collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hours worked  (Read 8774 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Hours worked
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2014, 06:55:34 PM »
For the record, shift starts at 0700.   From 0730-1700, we train, inspect, shovel hydrants (endlessly this month), install smoke detectors, tour buildings, do machine and station maintenance, not to mention our TPS reports  ;D, errrrr.... daily bureaucratic duties.     After 5PM, our time is essentially our own, but we cannot leave the station.   In the evenings at work, I generally work out while watching sports.    All the while, we answer alarms.   My station went out 2100 times last year.   Being the Lieutenant, I have to spend between 10 and 25 minutes writing up a report on each alarm.    There are days where nothing happens.   Those are looked on as victories, because there are far more days when we are running from alarm to alarm.    There is no rush that compares to going from a dead sleep to into a burning building in less than 5 minutes.   I'm not going to go all Keefe here, so I will stop now.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
Re: Hours worked
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2014, 07:32:14 PM »
For the record, shift starts at 0700.   From 0730-1700, we train, inspect, shovel hydrants (endlessly this month), install smoke detectors, tour buildings, do machine and station maintenance, not to mention our TPS reports  ;D, errrrr.... daily bureaucratic duties.     After 5PM, our time is essentially our own, but we cannot leave the station.   In the evenings at work, I generally work out while watching sports.    All the while, we answer alarms.   My station went out 2100 times last year.   Being the Lieutenant, I have to spend between 10 and 25 minutes writing up a report on each alarm.    There are days where nothing happens.   Those are looked on as victories, because there are far more days when we are running from alarm to alarm.    There is no rush that compares to going from a dead sleep to into a burning building in less than 5 minutes.   I'm not going to go all Keefe here, so I will stop now.  

I think you forgot inspection.  I may be wrong.  One of my Dad's pet peeves.