[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bye Bye Ziggie's  (Read 14423 times)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
Bye Bye Ziggie's
« on: December 30, 2008, 06:03:17 PM »
 :'(

http://mu-warrior.blogspot.com/

After Tomorrow, Ziggie's Is History
Ziggie's, long a mainstay of the Marquette campus neighborhood, will close for good at the end of the business day tomorrow, December 31, 2008.

Students (and alumni) who are in town might want to make one last trip for a gyro, shish kebab dinner, or whatever was your favorite on the menu.

Ziggie will retire.
The General has taken on a new command.

reinko

• All American
Re: Bye Bye Ziggie's
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 06:06:10 PM »
Damn economy!

BTW this thread is "Hangin' At the Al" worthy.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 06:20:06 PM »
Damn economy!

BTW this thread is "Hangin' At the Al" worthy.

He's not leaving because of the economy. The building in which Ziggies and Sweeney's are/were located was purchased by Marquette last year--it's being converted into a new dorm--and Marquette ended both leases, which is why Sweeney's is in the former China Garden building now. So, in a way, Marquette kind of forced Ziggie out.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 06:26:06 PM »
Sort of.  Sweeney's was on a year-to-year lease in that building.  However, Ziggie's apparently had 6 more years left on his from this Marquette Tribune article from February 2008. 

http://media.www.marquettetribune.org/media/storage/paper1130/news/2008/02/07/News/Businesses.Leases.Not.Renewed.To.Make.Room.For.New.Residence.Hall-3191872.shtml

So my guess is Ziggie's got a buyout of his remaining lease from MU and/or pulled all his money out of the market before the crash (he always had CNBC on and a computer to track his stocks behind his counter going). 
The General has taken on a new command.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »
:'(

http://mu-warrior.blogspot.com/

After Tomorrow, Ziggie's Is History
Ziggie's, long a mainstay of the Marquette campus neighborhood, will close for good at the end of the business day tomorrow, December 31, 2008.

Students (and alumni) who are in town might want to make one last trip for a gyro, shish kebab dinner, or whatever was your favorite on the menu.

Ziggie will retire.

It's about time. That place was so unsanitary...who makes food with a pipe hanging out of their mouth!!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:24:14 PM »
does this mean I have to change my screen name?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 10:28:11 PM »
To what? RIPZiggysFryBoy

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 11:32:56 PM »

You can retire with him...ZiggysCabanaBoy

MUSig54

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 11:36:33 PM »
I miss the pesto gyro panini.

The food was pretty tasty, but made worse by the fact you had to endure Ziggy himself. He also sold us some hookah tobacco once too.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 01:58:15 AM »
The chicken breast sandwich will be missed.  You knew going in it wasn't clean but it was delicious.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 02:06:38 AM »
Also that expansion he added on a few years ago was a crappy decision.  There were two separate counters from which to order, both operated by Ziggie.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 09:06:08 AM »
I think you either hated or loved Ziggy's/Ziggy. I generally don't like people smoking while they cooked my food, and I didn't want to talk politics or world events while I waited for my food, which seemed to take forever. I was a Marquette Gyro or a Louis D's fan (when it was still there) when I needed a grease fix. Also, I remember Ziggy used to advertise a really cheap burger, had to be 99 cents or maybe 79 cents, and then would charge extra for ketchup, mustard, pickles, etc. One day we brought our own ketchup and mustard and Ziggy flipped his lid. It was a long time ago, but I vaguely remember a burger being thrown in what became a very heated exchange. That was the end of Ziggy's for me.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 09:50:48 AM »
I... when I needed a grease fix...

