'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Games at the Al  (Read 13426 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Games at the Al
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 09:49:14 PM »
Does anyone on this site like anything about this program?

Good heavens, complaint after complaint.

Oh Yeah  after a Win.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 09:51:27 PM »
TBD. Tonight kind of soured me on the Al game experience. If I was able to get a seat and not bleachers, that would make a big difference.

Wish you Luck, we need all the help available, Thanks.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 09:51:35 PM »
Any one else catch novak's kids dancing in the tunnel next to the band?

Yep--Steves kids and Fitzgeralds (?) kids hanging out. Al was full of alums and profs tonight.
Anyone catch the Lax team ripping it up with Todd Smith on his way to the locker room at half?  Todd was laughing hard at those boys.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 10:01:54 PM »
And also avoided the fiasco fourth quarter. Plus, I got food and beer. I think I came out ahead. Our third quarter was the best tonight but was barely up to par with how we've played this year.

Hmmm...One begins to wonder why you wasted the $10 and took a seat from a MU fan to begin with...

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2018, 10:02:58 PM »
Hmmm...One begins to wonder why you wasted the $10 and took a seat from a MU fan to begin with...

My money bought seats for MU fans. I just chose to not sit through all 40 minutes of the worst game of the year. Easy decision.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 10:05:19 PM »
My money bought seats for MU fans. I just chose to not sit through all 40 minutes of the worst game of the year. Easy decision.

Eastern Illinois and DePaul are on line 1
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 10:06:10 PM »

Your definition of "fan" is pretty odd.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2018, 10:06:45 PM »
I was there for both, home and away, go Marquette!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 10:06:51 PM »
I really enjoyed it. I've been at all three men's games at the Al and this one was the best. All the seats are good. My only gripe is long lines for soda throughout the first half.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 10:08:47 PM »
Curious, was the Al loud?  It sounded somewhat quiet on TV .. even when something awesome happened and you could tell the crowd erupted .. the mics were not picking that up.

Not really. The flow of the game kinda killed the juice.

Loudest it got was the chorus of groans when Howard was throwing the ball all over the gym at the end.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2018, 10:14:40 PM »
Not really. The flow of the game kinda killed the juice.

Loudest it got was the chorus of groans when Howard was throwing the ball all over the gym at the end.
I thought they could have done a better job in the placement of the band. Seemed kinda liked they just got stuck in the corner.  The sound system and acoustics are also obviously not as good as the BMO, but agree that it wasn't great.  I think it's hard for fans to get supper pumped for a game against harvard no matter the circumstances.  If the draw had been different where it was possible to host ND, Id guess that it would get just as loud as the BMO.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 10:15:14 PM »
I was there and thought MU played one of its best defensive games of the year.  Not sure how much of it was due to the opposition.  But, I was generally pleased.  We were defending for a change!  Had we gotten stops all season, like we did tonight, we'd be playing in the other tournament.

I don't worry about the offense, we can flat out score, and will bounce back offensively on Sunday.  But, if we continue to guard like we did tonight (and get healthy), we can make a run! 

GO MU!

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2018, 10:16:06 PM »
Your definition of "fan" is pretty odd.

How do you define it? Do you have to attend all games for all 40 minutes to be a fan in your book? I'm not chained to the seat because I bought it. I still watched the rest of it. I just did it with a burger and a beer in hand. I was much happier at Sobleman's than sitting knee to knee in the bleachers watching a sub-par game.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 10:17:37 PM »
I was there and thought MU played one of its best defensive games of the year.  Not sure how much of it was due to the opposition. 

A lot of it. MU would have been down a dozen at half if Harvard could have hit the broad side of a barn. MU gave up at ton of open looks.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2018, 10:26:21 PM »

Also ugly games, but tonight was worse, IMO. There were 39 turnovers tonight! That's a bad, bad game.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2018, 10:35:15 PM »
Howard jawing with his defender was great during the frickin 7 minute tv timeouts.

If there had been any flow to the game to begin with, these would have killed it.  Lost count of how many times a horn would sound, guys would shuffle to whatever spot they were supposed to be at, and the ref would stand there with the ball another 30 seconds so ESPN could do ESPN things.

Still love the Al center, though, and the students were fantastic.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 10:36:11 PM »
How do you define it? Do you have to attend all games for all 40 minutes to be a fan in your book? I'm not chained to the seat because I bought it. I still watched the rest of it. I just did it with a burger and a beer in hand. I was much happier at Sobleman's than sitting knee to knee in the bleachers watching a sub-par game.

I have to be honest. You kind sound like a baby. I don’t mean to be mean, because we all whine from time to time, but you may want to reread your comments and maybe consider sending them to the abyss.

Plus it was Pi day. You should have had pizza. Not a burger. Sheesh.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2018, 10:37:56 PM »
Watched the game on TV and it didn't even seem that loud

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2018, 10:41:15 PM »
I have to be honest. You kind sound like a baby. I don’t mean to be mean, because we all whine from time to time, but you may want to reread your comments and maybe consider sending them to the abyss.

Plus it was Pi day. You should have had pizza. Not a burger. Sheesh.

I didn't like the experience today. It was lacking in a lot of ways. I think that's pretty straightforward. Combine that with a pretty poor product on the floor, and there wasn't much to be excited about. If that's whining in your book, then sure, I whined tonight.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2018, 10:45:15 PM »
I didn't like the experience today. It was lacking in a lot of ways. I think that's pretty straightforward. Combine that with a pretty poor product on the floor, and there wasn't much to be excited about. If that's whining in your book, then sure, I whined tonight.
You're certainly free to enjoy the games however you want, but when there's been multiple threads about people complaining that they can't get tickets because the games sold out, you have a ticket and choose to watch the game 2 blocks away at a bar, I mean come on, you knew you'd catch some flack for that. Once again, your tickets, use em how you want, but given the circumstances, I can certainly understand some people being irritated with your rational.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »
You're certainly free to enjoy the games however you want, but when there's been multiple threads about people complaining that they can't get tickets because the games sold out, you have a ticket and choose to watch the game 2 blocks away at a bar, I mean come on, you knew you'd catch some flack for that. Once again, your tickets, use em how you want, but given the circumstances, I can certainly understand some people being irritated with your rational.

Plus the burger thing is super offensive. I just don’t get it. What’s next?! Wearing a Greek (and not Roman) outfit tomorrow?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2018, 10:48:20 PM »
I liked the game being played there. Packed house loud at times.  Nice.   Game got iffy towards the end, but the team pulled it out.   Looking for reward to sunday

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2018, 10:55:20 PM »

Sure, makes sense. But I did go. I just didn't finish the game. Sitting by large groups of kids bouncing around and not paying attention didn't help, being squeezed into the bleachers to make room for said kids was also less than enjoyable, and then the game itself was not fun in the first half. I'm fine with taking some flak for making a logical decision to leave. Plus, I earned some points with the wife who was feeling the same way. I'll take the pros of the decision over the cons of strangers critiquing my behavior any day.

I asked in my original post if I was the outlier in not enjoying the experience, and it looks like I probably was. No big deal. I can see why some people might like it. It just didn't do it for me.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2018, 10:56:28 PM »

I think it’s funny you were the guy in this thread calling out others for thinking they were better fans than you.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=5488.0

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2018, 11:02:32 PM »
I think it’s funny you were the guy in this thread calling out others for thinking they were better fans than you.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=5488.0

That link is 10 years old. Are you kidding me? Did you really just go through all my history to find that? 1,000 posts ago? Yikes..

feedback