[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Yet Another Reseating Thread  (Read 30460 times)

Benny B

• All American
Yet Another Reseating Thread
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:37:16 PM »
So here in Chicagoland, the 9"x12" envelope emblazoned with the MU logo arrived today with my personalized 2014-15 reseating letter.  For those of us who forgot... yes, we are now reseating every year.

The inquisitive may ask, "but why are we now reseating every year, Benny?"

Well fellow scoopers, it's the same reason you can't pick your actual seats anymore: the evil taxman a/k/a the Wisconsin Dept. of Revenue.  Now I won't go into the dumb logic behind this decision, but there is one exception to the rule: if you're in a section that doesn't require a seat license (e.g. upper corners or baseline), you can still pick your actual seats since it's the seat license that's taxable.  No seat license, no tax, no worries, eh?

Or so that's what we've been told.

You see, Scoopers, here's a little known tidbit of 411 you might find interesting: one of the benefits of being a Marquette employee is --- your seat license, if any, is waived.

"So since there's no seat license for faculty/staff, when it's their turn to pick, they can pick their actual seats, right?"

Wrong.  Faculty/staff still have to go through the same process as the rest of us.

Now while that seems like a fair thing to do, color me cynical here... if there was a way to circumvent the selection "process" for faculty/staff that didn't jeopardize non-taxabilty of seat licenses, I would have to think the Athletic Dept would be all over that one.  Heck, I'm pretty dang sure that most faculty/staff are probably winking & nudging their way through the selection process already, so why not just bring it above board?

So I remain skeptical as to who's really driving the bus with the whole taxable seat license thing... there are just too many holes in the argument for me to believe that this new selection process is actually necessary to preserve tax-free status.   Not that it's a big deal to me, since I'll be slumming in the license-free 400s for the foreseeable future any way; it just seems like somebody's deliberately creating a headache for thousands of people merely for kicks.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wardle2wade

• All American
Re: Yet Another Reseating Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »
Is the Dept of Revenue requiring the reseating to occur every year now?  I assumed that decision was by MU to increase donations.  In the past, I'd bet that reseating years always had more donations.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:01:30 PM by wardle2wade »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 11:13:22 PM »
Does this mean jump around guy wont be in the same spot?

augoman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »
Does this mean jump around guy wont be in the same spot?

quite sure he'll remain where he is if he so wishes.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 02:38:13 PM »

Or reasonably close.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 02:55:17 PM »
Doesn't matter. The camera man guy will follow him to his new seat.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »
I didn't read the reseating letter .. did any of the point system calcs change?

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 03:58:45 PM »
I looked it over and didn't see any changes in priority points

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 09:42:33 PM »
No, I think the system makes sense.

Broeker doesn't BS about this kind of stuff and he explained it on Twitter last year.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 10:45:33 PM »
No, I think the system makes sense.

Broeker doesn't BS about this kind of stuff and he explained it on Twitter last year.

Broeker may not be the BSer... he might be a fellow BSee.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 07:53:47 AM »
Found my reseating email in my spam folder this morning.
June 5, 4:06 p.m.
Runs June 2-June 13.  Seems like a long stretch. 
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 08:08:25 AM »
Ahhh, the annual dick measuring thread ..

Friday, June 6th at 7:41 P.M

D'oh!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 08:13:41 AM »
So here in Chicagoland, the 9"x12" envelope emblazoned with the MU logo arrived today with my personalized 2014-15 reseating letter.  For those of us who forgot... yes, we are now reseating every year.

Well fellow scoopers, it's the same reason you can't pick your actual seats anymore: the evil taxman a/k/a the Wisconsin Dept. of Revenue.  Now I won't go into the dumb logic behind this decision, but there is one exception to the rule: if you're in a section that doesn't require a seat license (e.g. upper corners or baseline), you can still pick your actual seats since it's the seat license that's taxable.  No seat license, no tax, no worries, eh?

You see, Scoopers, here's a little known tidbit of 411 you might find interesting: one of the benefits of being a Marquette employee is --- your seat license, if any, is waived.

"So since there's no seat license for faculty/staff, when it's their turn to pick, they can pick their actual seats, right?"

Wrong.  Faculty/staff still have to go through the same process as the rest of us.

Now while that seems like a fair thing to do, color me cynical here... if there was a way to circumvent the selection "process" for faculty/staff that didn't jeopardize non-taxabilty of seat licenses, I would have to think the Athletic Dept would be all over that one.  Heck, I'm pretty dang sure that most faculty/staff are probably winking & nudging their way through the selection process already, so why not just bring it above board?

