* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sinking feeling  (Read 7328 times)

tower912

• All American
Sinking feeling
« on: October 17, 2007, 07:27:12 PM »
I have the same sinking feeling that I had before the Michigan St game last year.   We are going to miss out on Schumpert and be scrambling to adequately fill our class.   I don't know why, I just have a bad feeling about this.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ecompt

• All American
Re: Sinking feeling
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:36:21 PM »
you may be right, but any particular reason why you feel this way?

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 07:40:59 PM »
Wow what a loser attitude...I hope you are wrong, but even if you are right the sun will come up the day after and the MU program will persevere.  MU has and will continue to attract some top rate guards.  In fact show me another school that has had as good a string of point guards as MU over the past 30 years.  Not sure you can.  If Iman wants to add his name to that illustrious list than that would be fantastic...if he does not than what a wonderful opportunity to another kid.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 08:25:57 PM »
MU has and will continue to attract some top rate guards.  In fact show me another school that has had as good a string of point guards as MU over the past 30 years.  Not sure you can.  If Iman wants to add his name to that illustrious list than that would be fantastic...if he does not than what a wonderful opportunity to another kid.

Agreed on MU's ability to attract great guards.  If not Shumpert, TC has demonstrated an ability to fill his roster with terrific guards.  Keep the faith.

However, watch for GT here with Shumpert.  I am surprised there has not much buzz about GT with Iman --  so many threads all over the place about MU and UNC leading the race. I don't see it that way, particularly because GT might be PG University. And Shumpert wants to play the point.

To your point about other programs with has good a string of PGs as MU in the last 30 yrs.......GT has remarkable tradition at the PG slot:  Mark Price, Kenny Anderson, Travis Best, Drew Barry, Stephon Marbury, Tony Akins, Jarrett Jack, and Crittendon.

Is GT 'point guard university'?  They present a strong case.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:36:04 PM »
I have the same sinking feeling that I had before the Michigan St game last year.   We are going to miss out on Schumpert and be scrambling to adequately fill our class.   I don't know why, I just have a bad feeling about this.

Well, damn, Kreskin. If you've got a sinking feeling, then we're doomed. Thanks for letting us know.

Look, if the kid wants to play somewhere else, great. If he wants to come to Marquette, awesome. Either way, it isn't something anyone should get upset about. He seems like a bright kid. If that's true, he'll come to MU.
We Are Marquette

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
whatever he chooses, best of luck to him. I think MU has more to offer from a basketball standpoint than GT. More TV exposure in bigger cities, closer to his home for his parents to watch games, etc. If he chooses GT, so be it. Hope he does more with his education there than Marbury did.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 07:59:45 AM »
if he does want to be a pg, what a better situation than MU?
DJ leaves, Acker is starter, Iman gets minutes at pg and sg and is the man in a year or so...

of course, who knows with 18 year olds out of HS...
logic goes out the window

good luck MU fans

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 08:28:09 AM »
if he does want to be a pg, what a better situation than MU?
DJ leaves, Acker is starter, Iman gets minutes at pg and sg and is the man in a year or so...

of course, who knows with 18 year olds out of HS...
logic goes out the window

good luck MU fans

If DJ leaves Iman is the man and MoAck is the backup.  His value is in the differences he brings.

He plays 1,2,3 years and leaves early like DJ and DWade
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Wow what a loser attitude...I hope you are wrong, but even if you are right the sun will come up the day after and the MU program will persevere.  MU has and will continue to attract some top rate guards.  In fact show me another school that has had as good a string of point guards as MU over the past 30 years.  Not sure you can.  If Iman wants to add his name to that illustrious list than that would be fantastic...if he does not than what a wonderful opportunity to another kid.

