[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Endowment  (Read 5770 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Endowment
« on: January 10, 2016, 09:46:04 PM »
We need to have a focused effort to increase our endowment. If we had more funds we could offer more attractive full ride scholarships to get the best students. Over time this would be a virtuous circle. Would like to see us get north of $1 billion

http://www.marquette.edu/endowment/endowment-performance.shtml
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
Re: Endowment
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 09:48:46 PM »
Why does Marquette need "to get the best students?"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:51:21 PM »
That is a proven way to improve your schools reputation.  We want to be associated with the best possible students.
            ---Al McGuire

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 10:19:39 PM »
Thought this topic was going an entirely different direction.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:18:44 AM »
Thought this topic was going an entirely different direction.

Was ready to comment 9" but apparently we're not having a d!ck measuring contest

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 12:36:03 AM »
Jeez, I thought this thread was a tribute to me...

Death on call

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 08:39:10 AM »
They got pills for that, ai'na?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 08:39:56 AM »
That is a proven way to improve your schools reputation.  We want to be associated with the best possible students.

Why, and by how much, should Marquette "improve it's reputation?"

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but this is one of my pet peeves with schools that chase rankings.  Why?  What purpose is this serving?  How does this enable the school to meet its mission?  IMO there is nothing wrong with Marquette excelling in its current niche.

IOW, focusing on an endowment that improves access to its education of its current "segment" of students, versus chasing "the best possible students," I can get behind.  I have no interest in supporting a Marquette University that I couldn't have gotten into.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 09:20:48 AM »
Let's focus on what's important here... if you think the current student section sucks, just wait til they start getting the really smart kids.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »

Why, and by how much, should Marquette "improve it's reputation?"

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but this is one of my pet peeves with schools that chase rankings.  Why?  What purpose is this serving?  How does this enable the school to meet its mission?  IMO there is nothing wrong with Marquette excelling in its current niche.

IOW, focusing on an endowment that improves access to its education of its current "segment" of students, versus chasing "the best possible students," I can get behind.  I have no interest in supporting a Marquette University that I couldn't have gotten into.

+1

I'm as competitive as the next guy, but is Marquette's mission to get the best students or be the best in the rankings? The whole point of the university is to produce well-rounded, successful, and engaged adults who can do good works in all sorts of things. Not that having a number 1 ranking precludes those things from happening as well but why do we want to get into the realm?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 09:55:05 AM »
+1

I'm as competitive as the next guy, but is Marquette's mission to get the best students or be the best in the rankings? The whole point of the university is to produce well-rounded, successful, and engaged adults who can do good works in all sorts of things. Not that having a number 1 ranking precludes those things from happening as well but why do we want to get into the realm?

From May 2013 ....

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/marquette-university-adopts-vision-to-raise-its-profile-7t9ptd0-205675301.html

Marquette University on Wednesday [May 1, 2013] proclaimed a new vision for itself - to be recognized among the most innovative and accomplished Catholic and Jesuit universities in the world.

A strategic plan approved by the board of trustees calls for Marquette to raise its U.S. News & World Report ranking, as well as its profile for research and community involvement. The plan also calls for Marquette to leverage its brand through its nationally ranked men's basketball team and other athletic programs now part of the new Big East Conference.

Marquette President Father Scott R. Pilarz said in an interview Wednesday that the new vision and strategic plan were the culmination of conversations involving the whole campus community since his arrival about two years ago.

Here is the PowerPoint Presentation
http://www.marquette.edu/strategic-planning/documents/strategic-plan-ppt.pdf

Some highlights:

Marquette University aspires to be, and to be recognized, among the most innovative and accomplished Catholic and Jesuit universities in the world, promoting the greater glory of God and the well-being of humankind.

We must reach beyond traditional academic boundaries and embrace new and collaborative methods of teaching, learning, research and service in an inclusive environment that supports all of our members in reaching their fullest potential.

Marquette graduates will be problem-solvers and agents for change in a complex world, so in the spirit of St. Ignatius and Jacques Marquette they are ready in every way “to go and set the world on fire.”

Objectives

* Be a first-choice university for bright and promising students.

* Recruit, retain and empower mission-driven, diverse faculty at the cutting edge of their fields.

* Adopt new learning and research technologies to strengthen the university’s commitment to offering a personally transformative education.

* Move into the top quarter of national universities ranked by U.S. News & World Report.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/marquette-university-adopts-vision-to-raise-its-profile-7t9ptd0-205675301.html

---------------------

So yes this is the mission of MU is to get the best possbile students and crack the top 50 on US News (top quarter).  The BoT said so 2 1/2 years ago.

We had a 12 page thread about it back then

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41035.msg542954#msg542954

---------------------

Second their is a specific reason MU's endowment is so small.  Until the 1960s Jesuit Universities believed their mission included helping the poor.  So any "extra" money they had every year that now goes into an endowment went to the poor.  So MU, like many Jesuit Universities did not begin to save for an endowment until about 50 years ago.

Harvard has $33 billion in their endowment but they started their endowment 150 years before the Deceleration of Independence was signed (they were founded in 1636).

