* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by brewcity77
[Today at 07:46:52 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 06:44:02 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What I want to see v IUPUI  (Read 3464 times)

tower912

• All American
What I want to see v IUPUI
« on: November 16, 2015, 07:47:07 AM »
1.  A focus on paint touches.   Run the offense through Luke and Henry in the lane.   Force the double team, rotate the ball out of the double team for wide open looks. 
2.  All 10 scholarship players play.   
3.  A willingness to match personnel if necessary, meaning 1 big and 4 quicks.   
4.  Better defending of the high pick and roll by our bigs.
5.   Extended pressure.    The shot clock is shortened.   Make the opponent work to bring the ball up.
6.  An emphasis on finishing through contact.   Missed too many lay ups against Belmont.   
7.  A 20 pt win. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
Re: What I want to see v IUPUI
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 08:17:58 AM »
I want to see them have the discipline to play an effective man defense in the halfcourt.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 09:32:50 AM »
1.  A focus on paint touches.   Run the offense through Luke and Henry in the lane.   Force the double team, rotate the ball out of the double team for wide open looks. 
5.   Extended pressure.    The shot clock is shortened.   Make the opponent work to bring the ball up.
6.  An emphasis on finishing through contact.   Missed too many lay ups against Belmont.   
7.  A 20 pt win.

Because this hints at something else, e.g., all ten schollies playing = we have a big lead?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 10:16:35 AM »
Luke was a major part of that problem.  He does not go to the hoop with authority.  He seems to shy away from contact.  Still not over the mental part of his shoulder injury/surgery...?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 12:02:45 PM »
Luke was a major part of that problem.  He does not go to the hoop with authority.  He seems to shy away from contact.  Still not over the mental part of his shoulder injury/surgery...?

This is what my theory is. Luke came back to early and is still hesitant with the shoulder. A lot of one arm stabbing motions one of the telling signs. True shoulder surgery recovery takes a lot longer .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 12:30:31 PM »
1.  A focus on paint touches.   Run the offense through Luke and Henry in the lane.   Force the double team, rotate the ball out of the double team for wide open looks. 
7.  A 20 pt win.

Who let Buzz come on MU Scoop?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 01:20:09 PM »
With a front line of 6'10" and 6'11" we should be about to dominate the inside or be very very competitive there.  If we do that opens the outside.  Luke and Henry probably should touch the ball on every play

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »
I'd like to see Marquette jump out fast, turn up the D and put this one to bed early.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 01:36:42 PM »
Because this hints at something else, e.g., all ten schollies playing = we have a big lead?

Not to speak for Tower, but if we were hinting at big leads, then we'd probably hope for all the non-scholarship players to play.

Hoping for the scholarship players to play is simply a sign that they're all progressing to the point where the coaching staff feels they merit minutes in OOC against a middling team, i.e. it speaks more to player development than performance.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 01:54:31 PM »
I haven't studied IUPUI's roster.   I think that 8 was too few Friday night.    I thought someone of Wally's size and skill set could have had a role against Belmont.   I don't think Heldt would have helped.    But there are a lot of game coming up.    I would prefer to not burn out the 18 year old wunderkind by playing him 36 mpg against cupcakes.   Also, it could be a small contributing factor to Henry's decision if he rarely actually plays with Wally.   It will hurt the team very little and may help for next year to give Wally some run. 

So, play all 10.   Let's see what Wally can do.   Don't run up massive minute totals against cupcakes. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 01:57:29 PM »
I haven't studied IUPUI's roster.   I think that 8 was too few Friday night.    I thought someone of Wally's size and skill set could have had a role against Belmont.   I don't think Heldt would have helped.    But there are a lot of game coming up.    I would prefer to not burn out the 18 year old wunderkind by playing him 36 mpg against cupcakes.   Also, it could be a small contributing factor to Henry's decision if he rarely actually plays with Wally.   It will hurt the team very little and may help for next year to give Wally some run. 