I visited Michaels and enjoyed a delicious Monte Cristo, and sometimes even prepaid.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

JSwarriors08

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 09:55:37 AM »
I quit going to Ziggy's a long time ago.  It could be attributed to any number of terrible experiences, including:

1.  Disgust at the chest hair that was inevitably falling out of his shirt and into my food

2.  Him blowing up at anyone who dared to ask about paying with Marquette cash (I will never forget him trying to introduce Ziggy Points in defiance)

3.  Repeated racist remarks/jokes

4.  Being charged for a cup of water

5.  Waiting an hour for food

6.  Him advocating the aphrodesic effects of his own cooking in graphic detail

7.  Creepy stories about him harassing college women.

Sorry, I'll be sad to see a piece of marquette history go, but I'm not sad to see that piece of history be ziggy.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 11:33:34 AM »
I think you either hated or loved Ziggy's/Ziggy. I generally don't like people smoking while they cooked my food, and I didn't want to talk politics or world events while I waited for my food, which seemed to take forever. I was a Marquette Gyro or a Louis D's fan (when it was still there) when I needed a grease fix. Also, I remember Ziggy used to advertise a really cheap burger, had to be 99 cents or maybe 79 cents, and then would charge extra for ketchup, mustard, pickles, etc. One day we brought our own ketchup and mustard and Ziggy flipped his lid. It was a long time ago, but I vaguely remember a burger being thrown in what became a very heated exchange. That was the end of Ziggy's for me.

Ah, Louis D's...Now THAT was hands down my favorite place to eat on campus! (You know...aside from the Cobeen Hall cafeteria!)

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »
Louie D's was so clutch.  I loved the random DJ equipment, strobe lights and dance floor that were never used.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 12:45:16 PM »
Loius D's had the best Patty Melt around. Being right next door to the Lanche was great. I often ducked out of the Lanche, grabbed a bite at Louis D's and then went back to my Red White and Blue. You didn't even need a coat! 

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 10:50:20 PM »
I was definitely more of a Louis D's and Marquette Gyros fan, probably because I lived on Kilbourn so the walk was shorter.  But I did eat at Ziggie's a couple of times and do recall the aphrodisiac comments, his constant pipe smoking and the occasional racist remarks.

Good Riddance Ziggie. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 01:43:50 AM »
So since September we're +Qdoba, -Webb, -China Garden, -Ziggy's.  I hope they do something with the registrar office once the new building is up.  Overall, the selection of food/other retail on campus is getting even worse.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 07:53:20 AM »
Marquette hates everything they don't own. :)

Steak

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »
So since September we're +Qdoba, -Webb, -China Garden, -Ziggy's.  I hope they do something with the registrar office once the new building is up.  Overall, the selection of food/other retail on campus is getting even worse.

Are you trying to say I'd be willing to eat at the George Webb's, China Garden, or Ziggy's? Fat chance.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 08:05:19 PM »

Why not? You've done it before.

May I suggest:   "ErinAndrew'sThong"
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 08:22:29 PM »

Well, Qdoba is better than the other 3 combined. I've been told that part of the reason that there isn't more of a selection because the non-MU food establishments sign an agreement with MU in order to limit competition on campus. If that's true, then it would make sense for more places to move in soon. Just so long as it isn't another pizza or sub sandwich joint.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 08:29:30 PM »

Why not? You've done it before.

May I suggest:   "ErinAndrew'sThong"

done.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 08:56:15 PM »
Erin Andrew's doesn't wear underwear.   I know, I've had that...

rocky sez: c'mon stone...at least keep it vague for the kiddies.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 11:44:39 PM by rocky_warrior »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 09:09:29 PM »
Are you trying to say I'd be willing to eat at the George Webb's, China Garden, or Ziggy's? Fat chance.

I had eaten at Webb's all of twice, and never at the other two.  What I'm saying is that there's a fair amount of space to put retail businesses that isn't getting used.  They're having fun finding more places to house people, but while they're trying to get more people on campus they're providing them with less places to pick things up and less places to entertain them.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 09:12:05 PM »
done.

Solid man, very solid. l'll just refer to you as EAT for short. BTW, I'm not touching Cold's post at all.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 09:24:28 PM »
MU needs a bar that serves food... and no, the Annex doesn't count. I would have loved a place on campus that I could go to get a beer and cheap bar food.