North Carolina ;)
Just a sample of those who play(ed) in the NBA: Felton, Ford, Williams, Smith, McInnis, Kuester, Brown

AND Arizona
Just another sample of those who play(ed) in the NBA: Arenas, Bibby, Kerr, Reeves, Stoudamire, Williams, Terry

Who can MU say play(ed) PG in the NBA? Not many, that's for sure. The quality AND quantity surely lacked compared to these guys. In fact - before Diener - Tony Smith would be the last PG that would qualify: a span of 14 years or so between their debuts.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:13:49 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 09:11:26 AM »
FWIW - I'm excited for Shumpert's decision - we have a great chance.

I agree with NY - I think it's either MU or GT.  Iman has said he wants to play PG severa times, and at UNC he'd be put in a shooting guards roll.

On that front, there was virtually no press following his official visit to GT because he was so disgusted with the problems caused by the media after the UNC visit.

GT may also have a history of great guards, but Marquette has some big advantages too:
 - Crean has shown he knows how develop guards for the NBA
 - By all accounts, MM went great
 - He has a chance to play close to home in a major (*super*) conference
 - Good chance of being the starting PG next year (DJ goes pro...)

As for academics, MU may be the lowest ranked of the three, but all three schools are very good, so I think that point becomes a non-factor. 

I also like the fact that he scheduled Marquette last of his official visits.  I donno - just a gut feel, but I think we'll all be happy by the end of the day :)

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 09:25:14 AM »

Who can MU say play(ed) PG in the NBA? Not many, that's for sure. The quality AND quantity surely lacked compared to these guys. In fact - before Diener - Tony Smith would be the last PG that would qualify: a span of 14 years or so between their debuts.

I think the issue isn't how many PGs the SCHOOL has generated over a long period of time--it's how many the COACH has developed.

Crean has brough in two players as primary PG--Diener and James.  Diener is already in the league.  James was just named one of the top 5 PGs in the NCAA.

I don't see  any reason that Georgia Tech would get credit for PGs that were developed under Bobby Cremmins, nor do I see any reason why MU would be penalized for lack of success under Dukiet or Deane. 

Iman is selecting a school based on who the coach is today.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 09:34:43 AM »
Were I a betting man, I'd probably put my money on GT here as well. Find out soon enough I guess.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 10:47:51 AM »

I won't lie, I'm not very optimistic but that comes from the sinking feeling I've become accustomed to as a life-long Cubs fan.

If we get him I will be ecstatic!

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 10:52:41 AM »
Crean has brough in two players as primary PG--Diener and James.  Diener is already in the league.  James was just named one of the top 5 PGs in the NCAA.

Where are Brandon Bell and Karon Bradley? Weren't they brought in as point guards?

I say we WILL get Shumpert, by the way. I am an optimist!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 10:54:57 AM »

Where are Brandon Bell and Karon Bradley? Weren't they brought in as point guards?

I say we WILL get Shumpert, by the way. I am an optimist!

Here's the question (and I risk opening a can or worms):

Are you going to be critical of the coaching staff and specifically coach Crean if they don't land shumpert? Or are you satisfied with the effort they have put in?

Go on record right now.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 11:01:49 AM »
Are you going to be critical of the coaching staff and specifically coach Crean if they don't land shumpert? Or are you satisfied with the effort they have put in?

I am more than satisfied with the effort Crean put into Shumpert.  He showed up in a hummer limo to Shumpert's house at the first possible moment (literally) and brought Dwayne Wade to Marquette Madness undoubtly to help the cause. 

I'd have to say Crean pulled out all the stops and if he doesn't chose Marquette he simply feels another college is a better fit for him.  In no way did Crean blow this.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 11:08:05 AM »
I said over the last 30 years....additioanlly I do not always  consider an NBA necessary to validate a tremendous college career.  

Therefore given the parameters I actually used we might just have a few more than Diener and Tony Smith....do you follow Mu basketball?

