[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pizza Joints  (Read 11576 times)

only a warrior

• Team Captain
Re: Pizza Joints
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 11:10:52 AM »
What about Wales on Wells pizza??  Short lived

St. Louis pizza?? Please - it sucks with all that provolone on it that sticks all over the teeth.

Milwaukee pizza - definitely Balisteri's in Tosa

Chicago - I'd vote for Aurelios...

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 01:53:35 PM »
St. Louis pizza?? Please - it sucks with all that provolone on it that sticks all over the teeth.

I am surprised by the number of people with a knowledge of St. Louis' favorite Imo's Pizza, even if it have been like 3 people. It makes me wonder if you are St. Louisans or just remember from a trip you took there?

If St. Louisans, then answer for me the St. Louis Question.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 02:17:10 PM »
Barbierre's On BlueMound...DiMarini's in Bay View and Fillipio's on Becher are all quite good. Barbierre's is top my choice.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 02:40:46 PM »
Well first off New York Style and Boston style are both far superior to Chicago style Pizza and for this reason there is not a single good New York style you can get in Milwaukee. I bet you would make a fortune if you did. You can call this East coast bias if you like. Basically for me the best place for pizza was the closest place I was to when I was drunk or that would deliver any time of day. Take this from a guy who used to weight 4 Bills.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »
Chicago - is pequods and Lou Malnati's neck and neck, Ginos is not in the conversation.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 11:22:30 AM »
I am surprised by the number of people with a knowledge of St. Louis' favorite Imo's Pizza, even if it have been like 3 people. It makes me wonder if you are St. Louisans or just remember from a trip you took there?

If St. Louisans, then answer for me the St. Louis Question.

I know that the question is where did you go to high school....but sadly I didn't go to high school in St. Louis (although I come from a SLUH family...my dad and all his brothers went there). I was born there, as were my parents and extended family. Moved to Wisconsin when I was 2 or 3....but we visit family all the time and always get an Imo's pizza while we're there.

Also a huge Cardinals fan...and it always takes some explaining as to why I root for the Cardinals and the Packers. St. Louis didn't have a football team when I was growing up... and the Rams came after my loyalties had been established (Plus there is just something about Lambeau).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:26:04 AM by ReneeRowarrior »

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 11:10:59 PM »
In Milwaukee-
I am throwning it out there:
Pizza Shuttle on Prospect, north of Brady. It may not necessarily be the best pizza but the options that PShu has for toppings really puts it on the list. I'm an everything except anchovies or pineapple so they do all right. Plus the rest of the menu allows you to enjoy some good wings or stuff with your pizza as well. Also Toppers has great cheese bread/sticks.  I'm not saying ths is necessarily the best pizza but it's really good.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 02:41:16 AM »
Pizza shuttle has a really big menu and cheap beer ($3 for a 20 oz. of Spotted Cow last time I was there) so I'll give them props for that but their pizza is mediocre.

Toppers stix (cheese bread) are awesome....pizza is decent but nothing amazing
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 02:42:58 AM by ReneeRowarrior »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 08:15:30 PM »
In Milwaukee-
I am throwning it out there:
Pizza Shuttle on Prospect, north of Brady. It may not necessarily be the best pizza but the options that PShu has for toppings really puts it on the list. I'm an everything except anchovies or pineapple so they do all right. Plus the rest of the menu allows you to enjoy some good wings or stuff with your pizza as well. Also Toppers has great cheese bread/sticks.  I'm not saying ths is necessarily the best pizza but it's really good.

plus the shut will deliver at 3 am and you can talk the delivery guy into doing keg stands with you.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 08:30:08 PM »
In Milwaukee area... Ricardo's in Greendale
In Chicago... Lou Malnati's sausage pizza... no better any where.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2009, 09:35:26 PM »
I grew up in NYC and live in MKE now, so I'm always jonesing for a slice, NY-style. Whoever said above that nothing around here comes close is right. I just got back from the city, and had a slice of Famous Original Ray's, which is my vote for best pizza in the universe. (Famiglia in NY used to be better before they became a chain and touristy).

When I'm settling here, Zaffiro's is great for a thin crust, and I've been pretty partial to Toppers lately for "regular" pizza.

