'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Radio says Crean to Indiana  (Read 15860 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Re: ESPN Radio says Crean to Indiana
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2011, 04:18:13 AM »
To keep on topic;  I think that if Crean stayed at MU we'd have at least 3 new banners at the BC.  How many banners has Buzz put up?!!?

Yes. Three more "Great Alaskan Shootout" banners.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2011, 07:41:35 AM »
Yes. Three more "Great Alaskan Shootout" banners.

Thank you for explaining the joke :P

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »
PRN's "we'll never set another State of Wisconsin attendance record" line is still funny today.

Probably accurate, too

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2011, 10:46:12 AM »
Crean probably has to get to the Elite Eight by Cody Zeller's junior year at minimum.  Might even have to be the Final Four.  Otherwise, they might finally ask Brad Stevens to come a few miles south. 

No more excuses for Crean in my opinion.  It actually seems so long ago that he was here.

You continue to crack me up.  You have no clue on this...absolutely NO CLUE.  IU has never said you need to get to a certain level in the NCAA tournament or you're gone.  You just have no CLUE how IU works.  I'm sorry, but you don't.

If Crean consistently goes to the NCAA tournament, graduates players, keeps their noses clean and has several solid runs per decade he will be hanging around.  People forget that Knight had plenty of "off years" when he didn't make the Elite 8...hell, years he made the NIT only.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2011, 10:47:04 AM »
In game coaching still an issue.  Usually had a good game plan to start, but failed miserably at in game adjustments.

And this is different from the current staff....how?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2011, 11:04:47 AM »
How can this be, 3 consecutive defend Tom Crean posts, with one slight of the current coaching staff's ability to make in game adjustments?  At least we made a Sweet 16 this year without having a lottery pick on our roster - something Tom Crean has yet to accomplish in his 12 years as a head coach.  Must be some decent coaching/in game adjustments and game plans going on currently....
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »
Ners, do you think our staff made good in game adjustments this year?  It's been one of the biggest complaints all season long.  

I wonder how many Final Fours Dean Smith made without future NBA guys on his team?  Or Coach K?  Or John Wooden?  This just in, great players usually mean success in the NCAA tournament.  Aren't you glad the man you hate more than any landed that kid and also brought Buzz to MU?  It must conflict you so....like getting getting divorced and despising your ex but knowing she gave you a child you love.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:58:05 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »
Can we just sticky this topic and merge all new Crean-based posts to it?   I'd clean up the boards.

To keep on topic;  I think that if Crean stayed at MU we'd have at least 3 new banners at the BC.  How many banners has Buzz put up?!!?

Hell, we'd have far more than 3 new banners. Crean got a blue light deal at Kmart on banners. Went through them like toilet paper. And, that's about what his self promotion was worth.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2011, 01:19:21 PM »
You continue to crack me up.  You have no clue on this...absolutely NO CLUE.  IU has never said you need to get to a certain level in the NCAA tournament or you're gone.  You just have no CLUE how IU works.  I'm sorry, but you don't.

If Crean consistently goes to the NCAA tournament, graduates players, keeps their noses clean and has several solid runs per decade he will be hanging around.  People forget that Knight had plenty of "off years" when he didn't make the Elite 8...hell, years he made the NIT only.

I know for a FACT that this is not true.
We Are Marquette

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2011, 01:42:15 PM »

I think with his recent "elite" recruiting success he will get there...but some of the natives are very restless on the way his teams are finishing the season. This blog piece caused quite a stir in Hoosier Nation--pro and con.

http://indiana.sbnation.com/indiana-hoosiers/2011/3/12/2046155/opinion-time-to-start-re-thinking-crimson-and-crean-basketball-at

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »
Ners, do you think our staff made good in game adjustments this year?  It's been one of the biggest complaints all season long. 

