'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: D. Wilson  (Read 6320 times)

avid1010

• All American
D. Wilson
« on: March 02, 2013, 06:45:44 PM »
derrick. wilson seems like a great kid...hard working, carries himself respectfully, etc.  not to rip a college kid, but i just don't see him as the caliber pg we need to replace junior on a team that is only losing two seniors (i hope), and should be even better next year.  think derrick wilson will get the majority of the minutes at the pg spot next year, or will buzz go with duane wilson or vander for a majority of the minutes?  part of my sees vander playing a role similar to what buycks did in his senior year.

ps. someone should put a hand in brian kelly's face...

tower912

• All American
Re: D. Wilson
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 06:47:55 PM »
Let's see who all returns.    DWilson will get minutes.   Does Blue?    Duane Wilson and Dawson are both PG's.    Some combination of those 4.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »
Maybe fist to suckhole?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Big Daddy Z

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:50:35 PM »
WOW he is just in his 1st yr...WTF did you expect. D-Wade was the same his 1st yr, cut him some slack!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:52:16 PM »
WOW he is just in his 1st yr...WTF did you expect. D-Wade was the same his 1st yr, cut him some slack!

Second year.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »
Count brah
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 06:53:36 PM »
1. i have no issues with the kid..said plenty of good things about him...just don't think he's a starting pg in the BEAST/C7
2. he's in his 2nd yr
3. d-wade was not the same --- possibly the worst comparison i've heard for some time.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »
Yeah, Derrick looked terrible when he had to play PG for significant minutes @Pitt earlier this year

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 07:01:19 PM »
Yeah, Derrick looked terrible when he had to play PG for significant minutes @Pitt earlier this year
i thought he looked average and was "serviceable."  he played minutes he wasn't expected to play, and held things together...i'd just like see mu with a pg that at least holds his defender honest.  his line in that game...31 min, 0-3 shooting, 1-2 FT, 2 reb, 1 dime, 1 to, 3 fouls, and 1 point. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 07:02:04 PM »

Well, I know you are being sarcastic.  And while he didn't turn the ball over, he really didn't do anything to get the offense moving.  This is why I go back and forth on him.  I think you have to give him a chance and see what happens.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 07:05:43 PM »
In his favor, he is going to have a lot of weapons.   He knows where the returning players want the ball.    If he just handles distribution, holds onto the ball and plays good defense, I don't care if he averages 4 ppg. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 07:06:52 PM »
Derrick doesn't make too many mistakes but he also hasn't brought much to the table.  He can't score or shoot and doesn't seem to distribute the ball very well.  I think it could be situation where he might start, but if the new Wilson proves something he Duane might get more time from the get go.  

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 07:15:10 PM »
Ok in his role, but don't see how he improves to be a starting/heavy minute player.  Hard worker, just not very talented.  The "doesn't screw up" guy works fine for a backup point guard, but you need a playmaker for the majority of minutes.

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 07:20:19 PM »
After watching Duane play live for 5 games this year, I hope he can transition his game to college. Yea yea he's playing against lesser competition most of the time, but the kid is so smooth. A PG who is extremely athletic and can shoot lights out and create his own shot. I am so exicted for this class next year, not to mention JuJuan Johnson bringing in some serious skill as well.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
Derrick Wilson seems to handle the ball fine.  However, his scoring is a liability and I am still trying to recall an assist from him.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 07:40:53 PM »

Dwayne Wade was a similar player to Derrick Wilson this year in his first year playing for Marquette?  Really?

None of this is to say that Derrick isn't going to play the majority of PG minutes next year.  I think he will surprise.  But, let's not start making ridiculous comparisons.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 07:42:58 PM »
His role since he has been here is to take care of the ball, play tough D, and set up the scorers on the team.  As far as I can tell he's accepted that role and played that role pretty darn well.  If and when his role expands to include becoming a primary scoring option, I think he will be able to handle it, although personally I don't think that will ever be his role with all the other options on the team.  However, the only part of the Florida game I haven't repressed from my memory is his performance, where he was aggressive offensively against a very tough defense.  

I do agree with Sultan that the most concerning thing about him is that much of the time he's not doing much to initiate offense, just passing around the perimeter.  

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »
I remember this conversation a couple of years ago. I believe it may have been titled J. Cadougan.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »
I don't think so...Cadougan was inconsistent as a sophomore, but he showed signs of being a play making point guard.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 08:29:32 PM »
Probably a great guy, great teamate, etc.  But not a BE point guard, especially a starter.  His role, yes role  now under Junior is to give him a two minute breather, fine.  Nothing else.

