN insider that can get the lowdown on player evaluations?

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espn150?univLogin02=stateChanged&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespn150%3funivLogin02%3dstateChanged

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: Rankings
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 06:29:38 PM »
For Mbakwe there is no evaluation nor notes at this time. However, they do have a list that's titled "Considered" (assuming that's what they think the order of schools was) and it goes
1) MU 2) Tennessee 3) Florida 4) Miami 5) Cincinnati.

Same with Christopherson and his "Considered" list is 1) MU 2) Wisconsin 3) Washington State.

FWIW, they have a ranking system that breaks the prospects down. Christopherson is at 84 which places him at Outstanding Prospect and Mbakwe is at 89 which places him at Outstanding Prospect -- at 90 he would be a Rare Prospect. Not too shabby.

For those from Wisconsin they have Nankivil ranked #86 and his ranking system number is 88 which puts him at Outstanding Prospect.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »
This part was interesting too:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=269

Heard of most of these kids, but not all. 

So much for hopes for a big dude--although they do grow while in high school.  Maybe Renaldo will add four or five inches in a couple of years.
Ludum habemus.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:17:04 PM »
what happened to Jamychal Green... did we lose him???

what I love seeing is us getting prospects from outside the midwest area, shows the power we have around the country, although Chicago area is the best for recruiting in my opinion, just look at the players in the past few years that have come out from there
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 08:30:26 PM »
We are still on Green but there is a long list of high majors.  Last I read, he seems to have a very high interest in Kansas.  We are playing with the big boys and to get him will be tough.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 08:52:45 PM »
I found it disheartening that Syracuse (no ncaa this year) was able to recruit #'s 18, 24, 48, and 51 overall!  While 'Nova got #'s 11 and 16!  Man, that's recruiting!  Puts our #'s 73 and 144 into perspective.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 11:20:58 PM »
Last I read, he seems to have a very high interest in Kansas. 

That depends on who you believe.  Some Kansas fans seem to think he's got a medium interest in them at best.  Other reports have said that he wants to go to Kansas but they have low interest in him.  Still others have said that the only school he's really interested in is Alabama, and nobody else is even close.
There were even some reports after his AAU season that MU was the leader because of his connection with Nick Williams and the fact that Dwyane Wade is his favorite player.

At this point there really is no clear leader.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 11:23:38 PM »
I found it disheartening that Syracuse (no ncaa this year) was able to recruit #'s 18, 24, 48, and 51 overall!  While 'Nova got #'s 11 and 16!  Man, that's recruiting!  Puts our #'s 73 and 144 into perspective.

True...then again you compare our recruiting today to say..oh...8 or 9 years ago and we would cream our jeans for #73 and 144.

It's all in perspective.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 11:33:32 PM »
hate to say it because I hate exploiding a player... but since D Wade has become the Michael Jordan of this time (he really has in my opinion), we need to use him as a leverage for all we got
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 08:18:05 AM »

True...then again you compare our recruiting today to say..oh...8 or 9 years ago and we would cream our jeans for #73 and 144.

It's all in perspective.

I agree with you about this...

Until I hear further, I'm assuming Crean is staying, and continuing to build the program.

His recruiting classes haven't been better every year, but I would say they are trending up in the long run and in the next 5 years he might be able to land a "monster" class (maybe its the nick williams class, I'm not sure).

ALSO: Given the landscape of college basketball, you can have a really good team getting players in the 100-150 area because you will most likely develop them and keep them for 4 years.

It obviously takes special talent to be a special team, but getting guys in the 100 range with the occasional special talent in the top 30 would be pretty good.

