Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What attributes do you want in a new coach?  (Read 5713 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: What attributes do you want in a new coach?
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2021, 11:39:37 AM »
Instead of candidates, what attributes do you want a coach to have?

Here is my list:

**Understanding of current analytics related to how the game is played.  Emphasis on shooting, lack of turnovers, etc.
**Play with pace.
**Recruit nationwide but need to win back the local recruiting scene.

I would love Nate Oats.  Absolutely love the way his teams play.  But that's not realistic.  Give me someone LIKE Oats.  I don't know who that is though.

What attributes do I want in a coach? I want a coach that wins games at a high level. As long as they are still keeping score, I want a coach who wins. Big East Regular Season Titles, NCAA Titles, NCAA Games, Non-Conference Games, Rivalry Games, Conference Tourney Games, other tourney games.

With that said as the most important attribute...

I want a staff/program more than just a coach. I want one that recruits at a high level, with balance, lateral quickness, some players with the ability to create one's own shot while also s
being able to stay in front of their man on defense. I want team fundamentals, ball handling, passing, high free throw shooting percentages, 3 point shooting, mid range, paint scoring, decision making.

I want a variety of targeted game plans with a variety of in game adjustments, often changing when necessary. i want a team that can play and win at a variety of pace and tempo. I want balance but balance can come in a variety of ways as opposed to equal in all facets. I want strong individual and team player development.

I want a coach that will exhaust all resources and geographies for players and staff.

I want a coach, staff, team that is always learning something new. i want a coach that adjusts to different personnel.

That's a pretty good start.

feedback