[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul Stinks....We beat them by 2 in OT  (Read 11595 times)

DaCoach

• Team Captain
DePaul Stinks....We beat them by 2 in OT
« on: February 22, 2014, 04:05:21 PM »
Are we worthy of March Madness? Just be honest with your opinion.
Players win awards but teams win championships

wadesworld

• All American
Re: DePaul Stinks....We beat them by 2 in OT
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 04:07:27 PM »

Well, better than losing to them like St. John's.  Guess they can't go to the NCAA Tournament.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 04:08:19 PM »
gotta take any conference road win you can

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »
Absolutely. We won.

Announcers had it right, we aren't pretty, we aren't eloquent, and we will never blow teams out, but as long as we win, the how does not matter.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 04:18:23 PM »

No, but my answer is based on the fact that we've haven't beaten Villanova, Creighton or St. John's yet and the non-conference season, not one game against a DePaul team that gets pissed each year when our fans outnumber theirs in their home arena.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »
Its not how, its how many.  Style points only matter in figure skating!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 04:19:37 PM »
At this point in the season, you don't care how it looks.  Just get it done.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 04:21:43 PM »
No signature/quality wins--no dancee.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 04:24:33 PM »

Or when other teams you don't like, especially you Rat, barely win...than style, etc, seems to matter a lot.  Weird. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 04:33:12 PM »
Not a tournament team. Belong no where NEAR the NCAAs. Just the simple fact you let a grade school team like DuhPaul take you to overtime, should automatically bar you from the tournament. I'm dead serious. ZERO excuse for allowing that to happen. The scoreboard says they won, but when it's in OT against DuhPaul, it's really a loss.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 04:35:02 PM »
DePaul stunk a few years ago too and we lost to them in Chicago by 1 point.  I think it was their only win in the BE.  I seem to recall we made it to the Sweet 16 that year. Elite 8 or better, here we come!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 04:37:41 PM »
DePaul stunk a few years ago too and we lost to them in Chicago by 1 point.  I think it was their only win in the BE.  I seem to recall we made it to the Sweet 16 that year. Elite 8 or better, here we come!

We didnt make the sweet16 that year we lost to Washington in the opening game on a buzzer beater. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »
Well, better than losing to them like St. John's.  Guess they can't go to the NCAA Tournament.

Might be more merit in beating DePaul, if they still had their best player on the team - Cleveland Melvin - who averaged 16.5 and 7..and was still on team when St. John's played them...

And let's not talk about what happened in our game with St. John's.

This win today was about as underwhelming win as possible...awful team...8 point favorite...and get taken to overtime.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 04:45:18 PM »
We didnt make the sweet16 that year we lost to Washington in the opening game on a buzzer beater. 

oops, you are correct, sir.  I was wrong.  we were a 6 seed and lost to an 11 seed.   that wouldn't be a bad result either.   ;)

Eye

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 04:47:32 PM »
3-1 in final 4 and BET semi's will probably get them in. Do they deserve a bid at 20-13, 11-7? Based on what we remember of the tournament from even 5 years ago, probably not. But in this era of a 68-team field, it'll probably be enough. They gotta fill the field.
GO WARRIORS!

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 01:32:32 AM »
I realize it's hard to be objective as a die hard fan of MU... but regardless of how much we won by, we WON.  Any time you can go on the road in conference play and get a W, it's great no matter who you play or how much you win by.  DePaul beat St. John's and Butler took Nova to OT... so we got the job done no matter how ugly it was.  Let's look ahead now to G'Town in a must win game and get this W on Thursday.  Whether we win this game by 20 or 1 point I won't give a crap... as long as we win.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 01:38:28 AM »

I don't know if we are worthy of making the tourney. I guess we'll all find out soon enough. That stated, the game against DePaul isn't the indicator of our worthiness that you make it out to be. BC stinks and Syracuse lost to them at home. Is Syracuse worthy?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 03:15:04 AM »

And not even really then if the fix is in!
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »

We're pretty bad and only lost to UW by two.

You can't analyze games in a vacuum.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 10:10:50 AM »
We're pretty bad and only lost to UW by two.