So I remain skeptical as to who's really driving the bus with the whole taxable seat license thing... there are just too many holes in the argument for me to believe that this new selection process is actually necessary to preserve tax-free status.   Not that it's a big deal to me, since I'll be slumming in the license-free 400s for the foreseeable future any way; it just seems like somebody's deliberately creating a headache for thousands of people merely for kicks.

You make it sound like this isn't a bunch of work and a headache for the athletic department to go through as well.  My sincere guess is that they aren't doing this "merely for kicks."

BTW, I would also guess that the 80% deductibility of the donations for points will go away in the next few years.  Congress is messing with tax issues and this deduction was eliminated from an early committee draft.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 08:16:03 AM »
Ahhh, the annual dick measuring thread ..

Friday, June 6th at 7:41 P.M

D'oh!

You must be doing your exercises.   
Ludum habemus.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 09:40:27 AM »
I was out of the country last year and had Marquette select my seats, so this will be the first time I experience the new process. 

So, what is the process now?  I pay my renewal fee, register my preferences as part of that process and then what?  Do I actually need to log in during my allotted time?  And why bother to log in at my allotted time if the seats are picked for me by Marquette Staff anyway? 

Or, can I tell the staff what seats I want during the process and they click the buttons?  If so, that is very odd.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
The tax thing may be legitimate where deductability is an issue, but applying it more broadly is just an excuse for the Athletic Department to take control.

If it was more than that, they would be able to find a way for MU employees to select differently, as noted above.  Also, they'd be able to use that employee method for people who are willing to forego the tax deduction.  I told them last year I'd send them a letter expressly foregoing the deduction if I could pick my exact seats, because picking my seats is more important to me than the money I could get from using the deduction.  They told me they wouldn't do it.

And for those who say you'll get the same seats if you just select "same seats as last year" once you've found seats in your row - good luck.  I did that last year, and then found they moved me several seats over...by the aisle, with people constantly walking by after the tip.

Debate whether it's a good idea or bad...but the tax explanation is being applied far more broadly than it needs to be.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 09:50:34 AM »
I was out of the country last year and had Marquette select my seats, so this will be the first time I experience the new process.  

So, what is the process now?  I pay my renewal fee, register my preferences as part of that process and then what?  Do I actually need to log in during my allotted time?  And why bother to log in at my allotted time if the seats are picked for me by Marquette Staff anyway?  

Or, can I tell the staff what seats I want during the process and they click the buttons?  If so, that is very odd.

You log in at the allotted time, see if they have enough tix in the section and row you want, and then select that section and row.  Then you can hit a button expressing preferences:  same seats as last year, closer to the aisle, further from the aisle - and they select your exact seats based on that.

Last year, many reported that they got the same seats by selecting the "same seats" option, but I didn't.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 09:54:48 AM »
You log in at the allotted time, see if they have enough tix in the section and row you want, and then select that section and row.  Then you can hit a button expressing preferences:  same seats as last year, closer to the aisle, further from the aisle - and they select your exact seats based on that.

Last year, many reported that they got the same seats by selecting the "same seats" option, but I didn't.
Thanks.  So, essentially we get to direct the row and section, just not the actual seats.  Must be a tax lawyer involved in deciding how to set up the process and get around the inability to select exact seats.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »
Found my reseating email in my spam folder this morning.
Runs June 2-June 13.  Seems like a long stretch. 

June 7th, 4:25p.

12 days does seem like a long time, and I find the fact that I'm selecting in the "first half" of the reseating period a little curious... my point "rank" was something around 1800 last I checked; that would mean that there's over 4,000 appointments over 12 days if they have the same number of appointments every day.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »
anyone know how this works for those with the cheap $125 season tickets? Can I really expect any seating improvements since last year without making a donation?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 12:55:29 PM »
anyone know how this works for those with the cheap $125 season tickets? Can I really expect any seating improvements since last year without making a donation?

I would super recommend you always donate $100 to the B&G Fund every year.  It gives you 2 points, one for the $100, and one for the keeping the consecutive year string going .. it's basically the most cost effective $100 you will spend on improving seats.   Even if you're in the upper deck, someday you might want to move.

.. on the topic of a longer window to select seats .. I imagine that's so the appointments are spread out more.  I think last year your window was short, like 2-3-4 minutes.  If you make it 10 minutes, you need many more days to get thru all the accounts.

You must be doing your exercises.   

