Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Does Wojo Need a Hank?

Yes
52 (63.4%)
No
18 (22%)
It's Hopeless
12 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Does Wojo Need a Hank?  (Read 7040 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Does Wojo Need a Hank?
« on: November 19, 2016, 07:46:18 AM »
At this point, Wojo seems to need his Hank.

For you youngsters out there, Hank was Hank Raymonds, Al's Number 1 Assistant. Hank was passed over for the head coaching job in 1964 in favor of Al. He stayed as #1 assistant throughout Al's reign and was the guy that Al admitted organized the practices, ran the practices, put in the offense and defense etc. He was Al's Xs and Os guys.

Buzz had the same thing in Jerry Wainwright. We got good under Buzz when Wainwright joined the staff and added some support for Buzz.

Wojo has a couple of guys who are as young as he is. OK, his Hank may not play ball with the boys at lunch, but whoever it is knows something about college basketball. Is Steve Lavin out there?

Bottom line: Wojo has the talent thing down. He is a year away from having a team full of "his" talent. The talent is there but molding it into something that consistently wins against comparable to better opponents is still a weakness.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Does Wojo Need a Hank?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:29:35 AM »
Was talking about this last night. Too much young blood on the roster. Would be good to get a grizzled veteran on the bench. Not sure who you let go. Stan is the man. I hear lots of good things about Nelson's work with the guards. And Carrawell and Wojo are close I believe. I think Carrawell would be the choice but could Wojo bring himself to do that?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »
Unsure what role Carrawell has. Recruiting is definitely not a primary responsibility

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »
IMO Hank's reputation was greatly enhanced by Al wanting to be known as a non X's and O's guy. Truth be told Al was the complete package and he made Hank's role appear far greater than it actually was. Hank was great man and great addition to the program in many ways but I cannot sit here and say he was a major difference factor in the greatest era of MU ball.

All that said, I would prefer a high level D1 PG over anything else. Carter is not the answer and I would give Howard a ton of minutes.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 09:35:04 AM »
Bottom line: Wojo has the talent thing down. He is a year away from having a team full of "his" talent.

If he can't pull things together with this team, especially with seniors Fischer, JJJ and Reinhardt, I have no clue as to what Wojo anticipates next year with his talent.  After watching the first four games this year, I would predict a starting lineup consisting of:

Hauser PF
Cain SF
Heldt C (he may last seven minutes before getting two fouls)
Cheatham
Howard, Carter, Rowsey at PG, since at this stage Wojo doesn't even know.

That leaves Duane Wilson at 6ft2 to spell Cain, like he has been doing for JJJ so far
                 Theo John to spell Heldt
                 Current 12th man Cohen and red shirt Sacar to spell Hauser
                 Recruit Ike, who many say is project, maybe he get better in a year

Unless Wojo picks up a JUCO or grad player with some size, next year may be worse.

Some colleges believe that having younger coaches relates into the players having better relationships with the players.  No clue if that is MU's criteria, but yes a veteran coach, especially with a defense plan, would probably be beneficial. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 12:53:38 PM »
IMO Hank's reputation was greatly enhanced by Al wanting to be known as a non X's and O's guy. Truth be told Al was the complete package and he made Hank's role appear far greater than it actually was. Hank was great man and great addition to the program in many ways but I cannot sit here and say he was a major difference factor in the greatest era of MU ball.

All that said, I would prefer a high level D1 PG over anything else. Carter is not the answer and I would give Howard a ton of minutes.

Goose

You are absolutely correct. If Hank wasn't the guy in 64 he wasn't the guy in 77.

Al played up Hank's role but we would have been just as successful without him.

The single biggest mistake in MU history was giving Hank the job. Denny Crum, among many others, were salivating for the Marquette job.

Buzz can coach but he is an insufferable  a$$hole. Wojo isn't an a$$hole but...