You can't analyze games in a vacuum.

?-(   We lost to UW by 6

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 10:13:24 AM »
Not a tournament team. Belong no where NEAR the NCAAs. Just the simple fact you let a grade school team like DuhPaul take you to overtime, should automatically bar you from the tournament. I'm dead serious. ZERO excuse for allowing that to happen. The scoreboard says they won, but when it's in OT against DuhPaul, it's really a loss.

Man, that 2013 Marquette team was really terrible. they shouldn't have gone to the tournament. I mean, come on. They lost to UW-Green Bay and only beat Rutgers by 6. I mean, Rutgers, man.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »
I don't know if we are worthy of making the tourney. I guess we'll all find out soon enough. That stated, the game against DePaul isn't the indicator of our worthiness that you make it out to be. BC stinks and Syracuse lost to them at home. Is Syracuse worthy?
yes, Syracuse is worthy. They have 2 losses--we have 11.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 12:15:08 PM »
While we are at it lets rule out:

Memphis   (Required OT at home to beat Temple...who is worse than Depaul)
SMu         (lost by 7 at home to Temple)
Syracuse  (lost at home to a dreadful Boston College)
UMASS     (Lost to George Mason...again way worse than Depaul)
Dayton     (Lost to a dreadful Rhode Island team)
LSU         (Lost to the same Rhode Island team)
Minn. and UW  (Lost to Northwestern...who lost to Depaul at home)
Colorado   (needed OT at home to beat Washington State)

We can go on and on until we eliminate nearly the entire bracket if we want.  Fact of the matter is, we won...on the road...against a team that had the best game of their season. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 12:17:14 PM »

Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks. In the meantime, this is just a stupid, pointless question.

towncryer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »
If we get selected, we are worthy. 

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »
yes, Syracuse is worthy. They have 2 losses--we have 11.

No s**t! I was pointing out the flaw of using a one game sample to make a general conclusion about a team's worth. Overall performance is a different discussion.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 02:45:06 PM »
Man, that 2013 Marquette team was really terrible. they shouldn't have gone to the tournament. I mean, come on. They lost to UW-Green Bay and only beat Rutgers by 6. I mean, Rutgers, man.

UW-GB and Rutgers are LIGHT years ahead of DuhPaul. DuhPaul doesn't even belong in DI. Letting them take you to OT is as embarrassing an event as you can have as a basketball team, particularly when you are an MU. Now taking a South Florida or something to OT, that's different if you're DuhPaul.

You let DuhPaul take you to OT....stop and think about that for a moment....not Syracuse, not Morgan State, not Savannah State, heck not even Grambling St....but DuhPaul....DUHPaul took you to OT.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2014, 02:53:05 PM »
UW-GB and Rutgers are LIGHT years ahead of DuhPaul. DuhPaul doesn't even belong in DI. Letting them take you to OT is as embarrassing an event as you can have as a basketball team, particularly when you are an MU. Now taking a South Florida or something to OT, that's different if you're DuhPaul.

You let DuhPaul take you to OT....stop and think about that for a moment....not Syracuse, not Morgan State, not Savannah State, heck not even Grambling St....but DuhPaul....DUHPaul took you to OT.

Just stop. 

Syracuse lost to BC at home....Duke lost at Notre Dame...etc. etc. etc.

Bitch after a loss...bitch after a win.  What a great fanbase.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »
What was the crowd breakdown yesterday?  Someone on the DePaul board said 90% MU fans which I find preposterous, but since I wasn't there who knows. 

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 04:07:41 PM »
Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks. In the meantime, this is just a stupid, pointless question.

I humbly apologize for not getting your approval to post this inquiry. I had forgotten you are the moderator of accepted topics.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 04:25:28 PM »

Depaul Beat both Oregon State and Northwestern out of conference.

Oregon State has beaten, Maryland, Stanford, UCLA, this year.
Northwestern has beaten, Indiana, Wisconsin and Minnesota this year.