It surprises me I'm only a day away from you, as I'm 18 million points behind. 

...On my re-seating preferences "note" I put "Place me close enough for the new coaching staff to hear my arm-chair instructions."

bradley center bat

• All American

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 06:50:33 PM »
Haven't received anything yet, email or snail mail.....

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 07:04:04 PM »
June 8 2:09.

Guess I have the smallest one.

For those who don't have anything, log in to your account.  Should be able find everything.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:07:54 PM by MUDPT »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 08:56:43 PM »
Haven't received anything yet, email or snail mail.....

Check your spam folder.
Ludum habemus.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 09:42:22 PM »
June 9th 7:03 pm, much like a turtle poking out of its shell

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 12:24:22 AM »
June 9th 7:03 pm, much like a turtle poking out of its shell

gotta poop, aina?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 08:30:49 AM »
Hmm .. maybe I missed something before, but MU just sent another email about re-seating that seemed to have all the same info the last one did.

BUT .. it did mention that you could select your seats online .. or in person at the Bradley Center, like they used to do it.   That seems to be a change.   Last year the email stated you could do it in-person at the Al, a popular option for the Luddite crowd.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 09:17:13 AM »
Have there been employees that have been able to select seats already? There are numerous seats in the front rows of the upper deck corners that are already marked as unavailable, including my seats from last year.

Are the just allocating more seats for university use?

Crispy

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 09:48:06 AM »
I am an employee and have never had a chance to pick early.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »

And for those who say you'll get the same seats if you just select "same seats as last year" once you've found seats in your row - good luck.  I did that last year, and then found they moved me several seats over...by the aisle, with people constantly walking by after the tip.

I'm on the aisle and it's planned so I sign up annually for that pain...to me the pros outweigh the cons.  That said, the Bradley Center is an absolute embarrassment to sports entertainment the way they let people run free during events.  At the Kohl Center they have drapes they close during game action, they do their best to keep you in the vestibule (???) until a break in the action.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

augoman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 12:28:09 PM »
I remember attending ball games at Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix when it first opened- the ushers held a rope across the aisle to keep you in the concourse until a break in the action.  Great idea I'd like to see implemented at the BC.

June 4th, 7:30

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »
So here in Chicagoland, the 9"x12" envelope emblazoned with the MU logo arrived today with my personalized 2014-15 reseating letter.  For those of us who forgot... yes, we are now reseating every year.

Well fellow scoopers, it's the same reason you can't pick your actual seats anymore: the evil taxman a/k/a the Wisconsin Dept. of Revenue.  Now I won't go into the dumb logic behind this decision, but there is one exception to the rule: if you're in a section that doesn't require a seat license (e.g. upper corners or baseline), you can still pick your actual seats since it's the seat license that's taxable.  No seat license, no tax, no worries, eh?

Wrong.  Faculty/staff still have to go through the same process as the rest of us.

Now while that seems like a fair thing to do, color me cynical here... if there was a way to circumvent the selection "process" for faculty/staff that didn't jeopardize non-taxabilty of seat licenses, I would have to think the Athletic Dept would be all over that one.  Heck, I'm pretty dang sure that most faculty/staff are probably winking & nudging their way through the selection process already, so why not just bring it above board?

So I remain skeptical as to who's really driving the bus with the whole taxable seat license thing... there are just too many holes in the argument for me to believe that this new selection process is actually necessary to preserve tax-free status.   Not that it's a big deal to me, since I'll be slumming in the license-free 400s for the foreseeable future any way; it just seems like somebody's deliberately creating a headache for thousands of people merely for kicks.

What does not seem fair to me is that those who support Marquette and pay this tax on seat licenses is directly or indirectly contributing to Bo Ryan's salary.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 02:17:03 PM by muwarrior69 »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 03:13:07 PM »
I remember attending ball games at Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix when it first opened- the ushers held a rope across the aisle to keep you in the concourse until a break in the action.  Great idea I'd like to see implemented at the BC.

June 4th, 7:30

The United Center employs a bunch of crossing guards for the exact same purpose.

jeipps

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2014, 07:10:49 PM »
The marquetteseating.com website will not let me login.  I put in my account # and it asked for your seat selection pin?  My normal password for my marquette account does not work.  Can somebody help me out with this? Thanks

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »
I got an email about a week ago with the password for the seating selection only.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2014, 11:24:54 PM »
The United Center employs a bunch of crossing guards for the exact same purpose.