Death on call

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 01:35:12 PM »
Goose

You are absolutely correct. If Hank wasn't the guy in 64 he wasn't the guy in 77.

Al played up Hank's role but we would have been just as successful without him.

The single biggest mistake in MU history was giving Hank the job. Denny Crum, among many others, were salivating for the Marquette job.

Buzz can coach but he is an insufferable  a$$hole. Wojo isn't an a$$hole but...

I agree with this analysis.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 01:43:08 PM »
Keefe

A slew of choices to replace Al and that hire altered the fate on the program from day one.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »
Keefe

A slew of choices to replace Al and that hire altered the fate on the program from day one.
I still remember sitting in the stands with a crappy feeling at Market Square after we lost to Miami of Ohio. I knew right then and there we were on the downside of the mountain.

Hank was a great man but only a good coach. We could have done much better.
            ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 03:37:11 PM »

Keefe,

I absolutely agree with you. The demise of MU basketball from an elite program began when Hank became head coach. We have discussed this many times in here.

Marquette went cheap and the rest is history.

Nonetheless, that's not my point. I'm not arguing Wojo needs a succession plan. I'm arguing he needs an older coach who has coached Division 1 to be on the sidelines the way Hank was with Al. Or Jerry was with the Hillbilly. These guys have been around for awhile and usually are looking for a last gig before retirement. He learned a lot under Coach K but a mentor at this point would sure help get him focused and us back to the promised land.
'   

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 03:48:02 PM »
Bottom line: Wojo has the talent thing down. He is a year away from having a team full of "his" talent.

If he can't pull things together with this team, especially with seniors Fischer, JJJ and Reinhardt, I have no clue as to what Wojo anticipates next year with his talent.  After watching the first four games this year, I would predict a starting lineup consisting of:

Hauser PF
Cain SF
Heldt C (he may last seven minutes before getting two fouls)
Cheatham
Howard, Carter, Rowsey at PG, since at this stage Wojo doesn't even know.

That leaves Duane Wilson at 6ft2 to spell Cain, like he has been doing for JJJ so far
                 Theo John to spell Heldt
                 Current 12th man Cohen and red shirt Sacar to spell Hauser
                 Recruit Ike, who many say is project, maybe he get better in a year

Unless Wojo picks up a JUCO or grad player with some size, next year may be worse.

Some colleges believe that having younger coaches relates into the players having better relationships with the players.  No clue if that is MU's criteria, but yes a veteran coach, especially with a defense plan, would probably be beneficial.

Agree. This is the problem with the "be patient" crowd. It ain't getting better next year. Our frontcourt will be made up of underclassmen, and we'll have to be patient. By the time our frontcourt get more experienced, our backcourt will have graduated, and we'll be young at guard again. I guess things will be ironed out by 2020 and we should just respect the process.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 06:18:02 PM »
Agree. This is the problem with the "be patient" crowd. It ain't getting better next year. Our frontcourt will be made up of underclassmen, and we'll have to be patient. By the time our frontcourt get more experienced, our backcourt will have graduated, and we'll be young at guard again. I guess things will be ironed out by 2020 and we should just respect the process.

What is the alternative?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 06:44:53 PM »

What is the alternative?

Good question. All I know is some fans keep calling it a rebuild. I get it. But, this is not football where you have to find 22 guys. Three or four solid players and you can have an awfully good basketball team. This rebuild excuse Dodds and others keep using as an excuse is tired. If we are in the same boat in March as last season then I really think some serious soul searching needs to take place about the program. Plenty of coaches have put together solid teams by year three.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 07:00:01 PM »
Good question. All I know is some fans keep calling it a rebuild. I get it. But, this is not football where you have to find 22 guys. Three or four solid players and you can have an awfully good basketball team. This rebuild excuse Dodds and others keep using as an excuse is tired. If we are in the same boat in March as last season then I really think some serious soul searching needs to take place about the program. Plenty of coaches have put together solid teams by year three.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 07:27:14 PM »
It is a rebuild but I was expecting to be back in the tournament by end of year three. If we don't make it I'll be disappointed. Not fite wojo disappointed. But we will officially be behind schedule.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 08:11:31 PM »

What is the alternative?

