[May 10, 2024, 10:24:14 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Vander Blue Man Group
[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Teams X-Mas Gift  (Read 11469 times)

wojosdojo

• All American
Teams X-Mas Gift
« on: December 19, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »
Did Buzz buy the entire team iPads for Christmas? I see a few guys including Dave talking about the team getting it. If Buzz did this thats some pretty heavy change coming out of his pocket (cheapest goes for $499). If true, sure shows how much he cares about his guys.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Teams X-Mas Gift
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:18:32 PM »
Should have waited. IPad 2 should be out in January.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:19:46 PM »

Nerd. Nerd. Nerd.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 10:22:11 PM »
DJO, Melo and Buycks have all had their "First tweet from the new Ipad"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 10:24:47 PM »

Yup, with camera built in for face to face.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 10:36:11 PM »
not to be the grinch, but this isnt against NCAA rules... is it? didnt majerus get in trouble for buying a bereaved kid a $15 dinner?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 10:36:18 PM »
Did Buzz buy the entire team iPads for Christmas? I see a few guys including Dave talking about the team getting it. If Buzz did this thats some pretty heavy change coming out of his pocket (cheapest goes for $499). If true, sure shows how much he cares about his guys.

I'd be very careful about this post....a lot of rules about what can and cannot be given to student athletes, both during the recruiting process and when they are already athletes. 

I know some schools are starting to use the iPad and other devices for scouting reports, etc, so it's part of their every day training, etc.  That doesn't mean they are gifts or they even get to keep them.  Not sure what the scoop is here, but I'd be careful with the original post unless all the facts are known.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »
I'm certain the team is just testing the device for Apple's quality control dept.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 10:43:21 PM »
I'd be very careful about this post....a lot of rules about what can and cannot be given to student athletes, both during the recruiting process and when they are already athletes. 

I know some schools are starting to use the iPad and other devices for scouting reports, etc, so it's part of their every day training, etc.  That doesn't mean they are gifts or they even get to keep them.  Not sure what the scoop is here, but I'd be careful with the original post unless all the facts are known.

Well it was a question to begin with, so maybe some people actually have the facts?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 10:44:58 PM »
First sentence was a question and the second sentence talks of Dave and others saying the team got one. 

Seems like a question and a statement.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 10:59:19 PM »
Last year (maybe two years ago?) he bought them all watches for christmas... and I doubt they were cheap. If there were some rule against this I'm sure Buzz would know about it.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 11:05:26 PM »

Agreed. I saw that on twitter as well, but didn't want to post.

I'm assuming that this didn't happen without Compliance signing off, but it certainly raised an eyebrow.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 11:52:36 PM »
Knowing WIAA rules (which is more than likely different than NCAA rules)

But, if you buy something for your player, it is allowed if the player than buys it at the end for at least half price

Wonder if NCAA has something similar.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 11:58:59 PM »
What is the difference between this and the 1000s of CFB players that will be receiving bowl gifts in the coming weeks?  I am sure they MU and Buzz are all smart enough to know what they can and can not do.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 09:43:17 AM »
What is the difference between this and the 1000s of CFB players that will be receiving bowl gifts in the coming weeks?  I am sure they MU and Buzz are all smart enough to know what they can and can not do.

I trust that they know what they're doing too, just makes one wonder. It doesn't have to make sense to be an NCAA violation  ::)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 10:25:44 AM »
If the players are Tweeting that they got iPads then it's safe to assume that it was done within NCAA guidelines...or else MU is just really bad at illegal gift-giving.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 10:45:35 AM »

An interesting gift to get for people he seemed exasperated about in the Centenary post-game. Perhaps 8-3 is all he wanted during the non-con and he felt they deserved such nice product.

Not sure I've ever heard him so demoralized. He seems to genuinely have no clue what to do in breaking through to them on playing a full 40. Three or four times he didn't even finish sentences. Sounds tired.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 10:50:25 AM »

I Could be wrong but I believe the difference is that the Bowl gifts are given as more of an award for their achievement and not as a true gift, whereas the iPads, from what it seems, are straight up gifts.

