'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Heldt>Fisher  (Read 24231 times)

KampusFoods

• All American
Re: Heldt>Fisher
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »
I think there's a bit of a disconnect on this, but I agree that we should be older by now. We have one senior because of a transfer. We have one junior left from the first class. We are young, in large part, because Haanif Cheatham, Traci Carter, Sandy Cohen, Henry Ellenson, Gabe Levin, and Duane Wilson left. We are also young because Egor Koulechov, Kyle Washington, and Cameron Johnson went elsewhere and for the most part the staff hasn't targeted JUCOs. There has definitely been some trouble balancing the classes.

Next year we are currently scheduled to have:

1 Senior: Matt Heldt
5 Juniors: Markus Howard, Sam Hauser, Ed Morrow, Sacar Anim, Harry Froling
3 Sophomores: Theo John, Jamal Cain, Greg Elliott
3 Freshmen: Joey Hauser, Brendan Bailey, Ike Eke

Personally, I really hope to see a grad transfer point guard (probably made that obvious in the recruiting thread) and that would give us pretty good balance going forward. Losing 60% of the 2016 class certainly had an impact. The next two years we won't be young anymore, but it is taking awhile to get there.

It will be concerning if Wojo can't get a decent grad transfer scoring guard to join in on that lineup. So thin on guards.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2017, 01:11:54 PM »
We have one senior and one junior.  We are young.

I get that. My point is he has been recruiting 4 years and we are still young. That is a problem. By now we should have been able to hang on to a few seniors and juniors. We are not.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2017, 01:14:22 PM »
MUeagle

It is a fact. It is like the Packers, always the youngest team in the league and most under the cap. If we are going to be young, lets have a bunch of one and done or two and done guys. Please note, I want this to be guys turning pro and not transferring that leave early.
Hey, that's a great idea.  Maybe you should tell Wojo so he can get right on that  ::)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2017, 01:22:59 PM »
ATL MU Warrior

Many on here would not like a slew of one and done guy, hence my saying I would gladly take that model. Obviously it is not a model they are going to follow and I get that. So, to get back to the original point, why are we still young in year four of his tenure?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2017, 01:44:38 PM »
We were always going to be young this season. When Wojo took over Deonte Burton, Jajuan Johnson, John Dawson, and Luke Fischer were set to graduate the previous season. The only player set to be a senior was Sandy Cohen. Things obviously played out differently with Deonte and John transferring out and Katin transferring in but it still ended with the same result. Whenever you graduate three starters, your experience is likely to take a hit.

So yeah we are young in the fourth year. But we were old in the 3rd year and got back to the tourney. When we are old again the 5th year I expect an even better season. When we are super old in the 6th year I expect great results. If Wojo executes the way he has planned, we will never be this young again.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2017, 02:36:03 PM »
We were always going to be young this season. When Wojo took over Deonte Burton, Jajuan Johnson, John Dawson, and Luke Fischer were set to graduate the previous season. The only player set to be a senior was Sandy Cohen. Things obviously played out differently with Deonte and John transferring out and Katin transferring in but it still ended with the same result. Whenever you graduate three starters, your experience is likely to take a hit.

So yeah we are young in the fourth year. But we were old in the 3rd year and got back to the tourney. When we are old again the 5th year I expect an even better season. When we are super old in the 6th year I expect great results. If Wojo executes the way he has planned, we will never be this young again.

"IF" is the operative word. Your outline, while reasonable, assumes nobody leaves. That has not been the situation the last 4 years.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2017, 03:39:05 PM »
"IF" is the operative word. Your outline, while reasonable, assumes nobody leaves. That has not been the situation the last 4 years.

Having a few three star players all from the Midwest might help keep that class together because they don’t have people believing they’re for sure nba material their whole lives.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2017, 03:58:47 PM »

This is true. I might be foolish but I see our key players like Heldt, M2N, Sammy,  Morrow, Anim, Joey,  and Bailey all staying. Those alone make us an old team.  I don't know about the freshmen or Harry yet but I think most of them stay too. Don't worry,  I knocked on wood.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »
Just thought it needed a bump.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2017, 02:40:23 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2017, 03:02:52 PM »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2017, 04:15:08 PM »
I liked Otule when he was here, but because of his lack of vision you couldn't drive and dish to him for the dunk because he had trouble catching anything but a telegraphed pass to him in the post.  Heldt does not have the vision trouble, of course, but he has the same issue were you cannot pass him the ball from a tricky angle or anything, because he will not handle it cleanly.  That has repercussions.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2017, 04:18:57 PM »
nm
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2017, 04:25:38 PM »
I thought Heldt would for sure give us 8-10pts and maybe 6 or more rebounds a game in the early
part of the season,he has to be a factor for our offense to work. He hasn't improved over last year
on defense either, can't jump!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »
We shoukd have the same 3-4 posters bitch about how young we r after every loss, it will magically make the players older
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2017, 05:50:21 PM »
We shoukd have the same 3-4 posters bitch about how young we r after every loss, it will magically make the players older

You can distract all you want your post was still stupid
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2017, 06:46:21 PM »
We need Froling to be good enough for at least 25 minutes a game if we want any chance at all to get in the tournament.

Heldt is a 5 pt /3 rb a game guy. Theo is light years behind Matt - I have seen no display of basketball skills at all yet this year from TJ. He can't be on the floor for more than 5 minutes a game.

We know Froling is better than Matt. We just don't know how much better yet.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »
No, time will do that.    Another season.    Inexperience is a fact, not an excuse. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2017, 07:09:41 PM »
This team is just not tough enough physically. Not only that, 4 or 5 years into a rebuild and we are still "young"?

This is year 3 of the rebuild.  The class that would be seniors now scattered when Buzz left - trying to take as many with him as he could.  Wojo's first recruiting class was represented by two juniors and a redshirt sophomore until Haanif left.  Two are playing, one was recruited over and left last year, one went the NBA route, and one was starting with the fourth most minutes on the team and still left for a hoped for bigger role elsewhere, possibly because he saw younger talent about to overtake him.  We're still young because Wojo couldn't get it all done in one recruiting year and because he's recruiting better talent that's pushing aside some of the talent he first recruited.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:13:17 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2017, 09:51:21 PM »
This is year 3 of the rebuild.  The class that would be seniors now scattered when Buzz left - trying to take as many with him as he could.  Wojo's first recruiting class was represented by two juniors and a redshirt sophomore until Haanif left.  Two are playing, one was recruited over and left last year, one went the NBA route, and one was starting with the fourth most minutes on the team and still left for a hoped for bigger role elsewhere, possibly because he saw younger talent about to overtake him.  We're still young because Wojo couldn't get it all done in one recruiting year and because he's recruiting better talent that's pushing aside some of the talent he first recruited.

I agree with this. But we'd both better watch it or we'll be accused of "accepting mediocrity."

Not sure what I'm supposed to do if I don't accept mediocrity. I guess become a F%cky Fadger fan. Oh wait ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2017, 12:55:26 PM »
We need Froling to be good enough for at least 25 minutes a game if we want any chance at all to get in the tournament.

Heldt is a 5 pt /3 rb a game guy. Theo is light years behind Matt - I have seen no display of basketball skills at all yet

this year from TJ. He can't be on the
floor for more than 5 minutes a game.

He’s light years behind 0/6 from the field missing bunnies, bad defense, and low b ball IQ?    K...

We know Froling is better than Matt. We just don't know how much better yet.

feedback