In 16 BE games this year:

9 total points.
2 for 21 field goal attempts or .095%.

He took one short shot today from the side and attempted to bank it in. Almost missed the entire backboard.  Just not even close to any type of starter due to offensive liability and cannot even come close to comparing him to the earlier Junior or any other previous backup point guard.  

Maybe he pulls a Vander improvement over the summer, but as of this moment.  Not.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 08:36:06 PM »
Probably a great guy, great teamate, etc.  But not a BE point guard, especially a starter.  His role, yes role  now under Junior is to give him a two minute breather, fine.  Nothing else.

9 total points.

He took one short shot today from the side and attempted to bank it in. Almost missed the entire backboard.  Just not even close to any type of starter due to offensive liability and cannot even come close to comparing him to the earlier Junior or any other previous backup point guard.  

Maybe he pulls a Vander improvement over the summer, but as of this moment.  Not.
You obviously don't grasp the definition of "role" or playing within a team concept.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 08:40:51 PM »
You obviously don't grasp the definition of "role" or playing within a team concept.

I get the role thing.  It's his role right now to give Junior a two minute break in first half and a two minute break in second half. 

Pass the ball around and don't make any mistakes until Junior gets back in the game.  And please don't shoot.

No problem with that role. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »

Going 2 for 21 is is role?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 10:29:44 PM »
I remember this conversation a couple of years ago. I believe it may have been titled J. Cadougan.
and in my opinion we have lost a few games this year because junior couldn't manage the teams, take care of the ball, defend the other teams pg, etc.  junior was highly rated coming out of hs, so i it's hard to hold buzz accountable, but it seems like with the style of play mu has we should have solid pg's. the tony miller, tony smith, aaron hutchins, travis diener, DJ type pg's seem to not happen under buzz.  if i look at all the positions he recruits, i'd say it's probably the worst, and that surprises me because pg's are "easier" to get and i'd think they'd want to play mu style ball.  junior has been great for mu...i'd just like to see buzz have an elite pg under him...hopefully duane wilson will be that player.  he certainly doesn't have the glass ceiling that someone with derrick and junior's athleticism puts on them. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 10:33:22 PM »
Very few legitimate national contenders in recent history have had a PG who can't do some special things on offense. If anybody has seen even one sign that Derrick Wilson can be that PG for us next year, I'd like to know what that sign is.

I'm not talking only scoring -- though it would be nice if the PG can do that. It's about facilitating the offense, making the defense respect him so he can make other players better. Again, what has Derrick shown in two years to make anybody believe he can do that.

I'm hoping Duane Wilson is as good as advertised and can play at least 20 minutes a game as a freshman. Buzz almost surely will start Derrick, but Buzz likes to win and as the season progresses he'll play the better PG.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 10:41:13 PM »
Derrick doesn't start once C7BE play begins. Buzz will likely play his in the non-conf phase.

Death on call

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 10:53:49 PM »
Very few legitimate national contenders in recent history have had a PG who can't do some special things on offense. If anybody has seen even one sign that Derrick Wilson can be that PG for us next year, I'd like to know what that sign is.

I'm not talking only scoring -- though it would be nice if the PG can do that. It's about facilitating the offense, making the defense respect him so he can make other players better. Again, what has Derrick shown in two years to make anybody believe he can do that.

I'm hoping Duane Wilson is as good as advertised and can play at least 20 minutes a game as a freshman. Buzz almost surely will start Derrick, but Buzz likes to win and as the season progresses he'll play the better PG.

agreed...the last few years of NCAA tourney champs...

2012 - Kentucky - Marquis Teague - 29th to Chicago
2011 - UCONN - Kemba Walker - 9th overall to Charlotte
2010 - Duke - Nolan Smith - 21st to Portland
2009 - NC - Wayne Ellington - 28th to Minnesota
2008 - Kansas - Chalmers vs Rose - enough said...

it's too bad because i feel like mu is deep and talented enough at each position except pg.  if vander is capable of moving over to pg, it would be huge for mu, and huge for any nba aspirations he may have...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:56:05 PM by avid1010 »

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 11:03:24 PM »
I don't think so...Cadougan was inconsistent as a sophomore, but he showed signs of being a play making point guard.
Wrong. Junior was a disaster as a soph. Wilson is a better player than Junior. Buzz has said as much. The fact that there are a bunch of boobs on here talking about our backup point guard after a win is absurd. We won. And by the way, Junior was invisible. Wilson took a bad shot!

Next year, when he's starting, he will be a better player than Junior.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »

9 total points.