As Chico said though they may be used with a specific team related purpose (i.e. scouting reports, videos) which I would think would make this ok as they would not belong to the player but as property of Marquette University Basketball.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 10:52:45 AM »
I Could be wrong but I believe the difference is that the Bowl gifts are given as more of an award for their achievement and not as a true gift, whereas the iPads, from what it seems, are straight up gifts.

Ok, we will call it an award for finishing 4th in the CBE Classic.   ;)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 10:55:20 AM »
An interesting gift to get for people he seemed exasperated about in the Centenary post-game. Perhaps 8-3 is all he wanted during the non-con and he felt they deserved such nice product.

Not sure I've ever heard him so demoralized. He seems to genuinely have no clue what to do in breaking through to them on playing a full 40. Three or four times he didn't even finish sentences. Sounds tired.

I still give gifts to my kids even though I get exasperated with them.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 11:09:08 AM »
Really, what Buzz should have done is just given the players cash.  Cash is a much better present.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 11:18:14 AM »
Really, what Buzz should have done is just given the players cash.  Cash is a much better present.

@DwightBuycks shoutout to BuzzWill for makin' it rain!!! gotta get this paper, #MoneyoverBitches!!!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 11:30:43 AM »
#MoneyoverBitches!!!

I hope this replaces GTST
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 11:34:51 AM »
@DwightBuycks shoutout to BuzzWill for makin' it rain!!! gotta get this paper, #MoneyoverBitches!!!

I am way too old to figure out exactly what all of this actually means....but it made me laugh anyway.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 11:36:01 AM »
I hope this replaces GTST

It was under Mo Acker's favorite quote section on Facebook.  

Also on Mo Acker's Facebook profile "Favorite Books": I hate books.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 12:08:03 PM »
Maybe they are officially property of the Athletic Dept. and just given to the players to use.  Do they have to give them back at the end of their time at MU?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »

I still give gifts to my kids even though I get exasperated with them.

+100000. If exasperation were a reason to cancel gifting at Christmas all of China's toy factories would be closed. Sounds like a grim year at the Avalanche household.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
Jus' wondering: In Today's ultra politically correct world, should anybody, let alone a Marquette basketplayer and student be using the word "bitches"? Shades of Don Imus!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 01:22:06 PM »

I've only been 30 for about 6 weeks now, but I'm clearly too old for Twitter. What does the # mean when people tweet?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 01:23:36 PM »
If he were to legally adopt all the players, Buzz could give them whatever he wants.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »
If he were to legally adopt all the players, Buzz could give them whatever he wants.

+1

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 02:25:10 PM »
Wouldn't they also then get tuition waivers?  Making the entire roster walk-ons.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 03:48:31 PM »
If true, sure shows how much he cares about his guys.

This kind of made me laugh. Buying some people expensive gifts "shows how much he cares"? I bet people like Calipari and Pearl make sure their players get hooked up with some pretty nice gifts (or envelopes with cash). Does that mean they care about them?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:51:57 PM by warrior07 »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 05:23:54 PM »
+100000. If exasperation were a reason to cancel gifting at Christmas all of China's toy factories would be closed. Sounds like a grim year at the Avalanche household.

Grim indeed this year.

If only every coach of mediocre output gave great product like this as a gift, the world would be much sweeter. Where have you gone Willy Wonka?  :'(

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 06:03:19 PM »
This kind of made me laugh. Buying some people expensive gifts "shows how much he cares"? I bet people like Calipari and Pearl make sure their players get hooked up with some pretty nice gifts (or envelopes with cash). Does that mean they care about them?

I bet Mrs Chiapet loves the gifts she gets....

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2010, 06:06:06 PM »

Let me know when you realize Buzz is no Calipari nor Pearl.