And I'm not going anywhere near Stone Cold's comment either...

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 09:42:39 PM »
MU needs a bar that serves food... and no, the Annex doesn't count. I would have loved a place on campus that I could go to get a beer and cheap bar food.

And I'm not going anywhere near Stone Cold's comment either...

Agreed. Or something like Buffalo Wild Wings or Saz's. If the Dogg Haus weren't on campus, I'd put in a vote for Portillo's. God knows the Chicago kids would make that an instant goldmine. They have places outside of IL, too, so it's not like they couldn't.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 11:37:55 PM »
China Garden's building is now Sweeney's so don't look for anything to move in there.

The vacancies on campus would be Ziggies (which is next to Cousins Subs), the old OP (which is used for campus activities), and the spaces that will be vacated when the busar's and other offices move to Zibler Hall.  Also I believe a storefront near Murphy's and Real Chili is vacant as well.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 11:43:33 PM »
Also as it comes to Angelo's, I've been there once in my time at Marquette.  My girlfriend and myself went and were the only two in there.  After a few minutes the cops come and ask the waitress for some guy.  The waitress says he isn't there so they start shining their flashlights through the alcohol bottles.  The guy they ask for walks out of the kitchen and the cops question both him and the waitress.

To top it all off, on ESPN which is on all of the tv's the Breaking News graphic appears and the story is "Crean to Indiana".  The cops stopped to watch the news and finally left after a few more questions.

Overall a very shady yet very entertaining experience!  I didn't get their pizza though which I hear from some people is amazing and other people it sucks.

Jules1993MUWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2009, 08:22:51 PM »
I'm saddeened that Ziggies is gone.  I lived across the street from it for 2 years.  Loved their greek salads and was known to eat a gyro on an occassion or two.  He was super nice to my roommate and I.   I drive through MU and barely recognize it now.  1212 is gone, Wells street has changed, etc.  But I did eat at Real Chili for lunch recently.  I'm still recovering from that as there was not a night of drinking prior to the meal

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 08:38:34 PM »
Also as it comes to Angelo's, I've been there once in my time at Marquette.  My girlfriend and myself went and were the only two in there.  After a few minutes the cops come and ask the waitress for some guy.  The waitress says he isn't there so they start shining their flashlights through the alcohol bottles.  The guy they ask for walks out of the kitchen and the cops question both him and the waitress.

To top it all off, on ESPN which is on all of the tv's the Breaking News graphic appears and the story is "Crean to Indiana".  The cops stopped to watch the news and finally left after a few more questions.

Overall a very shady yet very entertaining experience!  I didn't get their pizza though which I hear from some people is amazing and other people it sucks.

angelo's pizza is awesome.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 01:50:58 PM »
Ziggie's was definitely part of my food rotation while at MU. That said, Louie D's was hands down the best. RIP Louie, who passed away in Chicago this past summer.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 08:05:34 PM »
Grebe's, Avalanche, Louis D's and now Ziggies.   Is there anything interesting left by campus?  There is no grit and character left for today's students.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 08:22:55 PM »
Marquette Gyro's has enough grit for the entire campus.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2009, 08:31:48 PM »
Also I believe a storefront near Murphy's and Real Chili is vacant as well.

That's the Holton building.  It used to be a cellphone store before MU bought it, there's vacant apartments upstairs.  MU planned on turning the apartments into sorority housing but that didn't happen.  3-4 years ago a pipe burst up on the 2nd floor and flooded the first floor and basement, basically destroying it.  I don't think anything has been since.

At one point there were rumors that MU planned to buy all the buildings on that block, tear them down and build new apartments.  But that didn't happen, or they haven't managed to buy all the buildings yet.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2009, 08:56:35 PM »
Grebe's, Avalanche, Louis D's and now Ziggies.   Is there anything interesting left by campus?  There is no grit and character left for today's students.

