[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Report that Prince has died  (Read 18995 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Report that Prince has died
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2016, 10:52:36 PM »
There were thousands of people wearing purple around the MSFT campus today. It is amazing how many people were fans.

I was in heathrow today and the same.  Crazy losing Bowie and Prince this year.  Bad year for the iconic music genius.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2016, 09:46:33 AM »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2016, 11:57:03 AM »
That article says that he was "cremated in an intimate ceremony."  My goodness...I hope that is just sloppy writing.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2016, 12:06:10 PM »
Here is the NFL link to Prince Super Bowl Performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT4Tn5ztwdA
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2016, 12:27:25 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3555292/Prince-s-former-drug-dealer-reveals-extent-addiction.html

wtf? Are you the guy who goes to a wake and brings up the dead's drinking problem?

Here is a news flash: The Grateful Dead, the Stones, Led Zep, Bob Dylan, BB King all did drugs. Their art is what matters.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »
wtf? Are you the guy who goes to a wake and brings up the dead's drinking problem?

Here is a news flash: The Grateful Dead, the Stones, Led Zep, Bob Dylan, BB King all did drugs. Their art is what matters.

Have you ever attended the wake of someone whose cause of death is unknown?
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2016, 12:37:07 PM »

I love the art, unfortunately the art dies young.  So many kids worship these guys, do what these guys do....and end up dead early.  I posted the graphic just the other day, average age of death of a male popular musician...57 years old...the same as Prince.   Sad.  Doesn't take away from the art, but how many people have we lost early due to drugs...athletes, musicians, film, etc?   It is sad.  I'm not putting my head in the sand, we all have our foibles. 

To answer your question, no...not that guy, but if the guy died young, I and others will say what a shame it was and what could have been. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:45:57 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »

No. It was pretty clear the 14 friends I lost in OIF and OEF were killed by IEDs, AK rounds, RPGs, or a helo crashing at night.

But if the cause was unknown I sure as sh1t wouldn't be talking about the possibility of a drug overdose. From your comment I guess you feel that is somehow appropriate. 

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2016, 12:48:59 PM »
I love the art, unfortunately the art dies young.  So many kids worship these guys, do what they guys do....and end up dead early.  I posted the graphic just the other day, average age of death of a male popular musician...57 years old...the same as Prince.   Sad.  Doesn't take away from the art, but how many people have we lost early due to drugs...athletes, musicians, film, etc?   It is sad.  I'm not putting my head in the sand, we all have our foibles. 

To answer your question, no...not that guy, but if the guy died young, I and others will say what a shame it was and what could have been.

I think there is a reason why right brain folks use drugs. As a left brain guy, where method, process, precision, and documentation are crucial, the use of mind altering substances would be counterproductive.

But Jerry Garcia was at his best on acid with a Stratocaster in his hands and I never once was appalled that he was trippin'.

There is a great documentary by Mike Fleiss about Garcia and Weir, The Other One, in which Weir asserts that Garcia's mortality was a victim of cheese burgers and french fries as much as his drug habit.

Garcia was the Dead and there was no Dead without the Electric Kool-Aid zeitgeist.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2016, 12:52:49 PM »
I think there is a reason why right brain folks use drugs. As a left brain guy, where method, process, precision, and documentation are crucial, the use of mind altering substances would be counterproductive.

But Jerry Garcia was at his best on acid with a Stratocaster in his hands and I never once was appalled that he was trippin'.

There is a great documentary by Mike Fleiss about Garcia and Weir, The Other One, in which Weir asserts that Garcia's mortality was a victim of cheese burgers and french fries as much as his drug habit.

Garcia was the Dead and there was no Dead without the Electric Kool-Aid zeitgeist.

I actually agree with some of this, but even guys like Steve Jobs (would you say he is left brain or right brain) used LSD.   Yes, it can potentially take you to a higher plane, but there are plenty of these guys (I'm not saying Prince) that are just morons trying to get high. 

It's sad, in my opinion.  For those of us that love the art, you can argue some of the art was achieved from the usage...I'll give you that.  Certainly not all of it.  Many greats lost very young.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2016, 01:03:35 PM »
Both guys are Minny icons, so special, unique and gifted in each of their fields . Mpls can be real proud of both guys.
When my Dad was with the Mpls junior Jaycees (young business types) they wrote and recorded a pro Mpls 45rpm record...I still have somewhere, which included a catchy tune and the words:
"..Where do the Lakers run six foot four...
Where do the Gophers run up the score...
In Minneapolis Minn..."
Twin City pride, baby

I thought about this when I saw pictures and videos of the tributes in Minneapolis and surrounding areas.

Who would carry the Minny torch now?
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2016, 01:09:16 PM »
I actually agree with some of this, but even guys like Steve Jobs (would you say he is left brain or right brain) used LSD.   Yes, it can potentially take you to a higher plane, but there are plenty of these guys (I'm not saying Prince) that are just morons trying to get high. 

It's sad, in my opinion.  For those of us that love the art, you can argue some of the art was achieved from the usage...I'll give you that.  Certainly not all of it.  Many greats lost very young.