So does AT&T Park in San Francisco

DanceHallPlayer

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »
Have there been employees that have been able to select seats already? There are numerous seats in the front rows of the upper deck corners that are already marked as unavailable, including my seats from last year.

Are the just allocating more seats for university use?

Some of those seats may be considered obstructed view and blocked out because of that. The end seats on some of the low aisles on the 400 level are considered obstructed because of railings. The aisle seat I sat in two years ago was not available to me last year, but I sat in the same row and know that no one sat in that seat all year. The seat at the opposite end of the aisle was also unused all year.
file:///C:/Users/dhoughton/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/P45VEX3L/White%20Guy%20Cant%20Jump.gif

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 01:50:08 PM »
Well, people, how have your reseating sessions gone?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2014, 01:54:25 PM »

can't answer that before June 10

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2014, 02:02:09 PM »
can't answer that before June 10
same here

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2014, 03:20:21 PM »
I'm up in an hour.   I'll let you know. 
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2014, 03:31:58 PM »
From looking at a few data points of people with way more points than me, compared to my time, I think I'll be able to get better seats this year.   (tomorrow night.)

Not sure why that is, unless a ton of people decided not to get seats this year.

We'll see in 28 hours.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »
I went to the Al, unlike last year, because I enjoy seeing the players and other student athletes assisting the process.  Secured similar seats as last year, although I flipped sides of the BC.  Unlikely to get an aisle, as I took the last two available in that row.

Steve Taylor guided me to the computer.  Very nice man.  Talked a bit about the article in the morning paper regarding boot camp vs. skills.  He clearly likes the current style.   Deonte was working the front desk.  Juan was in the ticket booth, both on the first floor.  

The people choosing seats there skewed old, even older than an old man like me.  Some of that is donation history, some of that is tradition, some of that is fear of screwing up something on the computer.  I'm a proxy for a business partner tomorrow and I suspect I'll just sit at my desk to select his.  
Ludum habemus.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »
I went to the Al yesterday. Last year 227 row J. This year 227 row F. Last year I was gone and let MU pick my seats. They did give me isle seats closer to mid court vs isle seats the year before fartherest from mid-court. Prior to last year I was 227 row H.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »
I went last night and after initial disappointment and being told that my rows are mostly filled, I believe I have the same seats as last year, the two years before that, etc.  I won't actually know until I'm billed, but believe I have the same seats.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2014, 07:44:21 PM »
I went to the Al yesterday. Last year 227 row J. This year 227 row F. Last year I was gone and let MU pick my seats. They did give me isle seats closer to mid court vs isle seats the year before fartherest from mid-court. Prior to last year I was 227 row H.

215 row P.  Last year I was in 200, only in that section below the luxury boxes. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:48:15 PM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2014, 10:54:38 AM »
Seat Donations -- Someone confirm this for me:

I'm of the understanding that the seat donation is a per-seat donation that is, in essence, "added" to the price of the ticket; it is not the particular "donor-level" required to select the seat.  In other words, if you select four seats in Section 200 ($570/seat, $600 donation), you're paying $4,680 for your season tickets [(570+600)*4].

A friend of mine is arguing that by donating $600 to the B&G fund, you receive the "right" to purchase any available seats in the $600 donor category at your appointment time at the per-ticket price; in this case, the same seats would cost a total of $2,880 (570*4+600).

Who is right - me or my buddy?

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2014, 11:03:04 AM »

Definitely not your buddy...

I'm of the understanding that the seat donation is a per-seat donation that is, in essence, "added" to the price of the ticket; it is not the particular "donor-level" required to select the seat.  In other words, if you select four seats in Section 200 ($570/seat, $600 donation), you're paying $4,680 for your season tickets [(570+600)*4].

A friend of mine is arguing that by donating $600 to the B&G fund, you receive the "right" to purchase any available seats in the $600 donor category at your appointment time at the per-ticket price; in this case, the same seats would cost a total of $2,880 (570*4+600).

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2014, 11:03:31 AM »

I'm of the understanding that the seat donation is a per-seat donation that is, in essence, "added" to the price of the ticket; it is not the particular "donor-level" required to select the seat.  In other words, if you select four seats in Section 200 ($570/seat, $600 donation), you're paying $4,680 for your season tickets [(570+600)*4].

You
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 11:06:09 AM by Strokin 3s »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »
Benny, you are correct, and you should out your "buddy" for a public shaming. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2014, 11:18:09 AM »
Thank you.  No need to out him... since he's a UW fan, he's already "out" by most accounts.

