* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: Rushin Commencement Speech  (Read 12396 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: OT: Rushin Commencement Speech
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2007, 12:09:17 PM »
He was always my first stop when I got my SI.  I miss him in that mag.  A great read.  Thanks for posting, socalwarrior.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 06:00:11 PM »
Speaking of commencement speeches, if you didn't catch this on ESPN.com Page 2, they put together a commencement speech made up entirely of dialogue from various sports movies. 

Here it is....

I came here tonight, and I didn't know what to expect. I don't know what to say, really. We're way past big speech time, let's all gather round. I'm not much for giving inspirational addresses.

I have only come up with two hard incontrovertible facts: There is a God, and I'm not Him. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. All you have to do is get in touch with it. Stop thinking. Let things happen and you're gonna eat lightning and you're gonna crap thunder. You're gonna become a very dangerous person. Eye of the tiger. Now that's class.

It's not enough. Rely on your gift alone and you're gonna fail. You gotta develop yourself. The secret is confidence and concentration. You got them, you don't need much else. Take your time. Be patient. Be patient.

When it comes to books, I'm not really that smart. Shinto philosophy teaches you to accept life as a seasonal occupation. The Zen philosopher, Basho, once wrote: A flute with no holes is not a flute, and bees and dogs can smell fear. You're becoming one with fear. People have to live their own lives. Nobody can live it for you. This is where it all happens.

You just got lesson No. 1: Don't think you're going to live forever. Take a lesson from the dead. Everybody'd be nice to you if they knew you were dying. I don't know, nobody likes to think about it. I don't like to think about it. But if you don't, you might go through life thinking you've got plenty of time and you put off the really important stuff until later. Pretty soon, before you know it -- there's no more time left. You've blown it. It goes fast. Don't sleep. Don't waste a second of it. Because before you know it -- it's done. Nothing but babies and memories ... you hear me? Babies and memories. Don't get caught watching the paint dry. That's right. Or in the words of Jean-Paul Sartre: "Au revoir, gopher."

I would like to relieve you of the fears and anxieties which are so inherently symptomatic of a losing team. You can get through college half-assed. ... You can get through life half-assed. But I'll guarantee you wake up after a few years thinking you're a winner, but you're not. You're really a loser. All the arguing in the world can't change the decision of the umpire. What are you trying to prove? What's it prove? You're nothing but a small-time Charlie. I do know this: A foul is not a foul unless the referee blows the whistle. So I've got that going for me ... which is nice.

It's time to put away childish things. Show me the money and winner take all. Every sucker for himself. You gotta look to the future. You can't build on what you don't got. No time to waste. Now, the golden years are behind you. Nothing's ever gonna be the same again. Well, I've got news for you, you wanna dance, you gotta pay the band. All of us, we dig our own holes. You gotta go for all the answers. There is no tomorrow.
Right about now your bladder feels like an overstuffed vacuum cleaner bag, and your butt is kind of like an about-to-explode bratwurst. It's only your life. Don't make a joke of your life. Exhausted? Good. Get used to it. From now on it's gonna be more of the same. Stay in school and use your brain. Be a doctor, be a lawyer, carry a leather briefcase. Forget about sports as a profession. Sports make you grunt and smell. See, be a thinker, not a stinker. For it is money they have and peace they lack. It's OK to think about what you want to do until it was time to start doing what you were meant to do. You know, like anything can be great. Anything can be great. I don't care. Bricklaying can be great. The world needs ditchdiggers, too.

It's a good day to think about responsibility. People who confuse brains and luck can get in a whole lot of trouble. Seeing through the game is not the same as winning the game. A breakthrough. Breakdown? Breakthrough. I have to laugh, because I've often asked myself, my foe, my enemy, is an animal. In order to conquer him, I have to go the distance.

I'm talking about wanting things in life. I'm talking about having dreams. And all that starts right here. Having dreams is what makes life tolerable. You don't have dreams, you don't have anything. Let them play! You hear me?

Can you be perfect? Are you afraid to try? What's can't? There ain't no can't. Why don't you just step up and play the hero? Anything worth doing is worth doing right. We're always looking for excuses. Let's pretend ... we're real human beings. We analyze, we theorize, prosthetize, sometimes we even sympathize, but we never, never rationalize. Because in either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small, I mean, one half a step too late, or too early, and you don't quite make it, one half a second too slow or too fast you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. In this life, you don't have to prove nothing to nobody but yourself. If you put your effort and concentration into playing to your potential to be the best that you can be, that's heroic. Let's be heroes.

Buckle up my friend. You're about to embark on a great adventure. I want you to put each other in your hearts forever -- because forever is about to happen here in just a few minutes. That's all it is. I guess there's only one thing left to do. Now, what are you gonna do?

Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I've succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you, my kind of successes.
This is your time. Now go out there and take it ... and no one can ever take it away.
Victoire! Victoire! USA! USA! USA!

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 09:06:56 AM »
Gimp that girl was hilarious, never saw that beachball coming.  I must confess as well that Gimp gave our business school graduation speech and it was about 100 times better than Cokie Roberts.  Pushed the envelope a little with some of the admin and the ughhhmmm gold ughhmmm issue and still managed to get a bunch of laughs from everyone.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 10:29:04 AM »
Need help with the commencement speaker list.  http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/commencement_speakers

Who was your commencement speaker when you graduated? Include year.

Mine was Tommy Thompson, 1996.

1980 - Most. Rev. Francisco F. Claver, S.J., Bishop of Malaybay, P.I.  (Mine--zzzzzzzzzzzzz)
1981 - Rev. Walter J. Burghardt, S.J., Theologian, Georgetown University
1982 - Edmund Muskie, Former Sec. of State, Former U.S. Senator.
1983 - Loret Ruppe - Director of the Peace Corps
Ludum habemus.