I lived in Chicago briefly, and was partial to Gino's East and Bellona's, a little hole in the wall near my place on the NW side when I was there.

By the way, I heard that there was a "NY style" pizza place near MU now, in the 2040 I think. Has anyone been there? Any good? Anything close?

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 10:33:30 PM »
Milwaukee - Zaffiro's and Balistreri's, hands down. Lisa's near UWM gets the honorable mention.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2009, 10:36:04 PM »

By the way, I heard that there was a "NY style" pizza place near MU now, in the 2040 I think. Has anyone been there? Any good? Anything close?

It's called "Sal's Pizza" and it's on the ground level inside the 2040 Lofts building. Decent. Nothing fantastic, but it's cheeeeap.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2009, 11:05:43 PM »
Sal's regular NY style is pretty decent but their stuffed pieces are really good...I would recommend those. And yeah you get a lot of food... perfect for late night drunken feasts

MUPig

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 07:25:51 AM »
Pepino's Pizza in Brookfield - although those greasy pepperoni pizzas at Angelo's are pretty good if you have a few Miller Lite's in you

Aurelio's in Chicago (thin crust)

Gino's East - deep dish

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 01:35:18 PM »
Pepino's Pizza in Brookfield - although those greasy pepperoni pizzas at Angelo's are pretty good if you have a few Miller Lite's in you

Aurelio's in Chicago (thin crust)

Gino's East - deep dish

There is a Pepino's in MF. you really think the pizza is that good? I think its alright, prob the best thing on the menu and maybe even the best in MF, but not really worth it? 

Angelos may be the best pizza directly on campus

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
+1000 on the Aurelio's.  They sponsored my little league team in Hammond, IN. 

In Milwaukee, I'll give two thumbs up to Palermo Villa on the East Side, good sauce, chewy crust... Very tasty.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2009, 05:26:09 PM »
anyone remember Jake's in the NW suburbs?  that was good.

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 07:54:34 PM »

I personally love the pizza at the Calderone Club  -

Olive Pit would be my second choice

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 04:55:28 PM »

Chicago - I'd vote for Aurelios...

I am very lucky to have an Aurelios close to my house in Saint Paul. 

In Chicago...NW side and burbs....Suparossa...stuffed pizza with sausage is the best pizza ever.  And before you say it, I will admit that yes I am biased about the pizza I grew up with.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2009, 09:59:31 PM »
Zaffiro's - none better for thin crust...

Thick - Gino's East in Chicago

Robyrd5

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2009, 08:05:13 AM »
Classic Slice in Bay View (corner of KK and California). Their monster-sized slices are pretty good for NY style.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2009, 01:00:35 PM »
Balistreri's in Tosa for Milwaukee...

Lakerz in Oconomowoc for out of the city

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2009, 05:04:30 PM »
Sal's regular NY style is pretty decent but their stuffed pieces are really good...I would recommend those. And yeah you get a lot of food... perfect for late night drunken feasts

Two words:  Garlic knot.

My favorite pizza is homemade (think thicker crust more delicious that papa john's); after that giordano's/gino's (there's no close lou malnati's to me)

in milwaukee: Sal's is pretty darn tasty and has cool varieties (lasagna pizza, white pizza, buffalo chicken, barbeque chicken, etc); Riverfront is good for some thin crust, agree on Zaffiro's and Balistreri's; i do enjoy pizza shuttle and their specialty pizzas are pretty amazing.  Campus staple would be Papa John's hands down if only for the seductively low prices (angelo's definitely requires a buzz to consider buying 2/2 extreme greasiness)

The best pizza's in Italy, though!

ReneeRow, I too am former St. Louis toddler, ha ha.  oh how my parents would complain about the lack of decent pizza (maybe the scene's change in the past few decades??)  sadly i do not like the cardinals or the packers :D

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »
Great topic! My best for thin crust:

Zaffiro's - ....the canned mushrooms are a downer, but the pizza is superb
Lisa's - If pepperoni is your choice this is the best!
Antonio's Upper Crust - the best sausage...more of a hand-tossed crust on the edge
Transfer - a newer joint in Walker's point. The garlic sauced pizzas are amazing.
Calderone Club - A local "franchise". Very good.