[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Starting to think "Good Riddance"  (Read 1285 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Starting to think "Good Riddance"
« on: April 02, 2008, 08:32:31 AM »
You can't blame a guy for trying to better his situation in life for him and his family, but the more that comes out and the more I read everything, I'm starting to think good riddance, let him go.

The way this whole thing was handled by Crean SUCKS. For a guy who acted like the Marquette program meant something, his relationship with McGuire late in Al's life, for him to just crap on the players and program like this SUCKS.

For those that say "what was he supposed to do?"...come on, this job has been open for over a month now. To think Crean woke up Tuesday morning and decided "yeah, I'll go to IU today" is totally naive. For him not to inform his players Tuesday morning SUCKS.

For all the equity he built up over the years here at Marquette, he pissed it away in hours. I don't blame him for wanting to go to IU, it's a top ten basketball job, that's fine, good for him. But maybe throughout this entire time, maybe it was all just about Crean. Reading Michael Hunt's article in the JS today, he hit it right on the head. For about five years now, Crean's held MU hostage each time a job came up, and MU ponied up each time. For him to go out like this, in this fashion, SUCKS.

Let's start fresh now. Get someone new in here, and I hope when we meet IU in the tourney (when they get back there in four years), we send them back home.

billf

• Walk-On
Re: Starting to think "Good Riddance"
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:35:29 AM »
Totally agree.  Time to move on.  As others have said, seems like a classless and slimy way to exit.

passion of da coach

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:39:02 AM »
well said Dish, who would you like to see come in?

I dont normally like Hunt's work that much but he was dead n today.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:45:21 AM »
I thank him for his time and effort, appreciate what he accomplished, wish him nothing but failure, and honestly think we may come out of this with an upgrade.

No longer are we in need of the PR, energy, excitement Crean was so good at creating, that IU so desperately needs right now. What we need now is banners - Big East, Sweet 16's , Final Fours, etc. Was Crean the guy to get us those? We'll never know. Can we find the guy who is? I sure think so.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 08:50:43 AM »
I completly agree with Navin. Crean was good for a time, everything that is now in place at MU makes MU a quality destination. I'm not naive to think that whoever our next coach is, if Duke/Carolina/Kentucky called, wouldn't jump at that chance. BUT....

What is there not to love at MU? Facilities...check. Power conference with PLENTY of exposure...check. Recruiting...check. Oh, and a little thing that might matter...$$$. MU has shown that we will pay a coach top dollar. Crean was one of the five/ten highest paid coaches IN THE COUNTRY! Don't think for a second, for a millisecond, that coaches aren't calling MU right now trying to get the gig. To think the sky is falling is crazy.

I too thank Crean for what he did while he was here. I hate, absolutely hate how he left.

This "could" be a great thing to happen for the program in the long term. If I had my say, I'd go after Bennett. While some might not like his style at Wazzu, I think given the current guard oriented roster in place, he would do great things here. I don't know if it would be like Weber replacing Self at Illinois and taking them to the title game, but I think he would do great things at MU.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 09:00:43 AM »
Its funny you mention Weber at Illinois, as I was thinking about that last night. For the better part of three years now I have been comparing Mu to that Illinois team with those three guards, and here we are again. MU is poised to be very good next year...will the next coach be the guy to take them to the next level? I guess we'll see.

billf

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 09:01:27 AM »
I too thank Crean for what he did while he was here. I hate, absolutely hate how he left.

This "could" be a great thing to happen for the program in the long term. If I had my say, I'd go after Bennett. While some might not like his style at Wazzu, I think given the current guard oriented roster in place, he would do great things here. I don't know if it would be like Weber replacing Self at Illinois and taking them to the title game, but I think he would do great things at MU.

Well said - good while here, classless exit.

And I too think that they should give great consideration to Bennett.  He was an intense guard when he played and I think he would be able to work well with the current players.  They may have to adjust the up-tempo style game they're used to, but I think it could work.  People will complain about Bennett's style, but he's a winner and winning erases many things.

feedback