Incidentally, I think his way was the way UW did their seat licensing many years ago.  Not sure why he thinks himself an expert on MU basketball, but then, I suppose that most Bucky fans do.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »
He shouldn't be your buddy, guy.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2014, 01:19:49 PM »
It's per seat.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2014, 03:58:32 PM »
He shouldn't be your buddy, guy.

Ding. 

More accurately, he's not your buddy.   Stop letting him fool you.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2014, 04:12:52 PM »
Ding. 

More accurately, he's not your buddy.   Stop letting him fool you.

You know what I was going for.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2014, 05:11:48 PM »
You know what I was going for.

Don't call me guy, friend.

MUWarriors

• Walk-On
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »
Just got back from re-seating.  Always a great experience to do it at the Al.  While we were waiting for our appointment, Derrick Wilson introduced himself to us.  Very classy guy.  Asked him how he likes Wojo and his response was very enthusiastic.  He said that he is looking forward to when Matt and Sandy get to campus.  I told him that I was glad to see that everybody stayed and his comment was that when they found out who was going to be the coach, everybody wanted to stay. 

As for re-seating, stayed in section 218 where we wanted to be.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »
Ended up with slightly worse seats than last year. 

Seemed to be more seats available this year in rows w-x-y-z, though, so maybe some people changed their idea of a good seat, decided to the same thing I did, move over one section and 12+ rows down and save $480.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2014, 10:32:36 PM »
Ended up with slightly worse seats than last year. 

Seemed to be more seats available this year in rows w-x-y-z, though, so maybe some people changed their idea of a good seat, decided to the same thing I did, move over one section and 12+ rows down and save $480.

So, do you think they are processing more folks per time slot?
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2014, 08:18:58 AM »
As for our discussion before, how they churned through 837 accounts in 28 hours .. I'm still surprised. 

Due to our prior math, I really thought they'd made a mistake, and I'd have a ton of improved options for seats.   Didn't come true.

Completely anecdotal, but as I said, there were a ton of seats in the 4 close-to-corner sections, 202, 212, 216, 226 in rows w-x-y-z that I don't recall being there when I reseated last year.    Had I donated a ton, that would make sense, so it was odd.

If I had to guess, I think a smattering of people didn't renew their seats, and another smattering decided that instead of donating $360x2 to be in row WXYZ, they moved over a section and down 15+ to pay $120x2, which is how I ended up with worse seats.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2014, 06:32:28 PM »
So, my friend and I share our season tickets.  I have the lower point total (not by much).  We just got our same seats from last year under his account.  I called to confirm this week that our accounts were linked like previous years, but they still let us get our seats under his name.  Hmmmm.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2014, 09:38:32 PM »
There are still a ton of end zone seats in the lower bowl left, but less upstairs than usual. Interesting. MU might need to look at their pricing/donation structure a bit.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2014, 08:53:21 AM »
There are still a ton of end zone seats in the lower bowl left, but less upstairs than usual. Interesting. MU might need to look at their pricing/donation structure a bit.

Indeed.  This data does fit the theory .. there may still be the same number of season ticket holders .. but some folks are downgrading their tickets, moving over a section or two, moving upstairs, or abandoning the full package and selecting the ~8 good games from stubhub, forgoing the rest.

This behavior would be expected if we were in a recession.   The better theory would be .. the changes in the Big East, the lack of Louisville games, UConn games, Syracuse games, Notre Dame games plus a sub-mediocre season equates to a downgrade in the product and the price people are willing to pay for it.    

One $700 season ticket was really worth it in 2010,11,12 .. not so much in 2014.  Being spoiled during the BE glory years has a price.

Winning next year would help, but the perception of the Big East will be tough to shake off.    While us internet nerds will give Wojo a lot of slack, rebuilding the program for 2014-15, a sub-500 season and lackluster BE, and this problem gets way bigger.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »
This behavior would be expected if we were in a recession.   The better theory would be .. the changes in the Big East, the lack of Louisville games, UConn games, Syracuse games, Notre Dame games plus a sub-mediocre season equates to a downgrade in the product and the price people are willing to pay for it.    

One $700 season ticket was really worth it in 2010,11,12 .. not so much in 2014.  Being spoiled during the BE glory years has a price.

They've done an alright job with non-conference scheduling, but need better home games to make up for losing those BE games. Last year's cupcake menu was brutal to sit through. Throw in MU's play and it was terrible basketball.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2014, 09:20:11 AM »
Did anybody drop their seats this year?  This team probably needs the support than any others in recent years.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2014, 09:24:47 AM »
Last year's cupcake menu was brutal to sit through.

