'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton Barreling  (Read 13163 times)

frozena pizza

• All American
Re: Creighton Barreling
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2016, 12:12:13 PM »
The announcers were terrible and made numerous mistakes.  When Henry got the technical they never seemed to point out that when he reached his hand behind his knee and caught Zierden's face it was because the ball was between his legs.  Henry kept explaining that to the ref and that's why it was such an awful call.  The announcers never made the point.  Then shortly after that Henry got tangled up with Groselle (I think) as he screened for the shooter and they both went down.  They described it as Henry just shoving Groselle down and I believe even mentioned that it could have been another flagrant foul.  Just awful lazy analysis that seemed pretty consistently pro-Creighton.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2016, 12:21:18 PM »
Is there an announcer scoopers don't hate? Honestly the only one I can think of is Thomas Bilde and I think if we had to listen to him during real games where he has to be objective we'd hate him too.

Love Raft, Bilas, McDonough, actually didn't mind that former Rodent guard (can't recall name) who did a few games a couple seasons ago.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2016, 12:21:53 PM »
How does Haanif not get to the line?
That dude needs to learn to feast from it!
SS Marquette

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2016, 12:37:01 PM »
Love Raft, Bilas, McDonough, actually didn't mind that former Rodent guard (can't recall name) who did a few games a couple seasons ago.

Mike Kelly, and I thought he was great as well
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2016, 12:39:32 PM »
They had a good strategy in that the first half was pretty up tempo and I think wore us out a bit given our short bench with Sandy out and Luke and Traci in foul trouble.  Then late in the game they put on the full court press and went zone to force us to shoot long jumpers when we were dead tired.  Almost worked perfectly for them.
While I respect McDermott as a coach I doubt his switch to full court press was part of a pre-game strategy.  Creighton wasn't making their shots and then came out in the 2nd half and kept turning the ball over leading to easy MU baskets.  Creighton was on the verge of being blown out.  They had to do something.  So I think that McDermott out of desperation went to the full court zone trap and when you do that you typically go to a zone behind it.  It worked and Creighton was having such a tough time scoring that he kind of had to leave it on.  Due to the lack of experience at PG for MU I think some kind of press is almost always a good idea.  Even better considering that Traci picked up his 3rd foul in the first half.  I think the reason MU doesn't see more of this is that we tend to be behind and teams are less likely to use a high risk/high reward defense when they feel they already have the game going their way.  If this team gets better as they seem to be getting we may see more of this over the next games if we are ahead.  We have to no just beat the press but use it to create 3 on 2s going to the basket.  Get Henry the ball behind the press and then drive towards the hoop with Fish available for a dump off or the trailing guards for an open 3.  Success on that will pull a team out of this defense and we can't have them stay in it.  We are too vulnerable.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2016, 12:42:57 PM »
Is there an announcer scoopers don't hate? Honestly the only one I can think of is Thomas Bilde and I think if we had to listen to him during real games where he has to be objective we'd hate him too.
Donny Marshall did a game earlier in the year--his insight was unlike any others I have heard this year.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »
Mike Kelly, and I thought he was great as well

Yep, that's the guy.  Hadn't heard the name in a while, so I did a google search and it appears he got out of broadcasting in 2014.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/mike-kelley-02828673

AccredoJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2016, 12:57:44 PM »
Tough being an MU grad but working at Creighton. That being said good win last night. The reality is we are just a good team in top third of the country. I was lucky enough to sit court side and there was excessive hammering on both ends. These twp programs seem to be on the same path and on par. Both need better recruits, CU has Marcus Foster red shirting who cam over from K State. We definitely need to bring either more Juco's or transfers in. seems top be our weak spot compare to other BE team.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2016, 01:09:12 PM »
Tough being an MU grad but working at Creighton. That being said good win last night. The reality is we are just a good team in top third of the country. I was lucky enough to sit court side and there was excessive hammering on both ends. These twp programs seem to be on the same path and on par. Both need better recruits, CU has Marcus Foster red shirting who cam over from K State. We definitely need to bring either more Juco's or transfers in. seems top be our weak spot compare to other BE team.

Marquette recruits just fine. Recruiting has not been the problem.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2016, 01:14:11 PM »
JJJ had a very good first half

*shaking like a crack fiend*

GIVE US THE ADVANCED STATS, HANK, I KNOW YOU GOT 'EM

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2016, 01:31:29 PM »
The announcers were terrible and made numerous mistakes.

They were just plain awful. Solution to everything was "pound it inside!" You could have four guys open at the three point circle and they'd be screaming to pound it inside.

Where does CBS find these guys?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2016, 01:35:47 PM »

*shaking like a crack fiend*

GIVE US THE ADVANCED STATS, HANK, I KNOW YOU GOT 'EM

I haven't been running the premium advanced player stats this year. Supply is out on that.

All I have is some lower grade player sh*t, like ORtg trends.

The team stats are still high quality, though. I could probably hook that up.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2016, 02:18:07 PM »
I like Stephen Bardo.  He's really good.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2016, 02:37:19 PM »
Wow ... after that game by Henry, we're actually bashing his D?

Luke was out with fouls and Henry had one. The last thing we needed was for him to get a second foul before the end of the half. I wouldn't be surprised if Wojo told him specifically to avoid a foul -- in other words, he'd rather give up the 2 points than get the foul. Coaches have to make that call all the time.

I'm absolutely not saying Henry was a defensive stud. He wasn't. He almost never is. But Creighton has a couple of tough, big bodies. They get some credit, too.

It was a nice win. Not only is any road win nice for MU but any win at all is nice for our boyz.

Let's enjoy the victories, people. And let's enjoy Henry while we have him. We won't see the likes of him again for some time, if ever.

The kid goes for 22 while being mugged all night, and grabs 10 boards -- all "easy," I'm guessing. He hits the huge jumper from the lane and the two clinching FTs. And his defense is what's on a bunch of Scoopers' minds?

I guess I'm just getting to be too damn positive in my old age.

Plus Tax!!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

feedback