I wonder how many Final Fours Dean Smith made without future NBA guys on his team?  Or Coach K?  Or John Wooden?  This just in, great players usually mean success in the NCAA tournament.  Aren't you glad the many you hate more than any landed that kid and also brought Buzz to MU?  It must conflict you so....like getting getting divorced and despising your ex but knowing she gave you a child you love.   ;D

I do agree that talent and players are about 80-90% responsible for the results a team has, and coaching 10-20%.  A good "coach" must be able to land/recruit good talent - that is the foundation for everything.  But I'd also submit that Dom James, Jerel McNeal, Wes Matthews and Lazar Hayward were great players, yet they had very limited success in the NCAA tourney...

And lastly, I do not hate Tom Crean AT ALL - what I hate is how you defend the hell out of him, yet are pretty darn critical of our current coach.  Think we've been over this 1,000 times.  The reality is that, though you make the occasional..I like Buzz..I think he's a nice man, and has done a good job - type of post....they are signficiantly outnumbered by critical posts.

As for in game adjustments - I tend to think that playing in the top league in the country where a 9-9 team can go on to win the national championship...lends itself to "you can't win them all" and some night syou are just going to get beat by VERY good teams.  Other nights you beat very good teams..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2011, 02:42:55 PM »

And lastly, I do not hate Tom Crean AT ALL - what I hate is how you defend the hell out of him, yet are pretty darn critical of our current coach.  Think we've been over this 1,000 times.  The reality is that, though you make the occasional..I like Buzz..I think he's a nice man, and has done a good job - type of post....they are signficiantly outnumbered by critical posts.

Careful. Chico will commission his "fair and balanced" auditor (Marquette84) to "prove" that most of his posts about Buzz are positive. LOL

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »
Isn't anyone watching the Masters?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2011, 03:22:22 PM »
Isn't anyone watching the Masters?

Right?

Or get outside, enjoy a beer.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2011, 03:40:39 PM »
Don't you old folks have internet on your phones?

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2011, 04:40:18 PM »

And here I thought you got lost Chicos.

Sweet 16 still stuck in your craw?

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »
You continue to crack me up.  You have no clue on this...absolutely NO CLUE.  IU has never said you need to get to a certain level in the NCAA tournament or you're gone.  You just have no CLUE how IU works.  I'm sorry, but you don't.

If Crean consistently goes to the NCAA tournament, graduates players, keeps their noses clean and has several solid runs per decade he will be hanging around.  People forget that Knight had plenty of "off years" when he didn't make the Elite 8...hell, years he made the NIT only.

If you recruit the players that Crean is recruiting and just make the tournament and graduate players then they are seriously underacheiving.   If they invest all that money in him then they should want different results.   If they accept mediocrity then they have created a culture of complacency over there.     If you have some sort of inside knowledge about Indiana's athletic department and its expectations now then great.  But I guarantee you things can change.  Its good that their fans and administration are patient but that can run out and change very quickly.

Knight having a few bad seasons is not a direct comparison.  Knight is a proven commodity.  Crean still has not proven anything remotely close to Knight.   You road buzz all season and questioned hiring someone like him.  It shouldn't be a reach for you to be suspicious about Crean handling the big time over there.  
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:15:40 PM by HoopsMalone »

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »

IU fans are TIRED of LOSING...    Crean has cried about players with no talent and no heart for 3 years now.  (players he recruited by the way)   And now he is landing talent, you really think IU fan will be happy with "a few solid runs?"   IU fan expects BANNERS, and if Crean has another losing season next year I really think he could be in trouble.   Most likely he will get to 2012 but if they lay another egg like last year???????    Crean won't be "SAFE" until he hangs number 6.

Oh and by the way the General only missed the NCAA tourney ONE time after the tourney expanded from 32.   And the year he didn't make it was one of only 2 years at IU he had a losing record in conference.   And they were NIT runner up that year.

Knight set a very high bar at IU....     being average won't get it done.   And last place in the Big Ten sure as hell won't.
"I better walk before they make me run"

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2011, 11:16:58 PM »
Crean won't be "SAFE" until he hangs number 6.