I seem to recall that last year his role was to give Junior a 40 minute breather against Wisconsin... and to get MU a win on the road against a favored team - as a freshman.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 01:08:23 AM »
D. Wilson must improve his offensive game in the off season or he will not start next year. Assist or scoring ability has to improve. From the looks of it, he has a long way to go. If he stays the same offensively and is a starter next year, we will know that Buzz cares more about maturity than talent. And in Wilson's case, maturity with his current talent gets us nowhere.

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 03:02:05 AM »
Was just reading on Wissports....Duane Wilson shot 58% from beyond the arc this year?!?! omg....

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 05:20:06 AM »
We've had a history of players making significant improvement in their 3rd year under Buzz. In the end, Wilson will see a lot of competition for PG next year. I'd prefer to wait until next year and let Coach blend the new with the old before deciding who plays where and for how long.
Players win awards but teams win championships

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 05:39:50 AM »
Going 2 for 21 is is role?
yeah, going 2 for 21 is his role.  that's exactly what I said.  try again.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 05:48:23 AM »

Maybe this is nitpicking...but he definitely did not shoot .095%, he shot 9.5%. There is a vast difference between the two, as the number you put up indicates he hit 2 out of about 2,100 shots. That's a massive difference.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 06:33:12 AM »
Maybe this is nitpicking...but he definitely did not shoot .095%, he shot 9.5%. There is a vast difference between the two, as the number you put up indicates he hit 2 out of about 2,100 shots. That's a massive difference.

OK, get the nails and the crucifix.  Typo, you get the point.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 06:37:12 AM »
Wrong. Junior was a disaster as a soph. Wilson is a better player than Junior.

That is absolutely false.

Junior in 10-11:  19.8 min, 4.0 pts, 42.2% FG, 15.4% 3PFG, 3.2 A, 1.6 TO
Derrick this year: 13.3 min, 1.4 pts, 29.8% FG, 14.3% 3PFG, 1.8 A, 0.6 TO

Junior was better in every category except turnovers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 06:41:13 AM »
yeah, going 2 for 21 is his role.  that's exactly what I said.  try again.

No you used cliches like "team concept."  The fact is that is just gave Junior a break out there.  However he didn't really do all that much.  While I'm not going to bury the guy for the future because of this, I will say that he is going to really have to take a leap to be the PG we need the offense to be next year.  Two more years like this one won't cut it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 06:48:03 AM »
OK, get the nails and the crucifix.  Typo, you get the point.

Nothing personal...just one of those things I see all the time that makes me cringe a bit.

What I really find interesting about this argument is how many people were ready to hand Derrick Wilson the keys back in November and December. It seemed like there was a huge cry for him to get all of Junior's minutes, to the point where Buzz made his statement about how Junior was going to keep the role and that when Derrick was an upperclassman with some young kid sniffing at his PT Buzz would show Derrick the same faith.

What Derrick is right now and what he may be next year could be completely different things. He is a safe player. He doesn't seem to have the court vision that Cadougan does, which hurts him in regards to assists but helps him in that he doesn't try to force things that sometimes simply aren't there (thus June's turnovers). Looking at next year's roster, I expect heavy minutes to go to Blue, Gardner, and Jamil, all guys that if you can get the ball to them have the ability to create their own shot. Mayo can also create, Steve has shown flashes of it, and Juan definitely has the mindset to do it.

That team doesn't need a lottery pick PG to lead it. While it would always be nice to have that caliber of player, I think a safe player is just what the doctor ordered on a team with so many weapons. Derrick will be okay, and likely be better than last year. Give him 25 mpg and I think on that team he can average 5 ppg, 4 apg, and contribute in other ways including with his defense (hopefully as a junior he'll finally stop getting all those ticky-tack calls). If he can do that while averaging under 2 TPG, we can be very good.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 07:01:42 AM »
No you used cliches like "team concept."  The fact is that is just gave Junior a break out there.  However he didn't really do all that much.  While I'm not going to bury the guy for the future because of this, I will say that he is going to really have to take a leap to be the PG we need the offense to be next year.  Two more years like this one won't cut it.

Bottomline is that this will probably be the robust discussion over the team going into next year. Which is a good thing, because all the other pieces appear to be in place at the moment.  Does D. Wilson currently have offensive liabilities, yes.  Does he sometimes commit stupid reach-in fouls away from the basket, yes.  He is aggressive on defense and doesn't appear to make stupid turnover errors. Maybe he is a great teamate and leader behind the scenes.  

