[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hours worked  (Read 8772 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Hours worked
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 09:59:23 PM »
Actual hours worked...as an educator?
Other than 40+ hour weeks in the classroom, technology is now encroaching into the evenings.
It used to be that you'd grade and plan after school or at night, but now Google Docs need editing, emails need answering, etc.

Not sure what grade(s) you're involved with, but I saw an interesting article the other day. Basically a new(?) teaching style that involves doing the homework/projects in the classrooms with the teachers, while the lectures are done at home through youtube/video. Thoughts?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 10:31:41 PM »
Not sure what grade(s) you're involved with, but I saw an interesting article the other day. Basically a new(?) teaching style that involves doing the homework/projects in the classrooms with the teachers, while the lectures are done at home through youtube/video. Thoughts?

Understood it was not directed at me, but I was aware of this new method of teaching and had some comments.

Called Flipping.  In general I'm not a fan.  Students attention is not on those types of videos at home.  They do learn some in the classroom, but not as much as if they had to struggle on their own at home.

This type of teaching is somewhat necessitated by the advent of technology where any homework/projects are available somewhere on the internet.  Students become great at finding the answer on the web and never learn to think or do the problems on their own.  

Best method is all homework/projects are constructed in a way that there are not answers directly available on the web as they are created by the instructor.  Too much time and effort though for the instructor.

As for number of hours worked, too many.  An easy week is around 60 per week, well over 3000 hours a year.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:33:50 PM by forgetful »

brandx

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 10:56:33 PM »
Understood it was not directed at me, but I was aware of this new method of teaching and had some comments.

Called Flipping.  In general I'm not a fan.  Students attention is not on those types of videos at home.  They do learn some in the classroom, but not as much as if they had to struggle on their own at home.

This type of teaching is somewhat necessitated by the advent of technology where any homework/projects are available somewhere on the internet.  Students become great at finding the answer on the web and never learn to think or do the problems on their own.  

Best method is all homework/projects are constructed in a way that there are not answers directly available on the web as they are created by the instructor.  Too much time and effort though for the instructor.

As for number of hours worked, too many.  An easy week is around 60 per week, well over 3000 hours a year.

Good post.

Hard to know exactly at what age kids should be able to use the internet for answers as opposed to figuring out/thinking about something on their own. But back in pre-historic times when I was in school, we used the library and we looked for the answers in a book so I don't know if using the web is all that different.

As far as watching videos at home, I have to agree with your thoughts. Only the good students are going to put un the time to watch this stuff.

My daughter is a teacher and seems like every time I see her, she wants to bounce ideas off me. Told her she needs to let things go a bit and now here I am talking issues again.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 11:33:47 PM »
I do not care for flipped classrooms as well. The kids love it because they get to be with a computer.

If you teach in a community where students all are internet savvy, have internet connections at home as well as laptops, computers, etc., and understand that watching the videos are important for the lesson then flipped can work.

jesmu84 is right in that assignments are going to have to be layered with *gasp* depth of knowledge questions (Common Core speak). It's a good thing: more than basic knowledge (which is important) and focuses on critical thinking.

But back in pre-historic times when I was in school, we used the library and we looked for the answers in a book so I don't know if using the web is all that different.

My daughter is a teacher and seems like every time I see her, she wants to bounce ideas off me. Told her she needs to let things go a bit and now here I am talking issues again.

The best part of a library is that while you're looking for your book or information, you may see something else of interest, open it, and immerse yourself in a world of knowledge.

Now? Type it in Google, search for it, and get the answer. Done. Or so they think.

I'm glad your daughter is a teacher. It's a noble profession.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:39:38 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 11:47:21 PM »
I think I need to inform everyone here that time spent on MUScoop does not count as "Hours Worked", so I'm automatically deducting 10 hours per week from what everyone has been listing :)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 06:42:26 AM »
Enough of the boring stuff - how much do you guys make?!

I used to be comfortable up into the 70's for hours in a week... now once I get into the low 70's I become (more) useless. Over the years I have become a BIG fan of sleep and working less.

My guy ZFB gets paid for performance. $1.28 per bottle of Dasani sold at Admirals games. Two weeks ago he sold 72!!

The thing about firemen is they have to be comfortable making out with dudes. It's part of the training I have heard.

Ice Mountain pay more or less/bottle?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 09:02:58 AM »
I think I need to inform everyone here that time spent on MUScoop does not count as "Hours Worked", so I'm automatically deducting 10 hours per week from what everyone has been listing :)

Right - interesting you say that because I wanted to start a slightly different thread a couple days ago, asking this:

What do you people really do all day?  I get that we all have jobs (I'm at work right now) and that we all work hard (yada yada yada), but really, are we all working while checking SCOOP 100 times a day at work?  So do you like do 20 minutes of work and then be like, man I should check all the unread posts on SCOOP (which will take 20 minutes). 

