[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Post game thoughts  (Read 20788 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Post game thoughts
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 09:51:40 AM »
Hey, and least we aren't DePaul who lost by 34 to a French team.  (Who admittedly is probably a lot better than the team we played yesterday.)

http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081215aaa.html

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 09:56:30 AM »
Most importantly, since games with Icelandic teams are few and far between, we could be looking at decades of bragging rights in Iceland. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 09:58:24 AM »
From what I can gather, that French team plays in the third division. For English football fans, it would be like a team from League One.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 10:16:07 AM »
From what I can gather, that French team plays in the third division. For English football fans, it would be like a team from League One.

The heck with English football fans, what about D1 NCAA basketball fans?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 02:49:15 PM »
The heck with English football fans, what about D1 NCAA basketball fans?

It's like DePaul playing DePaul.  Someone is going to win - doesn't matter by how much - but you know it's going to be painful to watch.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »
Glad I wasn't alone. Mike is a great guy - and he openly asked for feedback on the broadcast - so I hope he reads this site. Mike couldn't stop interrupting the play-by-play guy. It was rare when he let him completely finish a sentence. Annoyed the hell out of me so I muted the broadcast. Color commentary isn't easy - yesterday was a good reminder of that. Hopefully someone gives him the head's up that sometimes less is more. Or that he should occasionally let his counterpart complete a thought without being talked over. The only way to go is up. That having been said - we're extremely spoiled to even have these broadcasts available to us.

I watched ten minutes of the game before my ears started bleeding from Broeker's commentary; you're supposed to be providing color analysis on the game, Mike, not MU's basketball program.  Sounds like a damn infomercial... I'm expecting Mike to toss out an 800-number for season tickets at just $99 per month on the EZ-Pay plan.

I'd rather listen to the radio broadcasts for UK, KU, NC, and Dayton before I'd listen to Broeker again.  Heck, I'd even listen to their college radio stations' post-game shows before I'd put Broeker on the air - or YouTube - ever again.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 03:43:16 PM »
I'm not gonna be to tough on Broeker.  I think this was his 1st time.   Kent Sommerfeld has to fill in somewhat regularly and is pretty bad.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »
I'm not gonna be to tough on Broeker.  I think this was his 1st time.   Kent Sommerfeld has to fill in somewhat regularly and is pretty bad.
he was awful-
like listening to Dick Butkus scream/talk over the play-by-play guy all the time- sort of like McCarren.
annoying as hell.

that said, it was only a stream-
glad to have something to watch.
enjoyed much of what I saw from the team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 03:57:50 PM »
Jeez guys it was a summer league game from Italy.  I'm just glad that we can even see these things.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 04:02:19 PM »
Jeez guys it was a summer league game from Italy.  I'm just glad that we can even see these things.

Marquette fans

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 04:04:14 PM »
Broeker was fine.  It's not his day job and he was knowledgable. 

He should still come up with his own catch phrase.  Italian for balls is my suggestion.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »

Well to put it in perspective, Davante was the MVP of the French second division.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »
I really didn't think Broeker was that bad. Of course I barely listen to the announcers during the games. But talk of ears bleeding  due to his broadcast is unnecessary. He had never done this before and did just fine for his first broadcast. I've heard worse from professionals
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 04:46:25 PM »
Broeker is fine so long as he doesn't talk over Thomas anymore.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 04:56:22 PM »
I really didn't think Broeker was that bad. Of course I barely listen to the announcers during the games. But talk of ears bleeding  due to his broadcast is unnecessary. He had never done this before and did just fine for his first broadcast. I've heard worse from professionals

+1

Thomas was very good, Mike did fine. He made a few mistakes, but he's as new to this as most of our roster. For a guy that doesn't do it for a living, he did okay. I'm sure he'll also learn from the mistakes he did make and improve the next time out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 05:03:35 PM »
I saw NOrth Dakota beat these guys pretty good.

Probably not much to read into though.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2015, 05:31:45 PM »

Exactly.  We should consider ourselves blessed to have access to these games.  #mubbontvinaugust!

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 05:32:35 PM »
Think part of the problem with the broadcast was it seemed to be 2 separate audio feeds.  When  i had my earphones in play by play was in the right and Broeker was in the left.  I wonder if Broeker could hear the play by play guy in his earphone.  I thought the play by play guy was great, seemed to have done his homework and mix in a few European way of saying things thought it was very entertaining.  Also thought Broeker was fine except for talking over sometimes but that may have been a technical problem if there were separate audio feeds.

Read that depaul had trouble with You tube and went to some other feed with no audio or graphics.  As I have said many times before if you think we are struggling look at Depaul for consolation.  Depaul lost to a 4th division team, there was a story on Grantland about players trying to get contracts in Europe and 4th division paid for a shared apartment and 2 meals a day and no salary, guessing talent level not so good.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 05:38:04 PM »
No injuries.  No broken white boards.  No freak landing on neck.  All in all, a very good game.  Looking forward to the next one.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2015, 05:43:08 PM »
I thought Broker was insightful and interesting.  My biggest problem with him was he was too big of a homer.  It got so bad that he even got the play by play guy commenting like an MU homer in agreement.  Broeker never spoke up when MU got the benefit of a missed call or a bad call, but he always made it known when he thought the refs missed a call or made a call that did not favor MU, and even continued to bring it back up multiple possessions later.  I thought the refs were very good (the game was called too tight overall, but they were very consistent and very in control of the game).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2015, 05:47:57 PM »
I thought Broker was insightful and interesting.  My biggest problem with him was he was too big of a homer.  It got so bad that he even got the play by play guy commenting like an MU homer in agreement.  Broeker never spoke up when MU got the benefit of a missed call or a bad call, but he always made it known when he thought the refs missed a call or made a call that did not favor MU, and even continued to bring it back up multiple possessions later.  I thought the refs were very good (the game was called too tight overall, but they were very consistent and very in control of the game).

Wade's I love ya dude, but who gives a f.ck if he was a homer?  Nobody gives a sh.t about the Iceland team on our broadcast.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »
Wade's I love ya dude, but who gives a f.ck if he was a homer?  Nobody gives a sh.t about the Iceland team on our broadcast.

Just loses some credibility to me when he makes sure not to miss calling out a missed call that doesn't go MU's way but doesn't open his mouth once when MU benefits.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2015, 06:05:14 PM »
If you think we are giving Broeker a hard time, you should go see what they are saying over  on the Hauker board. I've seen hlutdræg maður fyrir heimaliðið thrown around a few times.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:21:16 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2015, 07:29:27 PM »
Hey, and least we aren't DePaul who lost by 34 to a French team.  (Who admittedly is probably a lot better than the team we played yesterday.)

http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081215aaa.html

Wow DePaul mentions the bus driver before the coach or any players.
"The travel party boarded the bus with driver Joop Timmers around 9:30 a.m. local time Wednesday and made the two-hour trip south to Mont St. Michel."
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2015, 08:58:24 PM »
Just loses some credibility to me when he makes sure not to miss calling out a missed call that doesn't go MU's way but doesn't open his mouth once when MU benefits.

What credibility?  He's not a professional announcer.  He is providing commentary to a Marquette audience on a Youtube channel.