That's the thing. I hope Wojo is a great coach, because if he's not we are rebuilding again.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2016, 08:12:57 PM »

Sad but true.

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 08:25:05 PM »
It is a rebuild but I was expecting to be back in the tournament by end of year three. If we don't make it I'll be disappointed. Not fite wojo disappointed. But we will officially be behind schedule.

Definitely agree. 

Buzz didn't leave us in good shape (to say the least), but he also didn't inherit anything better in Blacksburg, and the Hokies are looking lightyears ahead of us right now...
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 08:34:59 PM »
Once again Brother Goose shows us he's forgotten more basketball den any of us will have ever learned. Here's da thang dat pisses me off. Warrior hoops has always been synonymous wit great defense. But, not wit Wojo. His teams haven't shown da ability ta stop any team 'cept for cupcakes. I'm sorry, but a 15 point lead ta me says da game's over, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 10:15:09 PM »
Once again Brother Goose shows us he's forgotten more basketball den any of us will have ever learned. Here's da thang dat pisses me off. Warrior hoops has always been synonymous wit great defense. But, not wit Wojo. His teams haven't shown da ability ta stop any team 'cept for cupcakes. I'm sorry, but a 15 point lead ta me says da game's over, ai na?
Truth. We'd always show up ready to go 15 rounds....not so much anymore.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 10:29:49 PM »
In our glory days, our teams struck fear into the heart of our opponents and most games were won before they even started. Maurice Lucas etc. Guys who you would want to have on your side in a street fight. Heck we even had one guy cut down the nets with a switch blade.

That is why I wanted that Levi Stockard potential recruit. He was an intimidating type of guy who threw running backs and quarterbacks around like they were dolls. 

---Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 10:31:39 PM »
Heck we even had one guy cut down the nets with a switch blade.

Goose Brell. Goose went to Alaska to work on the pipeline.

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 11:26:27 PM »
4ever
Pressure D was, is and always be the best way to win in college ball. We were spoiled back in the day and closet we have come to that was a couple of seasons with the Buzzer. IMO you need a PG that can play lockdown D and score on other end. At the moment MU does not come close in that area.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 06:34:22 AM »
I have yet to see coach consult with his assistants during a time out???
Is that the DUKE way?

Did the team do a kick-out Sat?
Did they "spread " the floor as advertised?  Did they gang rebound as advertised?
How is it that they tend to take 3's without anybody around under the basket to rebound?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 07:24:31 AM »
Heck we even had one guy cut down the nets with a switch blade.

Go look at the tapes of our national championship game. That's what we used in 1977 too!

We are Marquette. We don't cut nets down with scissors and ladders. Our guys do it (again, we hope) on the shoulders of their teammates with switchblades. That's our style.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 10:00:46 AM »
When I first read the title I thought it meant "Hank" as in the dog that was a distraction for the Brewer's awful season the year they "found" him.  We don't need a distraction we need wins, they cure all.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:03:06 AM by warriorstrack »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 10:07:44 AM »
4ever
Pressure D was, is and always be the best way to win in college ball. We were spoiled back in the day and closet we have come to that was a couple of seasons with the Buzzer. IMO you need a PG that can play lockdown D and score on other end. At the moment MU does not come close in that area.

We have discussed the particulars before but Marquette under Al routinely led the nation in fewest points allowed per game. Al's schtick was that he wasn't a tactician but, in fact, he was a brilliant defensive strategist. McGuire devised some of the most effective zones ever. He was an innovator.

Hank could organize an efficient practice. Al created brilliant game plans that began with smothering defense.