Providing Junior with breathers this year is one thing, starting and getting substantial minutes next year is another.  Right now, the kid just plainly doesn't have any outside shot and when on offense, the defenses won't even come up on him.  He doesn't need to become the second coming shooting guru of a Diener, but some improvement is mandatory. I said previously that I hope he improves that aspect over the summer, but if he does not, his role might be the same as this year.  Can't wait till November to see how this one plays out, should be very interesting topic. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 07:03:04 AM »
Bottomline is that this will probably be the robust discussion over the team going into next year. Which is a good thing, because all the other pieces appear to be in place at the moment.  Does D. Wilson currently have offensive liabilities, yes.  Does he sometimes commit stupid reach-in fouls away from the basket, yes.  He is aggressive on defense and doesn't appear to make stupid turnover errors. Maybe he is a great teamate and leader behind the scenes. 

Providing Junior with breathers this year is one thing, starting and getting substantial minutes next year is another.  Right now, the kid just plainly doesn't have any outside shot and when on offense, the defenses won't even come up on him.  He doesn't need to become the second coming shooting guru of a Diener, but some improvement is mandatory. I said previously that I hope he improves that aspect over the summer, but if he does not, his role might be the same as this year.  Can't wait till November to see how this one plays out, should be very interesting topic. 

I agree completely.  Hopefully one of the frosh can step up too so that Buzz has to pick between two strengths.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2013, 08:39:38 AM »
There is no question he will have to expand his game and do a lot more on the court with Junior gone.  If he doesn't he won't play much. 

I guess the difference is that, in my opinion, just because he hasn't shown he can consistently do those things yet doesn't mean he isn't capable and won't be able to in the future. 

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2013, 09:03:48 AM »
This link leads me to think there are some questions about PG on the coaching staff also.  I don't believe it is necessarily a serious look, but a consideration.  Two separate articles on the site mentioning Marquette.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/

1)  Feb 10- Chad Frazier, a 6-4 combo guard out of Gulf Coast State College in Panama City, FL, has seen his recruiting interest surge since de-committing from Oklahoma State. UCLA and Marquette are the latest to reach out and show interest in him. Frazier, a sophomore, has helped lead Gulf Coast to a 21-6 record this season. He is averaging 15.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 1.2 steals per game this season. Frazier’s ability to play both the point and shooting guard positions has attracted schools from high-major conferences across the country.

Frazier will have to figure out a way to narrow down his list because he only has two official visits left. Here is a look at who has offered and who has interest in Frazier (Updated Feb. 11th)

Offers: Gonzaga, Illinois, South Carolina, Alabama, Rhode Island, Texas A&M, TCU, West Virginia, UCF and Washington

Interest: Kansas, UConn, Virginia Tech, NC State, Baylor, Purdue, UCLA, Marquette

2- Feb 17
Chad Frazier of Gulf Coast State has been one of the most sought after unsigned 2013 junior college prospects. He has had interest and/or offers from more than thirty mid and high major programs. Frazier, a 6-4 combo guard, is averaging 16 points, 4 rebounds and 5 assists per game this season and led Gulf Coast to a 19-9 record this season.

Frazier, a former Oklahoma State commit, only has two official visits left. He has narrowed his list down and may line up one of those visits soon. Frazier says he will most likely use one of those official visits on a trip to South Carolina, but no date has been set yet.

Frazier’s List (In no order): Washington, UCF, South Carolina, Texas A&M, West Virginia, Marquette and UCLA

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2013, 09:06:59 AM »
I think he starts early, given his knowledge and experience in Buzz's system.    If DuWilson or Dawson turns out to be Big East ready, then I can see them starting and bringing DeWilson in for stability as the season progresses.    If Vander works on his handle and his court vision, I can also picture Blue getting some minutes at the point, with Mayo at SG and Wilson/Taylor/Juan/JJJ sharing the 3-4.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2013, 11:20:34 AM »
I seem to recall that last year his role was to give Junior a 40 minute breather against Wisconsin... and to get MU a win on the road against a favored team - as a freshman.

Your recollections are hazy.

Wilson played 20 minutes at Wisconsin as a frosh and had this stat line:

0 points on 0-0 shooting, 0 assists, 0 steals. Also had 0 turnovers, as he played it safe on offense. His biggest contribution was his D in helping neutralize Taylor and Gasser.

DJO and Blue played 33 minutes each and Mayo played 24 as Buzz opted to go long stretches without a "typical PG" -- which might give a clue as to some of his plans next season.

