'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Outcoached  (Read 7304 times)

raul

• Starter
Outcoached
« on: December 31, 2013, 11:56:52 PM »
I like Buzz but I think he was outcoached tonight. The players were outhustled as well. About as bad a beatdown as the OSU game.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
Re: Outcoached
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 12:02:12 AM »
I think what is so frustrating is I don't feel it is an X's and O's problem as much as a stubbornness on personnel.  It just looks so easy for teams to defend us with any combination of Derrick, Jake, Juan or Todd in the game.  I wouldn't mind Derrick being the point with JaJuan, Deonte and Jamil because those three can create their own shot.  However most of the minutes go to guys who can't create for themselves or others......frustrating. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 07:48:20 AM »
I think what is so frustrating is I don't feel it is an X's and O's problem as much as a stubbornness on personnel.  It just looks so easy for teams to defend us with any combination of Derrick, Jake, Juan or Todd in the game.  I wouldn't mind Derrick being the point with JaJuan, Deonte and Jamil because those three can create their own shot.  However most of the minutes go to guys who can't create for themselves or others......frustrating. 
In Buzz we trust.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 08:17:42 AM »

There is talent without experience...and experience that isn't really all that talented.  JJJ and Burton are going to be fine, but they need time.  Our three most experienced back court players simply aren't all that good.  Buzz has limited options IMO.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 08:18:02 AM »
You mean starting a non-productive starting 5 and then playing a zillion different combinations the rest of the game is not a good strategy?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 08:33:24 AM »
Have said it before but I believe it comes down to Buzz being stubborn. Playing guys with limited skills will not get it done. Buzz is a different type of guy and you have to accept both the good and bad side of his style. My only concern is a repeat of our post FF season with TC. Reaching the E8 last year reset the bar of expectations and if we fall too far this season it makes it tougher in the future.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »
Have said it before but I believe it comes down to Buzz being stubborn. Playing guys with limited skills will not get it done. Buzz is a different type of guy and you have to accept both the good and bad side of his style. My only concern is a repeat of our post FF season with TC. Reaching the E8 last year reset the bar of expectations and if we fall too far this season it makes it tougher in the future.

So you think this year's problem is who starts?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 08:42:35 AM »
I could care less if Buzz started Flood. It comes down to playing the guys with best chance to compete and playing them in right combinations.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 08:44:27 AM »
So you think this year's problem is who starts?

The starting line-up is symbolic of Buzz's dogmatic approach to giving minutes to the "hardest workers" and not necessarily the players who give us the best chance to win.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:44:42 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that we simply don't have the combination of experience and talent in the backcourt to win consistently this year.  It really doesn't matter who starts...that isn't going to change.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 08:45:24 AM »
The starting line-up is symbolic of Buzz's dogmatic approach to giving minutes to the "hardest workers" and not necessarily the players who give us the best chance to win.

Mayo and JJJ were pretty much just as poor as the starters last night.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »
I could care less if Buzz started Flood.

I believe we are 5-0 when Flood plays.  Imagine if he started.....hello Final Four!

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 09:21:42 AM »
I believe we are 5-0 when Flood plays.  Imagine if he started.....hello Final Four!

Excellente, Senor!  +10!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 09:28:26 AM »
You mean starting a non-productive starting 5 and then playing a zillion different combinations the rest of the game is not a good strategy?

Our non-productive 5 had 10 points and 5 boards in 21 minutes last night.

If the rest of the team was that non-productive, it would have been a close game.

Overall this season, CO is fourth in the team in minutes played...and fourth in scoring, second in rebounding.  Chris is FAR from the problem.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:32:06 AM by GooooMarquette »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 09:30:59 AM »
I thought the defensive scheme Buzz ran was very effective.   Creighton just made MU pay every time a rotation was less than perfect.   Held a high scoring team to 67.    There aren't miracles sitting on the bench.  He is getting more minutes for Deonte and JJJ.   Dawson isn't ready.    Creighton hit 3's.   MU didn't.   Ballgame. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 09:36:39 AM »
Simply put, ya need some cats who can score the basketball. Don't care what their positions are, but right now, there just aren't any scorers on this team with whom you can win in conference.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 09:48:25 AM »
We play hard, but, if we can't make free throws and we can't make threes and we can't make short shots and we have no fast break, it will be hard to win games period.  It's hard to understand that we are such an awful shooting team.  Does Buzz make the team practice defense with no emphasis on shooting?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 09:54:52 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that we simply don't have the combination of experience and talent in the backcourt to win consistently this year.  It really doesn't matter who starts...that isn't going to change.

Yep.  Unfortunately we're forced to play with at least two young men who are more Horizon League ready than BEast ready.  We'll have to live with that.

The unfortunate thing for me is that because of Duane's injury we might not be able to see next year's backcourt develop over the course of this year.  I can enjoy watching the progress of young guys through the course of a season.  Frankly, I'm now far more interested in watching JJ and Deonte than determining if Davante can finish strong.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 09:59:10 AM »
Teams just pack in the paint to deny us our "paint touches" and dare us to shoot . If we can't or won't we are destined for big  deficits at the beginning of games. Seems just too easy for defenses to keep us out of our offense

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 09:59:39 AM »
Excellente, Senor!  +10!

Id throw Dawson out there also for a couple min a game. No need to burn up a scholarship year riding the bench he might as get some kind of experience be that good or bad. I mean we dont have a world beater back court anyway and off the bench Todd Mayo passes like Eli Manning.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 10:01:30 AM by Nevada233 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 10:01:40 AM »
Id throw Dawson out there also for a couple min a game. No need to burn up a scholarship year riding the bench he might as well red shirt. I mean we dont have a world beater back court anyway.

Seriously are you related to John Dawson?  Because you keep hyping him, and I have seen nothing whatsoever that indicates that he can play at this level at this time.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 10:07:25 AM »

Seriously are you related to John Dawson?  Because you keep hyping him, and I have seen nothing whatsoever that indicates that he can play at this level at this time.

No... Just would like to see the team win. Play flood then. There 5-0 with him. Correct!

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 10:09:03 AM »

But they sky isnt falling and its a long season. No need to overreact by anyone. Im sure itll get better!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »
Dawson isn't ready for significant minutes against good teams.  Jamil is looking better and better at the point.  Neither Todd nor JJJ showed enough last night to warrant starting over Jake.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 10:10:01 AM »

I agree with you on Dawson not being ready to play much...but don't see what harm he could have done in the last five minutes last night.  Maybe a 20 or 22 point loss instead of 18?

feedback