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 10:40:23 AM »
We have discussed the particulars before but Marquette under Al routinely led the nation in fewest points allowed per game. Al's schtick was that he wasn't a tactician but, in fact, he was a brilliant defensive strategist. McGuire devised some of the most effective zones ever. He was an innovator.

Hank could organize an efficient practice. Al created brilliant game plans that began with smothering defense.

Marquette's Mosquito Defense was Al's brainchild and legendary.  However, Hank's high post motion offense is still taught, and perhaps more apt today with the three ball now legalized.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 10:52:07 AM »
Dr. Blackheart

Hank brought a lot of good to MU basketball and no one can argue that. The success of the Al era started and ended with the best D in the country. Their D changed games and allowed for easy buckets. In addition, having great talent did not hurt.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2016, 12:12:44 PM »
Dr. Blackheart

Hank brought a lot of good to MU basketball and no one can argue that. The success of the Al era started and ended with the best D in the country. Their D changed games and allowed for easy buckets. In addition, having great talent did not hurt.

Never-the-less, the fact remains that Hank was an offensive innovator.  Altman still runs sets of the high post motion offense at Oregon at times, for example...and the principle of dual (or multiple) guards initiating the play (versus on PG) is a key tenant of all the various motion offenses run today.  UNC relied on Phil Ford to single-handedly run that UNC offense while Lee and Boylan ran Marquette's.  That was very unique back then and a key reason MU was able to win that NC.

Not to forget that as AD, women's sports and athletic fundraising were key initiatives Hank implemented at MU. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 01:29:56 PM »
Dr. BH
We are on same page regarding full body of work by Hank. A very nice man and would be hard pressed to say anything negative about him.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2016, 01:43:03 PM »
Al could break it down, but he let Hank do the prep worK.  John Wooden used to call Hank for bball advice.

Al told a story once how Hank was getting the team ready for a game while he was at Goolsebys knocking down a few. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2016, 04:24:55 PM »
Hank's total contributions to Marquette are significant. My wife knew him rather well and considered him one of the finest gentlemen she had the pleasure to know.

There is no question that Hank knew the game better than every Scooper combined. But he was the right man for the wrong time. Al's personality resonated with the players he attracted to Marquette. He was larger than life and had edge. Hank could not and did not connect with the kids Al was able to bring to campus.

We had kids from Chicago and NYC lining up to play with Al - Scooter and Rodney, Aguirre, Cummings, and Bowie were in the bag until Al resigned. Hank's inability to keep them signaled the beginning of the end of our stay in the College Hoops Penthouse. And make no mistake - our decline was steep and fast.

Instead of the McCrays we were signing the Schlundts and Marquardts.

Hank was a great guy but I would have rather had Denny Crum at the helm.     

Death on call

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2016, 08:33:41 PM »
Definitely agree. 

Buzz didn't leave us in good shape (to say the least), but he also didn't inherit anything better in Blacksburg, and the Hokies are looking lightyears ahead of us right now...

He inherited something a lot worse and the hokies are looking lightyears ahead of us

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 06:56:43 AM »
He inherited something a lot worse and the hokies are looking lightyears ahead of us

But that's exactly what Buzz does. It's what he did here. Quick fix, bandaid and glue, then ride it until the roster falls apart. We knew from the start that Marquette was looking at a long term answer with Wojo. We'll probably see how successful Buzz's model can be longer term, but he's not coming back through that door and was never going to be the guy admin was comfortable with for the long haul.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 11:34:14 AM »
How are they "light years" ahead of us?  They've beaten Maine, High Point and VMI. 

Last year they finished #90 RPI.  We were #110.  Sure they are ahead of us.  Not only because of the points brew makes but because Buzz is a more experienced head coach.  I would expect them to be ahead.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2016, 12:03:02 PM »
because Buzz is a more experienced head coach.

Not sure I would say that a few years constitutes a significantly greater degree of experience.

Bert has VPU further along on a higher trajectory in the same amount of time than Wojo. Both inherited train wrecks and Bert got VPU into the NIT in Year 2. Lunardi and other pundits have VPU among the first four out or last four in for this season's Dance.