As a team, we shot 38% and had only 7 assists on 23 FGs. We sure as heck didn't win the game on our smooth-running offense.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »
Wrong. Junior was a disaster as a soph. Wilson is a better player than Junior. Buzz has said as much. The fact that there are a bunch of boobs on here talking about our backup point guard after a win is absurd. We won. And by the way, Junior was invisible. Wilson took a bad shot!

first, you're wrong about the comparison.

second, it's perfectly normal to talk about a back up pg on a marquette basketball message board.

third, how dare you call junior invisible after a win on senior night...you, you, you...boob

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2013, 11:29:31 AM »
What Derrick is right now and what he may be next year could be completely different things. He is a safe player. He doesn't seem to have the court vision that Cadougan does, which hurts him in regards to assists but helps him in that he doesn't try to force things that sometimes simply aren't there (thus June's turnovers). Looking at next year's roster, I expect heavy minutes to go to Blue, Gardner, and Jamil, all guys that if you can get the ball to them have the ability to create their own shot. Mayo can also create, Steve has shown flashes of it, and Juan definitely has the mindset to do it.

That team doesn't need a lottery pick PG to lead it. While it would always be nice to have that caliber of player, I think a safe player is just what the doctor ordered on a team with so many weapons. Derrick will be okay, and likely be better than last year. Give him 25 mpg and I think on that team he can average 5 ppg, 4 apg, and contribute in other ways including with his defense (hopefully as a junior he'll finally stop getting all those ticky-tack calls). If he can do that while averaging under 2 TPG, we can be very good.

brew: I agree that we'll have enough talent to win plenty of games regardless of who we play at PG, just as we won plenty of games this season when Junior was not at his best.

What I'm saying is that if we really want to be a Final Four team, we need a PG who does more than play to not screw up on offense. If Derrick can develop into a guy who penetrates and kicks while occasionally taking the ball all the way to the rim -- even as he avoids turnovers and plays great D -- well, that would be wonderful. We simply have not seen much evidence that he has the ability to do that.

It would be a bit of a shame if we have championship-level talent at four positions but can't get to the promised land because we lack a top-flight PG.

I guess we'll have to see what happens next year when it gets here. For now, we'll be living and dying with our senior PG. If he has a few weeks of Good Junior left in him, we could have a really fun March. (And April?)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:31:19 AM by MU82 »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »
One thing worth mentioning is Wilson's free throw shooting as well.  He has shot under 50% from the line in both of his seasons.

That absolutely must improve if he is going to get 20+ minutes as a point next season.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2013, 11:52:45 AM »
DWilson is a specialist for Buzz: controls tempo, plays solid and tough D, can drive and kick, spells minutes for Junior

Buzz knows his offensive game isn't his forte and I think he's okay with that.

But is DWil? Is his current progress where he wants to be?

I would guess not and there's nothing like the offseason (for Jamal and Todd) as well as newcomers (Duane and Dawson) to show they can compete for PG minutes with DWil.

He's gonna have to step it up.
SS Marquette

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
One thing worth mentioning is Wilson's free throw shooting as well.  He has shot under 50% from the line in both of his seasons.

That absolutely must improve if he is going to get 20+ minutes as a point next season.

Excellent point. Your PG has the ball at the end of games and is getting fouled constantly. Must be 70%+ and preferably 80%+. (Junior's at 73% but under 70 in conference play, unfortunately.)

nyg

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2013, 02:40:33 PM »
Excellent point. Your PG has the ball at the end of games and is getting fouled constantly. Must be 70%+ and preferably 80%+. (Junior's at 73% but under 70 in conference play, unfortunately.)

After watching the PITT/NOVA game today, coaches do give the keys to freshman point guards.  Robinson from PITT hit two threes to tie and win the game, Ryan A. from NOVA was outstanding in defeat.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2013, 03:20:48 PM »

I think the problem is most don't understand the pg position.  Junior has been a solid pg for MU and I can guarantee you 95% of DI teams would trade for him in a heartbeat, they would not do the same for DWilson right now.  

Junior drives the bus for MU, if you are happy about having a chance to win the Big East, then send Junior a thank you card, because he made it possible.

If you are unhappy that we are not 14-2 in conference play instead of 12-4, it is also fair to criticize Junior, but ask yourself if you are maybe asking too much.

With DWilson running the point, we'd be lucky to be 8-8 right now.  As for Junior as a sophomore, he was good, but not great. Buzz said DWil was outplaying him in practice.  More of a shot at Juniors play in practice than about ability.

Junior was really good on Senior night, in the first half when we drove up the score, Junior played awesome.  He came out for DWil and things were a disaster on offense.  Right now, DWill does not facilitate, does not run the offense and is a shooting liability.  Personally I think he will be improved all around next year. In the 2nd half, Jr took a back seat and just tried to keep things calm (that's also his job).