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2010, 06:45:50 PM »
Let me know when you realize that buying expensive gifts is not the equivalent of "showing how much" a coach, or anyone else, cares.

IWB

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2010, 07:53:24 PM »
Let's make more out of nothing, shall we? These are not Christmas gifts. This isn't Buzz showering the guys with gifts. These are allowed as programs are allowed to give SAs educational tools. With the team on the road so much during the beginning of the second semester, they will be required to do a lot of school work on the road - in hotel rooms, on flights etc. So, do you get each one of them a laptop or an IPad? Same thing.

This is NCAA compliant and also approved through the conference. Also, MU is NOT the first school to do this.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »
Let's make more out of nothing, shall we? These are not Christmas gifts. This isn't Buzz showering the guys with gifts. These are allowed as programs are allowed to give SAs educational tools. With the team on the road so much during the beginning of the second semester, they will be required to do a lot of school work on the road - in hotel rooms, on flights etc. So, do you get each one of them a laptop or an IPad? Same thing.

This is NCAA compliant and also approved through the conference. Also, MU is NOT the first school to do this.

Yeah, but making something negative out of nothing is how some our "fans" roll. Nature of the beast.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2010, 08:37:15 PM »

What about a year or two ago when Buzz bought the whole team watches for christmas? Would that be against any rules?
BEARS STILL SUCK

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

IWB

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2010, 10:36:07 PM »
I have no idea what that was or what the premise was. Was it for Christmas? Here you have people saying Buzz bought them IPads for Christmas, and that is even the title of this thread, and that is clearly not the case at all.

Admittedly knowing nothing about that, how about a basic question? Buzz is a stickler for time and schedule. When you have film meetings, workouts, practice, classes, flights, buses etc, how can you expect kids that have never owned a watch to be on time when the time? Again, not saying that was the case because i really have no idea, but why assume the worst, why can't it be a basic, logical reason, if it happened at all?

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 10:44:17 PM »
I'm not assuming anything. I heard Buzz in an interview a year or two ago say that he bought the team watches for Christmas. I really have no idea what the rules are.

On a side note: if this really were a loop-hole, couldn't calipari just say "those SUV's were needed to get them to practice on time"... or things like that?
BEARS STILL SUCK

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 07:53:59 AM »
Ok, now I'm confused. In one post IWB angrily says that they were educational devices. In a second post IWB angrily says that he doesn't have a clue what they are for but we shouldn't worry. I don't know why he is overreacting so much -- I don't think people actually care that much. I certainly don't; but then again, I wouldn't have a problem with directly paying athletes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 07:55:17 AM »
warrior, in the second post, IWB was referring to the watches, not the iPads.

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 07:59:25 AM »
My bad, you're right, he was referring to the watches in the second post.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2010, 01:44:59 PM »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2010, 02:02:24 PM »
It's funny they unnatural carnal knowledgeed up the original meme.  It was originally "Disregard females, acquire currency" which I think is better.

The original, 'Frack betches, get money." means the pic really should have said, "Copulate with females, acquire currency."  But at this point we're just nitpicking.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2010, 02:09:54 PM »
Jus' wondering: In Today's ultra politically correct world, should anybody, let alone a Marquette basketplayer and student be using the word "bitches"? Shades of Don Imus!!!

Stop being such a whiny bit ...
Oh, wait. Never mind.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
The IPads are university owned......
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2010, 03:10:57 PM »
and Buzz's comments about watches was an attempt at humor.....I only see one watch  ;D

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2010, 10:28:28 PM »
It's funny they fracked up the original meme.  It was originally "Disregard females, acquire currency" which I think is better.

The original, 'Frack betches, get money." means the pic really should have said, "Copulate with females, acquire currency."  But at this point we're just nitpicking.

Jeez, I didn't even notice it was wrong, here is the correct one I've always loved.

wesmat23

• Starter
  • Veezy V G.T.S.T
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2010, 01:30:40 PM »
I hope the uw-madison bball dosent find out what our players got. They might try and steal them.  :D