I would expect that Marquette, with its far richer tradition and much deeper pockets, would also be part of that conversation. Alas, we are not and likely will not be.

Death on call

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »
Not sure I would say that a few years constitutes a significantly greater degree of experience.

Bert has VPU further along on a higher trajectory in the same amount of time than Wojo. Both inherited train wrecks and Bert got VPU into the NIT in Year 2. Lunardi and other pundits have VPU among the first four out or last four in for this season's Dance.

I would expect that Marquette, with its far richer tradition and much deeper pockets, would also be part of that conversation. Alas, we are not and likely will not be.
In addition VPI performed well agains the top level teams in the ACC. They have a very competitive team under Buzz.
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2016, 12:14:43 PM »

You don't think having seven seasons (six if you only include his years at MU), makes a difference when compared to someone who has none?  Of course it does.  Furthermore, Buzz had a broader bredth of experience working at six other schools before coming to MU.  Wojo worked at only one.  All that matters.

Well in the latest Bracketology that you reference, which was before MU's games in NYC, both Marquette and VPI were in the "First Four Out."

Look, VPI is likely further along.  But "light years?"  Based on an NIT bid?  Cmon...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 12:24:12 PM »

You don't think having seven seasons (six if you only include his years at MU), makes a difference when compared to someone who has none?  Of course it does.  Furthermore, Buzz had a broader bredth of experience working at six other schools before coming to MU.  Wojo worked at only one.  All that matters.

Well in the latest Bracketology that you reference, which was before MU's games in NYC, both Marquette and VPI were in the "First Four Out."

Look, VPI is likely further along.  But "light years?"  Based on an NIT bid?  Cmon...

I didn't say "light years." I said Bert has VPI further along and on a higher trajectory than Wojo does MU.

I agree that Bert has 6/7 more years head coaching experience but that is not the same as comparing Wojo with Boeheim or even Beilein.

Bert is just 44 years old and, until this century, his experience was limited to the far fringes of college basketball. Hell, Steve Smith and Morgan Wootten had more viable and relevant experience at the high school level than Bert did coaching at the "college" level.

And dismiss it all you want but Wojo had two decades experience in college basketball's most successful program. That is why he was hired and it has yet to articulate at Marquette.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 12:49:25 PM »
I didn't say "light years."

#UnleashWally did.  And that is who I initially responded to.

Bert is just 44 years old and, until this century, his experience was limited to the far fringes of college basketball. Hell, Steve Smith and Morgan Wootten had more viable and relevant experience at the high school level than Bert did coaching at the "college" level.

I don't agree with that in the least.  He was working at D1 schools, recruiting D1 athletes, within the bounds of the NCAA regulatory environment.  Much more relevant than a high level high school coach.

And dismiss it all you want but Wojo had two decades experience in college basketball's most successful program. That is why he was hired and it has yet to articulate at Marquette.