Is the bum still walking the Ave. in the same hat and coat regardless of the weather?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

reinko

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2009, 09:09:10 PM »
I am not sure about said homeless man, but when I was there some guy who liked to go by Troy (because he loved Mr. Aikman) decked out in Cowboys gear in wheelchair constantly played pool at Murphs and Caffery's.

Not only was terrible at pool, he had a knack for sexually harassing female students.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2009, 09:23:38 PM »
I am not sure about said homeless man, but when I was there some guy who liked to go by Troy (because he loved Mr. Aikman) decked out in Cowboys gear in wheelchair constantly played pool at Murphs and Caffery's.

Not only was terrible at pool, he had a knack for sexually harassing female students.

And for pulling a large knife out in the bar. I know he was banned by Molly for a while from Murph's while I was there.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »

and a big buck knife.  (a real knife, not 4ever's kind.)  he was kind of a stroke, but a fun guy to talk to compared to some of the other locals.

I went as "the good bum" one year for halloween.  felt kinda bad afterwards.

is "Bo" the bum still around?  he used to drink lost beers that we found under the couch, on the deck, etc.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 10:00:43 PM »

Is the bum still walking the Ave. in the same hat and coat regardless of the weather?

Bigger guy with a weird walk?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2009, 10:15:42 PM »
This dude kinda shuffled his feet, was unshaven, and was always dressed the same whether it was 90 degrees or zero. When asking for a handout, he'd spit his words at you and you'd get a cheap shower.

Someone said he lived in Madison with his wife and 2 small kids. Thought to be originally from Illinois and had some relatives who are attorneys and MU alums also. Claims to be a Warrior basketball fan, but often has bogus excuses about baptisms and/or weddings that conflict with our games. Also been known to fantasize over blond sideline reporters just trying to do their job.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2009, 10:43:43 PM »
This dude kinda shuffled his feet, was unshaven, and was always dressed the same whether it was 90 degrees or zero. When asking for a handout, he'd spit his words at you and you'd get a cheap shower.

Someone said he lived in Madison with his wife and 2 small kids. Thought to be originally from Illinois and had some relatives who are attorneys and MU alums also. Claims to be a Warrior basketball fan, but often has bogus excuses about baptisms and/or weddings that conflict with our games. Also been known to fantasize over blond sideline reporters just trying to do their job.

Sounds like ZFB.

However, this guy is still around.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »

+1.  I heard stories a couple week ago of all of the different bars and attractions on campus from an alumni who went to school in the mid-late 70's.  He couldn't believe how little there is left and found it perplexing and somewhat disappointing that so many students leave campus for downtown or North Ave. on the weekends when they never used to do that.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 11:04:40 PM »

I love Angelo's pizza.
TT- I can't believe it took you that long to get there. Did you at least get the 107 year old waitress who works most of the day shifts?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2009, 12:55:57 AM »
I love Angelo's pizza.
TT- I can't believe it took you that long to get there. Did you at least get the 107 year old waitress who works most of the day shifts?

Haha she was 90 tops.  But yes.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2009, 01:18:42 AM »

hahahahahah. yes this is guy is most definitely still around. he does laps usually around the block from wisc. to wells, to 17th to 16th.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2009, 06:29:48 AM »

stalker.

LON

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2009, 09:20:39 AM »
+1.  I heard stories a couple week ago of all of the different bars and attractions on campus from an alumni who went to school in the mid-late 70's.  He couldn't believe how little there is left and found it perplexing and somewhat disappointing that so many students leave campus for downtown or North Ave. on the weekends when they never used to do that.

It's because the guy that owns Murphs and Caffs knows he has a monopoly on drinking at MU and accordingly has jacked prices, gone to the corporate way of tracking inventory and basically making them chain bars...

It's cheaper to go out off MU's campus now, kind of sad; especially since the owner (Vitucci) is a huge jag.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2009, 09:39:04 AM »

It's cheaper to go out off MU's campus now, kind of sad; especially since the owner (Vitucci) is a huge jag.

Agreed on Vitucci.  Talk about a douche-chill.  Bring back the Gloc!