--------------------

The way you get the endowment to expand is to court old billionaires to give their money to the school on their death.  As in hundreds of millions at once.  Or, find current zillionaires to write 8 or 9 figure checks.

Paging Marcus Lemonis (rumors continue he will write a big check to name the new business school after him) or others like him.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:57:58 AM by Heisenberg »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 11:11:56 AM »
Yeah!  We want those some of those  Yale kids who signed a petition to revoke the First Amendment
That will put us on the map

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 12:03:09 PM »
Yeah!  We want those some of those  Yale kids who signed a petition to revoke the First Amendment
That will put us on the map

No, we'll stick to those that thought the Assata Shaku mural was a good idea.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 01:22:15 PM »
I believe we should honor Kate Upton for her wonderful endowments.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 01:27:59 PM »
I thought this was going to be a part of the continuing Famous X University Alumni thread.?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 07:40:15 PM »
From May 2013 ....

Marquette University on Wednesday [May 1, 2013] proclaimed a new vision for itself - to be recognized among the most innovative and accomplished Catholic and Jesuit universities in the world.

A strategic plan approved by the board of trustees calls for Marquette to raise its U.S. News & World Report ranking, as well as its profile for research and community involvement. The plan also calls for Marquette to leverage its brand through its nationally ranked men's basketball team and other athletic programs now part of the new Big East Conference.

Marquette President Father Scott R. Pilarz said in an interview Wednesday that the new vision and strategic plan were the culmination of conversations involving the whole campus community since his arrival about two years ago.

Here is the PowerPoint Presentation
http://www.marquette.edu/strategic-planning/documents/strategic-plan-ppt.pdf

Some highlights:

Marquette University aspires to be, and to be recognized, among the most innovative and accomplished Catholic and Jesuit universities in the world, promoting the greater glory of God and the well-being of humankind.

We must reach beyond traditional academic boundaries and embrace new and collaborative methods of teaching, learning, research and service in an inclusive environment that supports all of our members in reaching their fullest potential.

Marquette graduates will be problem-solvers and agents for change in a complex world, so in the spirit of St. Ignatius and Jacques Marquette they are ready in every way “to go and set the world on fire.”

Objectives

* Be a first-choice university for bright and promising students.

* Recruit, retain and empower mission-driven, diverse faculty at the cutting edge of their fields.

* Adopt new learning and research technologies to strengthen the university’s commitment to offering a personally transformative education.

* Move into the top quarter of national universities ranked by U.S. News & World Report.

---------------------

So yes this is the mission of MU is to get the best possbile students and crack the top 50 on US News (top quarter).  The BoT said so 2 1/2 years ago.

We had a 12 page thread about it back then

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41035.msg542954#msg542954

---------------------

Second their is a specific reason MU's endowment is so small.  Until the 1960s Jesuit Universities believed their mission included helping the poor.  So any "extra" money they had every year that now goes into an endowment went to the poor.  So MU, like many Jesuit Universities did not begin to save for an endowment until about 50 years ago.

Harvard has $33 billion in their endowment but they started their endowment 150 years before the Deceleration of Independence was signed (they were founded in 1636).

--------------------

The way you get the endowment to expand is to court old billionaires to give their money to the school on their death.  As in hundreds of millions at once.  Or, find current zillionaires to write 8 or 9 figure checks.

Paging Marcus Lemonis (rumors continue he will write a big check to name the new business school after him) or others like him.

I would like to see us have the ability to offer the same type of scholarship program that UNC does. The philosophy of their program is consistent with MU.  They offer complete full ride with summer internship etc. Many kids turn down Ivy League to take this scholarship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morehead-Cain_Scholarship

I think for MU to achieve its stated strategic plan we need something like this.
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 07:45:09 PM »
When I hit the powerball, I will throw a couple of shekels at the endowment. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 08:39:15 PM »

Oh man, I couldn't imagine the number of solicitation calls I'll receive from MU after winning. I didn't think of that! I'll have to change my phone number.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 09:33:44 PM »
So will I.
            ---Al McGuire

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 10:00:29 PM »
Oh man, I couldn't imagine the number of solicitation calls I'll receive from MU after winning. I didn't think of that! I'll have to change my phone number.

Hired a guy years ago and before he started he won $3MM in the lottery.
They actually counseled him and had him speak to previous winners. He was told to move away temporarily and get an unlisted phone number as the amount of unsolicited calls from "long lost " relatives and money managers, etc. will drive you nuts. he did not start the job but went dark.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 11:18:11 PM »

You mean after they change the name back, of course.

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 11:48:02 PM »

With that kind of money they may do it.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 12:24:30 AM »

I've had MU blocked on my cell for years. They have begging down pat

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »
  Hired a guy years ago and before he started he won $3MM in the lottery.
They actually counseled him and had him speak to previous winners. He was told to move away temporarily and get an unlisted phone number as the amount of unsolicited calls from "long lost " relatives and money managers, etc. will drive you nuts. he did not start the job but went dark.

Hit the Powerball on Wednesday
Meet with lawyer, financial advisor and accountant on Thursday
Quit job and turn ticket in Friday morning
Head somewhere warm Friday afternoon for a few weeks.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »

That sounds about right.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 09:45:05 AM »

I was going to have them name the teams after me.    The Marquette Jackasses has such a nice ring. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 09:48:10 AM »

Since apparently we're all going to win, where are we meeting up?