My List would include Boylan, Butch Lee, Doc Rivers, Worthen, Tony Smith,Tony Miller, Henry, Diener and James.  You could even trow in a few others during that period and even before.  Lee, Rivers, Worthen, Smith nad Diener all played in the NBA, James will too.  Boylan won a NAtional title as a point guard.  Miller had as impressive a PG career as anyone who has ever played college basketball...both results wise and statistically.  We could even go farther back to 35 years and mention a few all-american point guards that played in the NBA.   Arizona and GT has a nice 15-20 year run ...MU's is more like 35-40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 11:22:08 AM »
I think Crean has pulled out all the stops with Iman, as evidenced by bringing in DWade at MM.  And that I'm sure was just the tip of the iceburg of the effort he and staff made.

I believe MU is in a very good position to land this kid which historically is unusual as Iman has no direct ties to Wisconsin or Marquette.  His serious consideration of MU IMHO shows that the school and coaching staff are moving in the right direction.  Now we need to land this kid and start landing more of them in the future.

There are no more moral victories for Crean and staff.  The better the talent, the harder it is to land him. Just gotta get the job done.  

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 11:38:42 AM »

I am more than satisfied with the effort Crean put into Shumpert.  He showed up in a hummer limo to Shumpert's house at the first possible moment (literally) and brought Dwayne Wade to Marquette Madness undoubtly to help the cause. 

I'd have to say Crean pulled out all the stops and if he doesn't chose Marquette he simply feels another college is a better fit for him.  In no way did Crean blow this.

Yep, I agree.

MU has put in a hell of an effort.

At the end of the day, this is a results driven business... so effort isn't everything.

BUT, in this instance you have to give the MU staff credit... 120:01am meeting, Dwade, etc. MU may not be the right schools for Iman (something he has to decide), but MU has certainly made it as attractive as possible.

PRN, do you want to go on record before Shumpert announces?

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 11:50:56 AM »
Do you think that TC would get an early read on his decision?  His reaction/mood/unavailability/presence in Chicago could be an early indicator???

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 12:10:29 PM »
Do you think that TC would get an early read on his decision?  His reaction/mood/unavailability/presence in Chicago could be an early indicator???

Don't look for Crean's presence in Chicago to be an indicator.  He'll be in New York city meeting with alums.  It's been planned for months.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 12:14:11 PM »
If there is something that TC could have done and stayed within the rules, I can't think what it might be.   No,  if we lose Iman, it won't be from lack of effort. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
crean in nyc
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 12:24:31 PM »

Crean is in NYC tonight to speak at an alumni event......i'll be there - - registration starts at 6:30 EDT, the sessions at 7:30pm EDT, so we'll know by the time TC talks
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:32:12 PM by NYWarrior »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 06:39:47 PM »
Stupid gut feeling.

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 07:21:03 PM »

Get off our board.
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 07:41:25 PM »
All in all, I think missing out on a guy like Shumpert hurts MU. But it's not like it sinks the program. It would have, however, launched us into another tier of schools that are capable of landing a national prospect.

At the end of the day, though, I'd say that Crean and MU have done pretty well with three and four star recruits. The sky is not falling MU fans. We just got kicked in the nuts today, that's all.

And hey, GT is a great PG school. After reading about Shumpert and him being close to home, I will say I was overly optimistic he was coming here. Oh well. I'm sure MU won't have trouble filling the 1 and 2, what with the school's history. Crean and his staff may just have to work harder coaching a guy "up" that's all. That and it leaves less wiggle room for failure from a recruiting standpoint.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 09:43:43 PM »
my disappointment isn't that we lost a pg, rather that we lost the top recruit out of Illinois (as well as top 15 player in country)- we get tremendous coverage in Chicago papers (usually better than in Mil urinal) because of Illinois players.  When DW3 was here we had 'indepth' coverage. 
In the last few years we've lost the top WI recruits (to UW, Louisville) and now top IL.  Of course we had plenty of guards..., but then, why consider us at all?  We didn't suddenly spring them on IS.
The prestige of landing such a highly rated player would have been huge, and the 'domino effect' on others would have been great.  That's what hurts.