Well .. actually, I'd disagree with that.  Last year we had 6 cupcakes.  The years before that, 6, 9, 8, 9, 8.

So really, the past two years have been "good" cupcake years, in terms of there only being 6, versus 8 or 9.

Trudging to the Bradley Center 9 times for cupcakes in December .. way way worse.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2014, 09:41:38 AM »
Well .. actually, I'd disagree with that.  Last year we had 6 cupcakes.  The years before that, 6, 9, 8, 9, 8.

So really, the past two years have been "good" cupcake years, in terms of there only being 6, versus 8 or 9.

Trudging to the Bradley Center 9 times for cupcakes in December .. way way worse.

Weren't there also fewer home games last year?

I think the cupcake:game ratio was about the same, even if there were fewer cupcakes. Certainly the cupcake:big game ratio (no L'ville, no Cuse, no UConn, etc.) was much worse.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:47:58 AM by Bleuteaux »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »
Indeed.  This data does fit the theory .. there may still be the same number of season ticket holders .. but some folks are downgrading their tickets, moving over a section or two, moving upstairs, or abandoning the full package and selecting the ~8 good games from stubhub, forgoing the rest.

Winning next year would help, but the perception of the Big East will be tough to shake off.    While us internet nerds will give Wojo a lot of slack, rebuilding the program for 2014-15, a sub-500 season and lackluster BE, and this problem gets way bigger.

I'll throw myself into this group. I had full season tickets (cheap uppers, but still the whole set), and last year I moved to the 5 game pack and plan on doing that again this year. Part of it is because I live in Chicago, but another part of it is that there just aren't as many big home games as there was back in the OBE.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2014, 11:00:37 AM »

In numbers, sure. But those six teams last year were really, really bad. 5 of them had +300 RPI.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2014, 11:15:07 AM »
In numbers, sure. But those six teams last year were really, really bad. 5 of them had +300 RPI.

True .. but to most, playing #329 New Hampshire is the same as playing #195 Savanna State.

And heck, #329 New Hampshire, we only beat by 5. 

A cupcake is a cupcake.  A competitive game might be _slightly_ more entertaining to watch, although then you're sitting in your seats going "WTF, we're only beating them by 9!".

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »

meh, think I moved down 4 rows but at the cost of not being on the aisle now

Zombie45

• Walk-On
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
I am not quite sure how i got screwed, but i moved up in percentile and overall rank and got worse tickets

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2014, 08:23:25 PM »
I am not quite sure how i got screwed, but i moved up in percentile and overall rank and got worse tickets

This answer to how this happens to me may be worth its weight in gold

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2014, 09:16:19 PM »
I think my theory above is a possible answer:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41942.msg630910#msg630910

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
Went yesterday, met Juan and Deonte, pretty cool kids. I actually was able to move over a section with lower seats, in fact row A, worked out for me.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2014, 04:34:47 PM »
We moved closer to center court by a section and up a couple of rows. We gave up the aisle, but since we are the last row in the section, we can climb over the seats for faster refills.

The nice part of yearly reseating is experimenting in new areas without such a commitment, I like it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »
I think my theory above is a possible answer:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41942.msg630910#msg630910

Other factors:

*  People "in front" of you are buying 4 tickets, whereas before they may have been buying only 2.  This would be much more prevalent in the cohort where alumni are having kids (or kids are to the age where they need their own seat).  May have a small effect if you're in the 30-80 priority point range.

*  Alums like me who have been sandbagging priority points.  Best seats available at my appt. this year were in the lower corners, about Row E/F/G (depending on 2 or 4), which was slightly better than best available at my appt. last year.  But I'm sitting upstairs in non-donation seats, just like I have since graduation because of choice... we've been saying we'll move downstairs next re-seating for the last four years, but we haven't yet.  The people who sit around me are in similar situations... we have plenty of priority points to get decent seats downstairs, but we just haven't pulled the trigger for various reasons - mostly because we're "young" (relative to the sweater-vests, despite my wearing a sweater-vest ironically from time to time).  But eventually we will, and eventually, so will everyone else, just like the few that did this year.

*  The recession is over.  I know several people who have downgraded their tickets over the past five years in an effort to save some money, but they still kept building priority points.  When my wife and I first had season tix upstairs, we were mostly with other young alums; however, we saw a pretty noticeable influx of gray-hairs into the 400-level end zones right around 2010 or so... people who had been downstairs previously were now sitting upstairs for whatever reason.