I'm not dismissing anything and I agree with you on your last point.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 01:08:17 PM »
IMO, Buzz game to MU far more ready to be a head coach than Wojo.    And not just because he had a year as the head coach at UNO.   IMO, the vagabond existence that Buzz had, the multiple coaches he mentored under, gave him a width and breadth of experience that Wojo doesn't have.    Buzz had run multiple systems and styles and recruited players to play in those styles.    He picked and chose what he wanted from the broad tapestry of basketball he had been exposed to.   He saw what worked and what failed. 
   Wojo only knows the Duke way.    He has never seen any style other than K's.   He has never had to work to put the talent together.   K did that, both at Duke and with the Olympic team.    You can argue that Wojo has worked with more talent, but as a head coach, that is a detriment.    Wojo has never before been part of failure.    And the sustained success was the result of somebody else's leadership.    Failure teaches different, deeper, more important lessons than success.
   It has been my fear about Wojo that he would be unable to grow past his Duke roots, that he would be unable to open his mind to new/different ideas.    Now he is learning that Marquette is not Duke and he has no frame of reference.    So the challenge is laid bare.   Can he grow, adapt, bring his history of success and apply the template to a different team in a different league that is not guaranteed multiple 5 stars.      That is the only question that matters.    If he cannot, he will fail at Marquette. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »
IMO, Buzz game to MU far more ready to be a head coach than Wojo.    And not just because he had a year as the head coach at UNO.   IMO, the vagabond existence that Buzz had, the multiple coaches he mentored under, gave him a width and breadth of experience that Wojo doesn't have.    Buzz had run multiple systems and styles and recruited players to play in those styles.    He picked and chose what he wanted from the broad tapestry of basketball he had been exposed to.   He saw what worked and what failed. 
   Wojo only knows the Duke way.    He has never seen any style other than K's.   He has never had to work to put the talent together.   K did that, both at Duke and with the Olympic team.    You can argue that Wojo has worked with more talent, but as a head coach, that is a detriment.    Wojo has never before been part of failure.    And the sustained success was the result of somebody else's leadership.    Failure teaches different, deeper, more important lessons than success.
   It has been my fear about Wojo that he would be unable to grow past his Duke roots, that he would be unable to open his mind to new/different ideas.    Now he is learning that Marquette is not Duke and he has no frame of reference.    So the challenge is laid bare.   Can he grow, adapt, bring his history of success and apply the template to a different team in a different league that is not guaranteed multiple 5 stars.      That is the only question that matters.    If he cannot, he will fail at Marquette.

I like this analysis. Might explain why so many of the long-time Duke assistants have struggled to succeed or had a longer learning curve. I think the next two years will be very telling. Wojo is certainly getting the players to succeed and starting to create a balanced roster in terms of classes and players. Can he piece it together with less talent? We'll see.

I'm always hopeful, but there are definitely some concerns. Watching inefficient guys like Reinhardt and Henry take the lion's share of shots was frustrating, but we also had early frustrations with Carlino (and Henry) before improvement during the season. The lack of defensive flexibility, especially after seeing a zone can work in 2014-15, is troubling. The hero ball is annoying, but it's still early in the season and we saw against Vandy the offense can work given movement and unselfishness.

Right now, the Georgia game looms huge. Win that and we control our own destiny. Lose that and we'll really need to pick it up come conference play.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »

Reading this,  to which I agree,  I can only draw the conclusion that Wojo needs some veteran on the coaching bench with these varied experiences.  Instead,  he has a very young bench who haven't had the experiences and seen various styles.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2016, 01:29:33 PM »
I cannot say Buzz was better prepared to be HC at all. At the time I thought how in the world could they pick this guy. He might have had  more vagabond life, but far from prepared to be coach at MU IMO.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:36:45 PM by Goose »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2016, 01:34:14 PM »
Reading this,  to which I agree,  I can only draw the conclusion that Wojo needs some veteran on the coaching bench with these varied experiences.  Instead,  he has a very young bench who haven't had the experiences and seen various styles.

Too many friends hired? Maybe a little less focus on the coaches pick up games? Who knows.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »
There was a word that kept escaping me as I wrote my last post.

Adversity.   

Buzz had plenty on his trip up the ladder.    Wojo didn't.   Learning to lead, adapt, handle, cope in the face of failed seasons, failed administrations, learning how to cobble together something out of nothing, bad grades, transfers.      When Duke has a bad year and fails to make the final 4, K went out and got some more 5 stars.     When things went sideways at the places Buzz coached......?     That is how Buzz made a team out of the midgets, how he coped with a team with Otule and Gardner both injured, how he was able to make teams that usually (not always) seemed to overachieve and be more than the sum of their parts.   

I haven't given up on Wojo, but I sure haven't seen the alchemy yet.   