So is it really like 20 miunutes on, 20 minutes off?  Just constant checking of SCOOP and all other internet resources that you check throughout the day? 

At work is actually the only time I look at SCOOP.  Maybe occassionly while I'm watching a game...

But the internet certainly provides a lot of times for employees to not get work done!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 09:08:47 AM »
So if we cut the tax rate, the off shore money is coming back to the US...right?!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Actual hours worked...as an educator?
Other than 40+ hour weeks in the classroom, technology is now encroaching into the evenings.
It used to be that you'd grade and plan after school or at night, but now Google Docs need editing, emails need answering, etc.

The money flows to where the rates are.  Always does and always will.  That is the job of the tax guys at Fortune 500 companies, to find the best rates.  If the rates come down, the money flows.  Apple doesn't park money in Ireland because they are big fans of the Shamrock, they park it there because of the rates.  That didn't happen until their rates went down, just as they park other dollars elsewhere due to the rates.  Google, no different. 

There is a reason people move to states with low or no income taxes.  There is a reason why Los Angeles is falling over themselves to give Hollywood ZERO taxes or next to zero if they film here because the film industry is getting such great deals to film elsewhere in this country...tax incentives work, that's why gov'ts use them. If they didn't work, they wouldn't use them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
Right - interesting you say that because I wanted to start a slightly different thread a couple days ago, asking this:

What do you people really do all day?  I get that we all have jobs (I'm at work right now) and that we all work hard (yada yada yada), but really, are we all working while checking SCOOP 100 times a day at work?  So do you like do 20 minutes of work and then be like, man I should check all the unread posts on SCOOP (which will take 20 minutes). 

So is it really like 20 miunutes on, 20 minutes off?  Just constant checking of SCOOP and all other internet resources that you check throughout the day? 

At work is actually the only time I look at SCOOP.  Maybe occassionly while I'm watching a game...

But the internet certainly provides a lot of times for employees to not get work done!

I check scoop in bunches....on for a bit, off for a bit.  Right now I'm at home, eating breakfast, getting ready for the drive in.  Usually tied up in meetings all morning, then if I have 15 minutes to spare, will read Scoop.  During lunch, usually post something.   Get home, eat dinner, post something or wait until end of night after kids are in bed, etc.  I have to breaks from work, whether it is Scoop, watch a game, play with the dog and kids, my attention span is short.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 09:38:34 AM »
got about 25 hours a week.  the internet has really killed the peep show industry, so there isn't as much jizz-mopping to do anymore.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 11:15:18 AM »
TedTalk with Salman Khan (Khan academy), who I believe is the godfather of the "flipped classroom"

http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »
Work 24, off 24, work 24, off 24, work 24, off 4 days.    3 24 hour shifts every nine days.   Great for a Thursday morning tee time, bad for having compatible time with a wife working a traditional 40 hour week.     The EMT issue is a jurisdiction by jurisdiction decision.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 11:32:58 AM »
I do not care for flipped classrooms as well. The kids love it because they get to be with a computer.

If you teach in a community where students all are internet savvy, have internet connections at home as well as laptops, computers, etc., and understand that watching the videos are important for the lesson then flipped can work.

jesmu84 is right in that assignments are going to have to be layered with *gasp* depth of knowledge questions (Common Core speak). It's a good thing: more than basic knowledge (which is important) and focuses on critical thinking.

The best part of a library is that while you're looking for your book or information, you may see something else of interest, open it, and immerse yourself in a world of knowledge.

Now? Type it in Google, search for it, and get the answer. Done. Or so they think.

I'm glad your daughter is a teacher. It's a noble profession.

My brother is a physics teacher, he and I are both very early adopters of technology, it's fascinating to see how he is leveraging technology in the learning process.  He creates interactive videos for lectures on various topics and posts them.  He uses a smart board and his laptop to record his actual lectures in class and distribute them for review.  He can track who accesses what and for how long and will factor that into some of his grading/activity planning.  He also has essentially a double blind system via google that allows his students to email/text him with questions and comments that the rest of the class can also see.

Test results are not the be all and end all, but the number of AP students that have scored a 3 or higher in physics have quadrupled since he started employing his technology concepts.  By the way he works in one of the more economically disadvantages suburbs in Chicago area so they aren't awash in a sea of cash either.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 01:21:42 PM »
I work 60-70 hours a week from May thru October. 30 hours a week outside of that.