+1

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2011, 09:03:42 AM »
I know for a FACT that this is not true.

Oh really.  So there is a requirement that he has to go to the Elite 8 or Final Four or he will be fired.  You guys crack me up.  Bob Knight goes 6 straight years without even getting out of the 2nd round....in another 6 year stint where he not only didn't get to the Elite 8, in one of those years he went to the NIT and in another year in that six year streak didn't make any tournament at all.

This notion that he has to get to the Elite 8 in a few years is such a bunch of crock it's incredible.  IU has gone many years consecutively not only NOT reaching the Elite 8 but not even getting to the Sweet 16....no one was fired and they aren't going to start now if he gets them to the NCAAs in a regular fashion.  Some of you are thinking with your tainted hearts or relying on a 15% fringe message board fan base, not on reality.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2011, 09:11:11 AM »
I do agree that talent and players are about 80-90% responsible for the results a team has, and coaching 10-20%.  A good "coach" must be able to land/recruit good talent - that is the foundation for everything.  But I'd also submit that Dom James, Jerel McNeal, Wes Matthews and Lazar Hayward were great players, yet they had very limited success in the NCAA tourney...

As for in game adjustments - I tend to think that playing in the top league in the country where a 9-9 team can go on to win the national championship...lends itself to "you can't win them all" and some night syou are just going to get beat by VERY good teams.  Other nights you beat very good teams..

Oh good God.  You are wrong.  Most of my posts are not critical of Buzz.  Put me on ignore then ners, it's quite easy.  I only "defend" Crean to show the hypocrisy here and you don't like it.  The same mistakes made by Crean were made by KO, Majerus, Buzz but are treated differently...I point out your hypocrisy and others and it gets you all spun up.  Too bad!  Don't like it, don't read it....but don't expect anything less.  If you're going to be a hypocrite, which you are in spades, I'm going to point it out again and again and again.

As for success in the tournament...how did Buzz do with those same players listed above in the NCAAs?  Interesting. (You'll say that's a negative post....I call it showing what a hypocrite you are and giving you factual evidence).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2011, 09:15:55 AM »
IU fans are TIRED of LOSING...    Crean has cried about players with no talent and no heart for 3 years now.  (players he recruited by the way)   And now he is landing talent, you really think IU fan will be happy with "a few solid runs?"   IU fan expects BANNERS, and if Crean has another losing season next year I really think he could be in trouble.   Most likely he will get to 2012 but if they lay another egg like last year???????    Crean won't be "SAFE" until he hangs number 6.

Oh and by the way the General only missed the NCAA tourney ONE time after the tourney expanded from 32.   And the year he didn't make it was one of only 2 years at IU he had a losing record in conference.   And they were NIT runner up that year.

Knight set a very high bar at IU....     being average won't get it done.   And last place in the Big Ten sure as hell won't.

No one disagrees that last place won't get it done, no one here is suggesting that.  The "General", like Tom Crean, missed the NCAAs ENTIRELY after a Final Four....only worse, the General did it coming off a National Title.  I got to work for the General for one year as a grad assistant.  It was quite wild to say the least.

Of course they will have to start winning more...that's a no brainer.  However, the folks in the athletic department and the university have a decidedly different perspective than you and your 15% of fringe lunatics on the message boards right now.

If he has a losing season next year, yes he will be in trouble.  He should NOT have a losing season next year so I don't particularly think it's an issue.  Then again, IU has had some bad luck with key injuries the last few years which will have to stop at some point.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2011, 09:19:10 AM »

How is this different from most every coaching staff? I agree with you, I just love how this criticism is applied to almost every coach. Seems it is mostly fan assumption.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2011, 09:58:35 AM »
Considering this is a topic dug up from a few years ago, and has now turned into what seems like a re-run, I'm gonna apply the padlock...

feedback