Edit:   What is the complaint about the character of this team so far?     Just a thought.   If this group had gone through one of Buzz's bootcamps, had their bottle of sand upset, and had to learn to problem solve, would this be a better team?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 02:00:27 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 02:10:38 PM »
I'll be honest...I think for so many reasons right now the problem is Reinhardt. The staff brought in a guy from outside and thus far he's taking the lion's share of the shots. He doesn't seem to have the system down as well as the others and when we start going Team Hero Ball, it starts with him.

There's aspects of his game that I like. He fights harder for the ball than I expected, he's fearless, he's a solid defender, but he needs to learn to do those things within the structure of the system. That's on the coaching staff to convey, and there's plenty of time to turn it around, but if he keeps taking a shot every two minutes, we will be in trouble.

And as I mentioned before, his addition drastically reduced our chances to get guys like LG Gill and Kalif Young that were better fits for what the roster needed. I sincerely hope he turns things around. If Katin can make an extra pass or two, some of those balls will come back to him in better position and he'll get his anyway. He just needs to play within the system. Quite a few guys do, but it starts with him.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2016, 02:38:09 PM »
I'll be honest...I think for so many reasons right now the problem is Reinhardt. The staff brought in a guy from outside and thus far he's taking the lion's share of the shots. He doesn't seem to have the system down as well as the others and when we start going Team Hero Ball, it starts with him.

There's aspects of his game that I like. He fights harder for the ball than I expected, he's fearless, he's a solid defender, but he needs to learn to do those things within the structure of the system. That's on the coaching staff to convey, and there's plenty of time to turn it around, but if he keeps taking a shot every two minutes, we will be in trouble.

And as I mentioned before, his addition drastically reduced our chances to get guys like LG Gill and Kalif Young that were better fits for what the roster needed. I sincerely hope he turns things around. If Katin can make an extra pass or two, some of those balls will come back to him in better position and he'll get his anyway. He just needs to play within the system. Quite a few guys do, but it starts with him.
            ---Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2016, 03:20:36 PM »

I don't agree with that in the least.  He was working at D1 schools, recruiting D1 athletes, within the bounds of the NCAA regulatory environment.  Much more relevant than a high level high school coach.

In his prime, Morgan Wootten likely had more in common with high major programs than any of the backwater programs where Bert cut his teeth.

Wootten had genuine working relationships with JT II, K, Lefty, Lou C, Boeheim, and many, many others. Hall of Fame coaches knew Wootten and made a point of seeing him when in the NCR. I rather doubt any of those same men had ever heard of that old guy Bert put on payroll at Marquette (the guy from Navarro College.)

Wootten had to recruit players to his program and played a schedule with national championship implications. His teams played in tournaments around the country against the very best.

It was Wootten's DeMatha team that ended Lew Alcindor's Power Memorial winning streak. Jabbar always said that the two greatest basketball minds he knew were John Wooden and Morgan Wootten. I think that speaks volumes. 

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2016, 03:24:17 PM »
In his prime, Morgan Wootten likely had more in common with high major programs than any of the backwater programs where Bert cut his teeth.

Wootten had genuine working relationships with JT II, K, Lefty, Lou C, Boeheim, and many, many others. Hall of Fame coaches knew Wootten and made a point of seeing him when in the NCR. I rather doubt any of those same men had ever heard of that old guy Bert put on payroll at Marquette (the guy from Navarro College.)

Wootten had to recruit players to his program and played a schedule with national championship implications. His teams played in tournaments around the country against the very best.

It was Wootten's DeMatha team that ended Lew Alcindor's Power Memorial winning streak. Jabbar always said that the two greatest basketball minds he knew were John Wooden and Morgan Wootten. I think that speaks volumes. 

Buzz had more relevant experience for coaching college basketball in 2016 than Morgan Wootten did.  Wootten was a great college basketball coach no doubt, but beating Alcindor's high school team 51 years ago isn't relevant at all to how that would translate to leading a modern, division one college basketball team.

feedback