I'm lucky enough to work for a upper management that doesn't do parking lot checks. I have a laptop and can work from anywhere and often do. Our sister company who does the exact same thing however have to be in their offices from 7-5 during the winter months, which blows my mind.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »
I work 60-70 hours a week from May thru October. 30 hours a week outside of that.

I'm lucky enough to work for a upper management that doesn't do parking lot checks. I have a laptop and can work from anywhere and often do. Our sister company who does the exact same thing however have to be in their offices from 7-5 during the winter months, which blows my mind.

they give you a laptop to use on the riding mower?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 02:33:11 PM »
they give you a laptop to use on the riding mower?

Only when the blades are turned off, safety first.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »
Work 24, off 24, work 24, off 24, work 24, off 4 days.    3 24 hour shifts every nine days.   Great for a Thursday morning tee time, bad for having compatible time with a wife working a traditional 40 hour week.     The EMT issue is a jurisdiction by jurisdiction decision.   

My father was a Chicago Fire Fighter then Engineer and his schedule was 24 on 48 off 24 on 48 off and then every 5th working day was off and was called a "Daley" which he would have 5 days off in a row.  Funny where that name came from.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 03:13:10 PM »
Less than 40 hours per week.  Feel like I'm dreaming.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 03:37:25 PM »
Despite my Scoop addiction, I actually work quite a bit.  I do a lot of work at home.  Writing.  Answering emails.  Brainstorming.

I have very few interests outside of work.  No hobbies really outside of working out most days a week.  I hang with the family...work...watch sports...sleep.  Oh I'll cook a meal here and there, and go out with family and/or friends on the weekend.  But that's about it.

As I tell my wife, I am working all the time, but sometimes harder than others.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 04:36:29 PM »
It's all about productivity not hours worked - I watch some people on my team routinely do a project in hours that takes some people days. 

Of course - those that are highly productive AND work a ton - get a ton of stuff done, look way better than peers and get promoted, achieve bonuses, etc.

I work from home so have high flexibility in terms on how and when things get done.   But also have a role that always has "long term projects" on the plate that makes me feel like I should always be working.    I have to manage it and not let my catholic guilt get in the way...   but also have customer meetings, management meetings and travel that impacts the schedule...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 04:51:23 PM »
It's all about productivity not hours worked - I watch some people on my team routinely do a project in hours that takes some people days. 

Of course - those that are highly productive AND work a ton - get a ton of stuff done, look way better than peers and get promoted, achieve bonuses, etc.

I think this is one of the keys for me.  Simple example, watching some people typing emails with the hunt and peck model and I can type 40 wpm...I'm just way more productive.  Same thing with technology, adapting to it earlier than others I can get way more done with little to no additional effort.  Should I work more than I do is the question, as they is always more work to be done.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »
edited - just a rehash on the "productive" hours vs non-productive hours...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:33:45 PM by madtownwarrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »

Got it, thanks.  I would gather at times that is a dream schedule and at times very problematic.  Thanks for doing what you do.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »

IMHO - there are too many folks in corporate america that work way too many unproductive hours...

That's fair. It all comes down to what you have to do.  There are guys that have specific reports they have to crank out every day.  They know exactly what has to be done, each and every day.  Might as well be an assembly line.

Other jobs, like mine, has a small mix of that, but much more in strategy, reacting to conditions, putting together plans\processes\etc to get ahead of perceived red flags ahead, etc.  That can lead to very unstructured days followed by very structured ones. 

So it all depends on one's role, etc.  Tower talked about sometimes at the station they relax, watch tv, cook dinner, etc.  Waiting for a call to come in.  I suppose they could be polishing the chrome on their rigs, practicing some rescue attempts, etc, etc.   I'm quite positive they have to do all that stuff anyway, but my point is you can probably make that comment about most roles in terms of efficiency and productivity.  People are still people, not robots.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 06:49:40 PM »

I work from home so have high flexibility in terms on how and when things get done.   But also have a role that always has "long term projects" on the plate that makes me feel like I should always be working.    I have to manage it and not let my catholic guilt get in the way...   but also have customer meetings, management meetings and travel that impacts the schedule...

I know you clarify it with the next line, but two of my pet peeves from people that work less hours is when they say its not how much you work, but your productivity while you work.

And.  Ohhh you work a lot of hours, you should just be more efficient.

Lots of people at the top of their profession (as you note) both are extremely efficient and work a ton of hours.  Some professions require both efficiency and long hours, otherwise you will get run over by your competition.