[Today at 10:36:59 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Do you consider lifting the Elliot redshirt at this point?*  (Read 4071 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Re: Do you consider lifting the Elliot redshirt at this point?*
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2019, 11:25:25 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one Brew. To answer my own question, probably not for what could be as few as 3 games when you probably weren't more than a pretty long longshot to win it all. Now if you have a legit shot to win the whole thing, and in some things break the right way you might be next year, you do what you gotta do.

No offense to Greg if he reads MUScoop but is he even good? Does he even know? He’s becoming quite the star in MU folklore.

I’ll tell ya what- I love everything about Greg. I saw him in Brooklyn walking to the bus being best friends all the walkons, I saw him cheer on Jamal when he needed a guy, and I always see him in Markus grill when he needs a guy. Greg you’re ok by me, now I just hope you’re good

burger

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 08:11:34 AM »
The decision was made in the best interest of the player......

Even thought Gregg if I had to guess probably wants to help......You keep with what is in the best interest of the player......

No matter what.....

And yes.....he would help......But we are not Duke who has pressure to win a National Championship every year and a player does not know how many players are coming In at his position to subplant him in the next recruiting class of one and done's......

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 10:07:05 AM »
But we are not Duke who has pressure to win a National Championship every year

This is it for me. Do you think this is a national championship team this year? If so, lift the redshirt. If not, then what can you possibly win that will convince you this is more important than having fifth year senior Greg in 2021-2022?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 10:19:37 AM »
Gotta admit, had the same thought walking out of the Pru but it could be screwing the kid over for as few as 3 games.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 11:34:08 AM »
Why do people think Greg - even if 100% healthy and up to speed - is the answer at PG? Or why do they believe Wojo would play Greg at PG over Markus?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 11:36:08 AM »
This thread is great.  You don't make the decision to redshirt a kid just a play him when there are potentially as few as three games left in the season.  Insanity. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2019, 11:41:36 AM »
Why do people think Greg - even if 100% healthy and up to speed - is the answer at PG? Or why do they believe Wojo would play Greg at PG over Markus?

I agree totally.  He was not a point guard last year, so what makes him a point guard now.  He is a 2 guard, which he will play next year.  Maybe he can play a little
next year at the point, but he sure did not show he could play the point last year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2019, 11:47:30 AM »
I think Greg played one handed last year.   Before the re-injury, he was playing with both hands. 

Wojo said he was playing well enough to start.   I wondered who he would start in place of.   Clearly not Markus.   Sacar?   Joey/Bailey?

As far as what he would give, I would take the one handed Greg of last year over the two handed Chartouny of this year.    Even if he can only give 15 effective MPG, that would be more than Joe has given on a consistent basis.   

Maybe that means Sacar or Sam plays more point.

I think Cain played better with Greg around.   

It is too late to pull the red-shirt from Greg.    Unless (a) Markus has a season ending injury or (B) it is truly believed that his presence gives MU an extra 1-2 tourney wins.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2019, 11:53:56 AM »
I think Greg played one handed last year.   Before the re-injury, he was playing with both hands. 

Wojo said he was playing well enough to start.   I wondered who he would start in place of.   Clearly not Markus.   Sacar?   Joey/Bailey?

As far as what he would give, I would take the one handed Greg of last year over the two handed Chartouny of this year.    Even if he can only give 15 effective MPG, that would be more than Joe has given on a consistent basis.   

Maybe that means Sacar or Sam plays more point.

I think Cain played better with Greg around.   

It is too late to pull the red-shirt from Greg.    Unless (a) Markus has a season ending injury or (B) it is truly believed that his presence gives MU an extra 1-2 tourney wins.   

Chartonney did not work out, to bad, we were all hoping he could play.  It is obvious he can not.  Not quick enough.  It was worth the try.  Greg did not play point much last year, not sure he was a point in high school.  Not sure where Greg fits in the program,  it will be interesting to see how it all comes together next year.  Still
would like to see another power forward on the team.  Was hoping with the year off that Morrow could play the 4, obviously Wojo did not think he can.  And seeing his offensive skill set, he it a center.  Somebody who can play above the rim.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »
Like Cain?   Or Bailey after a year in the weight room?   Or Theo?    Or Ike? 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2019, 12:01:20 PM »
Does this entire thread go straight to scooptakes?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2019, 12:25:00 PM »
Does this entire thread go straight to scooptakes?

Thankfully, Twitter has character limits.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2019, 01:02:38 PM »
On second hand, whoever this Elliot character is should burn his redshirt. But our Elliott should keep his.  ;D

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback