[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NYT report that Paterno was told about Sandusky in 1976  (Read 7634 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Re: NYT report that Paterno was told about Sandusky in 1976
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2016, 03:59:43 PM »
Back in '76, it was still fine for coaches to "not know anything".

An HBO doc on UCLA discusses Sam Gilbert (noted outside supporter- ahem), and shows interview where Wooden simply says..."I didnt want to know anything about what he was doing". Of Course he didnt,...back then deniability was a reasonable defense.

Of course..I am not analogizing this here to boosters .....but simply noting that until recent years this was generally the accepted way coaches insulated themselves from liability for almost anything but wins and losses...total blinders and isolation. Even if they were told/suspected...."they never really knew" They got away with that because we let them

Thats all changing as in this era.....we are opening up liability/responsibility for both the seen and the unseen. Those in positions of responsibility are more often held responsible.....including to make sure "they know", and that they investigate/act.  Thats good

JoePa coached in this older era, and continued to this new era. That he kept up the older era's "blinders" shouldnt be surprising, but he and his legacy may be quite reasonably tarnished for continued his head in the sand approach. History should always be a harsher judge as it should report truth and dispel myth.

On the Catholic issue, I thought the movie "Spotlight" nailed it. That abuses occurred multiple times, wasnt the just the story...as the editor (Liv Shrieber ?)instructed....that everyone higher up knew of it and there was a systematic effort to bury and not reveal the issue was the real story.

Its  not the crimes, but the response of those responsible for enforcement that often becomes the more serious issue

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU82

• All American
Re: NYT report that Paterno was told about Sandusky in 1976
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2016, 12:43:55 PM »

Thats all changing as in this era.....we are opening up liability/responsibility for both the seen and the unseen. Those in positions of responsibility are more often held responsible.....including to make sure "they know", and that they investigate/act.

I don't know ... "Golly jeepers, I didn't know nuthin' about that doggone deal, dagnabit," seems to still be working for Roy Williams.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson