Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Pitts  (Read 14649 times)

tower912

• All American
The Pitts
« on: November 18, 2016, 05:34:51 PM »
1.   KR, JjJ, I am looking at you.  Duane needs some of your minutes.     
2.   Playing defense while fearing your 4th foul is not really playing defense. 
3.  What is MU not doing that makes the official blow the whistle on a drive?
4.  Oh, that is what the big deal about Rowsey is.  Obviously it won't happen every night, but now we know it can happen against major competition.     
5.  9 straight makes for Pitt?    Tin man defense.     Bring in Cohen.    What is the worst that can happen?
6.   Doogie is not a strong man defender against athletic forwards.  I realize that he is the future and I am looking forward to it. 
7.   Luke is an average big who can't defend on the perimeter.   Every good coach is going to force him to guard in space. 
8.  I predicted 4 losses this year due to an inability to secure a late defensive rebound.     The official count is now 1.   Not the only reason, obviously, but the winning points for Pitt were scored on an extended possession off of an offensive rebound. 
9.  I want Duane on the floor and not Hauser in the end game situation.   Freshmen should not shoot end-game 3's.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: The Pitts
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 05:36:42 PM »
Wojo - discuss

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
10. Rengotiate Wojo's deal, tell him the new one expires at the end of this season.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »
I don't think it is, but in my opinion, Wojo's seat should be getting warm. Two inexcusable losses for different reasons, but just poor roster management pervasive in both

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 05:37:21 PM »
Damn.

This was a winnable game. We should have won and we failed.

After four games, my biggest fear is we are headed down an instant replay of last year.

We're making freshmen mistakes -- AGAIN. This time as sophomores.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »
Idk what's funnier

This collapse, wojos coaching or you pinning this on a rebound
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 05:37:50 PM »
1.   KR, JjJ, I am looking at you.  Duane needs some of your minutes.     
2.   Playing defense while fearing your 4th foul is not really playing defense. 
3.  What is MU not doing that makes the official blow the whistle on a drive?
4.  Oh, that is what the big deal about Rowsey is.  Obviously it won't happen every night, but now we know it can happen against major competition.     
5.  9 straight makes for Pitt?    Tin man defense.     Bring in Cohen.    What is the worst that can happen?
6.   Doogie is not a strong man defender against athletic forwards.  I realize that he is the future and I am looking forward to it. 
7.   Luke is an average big who can't defend on the perimeter.   Every good coach is going to force him to guard in space. 
8.  I predicted 4 losses this year due to an inability to secure a late defensive rebound.     The official count is now 1.   Not the only reason, obviously, but the winning points for Pitt were scored on an extended possession off of an offensive rebound. 
9.  I want Duane on the floor and not Hauser in the end game situation.   Freshmen should not shoot end-game 3's.
Du at the end would've been big. He consistently drove to the hoop and at least may have drawn a foul.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »
Our seniors were bad.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 05:38:17 PM »
Not sure about the play calls at the end. Don't think a drive into the trees with Rowsey or a looong 3 was the answer.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 05:38:44 PM »
And Sandy would not help.

Did you see our out of control offense? What is he going to fix?

4 straight years of garbage

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 05:39:36 PM »
Wojo - discuss
I have yet to see any reason to believe. And we now have a decent sample size
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 05:39:50 PM »
PF, winning points scored off of offensive rebound.    Fact.    Not getting big rebounds with 90 seconds left in a tie game costs you.    How do you dispute that?

Wojo's mistakes today were in his use of his rotation.    Try Cohen on Young.  Could his defense have been any worse than what was played?   Get Duane in for the last possession. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 05:39:56 PM »
Coaching is horrible.
 Pitt not very good at all, we are worse.  After watching the Gavitt games we are way behind the top and middle of conference. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 05:41:09 PM »
Damn.

This was a winnable game. We should have won and we failed.

After four games, my biggest fear is we are headed down an instant replay of last year.

We're making freshmen mistakes -- AGAIN. This time as sophomores.

U realize we start 3 seniors right?  We r not young, we stink!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

outlookyo

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 05:43:20 PM »
Long time (5-6 year) lurker here.  This game made me so angry I had to finally make an account to say how disappointed I am with this program. 

Looking at our play the first 4 games, you may be okay with 2-2 but its clear we will not make the tournament once again.  Wojo's coaching has simply not been good enough since he arrived. He has no more leeway from me.  He either starts winning or he needs to be gone.  Its depressing how far this program has fallen.

Finally, thus far Katin has been the most disappointing player I've seen in some time.

Praying we can turn this thing around but judging from the team under Wojo making the exact same mistakes and losing the exact same games as the past few years I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:46:08 PM by outlookyo »

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 05:43:35 PM »
Our offense is like a funnel, and so preditable already.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
Agree with all on the last possession--poor designs lead to poor outcomes. This doesn't feel like last year though. Last year was freshmen mistakes. Today was bad strategy and lousy D. We lost a heartbreaker to a good team that exploited our weaknesses...feels like the late aughts rather than 2015-16. Like those teams, I think we'll be okay.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 05:44:13 PM »
PF, winning points scored off of offensive rebound.    Fact.    Not getting big rebounds with 90 seconds left in a tie game costs you.    How do you dispute that?

Wojo's mistakes today were in his use of his rotation.    Try Cohen on Young.  Could his defense have been any worse than what was played?   Get Duane in for the last possession.

We lost the game when we let them make 9 shots in a row and blew a 15 pt lead.

The fact you are putting it all on 1 long rebound is hilarious.

Not Luke missing free throws, not Rowsey biffing two drives(after the rebound), not Hauser missing a shot.

LOL

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 05:45:07 PM »
Agree with all on the last possession--poor designs lead to poor outcomes. This doesn't feel like last year though. Last year was freshmen mistakes. Today was bad strategy and lousy D. We lost a heartbreaker to a good team that exploited our weaknesses...feels like the late aughts rather than 2015-16. Like those teams, I think we'll be okay.

Stop calling Pitt a good team

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 05:45:20 PM »
Up by 15, Reinhardt inexplicably launches two threes.  JJJ drives out of control, turns it over multiple times, and doesn't hustle back on defense.  At certain times they simply decide they are going to shoot whether they have good shots or not.  Completely let Pitt back into the game.
And how does Wojo not try a different defense on Young??
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 05:47:14 PM »
That was not a good team. If we don't see drastic improvement in several areas we won't sniff the tournament
No Finish Line

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 05:47:34 PM »
Stop calling Pitt a good team

How do you define good team? They were a tournament team last year and have a good chance to be one again this year. I'd sure love for Marquette to be at that level.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »
Going the last 7+ minutes without a basket.  No Assists after the 10 min mark in 2nd half.  5' Guards recklessly driving without looking for our C or kick outs.  A defensive scheme that seems to elude our players.  That's on Wojo.  Team took a step back this week.  Not impressed with their awareness

nyg

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 05:50:10 PM »
JJJ and Reinhardt were 4 for 22 from field.
Carter had 4 fouls in six minutes.
MU was 7 for 26 from three.
Fischer only took five shots and wasn't an option on last two plays.?????????
Pitt scored only 9 straight because Fischer was guarding Young and afraid to pick up fourth foul, someone else needed to guard him.
Back door defense has been brutal last two games.
I'll give Heldt a thumbs up, even though not that talented, played great minutes tonight.

Wojo has recruited shooters (I guess) in last two years and that is not really working out right now.  The lack of bulk/size up front will continue to haunt them throughout the year.  I picked them going 1-4 in those five important out of conference games and I hope I am wrong.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 05:50:34 PM »
Up by 15, Reinhardt inexplicably launches two threes. 
Listening on the radio and at this point I thought to myself oh no we didn't need to do that. Winning teams don't do that with a 15 point lead.