[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nice right uppercut, Bobby Knight  (Read 10599 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Nice right uppercut, Bobby Knight
« on: November 14, 2006, 03:08:50 PM »
I am hearing sportswriters and others today say it is not a big deal that Bobby Knight hit one of his Texas Tech players last night during a timeout. Some observers say they are not even sure it was intentional.

These defenders of Knight are as whacked out as he is. Watch the video. There is no denying that Knight, in his usual way, flipped out and hit the player, who was seen a few minutes later touching and stretching his jaw.

I used to think Knight was one of the best. Now I know Knight is nothing but a maniac. No one should excuse his latest assault on a player.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Nice right uppercut, Bobby Knight
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 03:33:24 PM »
On the one hand, Bobby looked as though he lost his cool and slapped his player in anger rather than as a calculated lesson.  On the other hand, Bobby always looks like he's raging, so it's hard to tell.  Calling it assult may be a bit harsh.  Bullish and unnecessary, yes.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 04:11:21 PM »
Knight has clearly lost some of his prowess.......that pluck on the chin was nominal.  Remember how far he threw that chair 20+ yrs ago, or when he shoved a cop into a trashcan? Not sure big bad Bobby can muster up the strength anymore!   :o

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 04:47:36 PM »
The player (Michael Prince), his family, the administration and Knight all say that there was nothing wrong with what took place.

They all tell the same story. 

This is a non-issue.  Despite ESPN's attempts to make it into Kermit Washington Part II.  Give me a break. 

tckmu24

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 05:23:55 PM »
ok, i am by no means a bobby knight fan, but....wouldn't you all like to see TC be a little bit more like him?  i am not saying he should throw chairs or hit players, but i would love to see TC get a technical in a game.  he gets mad, puts his hands behind his back, and then tries to give the refs an earful.  crean getting a T would fire me up and if used in the right situation would get his players pumped too.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
ESPN deserves credit ...
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 05:40:56 PM »
... for not blindly accepting what Texas Tech player Michael Prince, his family, the Texas Tech administration (especially the university's president) and Bobby Knight say -- that there was nothing wrong with Knight's having hit one of his players last night.

Bartmiller#1 might dismiss this as a "nonissue" simply because some people, especially those mentioned above, want it to disappear. The fact is: During one of his fits of rage, Knight hit another of his players.

In a rare display of journalistic integrity, instead of boosterism, ESPN is not allowing others with vested interests to make an issue go away.

Knight hit his player. The video leaves no doubt about it.

A “nonissue?” Hardly.

4everwarriors

• All American
If The Media Runs With This...
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 07:09:08 PM »
it will end with Knight's resignation. This is not much diffrerent than saying Blacks are incapable of being NFL quarterbacks, boobs get in the way of a women's golf swing, or
Woody Hayes slamming a player. All resulted in ouster.
Then again, we all figured Bobby would self-destruct at some point, didn't we?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 07:47:06 PM »
Bottom line: if it wasn't Bobby Knight, nobody would have thought twice about it. The kid was hanging his head, Knight wanted eye contact and let him know. While some outside the situation (including a few on this board) are quick to chastize Knight, I'm gonna go with those who were in on the situation. If those involved - the kid and his family, along with Knight and the AD - are going to consider this a non-issue, so will I.

How is this any different from a football coach grabbing a kid by the facemask? Does anyone make a stink when that happens?

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 11:05:25 PM »
I don't know that anyone read any of the Al books here! I remember reading a story in one of them where he basically beat a kid up in the locker room at half time. ESPN led the charge on Knight for some reason starting with their radio show this morning. Their must have been some bad negotiations on continuing Knight's show from last year based upon their bias. This is the same network that paid Barry Bonds for a reality show. I can't believe how they tried to roast this guy. He taught that young man a lesson he will never forget. This man has done a lot more for student athletes than some of the mild mannered scumbags in college basketball history. His kids graduate and learn how to become respectful and  successful young men. Guys like Gottlieb can blast him when they played under guys like Sutton. Bobby Knight isn't perfect and has been doing this for generations. Anytime you complain about P.C., I hope you naysayers look at yourself and your opinion on this incident. The guy isn't perfect, but he definitely takes the high road compared to the PC cheating scumbag!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 11:07:39 PM by 77fan88warrior »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 11:39:46 PM »
Get off Bobby's rear end. If the kid was looking him in the eye like a real man, it wouldn't have been so bad.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 11:54:09 PM »
Being a huge Bobby Knight fan (when I was a youngin I either wanted to play for MU or Indiana due to Knight)..... I think he is one of the greatest if not the greatest college coaches of all time... hard to say the best, since that usually goes to Wooden or Smith, but top 5 for sure.  On his actions, I think that shows his passion for the game, if any other coach would have done what he did, it wouldnt be mentioned as much as it is (cover of espn.com  .... come on now), the kid and parents said it was fine, he went to Texas Tech, he knew Bobby Knight was passionate, knew what he was getting into, however the kid(Prince is his name I believe) also knows that for the rest of his life Bobby Knight will support him, something many coaches in the collegiate ranks don't do.  He knows he will get an education, something many schools dont do (Memphis), and will learn a lot about life, I will back Bobby Knight till hes gone, call it naive, but it really wasn't that bad
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 07:01:22 AM »
finally saw a video of it on the news last night... all I can say is geez talk about blowing something out of proportion.. my dog's turds have hit the ground harder than that.. geesh.. this is division 1 b-ball (and men's at that).. if you can't take a lovetap get off the court.  if you are too sensitive to take a lesson in respect from your coach get out of the sport altogether.  if knight had truly hit him that would be one thing but this was a chin massage by comparison.. *walks away shaking his head mumbbling something incoherently*
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 09:11:38 AM by spiral97 »
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 07:52:52 AM »
Bottom line: if it wasn't Bobby Knight, nobody would have thought twice about it.

Agreed. If this was Tom Crean or Bo Ryan, Bruce Weber, Bruce Pearle...nobody would heve ever even seen it. This is people trying to create controversy where there is none.

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 06:57:24 PM »
This is worse, and no one has ever even talked about it. 

Listen to the audio too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkuBHGgYdeE&NR