Depaul is the worst team in our conference, but they would be better than the bottom teams in every one of the power conferences this year.  They are better than they have been in the past.  I think if you put them in the A10, they would be getting bubble talk just like St. Joes and Dayton.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

Depaul is the worst team in our conference, but they would be better than the bottom teams in every one of the power conferences this year.  They are better than they have been in the past.  I think if you put them in the A10, they would be getting bubble talk just like St. Joes and Dayton.

Agree that they are better than in the past...they have some nice freshmen.  I don't agree, however, with the transitive property in sports.  IU beat Wisconsin who beat Virginia, who is in first of the ACC...just doesn't wash.

What do you define as a power conference?  Right now, DePaul has the worst Pomeroy rating of any power conference team out there except Washington State and TCU.  DePaul is bad...improved over last year, but bad.  They've lost 10 straight, 12 of 14 and until yesterday, was being destroyed in most of those losses.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 04:34:47 PM »
I humbly apologize for not getting your approval to post this inquiry. I had forgotten you are the moderator of accepted topics.

Make a dumbass post and you deserve to get called on it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »

Agree that they are better than in the past...they have some nice freshmen.  I don't agree, however, with the transitive property in sports.  IU beat Wisconsin who beat Virginia, who is in first of the ACC...just doesn't wash.

What do you define as a power conference?  Right now, DePaul has the worst Pomeroy rating of any power conference team out there except Washington State and TCU.  DePaul is bad...improved over last year, but bad.  They've lost 10 straight, 12 of 14 and until yesterday, was being destroyed in most of those losses.

Don't agree with the transitive property either.  Just brought up who Oregon State and Northwestern beat for the purpose of indicating they are not slouches either.  Power conferences are:

Big East
B10
B12
Pac12
SEC
ACC
AAC this year

They beat Northwestern at Northwestern so they are better than the bottom of the B10.  They beat Oregon State by 12 so they are better than the bottom of the Pac12. 

RPI wise they are ahead of USC, WSU (PAC), Auburn, South Carolina, Miss St. (SEC), Georgia Tech, Boston College, Virginia Tech (ACC), Houston, Temple, South Florida, Rutgers, UCF (AAC), TCU (B12).

I believe they are better than all the teams in the above paragraph.  I think that is also what makes the job tough for the selection committee this year.

If you took the top 5 teams from the Big East and swapped them with the top 5 of the Big10, ACC, A10, SEC, AAC all 5 of those teams would likely be considered locks for the tournament at this stage.  Top to bottom the Big East is probably the 2nd or 3rd best conference, behind for sure the B12 and then in a battle with the B10 (top heavy) as the next best top to bottom...I'd give the nod to the B10 for greater strength in the middle.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »

You missed Virginia Tech in Pomeroy, but that is one metric, I used RPI above since you love it.  Also if you include the AAC, they are behind Rutgers, UCF, USF.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »

Do you ever say anything besides this post is dumb, or you guys are clowns?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2014, 08:07:15 PM »

Yep. Unfortunately, the volume of dumb posts around here from the whiney bitch brigade lately, make it tough to do much of anything else. I think I have genericaly used the term clown exactly once here in the past several months.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2014, 10:45:43 PM »
Don't agree with the transitive property either.  Just brought up who Oregon State and Northwestern beat for the purpose of indicating they are not slouches either.  Power conferences are:

Big East
B10
B12
Pac12
SEC
ACC
AAC this year

They beat Northwestern at Northwestern so they are better than the bottom of the B10.  They beat Oregon State by 12 so they are better than the bottom of the Pac12. 

RPI wise they are ahead of USC, WSU (PAC), Auburn, South Carolina, Miss St. (SEC), Georgia Tech, Boston College, Virginia Tech (ACC), Houston, Temple, South Florida, Rutgers, UCF (AAC), TCU (B12).

I believe they are better than all the teams in the above paragraph.  I think that is also what makes the job tough for the selection committee this year.

If you took the top 5 teams from the Big East and swapped them with the top 5 of the Big10, ACC, A10, SEC, AAC all 5 of those teams would likely be considered locks for the tournament at this stage.  Top to bottom the Big East is probably the 2nd or 3rd best conference, behind for sure the B12 and then in a battle with the B10 (top heavy) as the next best top to bottom...I'd give the nod to the B10 for greater strength in the middle.