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 09:00:37 AM »
crean isnt a bad recruiter in fact the opposite..he did get a freshman of the yr in the big east..whom people thought was a "project".. gets aother frshman of the year from another conf to transfer to mu(acker)..

mcneal was defensive player of year in only his 2nd yr...mcneal has got the tools to play at the next level..in nba he is going to be a pg..doesnt shoot high enough % to play the 2..cut down on turnovers and hes got 1st round talent in 08 or 09..then mathews..who was originally considered by most to be the most likely to go pro..that was a pretty good class..throw in dwight burke and hope he develops..may not b a "dream" class..but its pretty good group for anyone in the country really..

i still think the the "big 3"(i hate that, cant we come up with somethin else?)have something special..you see flashes of it frequently ..everyone needs to know their role(in these 3's case some big roles)and work on getting their job done on a consistant basis....it is a team game but for a team to b successful everyone must b relyable for their individual roles..and to me they have 3 distinct and different games and roles

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 09:27:15 AM »
Mbakwe had a terrible state tourney.  He was called for a technical in the 1st 5 minutes of the first game for poor sportsmanship after dunking on an opposing team's center (who was all of 6' 2").  This kid is a bad apple.  He's been to 3 schools in 4 years.  Acts like a total jack ass on the court and couldn't help his team win a championship at the lowest level in Minnesota of all places.

Don't count on that kid unless he suddenly takes to "Tough Love" or the players kick his ass into shape.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
Did you see how he got the technical? It was no big deal. Do you know Trevor? Just curious, because it sounds like you do.

Also, the ESPN list is pretty good, but we are definitely pursuing a handful of other players per IWB's recruiting board. The recruiting services can't stay as up-to-date as people connected to the program.

Plus, with all of the coaching changes there might be a few prospects backing out of verbals in 2008. Who knows?  ;)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 11:32:35 AM »
Hmm...doesn't sound like a bad apple to me.  The technical was for taunting the pep band - not falling on and taunting an opposing player or anything.  Sounds like he plays with a little attitude - I think we could use some of of that in our 4/5 spots.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_5491604
St. Bernard's power forward Trevor Mbakwe was in hot water twice Wednesday night.

In the first half, the 6-foot-7 Marquette recruit was hit with a technical foul, and early in the second half, he earned his fourth foul. Although he played 26 minutes, Mbakwe he said spent what seemed like an eternity on the bench.

Despite his absence, the top-ranked Bulldogs proved they are more than a one-man team with a 64-46 victory over Badger/Greenbush-Middle River in the Class A quarterfinals at Target Center. Guard Chad Jones scored 22 points, and Patrick Cassidy chipped in 12. Mbakwe scored 11 points, which gave him 2,000 for his high school career.

St. Bernard's (30-0), a private school on St. Paul's North End, won in its state tournament debut and advances to the small-school semifinals at noon Friday.

"I feel like I let my teammates down, but (they) stepped up great,'' Mbakwe said. "It was good to see my team can play without me.''

Mbakwe, a dominant force in the low post with powerful rebounds and acrobatic dunks, was on his way to a monster first half until his emotions got him into trouble. After a left-handed dunk with 8:01 remaining, Mbakwe faced the Gators' pep band and taunted band members with his jersey. He immediately was hit with a technical foul and sat the remainder of the first half.

"It was something I should have never done,'' Mbakwe said.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:42:45 PM by rocky_warrior »

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 01:48:09 PM »
Mbakwe had a terrible state tourney.  He was called for a technical in the 1st 5 minutes of the first game for poor sportsmanship after dunking on an opposing team's center (who was all of 6' 2").  This kid is a bad apple.  He's been to 3 schools in 4 years.  Acts like a total jack ass on the court and couldn't help his team win a championship at the lowest level in Minnesota of all places.

Don't count on that kid unless he suddenly takes to "Tough Love" or the players kick his ass into shape.

His technical was for popping his jersey which is something that happened twice a game with Alando Tucker. By all accounts, Tucker is a wonderful kid. Not sure it shows any reflection on his "bad apple" character.

It wasn't like a Jerry Smith situation.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 03:06:32 PM »

His technical was for popping his jersey which is something that happened twice a game with Alando Tucker. By all accounts, Tucker is a wonderful kid. Not sure it shows any reflection on his "bad apple" character.

It wasn't like a Jerry Smith situation.

Good point.  Tucker was popping his jersey, thumping his chest, shaking his head with his tongue stuck out at least a couple times a game.  Except for the UNLV game, :)

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 05:52:53 PM »
The "T" was a microcosm for this kid.  He spit in a teacher's face his Soph Yr.  Head case that has had people rationalize his behavior since Middle School.  Just warning you...a possible cancer.  You never know.  I do not know him personally...just started following his career a couple of years ago.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 06:04:45 PM »
Just warning you...a possible cancer.

You're throwing a lot out there based on limited info.  I mean, based on what I know about you, you could be a possible cancer for MUScoop.  But hey, I've only been following you for 18 or so posts.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=profile;u=367;sa=showPosts

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 07:04:19 PM »
Good basketball players don't always equal good people.  That was my only point.  Sorry for the dissent.  It won't happen again.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 07:13:35 PM »
Good basketball players don't always equal good people.  That was my only point.  Sorry for the dissent.  It won't happen again.

That's a pretty obvious statement. I took issue with you pointing out the technical because it seemed you were equating that action with a bad apple.

I am curious as to how you found out about Mbakwe's troubles?

TC has only taken a chance on one guy that I can remember and that didn't pan out. Wonder if Mbakwe's talent level was too high he couldn't pass on him and sold his soul a bit. Of course, every coach out there has some of that in them. Hell, at least our kids haven't left their teammates for dead after a car accident and remained on the team.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 07:24:38 PM »
Family/friends in Mnpls that are also MU alum.  No question he is good, but to a man everyone "freaks" on his personal issues.  They are well documented up here.  We aren't bitter U fans upset because he wouldn't stay.  Rather MU fans that watched him go from school to school due to personal issues.  The spitting incident was the worst. 

All I was trying to point out was that he could be a problem.  Maybe the other players and staff will straighten him out.  That is a real possibility.  It's just that there are 3 spots for 4 kids (or something like that).  He may be the one that bails. Who knows.  I don't. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 11:48:20 PM »

Dissent is cool.  Even stating that you're worried that he could have personality issues is cool.  I just take issues with you calling him a "bad apple" and warning us of "possible cancer" before he steps foot on campus. 

Pretty harsh words about a young man.  Either he'll get along in Crean's system or he won't.  If he doesn't Crean won't have him on the team - I don't think he'd keep a "cancer" around.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:09:53 AM by rocky_warrior »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 10:26:47 AM »
Family/friends in Mnpls that are also MU alum.  No question he is good, but to a man everyone "freaks" on his personal issues.  They are well documented up here.  We aren't bitter U fans upset because he wouldn't stay.  Rather MU fans that watched him go from school to school due to personal issues.  The spitting incident was the worst. 

All I was trying to point out was that he could be a problem.  Maybe the other players and staff will straighten him out.  That is a real possibility.  It's just that there are 3 spots for 4 kids (or something like that).  He may be the one that bails. Who knows.  I don't. 

I have heard similar things from people in the MN area... I don't think the kid is going to win any student of the year awards.

BUT, I have also heard that he is just immature... and I think the incidents reflect that. I don't think they reflect that he is really a "bad person" just immature.

I think he has the talent to be a pretty good player... it is yet to be seen if he has the maturity to develop his talents.

If he takes some tough love from the coaches and players and works his tail off, I think he will be sucessful. If he doesn't, well, based on the program's track record I think its safe to say he won't be around all 4 years.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 12:41:40 AM »
We are still on Green but there is a long list of high majors.  Last I read, he seems to have a very high interest in Kansas.  We are playing with the big boys and to get him will be tough.

Got this from ESPN's NCB (Scouts, Inc.) Recruiting Updates:

Green denies rumors he's made up his mind

Top junior recruit JaMychal Green refutes rumors that he's made a decision on his college choice, according to the Montgomery Advertiser. "I haven't committed to anybody," Green told the paper. "I'm still undecided. People are just talking around the city." The power forward is considering Alabama, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma State, Auburn and Florida.

Looks like we're - again - looking from the outside in.
SS Marquette

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 01:41:18 AM »
TC has only taken a chance on one guy that I can remember and that didn't pan out

I'm pretty sure TC took a chance on this academically ineligible kid a couple of years ago... that kid turned out to be pretty good  ;)

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 07:47:34 AM »

Looks like we're - again - looking from the outside in.