Is the genius of Sid Vicious less biting or sharp-edged without the magnifying glass of heroin? Probably. But would his creative spark been any more prolific without it? We don't have that answer and we never will because of the needle.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2016, 01:10:05 PM »

Who would carry the Minny torch now?

Richard Pitino.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »
Is the genius of Sid Vicious less biting or sharp-edged without the magnifying glass of heroin? Probably. But would his creative spark been any more prolific without it? We don't have that answer and we never will because of the needle.

Correct, we will never know.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
Yup.  I actually grew up at 57th and Russell - went to SW High. But the 70's was the early years of "bussing," which is what they called the early attempts at integrating the schools.  So instead of walking to Susan B. Anthony like my older sibs, I was packed off to The 'hood for seventh and eighth grades.  Good experience. Prince played the piano for the choir some time, as did I.  But he was so much better than me it was laughable.

You and Houston are basically Edina/Richfield kids :)

I actually lived for awhile near where you grew up (not in childhood though)... Armatage, that is. Just barely still in SW Mpls.

I grew up north of 38th...

BTW, at Sabathani Community Center (old Bryant jr hs) next Saturday there is a tribute to Prince.. 1-6pm.  "Prince Block Party"... I might swing through for a minute...

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2016, 09:54:47 PM »
Richard Pitino.

Haha.

My guess is Bob Dylan or Garrison Keillor.
SS Marquette

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2016, 10:19:16 PM »
Haha.

My guess is Bob Dylan or Garrison Keillor.

No Sacar?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:21:04 PM by GooooMarquette »

brandx

« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2016, 10:33:32 PM »

Chicos takes great glee when he can criticize a black man.

Just as he reveled in an illegal immigrant murdering a young girl so he could make a point.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2016, 10:38:26 PM »

ditto +googal ( my five year old grandgirl was asking me today "what is the biggest number?")

We measure/remember each other based on what we have done for the public, society, the rest of the world. What you do to yourself is none of our business,.... until and unless it impacts the other public side...

....oddly, and counter-intuitively, drugs might even enhance/expand musical artistry....the 60s and 70s were heavily fueled by them and they produced more music and innovation than the rest of the last two centuries. The neocortex and thalamus are the two primary areas involved in consciousness, creativity, imagination, etc....certain drugs enhance these areas. You are right, here keefe

Anticipating CBB will see Prince's habit as unconnected to mind expansion or artistry, lets also note...Anxiety and insomnia are patterns we see with the extremely active minds of musical genius ( I am rarely anxious and I sleep well, ...and I am the worst musician on this planet-lol). Madonna, Lady Gaga, Jimi Hendrix, Michael Jackson, Elvis, etc, all suffered this. That Prince self medicated this is of no concern to me especially on his death.

CBB ...I have seen you get totally bent when someone disrespects one your heroes on death, why not understand others are like that too,.... even when the dead arent one of your favs

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2016, 10:52:06 PM »

Yup. I attended the funeral service and wake of an opera singer (knew her live in boyfriend for decades). It was respectful, loving...just great.

Weeks later, I learned it was ruled a suicide. This...Got me thinking a lot...and later arriving at a simple conclusion ...that cause was immaterial, and I am glad not to have known.

Its the memory of her life, and the mutual support among survivors that is important...I'll never ask about the cause again, as it doesnt change the result, and its immaterial as to why I am there. Death/wakes are a celebration of life...whether you drove, walked or took the bus...its the same destination.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:28:52 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »
Yup. I attended the funeral service and wake of an opera singer (knew her live in boyfriend for decades). It was respectful, loving...just great.

Weeks later, I learned it was ruled a suicide. This...Got me thinking a lot...and later arriving at a simple conclusion ...that cause was immaterial, and I am glad not to have known.

Its the memory of her life, and the mutual support among survivors that is important...I'll never ask about the cause again, as it doesnt change the result, and its immaterial as to why I am there. Death/wakes are a celebration of life...whether you drove, walked or took the bus...its the same destination.

Good words here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2016, 09:31:47 AM »

CBB ...I have seen you get totally bent when someone disrespects one your heroes on death, why not understand others are like that too,.... even when the dead arent one of your favs

I happen to love Prince, so I have no clue what you are talking about.    I also stated, if you read, that I can absolutely see the mind expansion component.   If you read, I merely brought up that it is a shame that we have lost talented artists at young ages.  On average, about 20 years earlier than the general public.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2016, 09:34:29 AM »

Agree, should be a celebration of life.   However, I wouldn't call it immaterial at all.  Something may have been able to be done....or more importantly, a life lesson for others especially with suicide for folks that internalize too much, don't seek help and there may have been an answer.  So in a sense I agree that the result is the same (the destination, that's another debate), but I don't agree it is immaterial. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2016, 09:47:27 AM »
I happen to love Prince, so I have no clue what you are talking about.   

You may want to re-read your comments. 

After writing a mere 'RIP' you posted 4 consecutive things about drugs...you can understand why people would come to the conclusion that you want to talk about your topic and not Prince.