Again, I don't buy into that logic.  Boston College just beat Syracuse at Syracuse, so does that mean using the same logic Boston College is better than the best team in the ACC, when in fact BC is in 2nd to last place in the ACC?  Butler beat MU, so clearly Butler must be better than MU...right?  Of course not.

I would never put the AAC as a power conference, the bottom 5 teams are off the map they are so bad. 

Big East is ranked 4th in the RPI, top to bottom. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2014, 10:48:07 PM »
You missed Virginia Tech in Pomeroy, but that is one metric, I used RPI above since you love it.  Also if you include the AAC, they are behind Rutgers, UCF, USF.

I don't "love" the RPI, I use it because the NCAA selection committee uses it to help determine which teams should get in.  Personally, I like the straight Sagarin the best, but the NCAA doesn't like using systems (at least publicly) that could reward teams for running up the scores.

Thanks for the Va. Tech one, missed it.   I would never consider the AAC....not a power conference and the bottom half of it is really bad.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2014, 10:50:56 PM »
What was the crowd breakdown yesterday?  Someone on the DePaul board said 90% MU fans which I find preposterous, but since I wasn't there who knows. 

40% MU
40% DP
20% just sitting on their hands

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2014, 10:53:23 PM »
IMO, when you have the defending champs and near-blue blood UCONN plus solid teams year in and year out like Cincy, Memphis, and Temple (down year for them), that makes you a power conference, regardless of the bottom-feeders.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2014, 11:04:01 PM »
IMO, when you have the defending champs and near-blue blood UCONN plus solid teams year in and year out like Cincy, Memphis, and Temple (down year for them), that makes you a power conference, regardless of the bottom-feeders.

The conference is rated 8th in the country.  The A-10 is 6th....should the A-10 be a power conference?

I'll be very curious to see how the AAC does in post season this year since they are such a screwy league.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2014, 11:19:14 PM »

who just got knocked off by SMU

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2014, 11:21:04 PM »

Not for long. They will be a tweener conference for years to come. Starting to look a lot like CUSA when MU was in it.

brandx

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2014, 12:16:06 AM »

You can't be serious! They are in last place in a conference with only two ranked teams. If they were in the A10, they would be one of the bottom 4.

Dayton is #52, St. Joe's is #60 in the BPI index. DePaul is #155

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2014, 01:24:00 AM »

I can only chalk up your incivility to either living in your parents basement and not having an opportunity to meet many adults or going through your monthly curse. In either case, your childishness ain't worth noting as anything but a cry for attention.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2014, 01:49:20 AM »
You can't be serious! They are in last place in a conference with only two ranked teams. If they were in the A10, they would be one of the bottom 4.

Dayton is #52, St. Joe's is #60 in the BPI index. DePaul is #155

I could not care less about any index, they have there quirks and flaws.  IMO the A10 is way way over-rated this year.  There is no indication that any of the teams except St. Louis are any good (UMASS is decent but would be battling with us and others for 3rd in our league).  GW is solid in that league and we destroyed them.

The rankings of Dayton and St. Joe's are due to flaws in the system that the A10 historically takes advantage of.  If you put them in our league they would be battling with Butler and DePaul for last.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »
DePaul is now 9-96(!) in Big East play since Buzz took over at Marquette (not that one has anything to do with the other), with their best mark being 3-15 in 2011-12.  It's amazing that anybody still shows up to their games.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »

We're trying to be efficient.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »
DePaul is now 9-96(!) in Big East play since Buzz took over at Marquette (not that one has anything to do with the other), with their best mark being 3-15 in 2011-12.  It's amazing that anybody still shows up to their games.
Did not realize it was that poor. Man that is atrocious, and a far cry from some of their glory years in the 80's. It would definitely make the conference much more competitive for them to improve regularly to at least .500 in conference.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »
We're trying to be efficient.

The other night I saw this drunk pass out and fall flat on his face in the gutter. I thought he was efficient too.

feedback