So, play all 10.   Let's see what Wally can do.   Don't run up massive minute totals against cupcakes. 

Yeah I am with you on the Wally thing.  He is long, athletic and experienced.  I would have thought he could have been valuable against Belmont on the defensive end.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »
1) Winning. Nothing else comes close
2)
3) Experience playing with each other. I want our team to gain the experience of working with other and the discipline to run the right play

Everything else will take care of itself.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 02:15:04 PM »
I’d like to see:

1) a win
2) see 1

I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Go Warriors.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 02:21:21 PM »
Their tallest player is 6'8". Instead of paint touches I'm gonna opt for the phrase pound the rock. Get Luke and Henry involved early and often.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 02:57:39 PM »
I want to see better defense. I really hope to see IUPUI try going back door like Belmont did so effectively with Bradds, and I want to see our guys adjust to it. I want to see better three point shooting. I want to see our bigs actually play like bigs. I want to see Luke finish through contact. Above all, I want a win, because while Belmont may not be a resume killer, losing any of our non-conference games outside of Iowa will definitely put a dent in the resume.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »
Their tallest player is 6'8". Instead of paint touches I'm gonna opt for the phrase pound the rock. Get Luke and Henry involved early and often.

I agree with this, but I'd feel a lot better about this team if I saw us hit a bunch of 3s in some game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 02:59:16 PM »
I agree with this, but I'd feel a lot better about this team if I saw us hit a bunch of 3s in some game.
Get used to disappointment.   

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 03:00:30 PM »
Not likely to happen, but to not look past these guys and to the Iowa game on Thursday.

GoldenEagles1990

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 03:00:35 PM »
I'd like to see Henry stop shooting the 3.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 03:06:04 PM »

Not only is the tallest player 6"8 but both of their bigs are very foul prone. At least they were before they transferred from Loyola
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 03:08:05 PM »
I want to see better defense. I really hope to see IUPUI try going back door like Belmont did so effectively with Bradds, and I want to see our guys adjust to it. I want to see better three point shooting. I want to see our bigs actually play like bigs. I want to see Luke finish through contact. Above all, I want a win, because while Belmont may not be a resume killer, losing any of our non-conference games outside of Iowa will definitely put a dent in the resume.

I don't think loses @ Wisconsin or vs. LSU are resume killers, either.  But losses too all of  Belmont,Iowa,Wisconsin, and LSU would be bad, only because no real quality win.  Best win would be ASU (assuming we both lose the tourney opener, and we can beat them).

Or maybe you meant non-conference home games.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 03:08:42 PM »
I'd like to see Henry stop shooting the 3.

Unlikely, but i'd definitely like to see him only shoot it when he's wide open.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 03:25:54 PM »
I want to see Henry taking the foul line jumper.  The foul line jumper was there on the last play before he got called for charging.    It will be there against a 2-3 zone.    If he makes the 15-17 ft jumper consistently, it opens up so much.    Only shoot wide open 3's.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 03:36:41 PM »
One thing I was hoping to see from Luke this year is a better understanding of his size when he's defending in the paint. He had a bad habit of blatantly bringing his arms down on shooters last year making it all too easy of a call for refs. He did the same thing in the second half against Belmont in a situation where he clearly had the upper hand given his position and size. It is only one game, though, so who knows.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 04:06:37 PM »
I'd like to see us guard the pick and roll better.  If the IUPUI coach does any prep at all he will see Belmont getting layup after layup off that simple play.  I assume they'll try this.
I'd like to see a performance from Luke like ASU last year when he protected the rim  with several blocks of guys that had beat their man and play offense like a real low post center.
I'd like to see Traci show us that he has the ability to breakdown a half court defense, drive and then dish to the bigs.  I know MU will look good when they run but I want to see if they can beat a team in the half court.
Finally in general making a bunch of 3s doesn't impress me because I know teams have hot days and cold days.  BUT if IUPUI packs it in like Belmont did and dares MU to shot from the outside I'd like to see enough consistent success on outside shots that they have to come out.

feedback