Not surprised.  I can't blame Green for looking elsewhere than MU when the coach here put's his hat into the ring every time a high profile job opens up.  Crean actually is shooting himself in the foot (recruiting-wise) by not publicly excluding himself from KU job and other high profile jobs...unless, of course, he takes the job.  He should publicly say, "not interested MU is my family" a la Slick Rick or other coaches will certainly tell potential recruits he ain't going to be here for their 4 full years. 

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 11:16:19 AM »
TC has only taken a chance on one guy that I can remember and that didn't pan out

I'm pretty sure TC took a chance on this academically ineligible kid a couple of years ago... that kid turned out to be pretty good  ;)

YEAH D-WADE!!

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 11:44:58 AM »
MU Hoops1 - Understand the point you are trying to make. Just giving a warning (albeit, a little harshly). I'd only counter that there are hundreds/thousands of h.s. athletes that enter college deemed "headcases" by these standards. Not to say you are wrong. I'm just saying….that's what the coach is for. It's his job to determine the potential risk/reward of a player and whether or not he can control him and make him help - not hurt - the team. To Crean's credit, I don't think he's allowed a player that stayed through graduation to do this.

I remember him publicly going off on Joe Chapman after the DePaul game last year for not acting like a senior and he stepped up from there out. As long as TC's willing to put his foot down, al should be o.k. and I'm willing to take my chance on Trevor.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 04:22:53 PM »
I have no idea why so many of you are anti this rule.
College bball get's to have more great players, so what if they leave after a year.  That's nothing new. I really enjoyed watching durrant and oden.  Are you mad about getting to see them?  Best center match up in the final 4 since the 80's not a good thing?

NBA teams will have a better idea of what they are getting into.  No way the bulls end up with eddie curry and tyson chandler with this rule, or if they did those two would be better players for having spent the pre pro year in school.  Are you mad at teams for wanting their huge investments in their picks to back up that investment by showing they can compete against people older than 17?

High school kids get to spend a year living for free, hooking up with college girls and increasing their marketability.  Oh, the poor things! God help Oden, if only he had been able to go to the NBA his quality of life would have been SO much bettter.  Durant's shoe contarct will be what? 50 million more than it would have been a year ago?

College isn't for everyone?  FIne go play in europe. 
If i had a job i would take it out of highschool!  - Yes good for you.  But now they don't because their potental employers (NBA TEAMS) decided that they wanted their entrie level employees to have some post highschool experience before getting hired.  Sorry guess the NBA isn't a McJob, get over it.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 04:46:21 PM »
Nobody is crying for Oden.  After getting our asses kicked by other countries in our own sport, Stern is trying to improve his product by imposing a rule that will save the league's owners and gms from making their usual poor draft choices.  Forget that a one year rule is short sighted for the NBA, but what most people take issue with is that the current NCAA class requirement rules are not set up for kids who plan on playing only one season.  Under current rules, a kid only needs to pass 9 credits of bowling, rock history and the rhymes of Tupac to be eligible for that one and done season.  This eats at the core of a school's integrity and credibility. 

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 09:58:18 PM »
Nobody is crying for Oden.  After getting our asses kicked by other countries in our own sport, Stern is trying to improve his product by imposing a rule that will save the league's owners and gms from making their usual poor draft choices.  Forget that a one year rule is short sighted for the NBA, but what most people take issue with is that the current NCAA class requirement rules are not set up for kids who plan on playing only one season.  Under current rules, a kid only needs to pass 9 credits of bowling, rock history and the rhymes of Tupac to be eligible for that one and done season.  This eats at the core of a school's integrity and credibility. 

Don't put this all on stern.  It was an owner vote.  And once again I don't care.  Kids don't have to go to class, don't have to do homework, don't have to study for tests unless you count memorizing the tests given to them ahead of time.  You think that having them take a few more classes under those circumstances would re-establish a school's integrity and credibility?
College basketball is a business.  I enjoy it's product.  I enjoy it more with oden and durrant playing this year than i would have with out them.  Just don't care about the rest of your arguments.

feedback