Actually, it would probably take me a few weeks or more to get everything done that I'd want to do before claiming the money.  And unfortunately, I think I'd need to give a month notice or so before leaving work.  But I'll cross those bridges when they come...starting Thursday.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 10:15:09 AM »
Since apparently we're all going to win, where are we meeting up?

Actually, it would probably take me a few weeks or more to get everything done that I'd want to do before claiming the money.  And unfortunately, I think I'd need to give a month notice or so before leaving work.  But I'll cross those bridges when they come...starting Thursday.

what are they going to do, fire you? I would call in sick and then stop in to the office the day after collecting, give the boss the ole FU and tell my co-workers to meet me at the bar after work cuz I'm buying

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 10:17:43 AM »
Yeah once it is known that you are a multi-millionaire, you won't be able to get any work done anyway.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 10:23:42 AM »
what are they going to do, fire you? I would call in sick and then stop in to the office the day after collecting, give the boss the ole FU and tell my co-workers to meet me at the bar after work cuz I'm buying

If I suddenly won over a billion dollars, I would probably be driving my Bugatti through Provence before it even occurred to me that I probably should have called in sick.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 10:55:17 AM »

I have partners and clients that I admire greatly and feel a sense of responsibility to.  I'd want to make sure that all the matters I'm working on were smoothly transferred to someone else.  Granted, being disbarred wouldn't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things if I had a billion dollars, but I would make sure that my clients' interests were protected.  If I could do that in a week, I would.  If it took longer, I'd take the time.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »

By Monday travel companion Johnny Manziel is heard saying "enough!"

Fixed

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 12:36:14 PM »
I might keep working.   I like what I do.   And being able to call stupid stupid with no financial repercussions has some appeal. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »
I might keep working.   I like what I do.   And being able to call stupid stupid with no financial repercussions has some appeal.

For me, that kind of money is not about not the stuff I could buy.  It's about the ability to wake up every day and just do whatever (legal) thing I feel like doing that day.  I think that would be pretty awesome. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 02:28:27 PM »

To Marquette College?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »
For me, that kind of money is not about not the stuff I could buy.  It's about the ability to wake up every day and just do whatever (legal) thing I feel like doing that day.  I think that would be pretty awesome. 

"Hey hon...you know that bistro in London we like?  How about for dinner tonight?"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 07:00:35 PM »

Ya forgot to add a 3 way with Kate Upton and Bar Rafaeli, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2016, 07:10:37 PM »
New underwear and socks. Nice socks.

And I'll buy the Sugar Shack to get ZFB back to work. It'll be a short drive from my Geneva Lake mansion and polo field.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2016, 07:27:30 PM »

Dogs according to Jay Bee.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2016, 07:30:45 PM »
Let's focus on what's important here... if you think the current student section sucks, just wait til they start getting the really smart kids.

Duke's student section is pretty good.

;)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2016, 08:41:51 PM »
I have partners and clients that I admire greatly and feel a sense of responsibility to.  I'd want to make sure that all the matters I'm working on were smoothly transferred to someone else.  Granted, being disbarred wouldn't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things if I had a billion dollars, but I would make sure that my clients' interests were protected.  If I could do that in a week, I would.  If it took longer, I'd take the time.

Nothing that couldn't be handled from a nude beach in the Caribbean, a'ina?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2016, 08:43:31 PM »
Nothing that couldn't be handled from a nude beach in the Caribbean, a'ina?

Have you ever been to a nude beach?  They are always full of people you don't want to see naked.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2016, 11:35:56 PM »
Have you ever been to a nude beach?  They are always full of people you don't want to see naked.

When we lived in Jakarta we often headed over to Bali for the weekend. Once, I wandered down to a vacant stretch of beach of promptly fell asleep from the hangover raging through my system.

I was awakened by my wife who knocked over the thing I was sleeping on. Turns out the vacant beach was now populated by naked European women who were definitely worth ogling.

Despite my claims of innocence my wife was pretty certain that my story was bull sh1t as she stormed back to the clothed section of the beach. 

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2016, 05:37:24 AM »

that's only 2...who's the 3rd?  ohhhh, you mean as a participant in...well shoot man-you're forgetting
      emily ratajkowski and a body paint suit and tie? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2016, 05:40:31 AM »

except-BARE on the roof of the mirage hotel in vegas-the weather won't disappoint either
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2016, 07:25:29 AM »

Because after I win the lottery, I only want top-notch scholars accepted to the Warriorchick School of Business.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2016, 01:01:45 PM »
Because after I win the lottery, I only want top-notch scholars accepted to the Warriorchick School of Business.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2016, 01:10:37 PM »
Yep.  That's the brochure cover.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2016, 01:23:22 PM »
Yep.  That's the brochure cover.

I got that from an insider at Zizzo after I heard you did the photo shoot

Death on call

Class71

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2016, 07:21:45 PM »

I didn't realize that IQ was related to school spirit and interest in sports.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

feedback